Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Ladystella

Default Dress code questions

1) Can we wear sweats during the cruise? I don't mind dressing up for dinner, but I don' want to be wearing dress pants all day, especially while relaxing on deck, or walking around. I'll be on Celebrity going to Alsaka in Sept, and I was wondering if the dress codes allows for us to wear sweats (nice sweats) while lounging around during the day.

2) For the semi-formal nights, do you think it's okay to wear black slacks, and a red sweater (I'm female). I don't want to bring a pantsuit, and I'm already bringing two dresses for the formal nights. The dress code says "Pants outfit" is okay for the semi-formal nights. Do you guys think pants and a sweater is considered a suitable "pants outfit"?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dress code questions

The Titanic sunk 90 years ago and with it the kind of "dress code" you are worrying about. Sweats are fine, jeans are fine, shorts are fine during the day and while lounging and walking around the ship and ports.
Dress "codes" if there really is such a thing applies to suggested attire for the dining room for the evening meal. Your cruise documents, daily announcements will describe suggested attire for casual, semi formal and formal evening attire.
Relax and enjoy your Alaska cruise.
I'd be happy to have you sit next to me wearing the outfit you describe.
Old August 25th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Red sweater and black slacks sound perfect for casual night - not informal nights.

Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old August 25th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Ox in NJ

I just returned from a cruise on the Zenith last Saturday morning from Bermuda. Initially, I had the same concerns as you regarding the dress codes and I can tell you that during the day, you can get away with wearing just about anything. Black slacks and a red sweater would be acceptible for the informal nights, my wife wore a similar setup (black slacks and a blouse because we were in a warmer climate) and noone said a word, I wore khaki pants and a jacket over a button down shirt for the informal, for the formal, I wore a black suit and the rest of the time was just khakis and golf shirts or button downs. I did see them turning some people away from the evening events because they were not properly attired, I guess they are just trying to preserve the "classy atmosphere" of cruising with celebrity. I don't like to dress up often, but after the first night, I preferred it because it seemed 95% of the guests were all in accordance with the code and I hate to stick out.... (you'd be suprised how much of a dirtbag a guy in shorts and flip flops looks like when he is surrounded by people in their formalwear).....

Also, it seemed as if the code was a little more lenient when it came to the women....

Hope this helped...
Old August 25th, 2005, 05:39 PM
CAcruiser

I agree with Oz in NJ that just about anything goes during the day. I think the black pants and red sweater would do just fine for informal nights.
Old August 25th, 2005, 08:06 PM
hcat

I thinkk the sweater is more for casual--informal is really cocktail outfit or nice dress or dressy pantsuit from what I have experienced , but no one will throw you out--it is Celeb's fault for using poor descriptive words....
Old August 25th, 2005, 09:18 PM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Dress code questions

Am glad to see that they are enforcing the dress code on Celebrity and I wish this woud carry over to the other cruise lines and in particular Carnival.
Old August 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Ladystella

Great input guys. I think I'm going to bring along a black blazer and wear it over my black pants to make it a pantsuit. I'd rather err on the safe side. I'm in my early 30s - I think I'd be among the younger ones on this Celebrity cruise, so I don't want the others thinking "These youngsters don't know how to dress!" :=) So I'll wear the pantsuit, put my hair up, put on some dangly earrings, strappy shoes, and I'm ready to rock and roll!

Can't wait to set sail next week. This is soooooooo exciting.
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:00 PM
big apple

You may be on the younger side however you will have no more fun than those of us with some 30 plus cruises irregardless of how you dress or think you should dress .Have a nice cruise.
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

either. Its the fault of all the fashion nazis on this website

And I am so sick of people using a serious term so lightly. You'd think the events of the world, and all the wars going on would make folks stop and think about what they are saying.

Complain all you want about people's opinions. Call them names (especially using terms like this) shows very little imagination in making an arguement.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 28th, 2005, 06:47 AM
lysolqn

Good for you Kuki!

I think I sense some unresolved anger-management issues with Felicia_underscore-dash!
Old August 28th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

I must say that "Felicia's" posts bothered me, too. I'm concerned that some people use certain terms so lightly. They must not have heard "Never Forget".

IMO this is right on the "edge" of violating the TOS.

I guess you noticed that "Felicia" and "Brandon" (and several others on other boards and posts) apparently have a split personality. (Maybe this IS against the TOS?)

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old August 28th, 2005, 11:04 PM
donnayi

it is really okay. their dress code is not strictly adhered to. in fact, i wore jeans into their sacred "caravelle", which is supposed to be a no-no.
Old August 28th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Yeoman

Felicia, on Celebrity, on formal night, what would YOU wear? Baggy shorts, old tennis shoes, and a clean bowling shirt?
Old August 29th, 2005, 12:12 PM
hcat

Hope not at my table!
Old August 29th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Bobrich

Just back from northern Europe on Century. Wore sweats on both days at sea. A perfect choice. Lightweight , warm, and comfortable. Glad I brought sweats along. I also like to wear them on the plane.
Informal and casual have seeemed to become the same. Men wore slacks and neat sportshirts. A few wore sportjackets... many did not wear a jacket. Formal has also become less dressy. Men still wore suits or tuxedos. Women wore everything. Most were not very formal. I wore a long knit black dress.. it wasn't exactly formal, but it was fine. I leave the very dressy formal clothes home.
Old August 29th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Felicia,

IMO, comparing people who I describe as the "Fashion Police" to Nazi's is like comparing a garden snake with a rattlesnake. And I didn't like Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi", either. The thing is, you don't know who may be reading your posts, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to offend anyone. You just don't know-they might be a survivor of the Concentration Camps or maybe most of their relatives were killed in the Camps.

Just so I don't avoid the subject, I think that people should make an effort to dress according to the dress code on formal night if they are going to eat in the main dining room. I'm not saying you have to bring out the prom dresses or bridesmaid dresses (as if anyone would!), I'm just saying wear something appropriate. Personally, I wear nice black pants, a "sparkly" top, and black flats, and have never felt underdressed.

It's not like it's a big surprise that there is a formal night. Everyone knows about it and if they don't want to get dressed up, there are other places to eat.

At ANY function, it's just good manners to dress as requested.

Post Edited (08-29-05 18:42)

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old August 29th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Author: Felicia_underscore-dash (94-57.69-92-cpe.cableone.net)
Date: 08-28-05 18:31

I suppose we should all retroactively condemn Jerry Sienfeld for the "Soup Nazi" episode on his show...or is that OK since he is rich and Jewish? That term is used all the time and the only time I hear complaints about it is when someone has no other argument

What HOGWASH!

I do see the term used on the message boards on occassion, and it's WRONG. Call em fashion police if you simply have to find derogatory terms to make your arguement.

Using the term Nazi in such "little" discussions only trivializes the term and all the events associated with it. Thinking that dress code discussions even comes close to being a serious issue is absurb!

And trying to validate it's use because Jerry Steinfeld once demonstrated the same bad taste to use it is rather feeble.

In my post I didn't even give my opinion on whether dress codes are good are not.. but I will REPEAT!
Complain all you want about people's opinions. Call them names (especially using terms like this) shows very little imagination in making an arguement

Which ever side of the arguement anyone happens to fall on in the ever lasting dress code discussions, no one should be attempting to put down those who disagree with them.

Old August 31st, 2005, 04:54 PM

Im going on the Infinity on 9-29-05 and was wondering if I go to the buffet for dinner on formal night I don't need to dress up. But can I still go to the shows in shorts and T-shirt for formal night. I always do on Princess. Im tried of dressing up on ships. That's why I like going on cruise West so much. All casual!

I have been on 25 cruises but never on Celebrity. This is going to be very interesting to see if I like going on Celebrity. I have always heard good things about them.

Brian
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:10 PM
Admiral

I've been on quite a number of Celebrity cruises... and honestly have never seen anyone head to the showroom on formal nights in shorts and a t shirt.

Can't imagine that you'd be turned away... as they don't specify that the entire ship is formal dress on formal night. Especially since they offer a casual alternative, and they can't transport you from Lido deck to your cabin <G>

Interestingly I believe Princess does mention in their dailies that suggested dress codes apply to the entire ship after 6 PM... which really makes no sense because, again, they offer the Horizon Court as a casual alternative.

The cruise line's really seem to have no interest in enforcing their suggested rules of behavior anyway... so you should have no problem ignoring which ever ones your choose.
Of course, you won't object when someone sits down next to you in the showroom and lights up a cigarette <VBG>

Old September 1st, 2005, 08:15 AM
lysolqn

Kuki,

Actually, the Celebrity daily contains the dress code for the evening and also says that guests are requested to maintain the evening dress code throughout the ship (except for the casual dining venue) after 6PM.
Old September 1st, 2005, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Lysol.. Interesting, because I have to admit I've never noticed it on the Celebrity dailies, but have on Princess.

However, it doesn't really matter if they print it, then don't enforce it.

As I've said often before. I really don't care which rules the cruise lines adopt. That's their decision for their ships. However, once they chose them they should enforce them, because doing so would put an end to all the debating about which rules apply to who.

Old September 1st, 2005, 04:20 PM
Nick1

I use to dress up but now since I have been on so many cruises I really don't care to. So when its formal night I just go to the buffet for dinner. Their are some people that give me looks mostly its the people from England. I don't give a dam, we whipped them twice.
Im just about elite for Princess so I don't care what passengers think about how I dress on formal nights. If people say anything I should wear my confederate officers uniform with my confederate battle flag.

Nick
Old September 1st, 2005, 04:37 PM

Maybe I should dress up for my Celebrity cruise. Im 24 years old and im going with my family. Im not to big on dressing up. I want to go to the shows, but it seems that If Im not dressed up then people might say things to me. So instead of the hassle I think I rather just dress up.

How is the dress code during the day time? Are you allowed to wear T-shirts or would it be better to wear a polo shirt instead.

Thanks
Brian
Old September 2nd, 2005, 09:43 AM
Susan Hofer

I have found that since "informal" is so ambiguous for the women that no one can really define what is "proper". If you are neat and clean and wearing a slacks/sweater combo no one would look aghast. I have seen everything on formal nights from beautiful ball gowns to Sunday-go-to-meeting dresses. I think if the attempt is made no one can fault you.

If you have done your research and understand the type of cruise that Celebrity is trying to present, then you are aware of the dress code. But to book the cruise and then complain about having to dress up is childish. Everyone wants it "their way". I think that since the alternative dining is offered, then take advantage of it or dine in your cabin on formal night. But you can at least try to clean up if you want to go to the theatre or some of the other entertainment in the evening. This is a simple courtesy to yourself as well as your fellow passengers.
Old September 21st, 2005, 06:13 PM
Beginner

Default dress code

Is Celebrity dress code like Princess? Do Celebrity really in-force dress code. My sister called Celebrity and they told her she can wear jeans to dinner on causal nights.

Do people actually wear jeans to dinner?

My sister doesn't like to dress up. Im fine, I would never wear jeans to dinner. I don't even like to wear a polo shirt for dinner. Im more like a dress shirt and tie.
Old September 21st, 2005, 11:26 PM
First Mate

I would be surprised if they suggested jeans on casual nites and I can assure you that you may be the only one dressed in this manner.You really should look at kaki pants or dress slacks with polo shirt or dress shirt.
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Passenger

Default Dress code for the shows?

I don't mind dressing up for dinner but prefer to wear casual clothes for the rest of the evening. Is it okay to attend the shows on Celebrity after dinner in casual attire?
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:21 AM
First Mate

They would like you to remain in the dress code for the entire evening however many do change to casual but not jeans or shorts.
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Beginner

In the Millennium last August nobody enforced the dress code.