Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2005, 01:28 AM
Lisasf

Default Anyone stayed in an Accessible Stateroom before?

Hi there,

I am thinking about booking my first cruise on Infinity to Alaska. The room they have available right now is an Accessible Stateroom (6105). Has anyone stayed in that type of room before? The room seems bigger than the regular staterooms, which can be quite nice!

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:59 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Anyone stayed in an Accessible Stateroom before?

Have not cruised on a Millie class ship as yet. Last January on the Galaxy, we had an outside accessible cabin and they are quite large. Entrance going into the cabin are much larger to accomodate a wheel chair. One of the closets has a pull down hanging rod to put your clothes on. Bathroom is much larger and entrance is not a step up but a ramp and the door is a sliding one. Shower is large (curtain) with a fold down seat and handrails all around. Sink is a tab lower and open to accomdate a wheel chair. Main part of the cabin is more spacious because of wheel chair accessablity. Hope this info helps.

Old July 5th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Donna Rhodes

I cruised on the Millenium 4/05 and stayed in an accessible room. It was soooooo much bigger than the other staterooms that our companions had. The above description follows suit on the Millie class ships. I would book again in a second. It was the same size as the suite next door but did not have all the perks. It was however very comfortable.

Donna
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:18 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Anyone stayed in an Accessible Stateroom before?

I saw an accessible room on the Voyager our last cruise and it was very large. Plenty of room. Bathroom is very big as well.

Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Beginner

I agree with 7cees. If you get bumped or upgraded, thatís one thing. But to book a room that is for wheelchairs is not cool. Since these ships have such a limited amount of accessible cabins on them, we should leave those open for the folks that need them!
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Actually booking an accessible cabin you are agree to take the risk of being bumped to another cabin if a person with disabilities needs the cabin.

You are in fact not "taking away" a handicapped person's potential cabin.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:23 AM
7cees

That is one big myth. Most cruise lines do not check once the cabin is booked.
Old July 8th, 2005, 12:14 PM
7cees

Interesting topic.

I have interviewed AB passengers who had their travel agent lie just so they could have an accessible cabin, because (the perception was) it provided more room. These folks told me that their travel agent didn't want to lie but "she knew what side her bread is buttered on" and they said they would take their businesss elsewhere if she didn't.

So I find the travel agent just as much at fault. And that is not an isolated incident.

Still, most crusie lines now at least make you self-declare that you have a disability (and many ask what) in order to book an accessible cabin. I think that's as far as I'd like to see it go. I'd hate to see it become a rule for people who want to cruise to have to get a doctors statement (some could just get their doctor to lie for them anyway, so it really doesn't accomplish much.)

I think there should be some oversight, but I don't think PWDs should be made to jump through more hoops (and pay for a doctors visit) just to go on vacation.

Candy Harrington
Editor, Emerging Horizons
Old August 16th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Admiral

I always think those cabins should be left for those in need until final payments are due, then they are fair game, or so it seems to me.

When the cruise line needs a wheelchair accessible cabin, they will call and ask if you are able to change or if you do in fact need such a cabin. We had this experience but I'm sure it depends on the cruiseline and specific cruise line personnel.

Sometimes it is not a black and white situation. If you have had a knee injury or knee surgery for instance, you may need a wheelchair from time to time. Then a wheelchair accassible cabin may be a blessing but not totally necessary.This happened to us when David hurt his leg and we were very happy to have the wheelchair there for the days he was in the most severe pain.

That time we just had a standard cabin and it really did work fine with the two of us, but would not have worked so well for a single person I'm sure.
Old August 16th, 2005, 09:52 AM
jknichols

My sister and I were inquiring about booking a cruise a year in advance. When our travel agent found out that my sister has a disability, she asked us if we would like to book an accessible cabin. She said that we would be required to provide proof of her disability with either a doctor's note or a copy of her disabled parking placard.

We admitted to her that we were tempted by the larger size, but that we would rather book a standard cabin because her disability really doesn't require her to have larger space or a specially equipped cabin. Our TA then told us that we could waitlist the accessible cabin so that if a disabled person didn't book it, we would be first in line to get it when Celebrity released it to the general public.

So it appears that at least early in the booking process (we were booking over a year in advance), the accessible cabins cannot be booked without proper proof, but later as the cruise draws nearer, it can be booked by anyone.
Old August 16th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were wait listed on the Mercury for an accessible cabin. No one needed it, so we got it. We wanted it for the larger veranda it had, but also enjoyed the larger bathroom and space between the beds and other furnishings.
Old August 18th, 2005, 11:04 PM
j h roman

One big problem with most ships is that many or most of the accesible cabins are far forward or aft, making it VERY difficult to reach the elevator from 8-noon and 5-9 due to the steward's carts blocking the hallways. Too, if one is renting a wheelchair/cart commercially, it is necessary that the cruise be from and to the same port, in order to return it/them. Then, use of the lighters is difficult/impossible, so all ports should be at piers. Then, NOT the ship's fault, ,each port is different, accessibilty-wise. Few, if any, ship tours will accommodate a wheelchair and none a cart. Taxis or other port transportation is very iffy or non-existent. To the good side, we've found ship's crew extremely accommodating and more than willing to help us over any problem---once we have boarded the ship. Still, cruising is the best way to travel when you are disabled.