Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Dress code questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladystella
1) Can we wear sweats during the cruise? I don't mind dressing up for dinner, but I don' want to be wearing dress pants all day, especially while relaxing on deck, or walking around. I'll be on Celebrity going to Alsaka in Sept, and I was wondering if the dress codes allows for us to wear sweats (nice sweats) while lounging around during the day.

2) For the semi-formal nights, do you think it's okay to wear black slacks, and a red sweater (I'm female). I don't want to bring a pantsuit, and I'm already bringing two dresses for the formal nights. The dress code says "Pants outfit" is okay for the semi-formal nights. Do you guys think pants and a sweater is considered a suitable "pants outfit"?

Thanks!
You can wear absolutely anything you wish on board during the day!

The red sweater and black slacks will be fine for semi-formal. (Dress on ships now is lots more lax than it use to be.) I try to wear something for semi-formal that I'd wear to a business meeting at night.

Most really do DRESS for dinner on Formal Nights and stay DRESSED all evening as requested. Love it! Everyone looks great!

~ WSEA ~
Old October 8th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Beginner

Default dress code questions

Believe me, many go back to their cabins and change into more comfortable clothing after dinner on formal nights and then attend the shows.
Old October 27th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

On my last Celebrity cruise I decided to skip the formal dinner and just dine in the casual alternative on formal night. I had no problem attending the shows or other entertainment in my casual clothes and saw others doing the same.
Old October 28th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Passenger

I find it strange that there are so many fashion salmons in the world. (my term) People that want to go on a cruise and then to prove something to themself they have to swim upstream and attempt to find ways to buck the time honored system.
I think if people would do a little research and see the requirements of a cruise like then they can fit themselves to that like. If you don't want to adhere to the conditions of the line select another and make your life happier.
I for one feel that it is not going to shorten my life to abide by the rules of the line so why not go along. Is the short time we are on the cruise going to make someone a maryter because they bend or break the rules?
One of the laws of nature is that "water seeks its own level" cruisers should do the same and cruise the line that fits their style or bend for a few days and don't complain.
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Dress code questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1
I use to dress up but now since I have been on so many cruises I really don't care to. So when its formal night I just go to the buffet for dinner. Their are some people that give me looks mostly its the people from England. I don't give a dam, we whipped them twice.
Im just about elite for Princess so I don't care what passengers think about how I dress on formal nights. If people say anything I should wear my confederate officers uniform with my confederate battle flag.

Nick
Celebrity does not have buffet for dinner on any of their ships so you either have the casual dinner which is by reservation, the dining room or room service.

Don
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Jukeboxy:

Extremely well said!!
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:04 AM
First Mate

Jukeboxy,You hit it right on the head and ther are many other types of vacations if you desire to stay casual all the time to include any number of all inclusives all over the Carribbean.My gripe is that the dress code is written and even suggests the type of dress.the good thing about Celebrity and Holland America is that most people will comply. In my opinion Holland being number one in this regard.
Old October 28th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think most people choose which cruise to take based on far more than just a dress code (price, itinerary, entertainment, etc.). Besides, with the exception of NCL (yuck!), all the mass-market lines have formal nights so it's not as easy as "if you don't like to dress formal, choose another cruiseline".

But all the mass market lines now also offer casual alternatives so there is no need to avoid cruising if you prefer to remain casual. And the main dining room isn't as formal as it used to be so even if you dine there, you don't have to dress to the 9's in tuxedos or ball gowns. Something far less formal will do.

I really wish that formal night would be done away with, but I'm not going to stop cruising or stop cruising a particular cruiseline because of it. I usually make do by using the casual alternative, however if I do go to the dining room on formal night (usually because my traveling companions prefer it), then I make do with a dressier business-casual outfit such as a pair of black slacks and a pretty blouse. As I've said before, what I choose to wear is really between me and the cruiseline, and since I have never been turned away, I have to assume that they find my appearance acceptable.
Old October 30th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to poetic license

quoted:
Do you guys think pants and a sweater is considered a suitable "pants outfit"?

The suggested dress for men on informal evenings is jacket and tie. The outfit you describe above is more for casual nights for men, but not unheard of for women on informal nights if it's a dressy pant suit.

Happy Trails,

Costa Atlantica 3/03
Celebrity Century 11/03
HAL Oosterdam 3/04
Celebrity Century 11/04
MSC Opera 2/05
Celebrity Constellation 11/05
Celebrity GALAXY 1/06
NCL Norwegian Dream 2/06
Celebrity CENTURY 4/06
Celebrity Summit 9/06
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Passenger

Ok, after reading this thread I'm really confused. It's my first cruise, and don't want to look out of place clothes wise. So, I have bought a very formal, black, full length gown for one of the formal nights. Some posters are saying they don't enforce dress codes, they are lenient with women's attire etc. Now I'm afraid to be over dressed. Will a black full length dress (complete with some sparkle) be too much? Any insite would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

New:

I assure you that you WILL NOT be out of place in that dress on a Celebrity cruise.

Take care and have a wonderful time.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Passenger

Thank you very much. I'm glad to know that I didn't just throw away a chunk of money for a very fancy gown that I'll probably never wear again.

Thanks again
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default New to Cruise

Sounds like you'll be the bell of the ball!

I think its great that you are making such an effort to follow the rules and codes of the cruiseline!

While its true, some don't dress because they just don't get it...they are the "I'll do what I want"," I have to EAT as many times and as much as I can to get my moneys worth" and" I'm bringing my own booze, 'cause I Ain't paying 5 bucks for a beer", crowd.

Don't listen to them.

Your first cruise should be a magical experience.

Don't go out and buy everything new, but pick up a few things you may not have. Men can RENT a tux and or dinner jacket combo for about $100.00, or a dark suit is fine..( I'd suggest the tux for the first cruise) or if you want to by one $100.00 at JCPENNY for a quality wool tux.

The ship carries beaded purses for $10.00 - 20.00, scarves for about $10.00, and jewely sets for less than $20.00. NOt to mention FULL beaded dresses for 150.00 - 250.00. Many of the women we travel with always seem to find lots of things that are way less expensive than at department stores on the ship.

Make sure you get you formal photo taken....You'll be glad you dresses for the occasion.

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old January 17th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Passenger

Thank you for the supportive comments. I'll give the ladies a hint though, those fancy formals are marked way down right now! I got the dress for a steal. I know, I know a little early to be shopping for a July cruise, but I'm so excited.

I don't know if it's a good idea to even be reading these posts, there are so many people who say not to do/bring what all the Celebrity correspondence is telling me to. It's very confusing.

Thanks again everyone...and I would love to be seated at dinner with any of you.
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Ladystella,

1) Can we wear sweats during the cruise? I don't mind dressing up for dinner, but I don' want to be wearing dress pants all day, especially while relaxing on deck, or walking around. I'll be on Celebrity going to Alsaka in Sept, and I was wondering if the dress codes allows for us to wear sweats (nice sweats) while lounging around during the day.

Sweats are fine on deck, around the pool, etc., but probably a bit too casual for the dining room.

2) For the semi-formal nights, do you think it's okay to wear black slacks, and a red sweater (I'm female). I don't want to bring a pantsuit, and I'm already bringing two dresses for the formal nights. The dress code says "Pants outfit" is okay for the semi-formal nights. Do you guys think pants and a sweater is considered a suitable "pants outfit"?

Hmmm....

Officially, Celebrity has "informal" evenings rather than "semiformal" evenings -- meaning that gentlemen wear a sport coat over a shirt with a collar and slacks but that a necktie is optional. In practice, many of the ladies on Celebrity's ships seem to dress beyond the line's guidelines for the "informal" designation. You won't go wrong if you bring a cocktail dress with a couple different sets of accessories for the informal evenings. A red sweater with black slacks sounds pretty classy, but it would be a better choice for a casual evening on Celebrity.

Thanks!

You're welcome!

Norm.
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cruise99
I think most people choose which cruise to take based on far more than just a dress code (price, itinerary, entertainment, etc.). Besides, with the exception of NCL (yuck!), all the mass-market lines have formal nights so it's not as easy as "if you don't like to dress formal, choose another cruiseline".

But all the mass market lines now also offer casual alternatives so there is no need to avoid cruising if you prefer to remain casual. And the main dining room isn't as formal as it used to be so even if you dine there, you don't have to dress to the 9's in tuxedos or ball gowns. Something far less formal will do.

I really wish that formal night would be done away with, but I'm not going to stop cruising or stop cruising a particular cruiseline because of it. I usually make do by using the casual alternative, however if I do go to the dining room on formal night (usually because my traveling companions prefer it), then I make do with a dressier business-casual outfit such as a pair of black slacks and a pretty blouse. As I've said before, what I choose to wear is really between me and the cruiseline, and since I have never been turned away, I have to assume that they find my appearance acceptable.
Norwegian does have formal nights, however it is optional, inspite of what many people think, at least half of the ship dresses to the nines for formal night. I have been on the Norwegian Dawn twice and the cruises were excellent and contrary to what people on the Celebrity boards think, people do not run around looking like a bunch of slobs. Jeans are never allowed in the dining room.
Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wish all the cruiselines would follow NCL's example and make formal night optional. There's no reason why those who wish to dress formally and those who don't can't co-exist on the same ship without one group being relegated to a buffet or other inferior dining alternative.

I think it is heading that way anyway, at least unofficially, as more and more people decide to forego the formalwear in favor of more casual attire. On my last Celebrity cruise, on formal night there were many people dressed to the nines, but there were also many others wearing dressy-casual (including myself). Both co-existed peacefully and I didn't see anyone being turned away at the door.
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:20 PM
First Mate

luvtocruise
I agree with you completely. As I said i found the cruises on the Norwegian Dawn very enjoyable. The notion that if you don;t wear a tux or beaded gown you are somehow ruining everyones evening. I personally like dressy casual, its amazing how you can put on a pair of jeans, heels and great jewelry and look amazing. I think everyone should just lighten up about the dress code.
Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old January 18th, 2006, 09:10 PM
First Mate

OK Nick1

So you whipped the English people twice!!! I think you must be talking about soccer, because I think we all know the outcome of WW1 and WW2

Please correct me if I am wrong!

And if I am right (as I think I am) please know that the whole world does not revolve around the outcome of a soccer game!!!!

However, I do agree that the English people do tend to take over the situation on a holiday, being it all inclusive in Mexico, the Caribbean or cruises.

One piece of advice for Cruisemates, don't go to any of the "riviera" resorts in Spain. Fish'n'Chips for miles.
You may as well go to Blackpool!!!!

JennC
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Brian,

Im going on the Infinity on 9-29-05 and was wondering if I go to the buffet for dinner on formal night I don't need to dress up. But can I still go to the shows in shorts and T-shirt for formal night. I always do on Princess. Im tried of dressing up on ships. That's why I like going on cruise West so much. All casual!

A lot of passengers are making formal complaints about failure of cruise lines to enforce dress codes when there are flagrant violations, so you may encouner changes in policy on some lines. this is probably why some of Celebrity's ships are cracking down.

To answer your question, though, T shirts are acceptable during the day, but not during the evening, aboard Celebrity's ships. I find that it's more convenient to bring polo or golf shirts, as I can wear them both in the evening (with a sport coat on informal evenings and without the coat on casual evenings) and during the day. Polo or golf shirts also work pretty well if I'm going to the beach. Thus, I just bring enough polo or golf shirts for the cruise and leave the T shirts at home. If you plan to work out at the fitness center, though, you may want to bring T shirts to wear while doing so.

I have been on 25 cruises but never on Celebrity. This is going to be very interesting to see if I like going on Celebrity. I have always heard good things about them.

I really think that the formal nights are a great experience for young people. I know that it's somewhat foreign for a lot of young adults today, but there are also many young people who find that they enjoy it after they do it enough times to become familiar wiht the routine.

Anyway, have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Admiral

dc10,

Is Celebrity dress code like Princess? Do Celebrity really in-force dress code. My sister called Celebrity and they told her she can wear jeans to dinner on causal nights.

Unfortunately, Celebrity's call centers seem to be the source of a lot of misinformatoin.

Do people actually wear jeans to dinner?

Not if they really want to eat dinner.

Enforcement may vary from cruise to cruise, but the line's clearly stated policy is that bluejeans are NOT allowed in the main dining rooms. Those who violate the rules may be turned away.

My sister doesn't like to dress up. Im fine, I would never wear jeans to dinner. I don't even like to wear a polo shirt for dinner. Im more like a dress shirt and tie.

On casual nights, you don't have to dress up. A pair of slacks (dockers or equivalent) or khaki pants would be fine. If your sister prefers, she can wear a skirt and a top.

Norm.
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Admiral

sailaway,

I don't mind dressing up for dinner but prefer to wear casual clothes for the rest of the evening. Is it okay to attend the shows on Celebrity after dinner in casual attire?

The stated policy is that the prescribed attire applies thoughtout the ship except in the buffet area, which becomes the "Casual Dining Boulevard" at night. The reality is that enforcement varies. If you change before the show, you may be turned away and you may not.

That said, it's pretty obnoxious to put the cruise line in the position of having to take action to enforce the prescribed dress. People who have true class comply with the dress code without question or book on a line that does not have formal nights. People who book a cruise on a line that has standards of dress and then don't conform prove only their ignorance, arrogance, and total lack fo class by doing so.

Norm.
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Jukebox,

I find it strange that there are so many fashion salmons in the world. (my term) People that want to go on a cruise and then to prove something to themself they have to swim upstream and attempt to find ways to buck the time honored system.
I think if people would do a little research and see the requirements of a cruise like then they can fit themselves to that like. If you don't want to adhere to the conditions of the line select another and make your life happier.
I for one feel that it is not going to shorten my life to abide by the rules of the line so why not go along. Is the short time we are on the cruise going to make someone a maryter because they bend or break the rules?
One of the laws of nature is that "water seeks its own level" cruisers should do the same and cruise the line that fits their style or bend for a few days and don't complain.

I agree completely.

For the record, here are some alternatives for those who don't want to dress up for formal nights.

>> 1. Oceana Crusies offers an all-casual cruise experience in the "premium" segment of the market.

>> 2. At least some Radisson Seven Seas cruises are all casual.

>> 3. I understand that Norwegian Cruise Line operates "formal optional" evenings where those who do not want to dress up do not have to do so.

>> 4. Windjammer Barefoot Cruises is noted for the causal experience that its name implies.

>> 5. As Brian pointed out, many of the lines that operate smaller vessels are strictly casual. These lines include Cruise West and American Canadian Caribbean Line (ACCL).

This list os far from exhaustive, but it is a starting point for folks who don't want to dress up for the evening events.

Norm.
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Admiral

poetic license,

The suggested dress for men on informal evenings is jacket and tie. The outfit you describe above is more for casual nights for men, but not unheard of for women on informal nights if it's a dressy pant suit.

There's actually a disconnect between Celebrity's advance materials and shipboard practice on this. The attire for informal evenings, as published aboard Celebrity's ships, states clearly that a necktie is optional.

Norm.
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Newtocruise,

Ok, after reading this thread I'm really confused. It's my first cruise, and don't want to look out of place clothes wise. So, I have bought a very formal, black, full length gown for one of the formal nights. Some posters are saying they don't enforce dress codes, they are lenient with women's attire etc. Now I'm afraid to be over dressed. Will a black full length dress (complete with some sparkle) be too much? Any insite would be greatly appreciated.

I would not say this of othe rlines, but you definitely will NOT be overdressed if you wear your gown on the formal nights on a Celebrity cruise. Many ladies will dress well beyond the "suggested" attire on informal and some casual evenings, too.

Norm.
Old January 18th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Admiral

luv2cruise99,

I wish all the cruiselines would follow NCL's example and make formal night optional. There's no reason why those who wish to dress formally and those who don't can't co-exist on the same ship without one group being relegated to a buffet or other inferior dining alternative.

The rub here is that the formal attire, with everybody dressing "to the nines," is part of what sets the atmosphere of the formal evenings. If a significant fraction of the passengers don't dress for the occasion, the formal atmosphere is lost.

If the major cruise companies perceived that there were a signficant demand for a casual cruise experience, I would think that they would start an all-casual cruise line. In fact, I'm surprised that Carnival Corporation has not done so, but perhaps either Carnival or Princess will move into that niche. In the meantime, we're stuck with cruise lines trying to accommodate those who don't wish to dress by providing an alternative causal dinner, and perhaps a casual venue with alternative entertainment, for the small minority who don't want to dress to the occasion. The reality is that this attemted accommodation does not seem to satisfy anybody. You compalain about the inferior venue and the lack of entertainment options, and others complain -- and I believe rightfully, on account of the role that attire plays in setting the atmosphere -- when the cruise lines don't stop the rebels in casual attire from crashing the events in the formal area during the formal evenings.

To be blunt, I bought the experience of the formal evenings when I plunked down my cash to pay for the cruise. The cruise line owes that to me. If I did not want that experience, I would not have purchased a package that includes it. To the extent that the cruise line fails to deliver on its promise of two or three formal evenings, you can be sure that I will register my legitimate complaint.

I think it is heading that way anyway, at least unofficially, as more and more people decide to forego the formalwear in favor of more casual attire. On my last Celebrity cruise, on formal night there were many people dressed to the nines, but there were also many others wearing dressy-casual (including myself). Both co-existed peacefully and I didn't see anyone being turned away at the door.

Yes, but you also did not see what the people who were dressed properly wrote on their cruise evaluations about the failure of the line to turn away those whose attire was inappropriate for the event.

Norm.
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cruise99

Each cruiseline has its own niche. Some people love to dress up and would avoid a cruiseline that does not have a dress requirement. There is enough cruiselines out there that there is a cruiseline for everyone. Celebrity meets our standards for a vacation. We enjoy fine dining in an elegant atmosphere and formal occasions.
Celebrity has relaxed its dress codes from when we first cruised. Back in the early 90's, there was only one casual night, 2 formal, and 4 "semi-formal" nights on a 7 day cruise. The first and last night were semi-formal, with the casual night being the night they held the fruit & sherbert buffet poolside mid cruise. We were disappointed when they changed to more casual nights even though we could understand the reasoning for the first and last night being casual.
Outside of my Celebrity 2 day cruise, I have not noticed a decline in those following the dress code on my Celebrity cruises. And on one of my Celebrity cruises, I have seen some turned away at the theater who changed after dinner.
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Was on the Mercury 1/2/2006 - 1/13/2006. Formal nights, people were very dressy, but the rest of the trip, CELEBRITY DID NOT enforce the dress code at all.

During the day, there were some people who looked like they were strolling around in their jammies and I ran across several who wore the same thing every day.
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Yes, but you also did not see what the people who were dressed properly wrote on their cruise evaluations about the failure of the line to turn away those whose attire was inappropriate for the event.
I'm guessing that only a small fraction care enough about dress code to write anything on the comment card. I would also strongly suspect that for every comment complaining about the dress code not being enforced, there's another comment stating the desire not to have a formal night at all. Only people who feel strongly one way or the other would write anything and I'm guessing that's only a small percentage of total passengers and pretty much evens itself out.

Of course all of the above are only guesses on my part, but since dress has been getting more casual and enforcement more lax, it doesn't seem like there is a mass comment card revolution going on. If there is, the cruiselines aren't listening.
Old January 19th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Admiral

luv2cruise99,

I'm guessing that only a small fraction care enough about dress code to write anything on the comment card. I would also strongly suspect that for every comment complaining about the dress code not being enforced, there's another comment stating the desire not to have a formal night at all. Only people who feel strongly one way or the other would write anything and I'm guessing that's only a small percentage of total passengers and pretty much evens itself out.

Of course all of the above are only guesses on my part, but since dress has been getting more casual and enforcement more lax, it doesn't seem like there is a mass comment card revolution going on. If there is, the cruiselines aren't listening.

Across all cruise lines, your comment probably is accurate, but I doubt that such comments are distributed uniformly both ways across all cruise lines.

>> 1. Celebrity has cultivated an "upscale" image and built vessels with formal styling that tend to attract a higher percentage of passengers who like the more formal style that you dislike. Some of these people may well be "snobs" who feel superior to others because they dress up in fancy duds and you don't want to be around those whom they view as "riffraff" because they won't dress properly, but the fact remaisn that such individuals are a whole lot more likey to cruise with Celebrity than with Carnival, or even with Royal Caribbean.

>> 2. As I have stated in other posts, many passengers on Celebrity dress well beyond the "suggested" dress on informal and casual evenings. That also suggests a high percentage of passengers who like to dress up and who chericsh the atmosphere provided by everybody doing so.

>> 3. There's also the reality that Celebrity has not followed the lead of Princess and other cruise lines in abandoning the tradition of "semiformal" or "informal" evenings. If anything, this tends to draw passengers who relish the dress-up evenings to Celebrity while pushing those who don't like dress-up evenings toward Royal Caribbean and other lines.

If Celebrity has a higher fraction of passengers who relish dressing up and a lower fraction of those who don't than other lines, it's reasonable to expect that Celebrity would receive disproportionately more comments in favor of the dress-up evenings. In fact, Celebrity probably gets a fair number of comments suggesting a return to semiformal evenings rather than informal evenings!

This also might explain the efforts to enforce dress codes that quite a few posters have reported on this discussoin board.

Personally, I don't choose a cruise line because it prescribes a particular standard of dress, but I do believe that every cruise line should enforce its own rules. Human nature is such that laxity of enforcemetn of some rules leads people to think that the rules don't matter because nobdoy will enforce them, so they begin to flaunt other rules and instructions from the crew as well. Before long, this becomes a fundamental safety issue when somebody flaunts the rules in a way that causes serious injury or death -- and there are enough potential hazarda aboard any ship for something like that to happen.

Norm.