Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:19 PM
jknichols

Default Re: Dress code?

Spoken like somebody who has never actually been on Carnival. I have been on Celebrity, Carnival, Princess and RCCL. You'd be surprised how similar they really are. People over here on the Celebrity board like to think they're on a "premium" cruiseline, but once you've tried them all, it becomes apparent that they're a whole lot more alike than different. Believe it or not, these dress codes threads become just as heated over on the Carnival board (as well as on the Princess and RCCL boards) with the tired old mantra "if you don't like to dress up, try a different cruiseline" common among all the boards.
Old July 30th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Captain

Did the guy with the Hibachi wear a dark suit or tux while grillin' the burgers? ; ^ )
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

After reading this post and seeing that we are not alone and really not even in a minority I am going to talk all of them into just skipping the formal dining and going for the alternative

And that's an entirely appropriate thing to do for those who are uninterested in "formal" nights... exactly why the cruise line offers a casual alternate area.

I don't think ANYONE would ever suggest it's not appropriate to dine in the casual alternative restaurant if that's what you choose. The "arguement" is normally about those who choose to attend the dining room in their casual attire.

On a side note... for discussion purposes.. on the term "suggested dress ". I've received (as probably many of you have) invitations to weddings or other events where the invitations read ... Black Tie Invited.

The don't say "black tie mandatory", but I dont' think anyone would consider showing up to such an event in dockers and a golf shirt.

But the purpose of wording an invitation in such a way is clear, yet there's an appropriate etiquette in the way it's expressed. It's simply good manners to say "black tie invited" rather than "don't come if you can't dress up" <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:17 AM
Passenger

Wow this topic is about as hot as the weather here in Phoenix!
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Dress code?

My Goodness!! This is as heated as a political race!! We are cruising again for the first time in 16 years and yes, we will abide to the requested dress code. If my DH didn't already own a tux, we would simply rent one to take with us. I can't believe people would try to buck the system over what to wear for dinner!! That's the problem, why not just conform and try not to make a spectacle of yourself by standing out?? I think a suit is fine on formal night if the cruise line says it is. When we go to dinners that are "black tie optional", my DH wears his tux as do most of our friends but those who don't want to wear a nice suit. This is worse than whether woman should wear a long dress or a short dress!! By the way, I think long, but that is me. This thread keeps me laughing as much as the hockey tape one does! Except some of you are not as nice!!
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:50 PM
Familiar Face

We have always followed the suggested dress code on all of our cruises. So what, who cares if someone wheres a tuxedo or a formal gown. Have you ever stopped to think that for some people going on cruise is something they don't get to do often and simply can't afford a tuxedo or a glamerous formal gown. By me wearing a tuxedo on formal night that doesn't make me any better than person who wears a pair of dockers and a button up shirt. You people need to quit judging others because of what they wear and take a look at yourself.

Post Edited (08-01-05 12:52)
3 Holland America cruises
1 Celebrity cruise
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:02 PM
Bobrich

Dress guidelines are helpful. After many years of cruising, dressing up is definitely on its way overboard. Longer cruises are more "formal". and not very dressy either. I used to bring my very formal stuff, tux etc. Not anymore. Dark suit or a neat sportsjacket is acceptable. Who really cares. Last year we lost our luggage and did formal night in very casual clothes. Nobody cared. We lost our formal clothes. This year I am NOT taking formal clothes. Celebrity lost them... and so they go. Just be tidy and polite. I'd never try wearing bluejeans to dinner, but I've done black jeans without any problems. I do like to get dressed up, but I wouldn't go out and buy new formal clothes just for a cruise. After losing my luggage, I'm only taking old and ordinary inexpensive clothes that I couldn't care if they get lost. I'm also a carryon fan now. Wish I had carried on more last year when my luggage was lost.
Old August 5th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Celine

Default Re: Re: Dress code?

What about dress during the day? We are taking a Pacific Northwest cruise and it will be chilly. So, for days aboard, what would be suggested?
Old August 5th, 2005, 12:35 PM
hcat

When are you doing Pacific NW--we are too in Sept. on Merc. I have been told layers will be good with rain jacket just in case & also shorts as it can also be warm On the other topic--been there done that-- I have my formal clothes ready & will enjoy it & hope we have nice tablemates who also dress well--if not make the best of it --not the end of the world--but at least our photos will look nice for 30th anniv...