Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Hot_Momma

Default The Celebrity Cruise that almost wasnt

About 10 months ago I booked a cruise through an online company with no local presence. I thought I was getting a great deal by saving 75.00 over what my local travel agent was charging for the same cruise. What a nightmare! I purchased the air through the cruise line and there was a schedule change on the flights I was put on totally different flights and was never contacted by the "company" and advised of the schedule change. So I found myself at the Boise airport trying to call this company that I really want to name but wont. After holding on my cell phone for 25 minutes my batteries ran out and I had to go to a pay phone and start all over again. 45 minutes later I finally contacted someone who told me that an updated air itinerary was mailed to me 3 months earlier and that it was ultimately my responsibility to check with the airlines for schedule changes. Bottom line is I had to purchase a full fare airline ticket from Boise to Fort Lauderdale at the last minute and then fight with this company for 5 weeks to get reimbursed. They did ultimately reimburse me for the cost of the ticket but that really isnt the point. So a word of warning to those of you looking to save a buck by bypassing a real travel agent. Dont do it! Its not worth it! I came home and went crawling back to my Travel Agent begging for forgiveness, When things go wrong you really dont want to be pressing 1 for tour packages, 2 for car rentals, 3 for cruises.....press 1 for Caribbean, press 2 for Alaska....press 1 if this is regarding a new booking...press 2 if this is an existing booking.....press 1 if this is urgent...press 2 if you are calling just for the hell of it......Your call is very important to us..please hold..............please hold.......please hold.............we are sorry for the inconvenience but your sailaway party has just started....please hold......please hold............
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Default Re: The Celebrity Cruise that almost wasnt

I'll give you my response in a moment , I know it is important to you, "please hold".
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:28 AM
David Starkey

I understand your concerns, however, the airlines made the schedual change and it always incumbent on the person flying to keep up with the airline. Scheduals are always changinging with them. I have had three schedual changes on my most recent cruise.
No one or orgainization seems to follow through on details these days, thats why we have to.
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:35 AM
First Mate

David is right. My last cruise the airline changed the flight and never notified us. Had
I not gone into the website and looked I would have never known.

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Yeoman

Not to be cruel but if you can post a message about it on your computer, you can check an airline schedule on it too. We are living in a society of victims!
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

First big tip... when avoidable, don't book cruise line air. They are generally more expensive, with bad routes and connections.

Secondly.. if you have to use cruise line air (for some reason), request air devation, and choose your own route and carrier.

Thirdly... no matter who books your air, call and confirm your flights and seat selection. With cruise line air, if they do assign seats, you can end up sitting apart from your traveling companion.

I'd actually say that you did alright by the travel agency convincing them to reimburse your airfare. They likely did it as a PR gesture, certainly not out of obligation.

Old June 28th, 2005, 02:26 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: The Celebrity Cruise that almost wasnt

Sad story but unfortunately not uncommon in todays world. My advice, always book the air yourself, and fly in a day ahead just in case of a major screw up beyond your control.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Billy Bob

My travel agent always notifies me even if there is a 5 minute change in flight times. That is why it pays to use a travel agent. A good travel agent will check on those things for you and notify you of any schedule changes. Sure I almost always pay a little more for going through a traditional travel agent but to me its worth the extra 50.00 to 100.00 to have someone working for me when I need help in bad situations. Its kind of like purchasing insurance. Those online companies are very impersonal and almost always impossible to get a hold of.