Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Passenger

Default Dress code?

This may be a hot topic but I am curious about how strict or relaxed the dress code policy is on the Mercury for casual, semiformal, and formal dress? TX
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Dress code?

Those not sticking to strict code standard are taken to a stern deck and beaten severly with a rubber hose. I the off chance that this is not happening, you will find that for "casual" shorts and jeans are not appropriate for the evening meal in the dining room. The semi formal is what other lines call "smart casual". Celebrity suggests a sport jacket for men. You will find many without that. Formal would generally mean tux or dark suit for men. You will find many in not more than a sports coat and a few in only a dress shirt.
Old July 28th, 2005, 11:26 AM
CruisingChick

This isn't really an answer to your question but more the lines of another question.

Why do people take cruises if they don't want to get dressed up for dinner? Stay home or take a land based vacation or cruise on another line which is more casual, i.e. NCL.

Why do people always have to make excuses for not dressing up or trying to go to the dining room inappropriately dressed.

That's the one thing we love about cruising is dressing up.

Most people on Celebrity cruises DO adhere to the suggested dress code.

Anne Maria
Old July 28th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Admiral

for evening dining: Casual - Men - Dockers type pants, polo or button-down short-sleeve shirt, hawaiian print, casual shoes
Casual - Ladies - sundress, sheath dress w/flat sandals or kitten heels, skirt and blouse, dockers typs trousers with a nice blouse- sandals, kitten heels or flats, dressier capris and a cute top have also been seen.

Semi-Formal - men - dress pants, shirt-tie, sports jacket, dress shoes.
Ladies - daytime wedding wear, flowing, flowery print dress, dress skirt
with a nice blouse, pantsuit, dress sandals or shoes

Formal - Tux or Suit for men - dress shirt, tie, dress shoes
Ladies - long dress or gown , i like something with a bit of sparkle, dressy long skirt with a dressy silk or sparkly blouse, dressy platazzo pant suits, dressy cocktail dress, dress heels.

Shorts, t-shirts, and jeans are NOT allowed in the dining rooms during dinner hours even on casual nights.

Great point Anne Maria - the dress code should be a non-issue -imo. The cruise lines have a written suggested dress code each evening.
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Dress code?

Call me crazy - but we are actually taking a cruise because of the places it goes, not because we dress up. I do not mind getting all decked out it is not just something I wanted to worry about on vacation. It seems that if we just dress like we are going to a wedding we will be okay. If not, we will just go eat in our room.
Thanks for your help
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Punch_Drunk

Wear whatever the hell you want! Im so sick of Madame Dumkoffer with her steamer trunk trying to dictate what is or is not appropriate cruise attire. Those days are gone. Over. Kaput. I never dress up on a cruise. I simply skip the dining room on formal evening and go to the alternative dining which seems to be very full on the formal evenings. Many people feel the same way about this and they cast their vote by taking the alternative dining option.
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

And "casting your vote" by dining in the alternate restaurant (Lido) is absolutely the appropriate action.

It's those who "wear what the he** they want to the dining room on formal night that people have a problem with.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 28th, 2005, 06:18 PM
jknichols

We usually do one formal night on Lido Deck dressed casual (jeans, dockers, etc.) and the other (lobster night) in the main dining room dressed in what I call "dressy casual" (plain black slacks and a pretty blouse for me and dress slacks with either a shirt/tie or a collared shirt and pullover sweater for my husband).

With each cruise I notice the casual alternatives getting more and more crowded and the main dining room dress getting less and less formal. It seems that, in one way or the other, many people are opting out of dressing up. I predict that someday in the not too distant future it will be the formal diners looking for "alternatives" while the casual diners enjoy each night in the main dining room. I sure hope so!
Old July 28th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

What I can't understand is why there is a total disregard for the dress guidelines, especially on a cruise line such as Celebrity where it is clearly spelled out in their documentation and on their website.

A customer chooses the cruise and decides to change it to meet their needs. I basically find this a form of reverse snobbery. The person does not care about the other passengers nor the guidelines, just what they want.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 28th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Passenger

I was afraid of this - a HOT topic indeed! I agree with respecting the rules; however, I am on vacation and paid good money for it. We will actually be getting off the boat to have fun and did not want to have to worry about getting back just to get all dressed up. I see both sides of this issue, honestly. I am just more on the relaxed, casual, laid back side. I picked my cruise for the intineary first and foremost.
Papabill - you cracked me up.
PunchDrunk - I absolutely will !
Old July 28th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Celebrity has chosen to maintain a "traditional" approach to cruising. Traditional assigned dining times, while many are offering more alternatives, and traditional attire. Celebrity also still has designated semi formal/smart casual nights, which the others have abandoned.

I do agree that the cruise lines would remove all the discussions and arguements about attire if they enforced their own rules.

Though I personally haven't seen it, I am told on Celebrity have been turned away from the main dining room for inappropriate dress, and directed to the more casual Lido Deck dining area.

Old July 29th, 2005, 12:04 AM
jknichols

I believe people probably have been turned away from the dining room on formal night who were totally flaunting the rules in shorts/jeans/t-shirts or the like. However, I doubt very much that anyone has ever been turned away who was dressed nicely (dressy casual, business casual, whatever you want to call it) just not formally. Celebrity cares too much about their bottom line to ever start alienating paying customers in this way.

I fully understand that Celebrity has the right to turn me away if I am not dressed up to their standards of formal and I would accept it gracefully if they ever did. However, they never have and I doubt they ever will. Their lack of interest in enforcing their "guidelines" suggests to me that lesser styles of dress are acceptable to them. The bottom line is that my agreement is with Celebrity and how I choose to dress is between me and them. I don't feel the need to dress in a way that pleases total strangers.
Old July 29th, 2005, 11:07 AM
man86

My thoughts exactly!
Old July 29th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Sandra W

Personally I don't look forward to lugging the extra baggage that carries my dressier clothes and my husbands tux or dark suite...BUT...I do believe that the formal nights are a nice touch. They can add to the cruise experience.

Most likely the tradition harks back to a time when people did dress up more for special events...even for Sunday dinner. (are you old enough to remember those days?) Men wore hats and women dresses, but we live in a more casual society now.

Cruising and sailing in general includes many many traditions. Some can be fun...a glimps into the past, an opportunity to share in something that has been done for generations.

Some traditions are a way of connecting the past to the present. Of course not everyone feels this way...some may find it more of an inconvenience, and God forbid that anyone be inconvenience!

When we cruised last with Celebrity...not everyone on formal nights wore Tuxs or formal dresses...but all were dressed very nice! Some wore dark suites or a sports jacket with nice slakes...some of the women were in evening dress, others in nice silky pants suits, etc. NONE were in jeans, shorts, or super casual casual summer dresses.

It may take a while for past traditions to catch up with present customs...Enjoy them while you can...You never know, you might later have a change of heart and miss them.
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Its simple, really, it all boils down to common courtesy and respect for your host(the cruise line) and your fellow passengers, look at it this way, would you go to an evening church wedding in shorts and a t-shirt? I would hope not, you are getting dressed out of respect for the occassion and out of respect for your host. Same goes for the cruise line, they respectfully ask you to dress accordingly for the occasion and out of deference to your fellow passengers.
They give you casual alternatives so attire really should be a non-issue.
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Punch_Drunk

I dont ever recall paying thousands of dollars for someone to be my "host". If Celebrity ever decides to give me a free cruise then I will put on a ball gown and a pair of high heels if they request it, (my wife would enjoy this im sure).
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Punch_Drunk

As for my fellow passengers, when people stop leaving crap all over the decks and blocking deck chairs and when they stop smoking and cutting in front of me in line at dinner and blocking seats in the Celebrity Theatre and the list goes on. I will at that time show respect by wearing a tuxedo at dinner. People make it seem like if you dont wear a Tuxedo on formal night its comparable to defecating in the middle of the dining room.
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:32 PM
CruisingChick

I am sure the MAJORITY of people that dress accordingly for formal nights, and the rest of the cruise for that matter, are not the same people that are leaving their "crap" all over the decks, etc. etc. From my observations the people that do what you claim are the SAME people that DON'T follow the dress code.
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Passenger

PunchDrunk - You crack me up!
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Punch_Drunk

Perhaps. Who knows for sure. I usually dont follow those people around. Usually.........
Old July 29th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Admiral

I believe those who chose to "wear what they want" are the same people who will save loungers by the pool and in the show room, cut into lines, smoke in the non smoking sections, etc or be the ones to complain loudest about those saving loungers by the pools, cutting into lines, smoking in the non smoking , tipping the staff etc.

It's a mind set...people thinking they have the right to decide what it was right, rather than compromising to fit into the environment the cruise line is trying to maintain.

As I've said many times before, it's NOT the actual clothing that's worn that is the issue, it's the mind set which the act demonstrates; a disregard for fellow passengers because "they've" paid for the vacation.

Old July 29th, 2005, 05:22 PM
jknichols

I think you are living in a delusional world if you believe that those who dress formally don't also save seats, smoke in nonsmoking sections, get drunk, etc. Go to the show lounge on any formal night and you will see just as many in gowns and tuxes saving entire rows of seats as you will in less formal attire.

I have read over and over again on these boards that 99% of the people follow the dress code on formal night (although from my experience it is far less than that). If this is true, then by your theory there would be very little chair saving, non-tipping, and inappropriate smoking going on because formal dressers are above those things. If it were just the 1% of casual dressers displaying these rude and inapproriate behaviors, as you suggest, then there would hardly be enough material to supply the pages and pages of posts related to these topics.

And the only environment that the cruiseline is trying to maintain is one that sells lots of photos on formal night. You're kidding yourself if you believe that the cruiseline cares about anything else. As I said before, what I wear is between me and the cruiseline and they seem to have accepted my attire just fine.
Old July 29th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Punch_Drunk

The only reason the polls might be skewed to show people prefer to play dress up is because most of the people who answer them are those obsessed with cruising and worrying about what other people wear.
Old July 29th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Punch_Drunk

I will show up in the dining hall naked if I want. If its a formal evening I might put on a tie but thats it!
Old July 29th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Admiral

The cruise lines also won't stop anyone from saving chairs etc etc etc.

Unfortunately most of the rules of behavior they print over and over in their daily programs aren't worth the ink used to print them-- in terms of enforcement.

But I'm not sure the standard we as passengers want to set is for everyone to do what they want, and what they can get away with. Maybe I am delusional, but I think the vast majority of cruisers would like the bar set higher than that.

But then, one cruise recently I did see someone bringing a hibatchi onboard, so you never know! Maybe soon we'll all be tailgaiting at the pool.

Old July 29th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Punch_Drunk

Habatchi???? You have got to be joking!
Old July 29th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It isn't a joke.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Admiral

I had to take a picture!

Old July 29th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have to agree with Kuki's comments !

We don't show respect for others ONLY if they show respect for us first!

We don't use our good manners ONLY if others are on their best behavior!

We do these things because they are right! Because that is the type of person we are inside, no matter what other people do or say. That's their problem. We act...not react.

Most people respond and measure up to the bar that is expected of them. If set your standards low...that's what you will get. In some ways you can see people just insist on lowering that bar.

Old July 29th, 2005, 08:31 PM
jknichols

Since it is highly doubtful that he would be allowed to use the Hibachi (fire hazard) perhaps he was bringing it as a gift for a special occasion that was being celebrated onboard or as a gift for someone he was seeing in port. Or perhaps he was just using the hibachi box to carry other items. There is often a very logical explanation for seemingly illogical events.