Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2005, 12:41 PM
Familiar Face

Default CirqueDuSoliel on SUMMIT

Hello, just finished 14-day Alaska cruise on Summit.
CirqueDuSoliel is now OFF the SUMMIT, as of Sept 30th, per the Cruise Director, John. I guess that there were too many complaints on board.

I went to one performance. it was BORING!! For about 15-minutes, there was one person doing a slow motion something with a lantern. He was dressed from head to toe in a costume with long streamers with orange and red lights. Finally he started pulling a cart around the bar area, with more lanterns, all in slow motion. By this time, a number of people had already left. My wife and I then also left.

When viewing Hubbard Glacier, the tents and couches obstructed the view for many.
Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2005, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Do you know if it's off the CONNIE, too???

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:21 PM
Passenger

I am soooo HAPPY Cirq is off Summit.
I will be on 4/9/2006 Hawaii cruise

Pema
Old October 3rd, 2005, 12:40 PM
First Mate

Hi,

Do we know if the hardware installed for CDS is also now removed, or will it have to await her next scheduled drydock ??? I'm talking about the stuff installed forward REVELATION lounge area, with all the obstructions it triggered....
I don't recall SUMMIT having gone into any '' non-service '' status at all recently; she completed her Alaska program on sked, went to SanDiego and is currently on her Mexican Riviera schedule ( albeit with a bit of diversion around Cabos 2nd Oct....). I think they might be removing the crap from the front of the lounge while '' on the go ''....Anybody knows ???

Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:29 PM
Familiar Face

We are booked to Hawaii 1/15/05 and were wondering if CDS was still going to be there. It seemed from reading this board and others that it was not that popular. We like CDS and have seen the shows several times in Las Vegas. A show in the theater would be the way to go. The Bar at the Edge of the World idea seemed just too avant-garde for the average cruiser. (of which I am one) The loss of the viewing space in the forward lounge is too big a price to pay for an "experience" that many were not interested in.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:35 PM
Beginner

We are sailing on the Summit next week (10/10/05) and it will be interesting so see what is there now. Since we are first time cruisers, I don't know what it was like before but I do know a lot of people did NOT like CDS and preferred the lounge the way it was.

Thanks for the info. I am hoping for no more hurricanes!
Old October 3rd, 2005, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Below is a link to report on cruise news daily. They are off Summit now and will be off Connie in November.

http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/

Don
Old October 5th, 2005, 02:22 PM
First Mate

Glad CDS is gone--(going to Hawaii in march) let us know if the blockage is removed--I recall it was installed during a cruise thus rendering the lounge not usable to cruisers on that trip--this is a vague recollection so new info will be appreciated. Just back from Merc & we did very much appreciate the views from those lovely panoramic windows! I guess the voice of the cruisers has ben heard--probably from lower liquor sales & attendance at CDS venue!
Old October 9th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Beginner

CDC is suppose to end on Constellation Nov 10.

**edited to remove commercial link***
Old October 30th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to poetic license

Guess what, CMs? CdS is back ... on CONSTELLATION for a "dress rehearsal " run on 10/29, then beginning with the 11/10 cruise, and SUMMIT 11/20. It will be the format that everyone adores CdS for: a theatre show, albeit abbreviated to approximately 30 minutes. The show is being billed as A Taste of Cirque du Soleil.

I understand why folks didn't care for the former incarnation of CdS, but I am glad that Celebrity worked so fast to correct the problem and give people what they were expecting in the first place.

Hooray!

Happy Trails-

Costa Atlantica 3/03
Celebrity Century 11/03
HAL Oosterdam 3/04
Celebrity Century 11/04
MSC Opera 2/05
Celebrity Constellation 11/05
Celebrity GALAXY 1/06
NCL Norwegian Dream 2/06
Celebrity CENTURY 4/06
Celebrity Summit 9/06
Old November 7th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Admiral

poetic license,

Did you say that Celebrity's management "worked fast" to get rid of this abomination???

The "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" was a disaster from the beginning and it has taken nearly a year for management to figure ot that there was no way to "fix" it. Alas, all of Celebrity's new (2006-2007) brochures have a two-page spread extolling the 'Bar at the Edge of the Earth" because they went to press while management was dragging their feet....

I'm not impressed. As a stockholder, I really do hope that heads have rolled over this debacle.

Norm.
Old November 7th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to poetic license

Rev 22:17,

Celebrity did work fast to CHANGE the presentation format/venue AFTER they had announced the cancellation of the CdS "experience" on October 6. To give the CdS "experience" a fair amount of time for a variety and cross-section of passengers to voice their opinions was prudent. I didn't care for it only for it's lack of real experiental value; it was hyped and promoted incorrectly, and passengers made an assumption they would be entertained by the traditional CdS show. But there were many other people who liked it as a change of pace, semi-interactive 'happening'.

To have a THEATRE-BASED SHOW with CdS in it's more familiar format up and running so quickly (October 6 announcement to cancel Bar format and October 23 statement to reopen as a theatre show) is not foot dragging, in my opinion. I, too, am a stockholder, and am glad they took the course of action(s) they did.

I do wish they would restore the bar to it's original condition now that the show is theatre-based. The Bar At The Edge of the Earth serves no purpose now, and is more of a ghost of an experiment gone bad than a true extension of CdS.

Happy Trails,

Costa Atlantica 3/03
Celebrity Century 11/03
HAL Oosterdam 3/04
Celebrity Century 11/04
MSC Opera 2/05
Celebrity Constellation 11/05
Celebrity GALAXY 1/06
NCL Norwegian Dream 2/06
Celebrity CENTURY 4/06
Celebrity Summit 9/06
Old November 8th, 2005, 12:49 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetic license
Rev 22:17,

w

I do wish they would restore the bar to it's original condition now that the show is theatre-based. The Bar At The Edge of the Earth serves no purpose now, and is more of a ghost of an experiment gone bad than a true extension of CdS.

Happy Trails,
Hi,

Couldn't agree more !!!! It should have been done already.....
And tip of the hat to Celebrity having owned up to a bad experiment and re-incarnated it in a proper venue.
Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old November 8th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Nicki

Celebrity did work fast to CHANGE the presentation format/venue AFTER they had announced the cancellation of the CdS "experience" on October 6. To give the CdS "experience" a fair amount of time for a variety and cross-section of passengers to voice their opinions was prudent.

I can't agree. The reaction to the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" was so strong and so negative from "Day One" that it certainly should not have taken ten months or longer to figure out that it was not working. The "try it with different audiences" argument might have some merit, but three months should have been the limit. While the reaction on one cruise might be a statistical outlier, the odds of statistical outliers on even three or four consecutive cruises are pretty slim. In fact, I'll go one step further and suggest that Celebrity should have deferred the deployment of the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" aboard GTS Summit pending resolution of the problems when the deployment aboard GTS Constellation drew such strong negative reactions.

To have a THEATRE-BASED SHOW with CdS in it's more familiar format up and running so quickly (October 6 announcement to cancel Bar format and October 23 statement to reopen as a theatre show) is not foot dragging, in my opinion. I, too, am a stockholder, and am glad they took the course of action(s) they did.

The 06 October announcement said that the companies were negotiating a restructuring of the arrangement -- which indicates that they already had a vision of where the new arrangement would go. When you see that sort of announcement, the lawyers are already "crossing T's and dotting I's" in the cotnractual language.

That's true. The complication is the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" decor and equipment probably will require a stand-down (yard visit) for its removal. When you remove the slip covers from the chairs, you have to clean the upholstery underneath because grime tends to accumulate between the upholstery and the slip covers. Likewise, you have to clean the mirror columns when you remove the covers therefrom. Also, some of the cables holding the draperies appeared to have anchors screwed or bolted through wall and overhead panels into structural beams, so they will have to patch or replace the affected panels. The scope of this work probably is too much to do during a normal turn-around or a day at sea. It's probably better to wait until a yard period when they can do all of it at a time when passengers are not using the space.

Norm.
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:45 AM
First Mate

Good evening, Norm

excellent comments ( Like all the ones I've seen so far from you,;;I'm new on these sites and I understnd you're an old veteran just back from a brief absence ).

I can only give Celebrity a tip of the hat for having owned up to their original mistake, and done something to rectify it. But, leaving the ''bar at the edge of the earth '' as is will only prolong the problem by leaving cynical traces of the past mistake in place.
You make a good point, re; the logistics of restoring to ''Revelation'' status...but I still think it can be done in less than one normal day, wetdocked. If you think they need more than a normal turn-around day (which are only 11-12 hours long anyways and have LOTS of other needed work on a routine basis ), how about these choices: 1/ pick a port of call day, 14 hours or so, and get it done then; inconvenience to guests would be limited to those staying on board;proper announcement and the requisite shipboard credits would actually be very positively received. ex: Aruba during a full transit run, for Summit, 17 hours in port OR 2/ cut an imminent sailing short by one port day, again with the requisite shipboard credits ( which would have to be more substantial than 1/ above...) and use the extra day at home port to get this done properly, at less manpower cost than 1/ above.; the dedicated crew wouldn't have to be carried along.

Just a tought. What do you think ??? Marketing and '' P R ''-wise, this would go over quite well actually....
They could fix Connie's bar by using option 2/ above on any of the next Southern Carribean sailings, and staying wetdocked in SanJuan an extra day.
Just think about the amount of minor soft goods maintenance and replacement that can be taken care of that way,in one day.....

Happy sailings
Cheers
CG

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old November 10th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Sealegs,

excellent comments ( Like all the ones I've seen so far from you,;;I'm new on these sites and I understnd you're an old veteran just back from a brief absence ).

Thanks for your kind words!

Actually, "brief" had been a couple years -- during which, I did not stop cruising or visiting the site to read the cruise news. I have just been WAY too busy and did not have time to get to these boards.

But, leaving the ''bar at the edge of the earth '' as is will only prolong the problem by leaving cynical traces of the past mistake in place.

Fundamenally, I agree -- but at least the room has a coordinated decor and it's clean. While most of the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" decor is easy to remove (slip covers, curtains, draperies, etc.), a certain amount of grime undoubtedly has built up under them that will require a thorough cleaning when they remove it. Also, the cables that hold some of the draperies appear to be fairly permanent installations -- brackets bolted through panels into structural beams, etc. -- that will require more extensive repaor (new panels, etc.). There's also special lighting and projection equipment for the special effects, the removal of which may require removal of cabling -- which is a fairly major project. Further, the lighting is coordinated with the decor. My instinct is that the affected ships probably cannot undo this in a day and have a space that looks reasonable. If not, it's most assuredly better to leave it as it until they can do it properly (probably during the next yard visit) and have a space that looks presentable.

You make a good point, re; the logistics of restoring to ''Revelation'' status...but I still think it can be done in less than one normal day, wetdocked. If you think they need more than a normal turn-around day (which are only 11-12 hours long anyways and have LOTS of other needed work on a routine basis ), how about these choices: 1/ pick a port of call day, 14 hours or so, and get it done then; inconvenience to guests would be limited to those staying on board;proper announcement and the requisite shipboard credits would actually be very positively received. ex: Aruba during a full transit run, for Summit, 17 hours in port OR 2/ cut an imminent sailing short by one port day, again with the requisite shipboard credits ( which would have to be more substantial than 1/ above...) and use the extra day at home port to get this done properly, at less manpower cost than 1/ above.; the dedicated crew wouldn't have to be carried along.

Turn-around day most assuredly is not the time to do it because turn-around is already an "all hands" evolution, especially for members of the crew who do cleaning, etc.

I have doubts about the feasibility of doing this during a port of call. I'm particularly concerned about the probable need to replace bulkhead and overhead panels when they take down the cables that hold the draperies. That part of the job may well be beyond the scope of what the ship's crew can handle.

Just a tought. What do you think ??? Marketing and '' P R ''-wise, this would go over quite well actually....
They could fix Connie's bar by using option 2/ above on any of the next Southern Carribean sailings, and staying wetdocked in SanJuan an extra day.
Just think about the amount of minor soft goods maintenance and replacement that can be taken care of that way,in one day.....

Now you're talking about loss of revenue -- which most assuredly is not going to fly with the company's investors.

Fundamentally, the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" decor does not interfere with use of the space as a disco, which was its primary use before the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" debacle.. The room actually has the same furniture that it had before. If the ship's personnel can remove the slip covers, draperies, etc., and clean the space so it looks presentable in a day or two, they might as well do so. If not, it's better to leave it as it -- which is presentatble -- until the next upkeep period.

Norm.
Old November 10th, 2005, 11:41 PM
First Mate

Good evening,Norm

Do you think restoring the '' observation lounge'' aspect of ''Revelations'' can be acheived relatively swiftly and effectively, without compromising the more involved structural elements you are referring to ?? If so, they could at least do THAT immediately ( or shortly ) and leave the rest of the '' restoration'' till the next downtime.( which I think is within 1 year for both Summit and Connie....Millie is there now and Infinity had her turn next March ).
Another post somewhere either here or another '' site'' had a poster/crew member relating the captain on Connie saying ''bar at the edge'' stays as is for now....

So long as guests have their daytime observation lounge back to reasonnable vision capacity....

Cheers
CG

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old November 12th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Admiral

sealegs,

Do you think restoring the '' observation lounge'' aspect of ''Revelations'' can be acheived relatively swiftly and effectively, without compromising the more involved structural elements you are referring to ?? If so, they could at least do THAT immediately ( or shortly ) and leave the rest of the '' restoration'' till the next downtime.( which I think is within 1 year for both Summit and Connie....Millie is there now and Infinity had her turn next March ).
Another post somewhere either here or another '' site'' had a poster/crew member relating the captain on Connie saying ''bar at the edge'' stays as is for now....

So long as guests have their daytime observation lounge back to reasonnable vision capacity....

When I went to Alaska aboard GTS Summit last August, I did not see anything that would interfere with using the space as an observation lounge. The the room was basically open during the daytime and the windows were not blocked. They probably do draw solid shades over the windows at night to meet the "darken ship" requirements of maritime law, which basically forbid display of any lights that can interfere with visibility of running lights to other vessels.

Norm.
Old November 13th, 2005, 12:41 AM
First Mate

[
[

When I went to Alaska aboard GTS Summit last August, I did not see anything that would interfere with using the space as an observation lounge. The the room was basically open during the daytime and the windows were not blocked.

Norm.[/quote]
Good evening,Norm

So, the daytime vewing is not that blocked off or restricted, is it ???
Glad to hear that.......Thanks for sharing your own experience on that.It is however somewhat different than that stated on other posts, and by clients ( I am a semi-retired TA )and a close friend who sailed her in June...The trend seems to point towards the daytime ''view point'' aspect of ''Revelations'' was more than mildly obstructed....
Cheers
CG

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old November 13th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Sealegs,

So, the daytime vewing is not that blocked off or restricted, is it ???
Glad to hear that.......Thanks for sharing your own experience on that.It is however somewhat different than that stated on other posts, and by clients ( I am a semi-retired TA )and a close friend who sailed her in June...The trend seems to point towards the daytime ''view point'' aspect of ''Revelations'' was more than mildly obstructed....

There are some draperies that look like bed canopies around the outside of the room, except that they were open in front and in back. IIRC, they had some fairly flat surfaces under them. To get a good view, you had to go to the perimeter of the room and sit on the flat surfaces next to the windows.

That said, I have never seen very many people haning out during the daytime in discos that were supposed to double as observation lounges -- and I have "gone looking" during the daytime on several ships that have such spaces. Thus, this strikes me as a "red herring" issue.

Anyway, my guess is that the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" decor will go away during the next maintenance stand-downs of the affected vessels. I'm not sure when GTS Constallation and GTS Summit are scheduled for maintenance stand-downs, though.

Norm.
Old November 14th, 2005, 12:32 AM
First Mate

Good evening Norm,

Amen to that.
You make a lot of sense. Let's hope the next maintenance down-time is not too far down the road.

Cheers
CG

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old November 14th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Admiral

sealegs,

Let's hope the next maintenance down-time is not too far down the road.

IIRC, they generally schedule yard visits about every eighteen months or so. Unfortunately, Celebrity does not lay and publish out the schedules for the entire fleet as Princess does (just look inside the back cover of any Princess brochure), so it takes some effort to find the gaps in the schedules.

Norm.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 01:50 PM
First Mate

This is not a red herring issue at all. On Connie a yr ago Sept, the ship went up through the Saguenay Fjiord in Quebec. Early in the day every seat was turned facing outward toward the sea & was filled. We were lucky to get front row seats when others left. What a thrill to sit, drink hot chocolate & view outsidethe panaromic windows while the guest naturalist lecture was being broadcast. It was amazing & what a great view... I am sure others have experienced the same in Alaska, Panama Canal etc.... We are on Summit in March & will report first hand the change & whatever we can learn about when it will be fixed. My recollection from Board postings was that the intial installation was done while at sea--& during that time the lounge was closed to patons....