Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Infinity Dry Dock

Does anyone know if the Infinity is going to dry dock this winter for any length of time? We are sailing her in July 06 and I was just curious. What do they do when they dry dock a ship?
Old October 26th, 2005, 01:42 AM
First Mate

Hi,

She's entering drydock 20tth March through 1st april'06; I beleive in the GrandBahamas shipyards.
It's a routine & scheduled drydock.
What is done during a scheduled drydock is never '' cut 'n' dry '' as it depends on the individual ship, its condition ( Both soft and hard goods), its mechanical shape , specific upgrades available at the time which can benefit that particular ship, its market place of operations VS refits which could make her better suited, etc etc...
She'll be 5 years old at drydock time, and an overhaul '' sprucing up'' is due. Complete paint job is often on the menu. Engines overhaul takes place, to various degrees. And those nasty propulsion systems problems suffered by her and her 3 sisters....that might get A LOT of attention.

By July '06, she'll be in '' near brand new'' when you sail to Alaska with her.
You've made a good ship choice.

Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old October 26th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Keep your fingers crossed on the propulsion problem on Infinity....We're lucky enough to have had 2 different cruises cancelled because of the problem.
We no longer consider this vessel when booking a cruise. I guess our experience of eating non-refundable airline tickets(twice) and the last cruise aboard her being just O.K at best cloud my perspective.

Best Wishes and good luck.
Old October 26th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

2 cruises canceled????? What the heck happened????? I've never heard of that happening to anyone except for weather conditions!!
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Propultion problems on two separate sailings 6-9 months apart caused us to miss our intented vacation dates.
The third time we booked... the crew seemed very tired and we were not impressed. (Celebrity was our most perfered line before this cruise. We do not intend to book anything on this ship again. )

I just perfer the Century class of ship vs Millie. (also the lack of mechanical problems that the Millie class of ship have)

Best wishes
Old October 27th, 2005, 01:07 PM
First Mate

We had a cruise canceled on the Millie several years ago, also propulsion problems.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old October 27th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Admiral

We're scheduled to cruise to Alaska in May 06 on the Infinity...Then on the Summit through Panama...Hope we don't run into any problems!!

For Alaska it's a little late to rebook unless we go to another cruise line...
so guess we'll just have to keep alert to the boards for any other cruisers recent experiences on these ships.

If the reports are poor ....guess we could try another cruise line for Panama...but hate to do that.
Old October 27th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Beginner

What do you get if THEY cancel the cruise? Do they offer a full refund, or just give you credit toward an upcoming cruise? Do they refund your airfare in full if you booked your flights through Celebrity? Do they refund your hotel in full if you booked a pre-cruise hotel night through Celebrity? Do you get any incentives or upgrades toward future cruises?

I'm considering an Infinity cruise this winter. I'll probably book airfare and a pre-cruise hotel night on my own, not through Celebrity. If they cancel, I might just fly down to Florida anyway and stay for the week. I'm prepared to eat the hotel and air costs, but if it happened, I would expect a full refund for the cruise, plus a little more for the inconvience. Is that an appropriate expectation?
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Here is what another cruiser had to say from another thread I started. It answered some questions from this thread so I copied it.

The four ships in this class have been plagued by problems with bearings in the pods (propulsion system). Each has had to cancel about one cruise per year to make the required repairs. If Infinity is dry docked in the spring, I'm sure she will sail in tip top shape for your July cruise and the problem will not exist.
When cruises have been cancelled full refunds are given and discounts on future cruises as well.We lost 3 days of a 14 day cruise on Summit last year and got onboard credit and 25% off the current (or a future) cruise.
Keep your booking, you will not have any problem and will enjoy this beautiful ship.

Posted by Papabill
Old October 28th, 2005, 12:13 PM
First Mate

Does anyone know when Summit had her last pod problem? We are on her again in march & are keeping our fingers crossed!
Old October 28th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

All ships go through dry docks on a regular basis. It is a part of routine maintenance. The ship must be taken out of the water for the hull to be inspected, painted, repaired and other things done. They also do things to the interior of the ship such as replace carpeting, furniture and anything else they deem necessary. Constellation will be the next and last of the Millennium ships to go into it's first dry dock. I believe that will be at the beginning of 2006 but don't hold me on that.

Yes, the Millennium class ships have had major problems with the azipod engines and hopefully there has or will be some modifications done to eliminate or reduce the problems. You have to bet that Celebrity wants this problem fixed as bad or more than the passengers do. Every time they have to cancel a cruise and compensate passengers it hits their bottom line and share holders don't like that.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 28th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Celebrity ships do not have azipod system, they instead have the mermod propulsion system which is manufactured by a different company.(with much less sucess and more mechanical problems than azipod ships)
The latest word is that no real fix has been developed other than just replacingf the bearings which is expensive and time consuming. A lawsuit is still pending against the shipyard and company that made the pod.
Old October 28th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Cookie,
You are correct: I used the azipod as a generic term. Thanks for clarifying.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 29th, 2005, 11:54 PM
First Mate

Hi,

TO HCAT; Summit had its most recent propulsion problems Sep'04
and needed emergency drydock in SanFransisco for 4 days to get fixed up.
Another poster on this thread was on the subsequent cruise that got shortened by 3 days; the total impact on Celebritty was 1/ those 3 days chopped off the Vancouver-SanDiego ( via Alaska ) repositionning cruise 2/ the preceding 7 days inside passage Vancouver-Vancouver which got scrubbed altogether.
So far, so good this year.
Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G