Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2005, 01:06 PM
First Mate

Default Mercury.. you decide

I'm going to leave the decision to all you wonderful new friends. For our first Alaska cruise[and our fifth cruise] and our best friends first I've decided the Celebrity Mercury sounds wonderful. Except for a few postings that suggest the ship is looking worn and shabby. What is your most recent experience? Worn and stained carpets, faded upholstery on chairs, old looking decor? I'll decide based on your advice. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Hot_Momma

Default Re: Mercury.. you decide

If you feel that worn carpeting and the like will have a major impact on your vacation then by all means choose another ship. I sailed the Mercury last February and there were signs of wear and tear but I dont go on a cruise to look at the condition of the carpeting and the furniture. The crew on board Mercury is as good as it gets. The service was impecable. Te ship is beautiful. If your going on your cruise to give it the white glove treatment then you might want to rethink the Mercury. If your going to have a wonderful cruise experience despite the minor wear and tear then Mercury would be a great choice.
Old July 10th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Karynanne

We were on the Mercury in May and the ship looks wonderful. Minor, minor wear was evident. I wouldn't have even noticed, had I not ever read the boards. She's as grand as ever. So much so, that we've booked another cruise on her in Oct.! This will be our 5th on the Mercury alone. If anything, I feel that the service and food was really stepped up! Go on the Mercury and have a fabulous cruise!!

Karyn
Old July 10th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

We were on the same cruise as Karynanne. The Mercury is still in fine shape.
The wear I saw was very minor. The service was excellent and food very good to excellent.

Some individuals start out on the wrong foot for a cruise then post messages on anything, as wear and tear.
I always look for myself and not believe others.
Go, have a great time.

Sea of Cortez on Ryndam 9-28-2005

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Vancouver Alaska Los Angeles, Sept 16, 2006 on Summit

Old July 10th, 2005, 06:19 PM
claude gareau

Hi,

MERCURY is, above all , a CELEBRITY ship. As such, she's as good as ever.
She,,like any ship starting to age a bit, will show signs of it....but routine year to year
maintenance takes care of most of the '' little '' things as well as ensuring she is
mechanically sound day in, day out ( and she is !! ).
Grandma has aged over the years....and boy, does it show....BUT, that apple
pie of hers is as good as ever, if not better with every passing year....!!!!! Any cruise
line ship is the same: age may show but the essentials are ,like wine, getting
even better with the passing months. Karrynanne,earlier, hit it right on the head.
MERCURY's older sister, CENTURY, is going thru a huge '' mid-life '' refit and
upgrade next spring....you can bet GALAXY,then MERCURY will be right behind
in the drydock schedule for 2006,or 2007. Then, they'll put the MILLIE class in
an aging perspective....and still those ships are going to be CELEBRITY ships above
all else; THAT is your guarantee.

Happy Sailing
Enjoy
CG
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:08 AM
David Starkey

I just got off the Mercury on Friday and had a very good cruise. The ship is in good to very good shape and I found no major area's showing serious signs of wear.
The crew and staff are just excellent and a true delight to cruise with. This is my favorite Celebrity ship, both in design and staffing so I have sailed her from her start in 1997.
The food selection and variety has declined from previous years, but is still as good or better than similar lines in this price range.(HAL,CCL,RCI,NCL,Princess).
Its the ships staff/crew and warm feeling that you get when you board this ship that will keep me returning to an old friend(the Mercury).
To me, this ship and its staff just seems to shine, cruise after cruise. It beats the other Celebrity ships that I have sailed too.

Best Wishes
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Mercury a few months ago...she is a lovely ship...

As I have stated on previous post, the public rooms are beautiful. The staff and service is exceptional. The food excellent.

The Spa and pool...beautiful, and we used it almost everyday.

We took advanage of the Library, internet services and even the little movie theatre. All very very nice.

BUT on the other hand...

Our Sky Suite cabin #1222 on the Sky Deck was in poor condition and needed some detailed TLC. In our 10 day cruise we experienced...several broken chairs, (they were quickly replaced)

The sliding glass door handle fall off..(Maintenance fixed it the next day)

Toilet wouldn't flush and tub would not drain (It took manintenance several days to finally correct this situation)

Carpet and drapery very worn, somewhat dirty and torn...

But from reading other post on this site...other cabins seem fine...so this just might have been our experience in that particular cabin. (BTW: The veranda is WONDERFUL on the Sky deck!)

On the upside...all of our distress calls and requests were taken seriously and manintenance dealt with each situation as quickly and as best they could.

Would we sail on the Mercury again. Maybe...

Would we sail Celebrity again...YES! Because none of the above affected our overall experience. We have since booked two future Celebrity cruises. The one on the Summit for December we booked while on the Mercury and then we booked the Infinity for early 2006...

Our overall experience on the Mercury was great! I'm sure that yours will be also.

Old July 12th, 2005, 10:23 PM
First Mate

THANK YOU all for taking the time to reply. I will book for next May and know this will be the best cruise so far. Much love to all.
Old July 13th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Frank Black

I have been on the Mercury two years ago. I don't care too much about the condition of public spaces. But if cabins are shabby, I care. Especially if smoke smells have gotten into the carpets and drapes. This happened to me on the Rhapsody of the Seas. We had to have the sofa removed and drapes replaced. The box spring under the beds stunk. The smell of smoke was over powering.
Old July 13th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Luthien

My family and I also got off the Mercury on Friday, July 8 (Alaska sailing) of this year.

It was our first cruise, so we don't have the same perspective as David Starkley, but we were extremely impressed with the ship/service and didn't feel that anything was lacking at all. Especially the service, which - as Celebrity promises - did try to make the guests feel "famous." All in all, we had a fantastic cruise, and nothing could have been better.

Apparantly, out of the entire Celebrity line, Mercury has consistently received the highest rankings for service. I believe it.

I'm sure that you and your friends will have a wonderful time in Alaska on Mercury. It is in all respects a beautiful ship.