Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Passenger

Default Infinity corkage fee for consuming wine in your cabin?

Has anyone resently been charged a corkage fee on Celebrity because they brought wine on board to consume in the room? Normally we have always packed a couple of bottles, but never had to pay to drink it in our room. Our bar bill is ALWAYS huge anyway, we never have been questioned about alcohol in the room, but this is our first cruise with Celebrity. Thanks for your input!

KMK
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Infinity corkage fee for consuming wine in your cabin?

The corkage fee only applies if you want it served in the dining room. No problem, and no charge, for in cabin consumption.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:01 PM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Infinity corkage fee for consuming wine in your cabi

This is not totally true .you can bring on numerous bottles of wine as you get on the ship however they will take it from you if purchased down the line and inform you that the wine steward will bring it to dinner at the current corkage charge which I believe is now up to $15 which is absolutely absurd since the are offering you no resonable priced wine from the menu.This happened to us this year on the Zenith out of Jax.It would be nice if any of the cruise lines would offer some wine in the $15-20 range instead seeing how much they can rip off those who would like to order a bottle with dinner.Their mark up is in the range of 3to 4 times retail pricing in south carolina and these people are making a nice profit
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Infinity corkage fee for consuming wine in your cabin?

I'm not sure how much wine is sold for (at retail or when served) in certain parts of the country that I don't live in. Generally wine served in a NY area restaurant will be served at anywhere from 2.5 to 5 times the retail value. This is actually much less than the mark up on beer and certainly less than that on hard liquor. You are not being sold the wine at retail when purchasing it either at a restaurant on land or at sea. You are being sold the service of the wine as well. Someone to select it, chill it, serve it, provide glasses, take away and wash glasses etc.
Is this any different than food? Does a restaurant charge you the 45 cents that three eggs cost when you order an omlette?
If you must bring wine on board to drink at the dinner table , make it expensive wine, then the corkage fee won't seem like a lot.
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:52 PM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Infinity corkage fee for consuming wine in your cabi

You are right about bringing an expensive bottle of wine to even think about but why not offer some wines in the $15-20 range?They might even sell a few more bottles.By the way you are already giving the server a 15% for seving etc which you mention in your post.How much more do we need to come up with?
Old September 9th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Infinity corkage fee for consuming wine in your

I do not believe that in the last twenty years I have ever seen a $15 to $20 bottle of wine in a restaurant. If I did I would expect it to have a screw top and read MD 20/20 on the label.
Even a bottle of wine retailing for $ 10 would be high $20's to low $30's in any restaurant (if not more).
Let's look at a bottle of Scotch instead. Let's say cost per bottle is $25 ,also let's say there are only 25 drinks in the bottle. At $5.95 for the drink the bar makes $148.75, roughly six times the cost of the bottle. Wine is no different,(might be a bargain at only 3 times retail) nor is food or any other beverage in a restaurant. You are paying for the building, the tables, the lights, the waiters, the cash register, the rugs , glasses, ice , etc. etc. If you want to pay retail for food and drink go shopping and bring it home. Would you bring your own staek to a restaurant and expect it to be cooked and served to you for free?
We differ on this arguement , I guess that's ok. I find no issue with a corkage fee. I also find I do not need to travel with bottles of wine in my suitcase. I have never had a problem selecting a reasonable wine off a ship's wine list. My travel agent usually sends a bottle of wine to us. They for some reason (probably their cost) do not use the cruise ship's service. They do no realize that by doing so, if I want to drink the wine in
the dining room, I need to pay the corkage charge. I usually give that bottle to the steward as it is usually not much more than the MD 20/20 anyway.
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Infinity corkage fee for consuming wine in y

Just so you know, a screw cap does NOT lead to a MD 20/20 caliber wine. For the conservation of trees many reputable companies are going to screw cap. Any sommelier will tell you screw caps are the way of the future and not to be dismissed as "cheap" wines.
I also do not agree in not bringing our own wines with us. Although my dh and I have a modest cellar, I would rather pay $15 corkage on a Montellena Vineyards Cab than pay $35 for a low-end vintage winery at a restaurant. We all drink what we like. We do travel with wine in our suitcase and not only that we travel with wine to many places, I guess that's why we have such great friends!

Old September 9th, 2005, 11:14 PM
big apple

Just for the record I have now arrived at home from a very fine restaurant where we consumed a very resonable merlot Foxhorn and the cost was $15 and without an automatic 15%By the way we live in Greenville sc and prior to dinner we welcomed George Hincappie our local hero with a parade and his closest friend Lance ArmstrongThe reason I menton this is that the restaurant is one of the better ones here and you can have your high prices of new york and in addition th was a screw top which youwill see more of in the near future.e cork as was mentioned in the last post The point being there are some wines in this catagory and our friendly cruise lines could very well offer this catagory of wines.
Old September 11th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Do they charge a 17% service fee on the $15 corkage fee?
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:24 AM
First Mate

There is no additional charge on the corkage fee and my guess is that wine steward gets his fair share of this amt.
Old September 12th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Familiar Face

If I read the Celebrity web site correctly, they don't allow people to bring their own wine on board. Did I miss something? Do they just look the other way? Has anyone had wine confiscated (until the end of the cruise) when they tried to bring it on?
Old September 12th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by big apple
Just for the record I have now arrived at home from a very fine restaurant where we consumed a very resonable merlot Foxhorn and the cost was $15
Foxhorn Merlot retails for $5 to $6 in a 1.5L magnum sized bottle. If you paid $15 for a 750 ml bottle, the mark up was greater than 3x.
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Are we truly having a conversation here about $6 per 1.5L retail value screw top wine being served in a "fine" restaurant?
If we are, I'm dropping out of this conversation because our definitions of fine wine and fine restaurants are probably not the same.