Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:42 PM
Passenger

Default Celebrity vs Carnival

My wife and I have been on 2 Carnival cruises and are now considering Celebrity. We are mid 50's, children are grown and moved out, and we are NOT party animals. If anyone has been on both lines, how do the two compare generally speaking? Also, what about prices (we are spoiled on the balcony cabins)

Carnival Triumph May 04
Norwegian Dawn Nov 08
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:30 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Celebrity vs Carnival

There is no comparision between celebrity and carnival. celebrity by far is the better cruise line. celebrity excels in food and service. it is a little more expensive to book a celebrity cruise but it is well worth it. you are now in your 50s and you must expect more froma cruise. you want luxury and that is what celebrity offers.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 05:00 PM
lysolqn

Someone once said it best - comparing Celebrity to Carnival is like comparing filet mignon to a MacDonald's hamburger.

IMHO some of the differences -

Celebrity's ships are elegantly appointed - Carnival's are glitzy and assault your senses.
Celebrity's food and service are far, far better than that offered by Carnival.
Carnival is a party boat with lots of drinking and carousing - Celebrity doesn't offer that party boat atmosphere, but rather offers passengers the feeling of being on an oceanliner.
Celebrity attracts an older, more widely travelled, more sophisticated and more upscale passenger load.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:07 PM
hcat

But there is still quite a bit of fun to be had on Celeb--it is not dowdy or an old age home--just elegant & classy
Old August 23rd, 2005, 09:04 AM
kvanriper

as was previously said, no comparison between the two. the hallways and rooms on carnival look like a cheap rundown motel 6. the only i repeat the only thing carnival has going for itself are the evening dinners that's it.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:28 AM
sealegs

Hi,
I'm sure Carnival was very good for you THEN, and no doubt Celebrity will be very good for you NOW.. These two lines simply appeal to different markets and demographics. Where you are now, and with your stated parameters; beyond a doubt, Celebrity is your best bet, hands down.
Happy sailings
Cheers
CG
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:23 PM
Punch_Drunk

Celebrity is not all that. You people make it seem like second coming of Christ. I have sailed Celebrity 4 times and each time the cruise was enjoyable but nothing more than that. I ahve saild Carnival and Royal Caribbean and I enjoyed those cruises the same as I enjoyed Celebrity. If I had to pick the best of the lot I would have to give the honors to Carnival. had the most fun on Carnival by far. I find the Celebrity crowd to be stuffy and aloof.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:40 PM
GailM

I have sailed twice on Carnival and in May 05 sailed Celebrity for the first time. I enjoyed both my cruises on Carnival, but I don't think it is fair to compare the two because they are so terribly different. I enjoyed the relaxed, elegant atmosphere on Celebrity and did not find it stuffy at all. My husband and I took my parents to celebrate their 50th anniversary. It was my husband's and Dad's first cruise. I was afraid that it would be a little too relaxed and stuffy for their taste. They are now ready to cruise Celebrity again! The service is top notch as I had read over and over again. Now I know that is true. We booked the Concierge Class balcony cabin which was great. Would only book this type of cabin or would splurge for a suite. I highly recommend Celebrity. Good luck!
Old August 23rd, 2005, 01:03 PM
lysolqn

Punch Drunk,

That you prefer Carnival over Celebrity because on Carnival you "had the most fun by far" is great, but it also speaks tomes about the difference between the two lines - Carnival offers a party-hearty cruise experience with the accent on party; Celebrity offers a more refined cruise experience with the accent on service.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 01:22 PM
Punch_Drunk

I didnt say my idea of fun was a party atmosphere. Indeed Carnival ships have the party atmosphere you speak of. I think the activities and the people are what makes Carnival a better option for me. As far as service.....I honestly can say that I really see no difference. Sure you get little extras on Celebrity like the Sorbet by the pool (big deal) and the cheap swill they try to pass off as champagne as you board the ship. That stuff just really doesnt do it for me. So to each his own. I just think this cruise line gets a lot of hype that is not justified. I find that I get rather bored on Celebrity but my wife enjoys them so we go.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:26 PM
Passenger

Thank you all for your input. I think we will choose Celebrity. Sound like Millenium is a good ship. The constant drinking to excess and the "WOOO"s gets a little old as the cruise progresses. We do like fun, but not rowdiness. There IS a difference; a BIG difference.

Carnival Triumph May 04
Norwegian Dawn Nov 08
Old August 23rd, 2005, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've been on several Carnival cruises as well as several Celebrity cruises. The "atmosphere" onboard is indeed fairly different. However in my experience I've never found an overwhelming "party atmosphere" on Carnival ships, nor have I encountered drinking to excess. Carnival is a lively fun atmosphere, but I've yet to see a wild frat party on any of my Carnival cruises.

Celebrity is one of my personal favorites, at the moment.... but unless you have a suite their cabins are quite a bit smaller than Carnival's. And the lounges are generally quieter at night.

Perhaps oddly, the biggest and most boisterous deck party I experienced was a couple of years back on the Celeb. Mercury. Just goes to show that "stereotypes" don't always hold true.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:06 AM
CAcruiser

I have cruised 5 times on Carnival and 3 on Celebrity and I would choose Carnival as my favorite between the two (Princess my favorite overall). I always have a good time on both cruiselines, however, I do find myself a little bored on Celebrity at times. A little too sedate for me. I must say, though, that Carnival has gotten a bad rap with the "party til you drop" reputation. I do not drink alcohol at all and I do not enjoy being around people who are drinking to excess. Believe me, if Carnival was the "party hearty" cruiseline as people seem to think, I wouldn't have chosen to cruise with them 5 times.

I honestly didn't notice any difference between service and food quality between Carnival and Celebrity (or Princess either for that matter). I found them all to be pretty much the same. I just didn't see the superior service and food on Celebrity that people speak of. As I've said, I find Celebrity to be a little too sedate for my tastes. I think Carnival and Princess are pretty equivalent as to activity level and entertainment. I would chose Princess as my favorite only because I really like the 24 hour buffet and 24 hour freshwater pools.
Old August 27th, 2005, 04:07 PM
JSH

We have been on Carnival 12 times and on Celebirty 6
times. We like Carnival far more than Celebrity. Service
is much friendlier on Carnival. That polished and refined
service on Celebrity are just fancy words for rude and
arrogant.

Celebrity is the only cruise line I know that practically demands
you stay dressed up on formal nights. Give me a break - it
is a vacation.

Also, what's wrong with a little fun on a vacation. Hell, I've
seen people have more fun at a funeral than at some
events on a Celebrity cruise.

And Celebrity's much touted Captains Club is certainly
nothing to write home about.
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:21 PM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Celebrity vs Carnival

Millennium has the finest alternative restaurant of all the cruise lines and you need to eat in the Olympic which many will say is number one.
Old August 28th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Al wRIGHR

Carnival is more of a casual party boat less formal, non discript ports and some of the lowest prices you can find.

Celebrity is much more formal or old schoolish dress up for dinner formal nights, cost a bit more but if you check bargins can be found.

I prefer Celebrity but would again go with Carnival if they were going to a port I wanted to see and the price was cheep
Old August 28th, 2005, 06:02 PM
hcat

It's all personal preference I guess. But everytime I look at the carnival brochure I can't seem to find a ship that does not seem garrish & over the top in decor--.. My favorite ships are the Radiance class on Royal--lots of brass & glass. But the Celeb M ships are also nice-some duller than others & some with wierd art but for the most part very tasteful & non-glaring..Constellation is great!
Old September 6th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Alex Skabry

Just off the Sensation (the Katrina sailing out of NOLa), a first time trip aboard Carnival after seven Celebrity trips. and one HAL. My .02$ worth ...

Food:
I am a dedicated "foodie", 30 years in the foodservice business. Celebrity's food in the main dining rooms about the same as Carnivals. Celebrity does have a better selection/quality of desserts; but by the same token, the bread on Carnival was always warm (never on Celebrity). Entrees and appetizers were basically even. Salad dressings go an edge to Celebrity. Overall main dining room food was a very minor edge to Celebrity.

The buffet lines on Carnival by far were better, offering very, very tasty fair well seasoned. Great pizza; excellent deli sandwiches. The all-you-can-eat ice cream just fair, but the burgers always have chili, sauteed mushrooms or sauteed onions readily available. Edge to Carnival for lunch, munch and jus' plain eatin'.

Edge to Celebrity for the spa cuisine on M-class ships, and for the pastry sections.

Service:
Celebrity does little service details very, very well. But Carnival's dining room put out a five course meal in 60 minutes, without ever feeling rushed. Hard to beat that, and sometimes Celebrity youd' get lost in the shuffle. But if you like things like a real musician playing in the backround, go Celebrity. If it's all that important that the waiter know you like unsweetened ice tea, ditto.

Carnival gives you a crisp pace, hot, well-seasoned food and (very) quickly served second, main courses (as in, how many lobster tails would you like sir?). Carnival's my choice in service. Again ... hard to chose, but in this instance I liked Carnival.

Atmosphere:
Like others, I'd say Celebrity is a bit too sedate. My Carnival experience - given the world atmosphere at the time - might not be typical, but still the lounges and disco's were hot places with people dancing. Edge: Carnival. Also ... Carnival charges for deck towels ... which leads to less "chaise-saving" so rampant on Celebrity. Big plus for me.

Is Carnival glitzy? Yeah ... and the artwork was waaaaay too much Park West. Edge: Celebrity (and that's comparing Sensation to the Zenith, a fair comparison)

Cabins:
Pretty much even, I'd say. Both lines offer good sized rooms.

Embarkation:
I was a Captain's Club member with Celebrity for years, and never got on as quickly as we did on the Sensation. It takes more time to get a movie ticket and popcorn at home... arrived at the dock at 11:10, and eating on the Lido deck by 11:35. Got into my (clean) room at 1 and bags delivered by 3.

Entertainment:
It's really hard to compare a five day cruise with a seven or eleven day cruise, but ... Celebrity's main dancing troupe was far better, with better environment. Again ... not a fair comparison, to look at the older Sensation vs any Celebrity ship. Across the board, the longer cruise on Celebrity had better entertainment.

Buck Banging.
It was really close. I thought Celebrity had it, hands down for value. But Carnival delivered a great deal, mostly excellent eating, fast, fine service, and a large-enough cabin and an active nightlife for less.

I'll be looking forward to a Glory-class ship when I cruise next, not an M-class ship.
Old September 6th, 2005, 08:26 PM
First Mate

Millenium is a good ship and ignore all this bullshit. the only way u are going to find out if it is a good match is if u sail with them. have fun!
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:34 PM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Celebrity vs Carnival

Having started cruising in the late 50,s from Miami and continuing to the present I have found that it is the people that make the cruise a live one or not and has nothing to do with which line you go on and we have been on all main lines and in addition those sailing out of European ports to include the old Cunard Countess with mostly those from england as passengers.I have never been on a bad cruise and it sure beats staying at home.You do need to try several different lines to make a real comparison as each has it,s strong points.The other secret is how well the cruise director and his staff is ablt to motivate the passengers into participating in the many activaties offered.
Old September 18th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Beginner

Have sailed on HAL & RCL going Carnival in a month. Husband & I are in planning stage of Med+ Gk Islands. Comparing Princess to Celebrity. We are 55. Does anyone have suggestions-comparisons or has done this type of cruise? We always book balcony.
Thanks
CaroleLee