Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to kcannava

Animal house VS gone with the wind.
Old November 14th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Gotcha.

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old November 21st, 2005, 07:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Thug, Great information!

You hit it on the nose.

Just joined this site and I can't believe how many people complain about having to dress for formal or informal nights on CELEBRITY.

I choose it because it has LESS children, LESS rude people, and LESS trailer trash since it is a bit more expensive than most.

MOST of cruising is the ambiance...not the partying like on Carnival. I cruise to escape, to enjoy new things and meet interesting people.

The problem I find, especially on this site is that a few think its okay to give out the wrong information.

I think the attitude that " I've paid for my vacation, I'll do what I want" SUCKS and ruins the experience for others.

Celebrity is MORE than accomodating to those who DO NOT WANT TO EXPERIENCE THE FINER THINGS IN LIFE. They offer tux and gown rentals for those who have none, alternative dining for those who do not wish to dress appropriately, and well documented suggestions on how to pack , what to wear , and what to expect.

I think its truly amazing that some expect the white glove treatment while they are wearing jeans and a t-shirt at dinner...

I am an elite member and have three cruises currently booked for the upcoming year. I know there are many first timers out there...and I made mistakes at first also...but some idiots on this site are promoting insensitivity, lack of respect, and complete anarchy for those asking advice.

This needs to be stopped.

Once again...GREAT POST!!! Thanks

Dave

For starters, Celebrity is a "premuium" cruise line whereas Carnival is a "mainstream" cruise line. Thus, Celebrity will be a lot more "up scale" and a lot classier. Here are my observations after six cruises with Celebrity.

>> Teenagers seem to enjoy Celebrity's Teen Program. It offers a lot of diverse activities that teenagers really do seem to enjoy. Teenagers also will enjoy Celebrity's production shows, which are "high energy" family entertainment suitable for all ages. On a Caribbean sailing, daytime activities probably will include pool games. There's also a court for volleyball and baskatball that's popular with a lot of teens. The Teen Disco also seems to be a big hit at night.

>> With regard to ambiance, Celebrity's ships have a decorum befitting an "upscale" product. There are also very few announcements over the Public Address System -- normally at most one or two per day.

>> Formal DOES mean FORMAL -- either "black tie" or a DARK business suit for gentlemen, including your teens, and ladies literally "dress to the nines." You might want to make sure your teens know what to expect, but the formal evenings will be a great experience for them.

>> Several of the evenings that are not "formal" will be "Informal" rather than "Casual" -- which means that gentlemen wear a shirt with a collar, dress slacks, dress shoes, and a sport coat (neckties are not necessary). Most ladies seem to wear a cocktail dress or something similar on the "Informal" evenings.

>> If anything, the ladies on Celebrity tend to overdress even on casual nights. If you fallow Celebrity's the guidelines for the "Casual" evenings, you may well feel underdressed.

>> For alternative dining, there is a "Casual Dining Boulevard" that includes a sushi bar in the buffet area, but it requires reservations. The "Casual Dining Boulevad" serves the entire dining room menu, and it also has a sushi bar. The Pasta and Pizza Bar also remains open throughout the dinner hour (it operates from noon until 1:00 AM). Keep in mind that the evening dress code applies everywhere else in the ship, though.

>> There's no "all night" buffet, but the Pizza and Pasta Bar operates from 12:00 noon to 1:00 AM. Celebrity also serves "Gourmet Bites" in the lounges around midnight. Also, there are midnight buffets on several evenings of each cruise typically including a tropical deck party, a chocolate buffet, and a grand buffet.

>> The Cova Cafe de Milano sells premium coffees and teas -- at premium prices, of course. Beverages are complementary 24x7 in the buffet area, though.

>> Afternoon tea is somewhat bizarre on Celebrity, but it works well once you figure it out. The normal daily tea service is in the buffet area, served buffet style -- but there's also an "elegant tea" that requires "Informal" dress in the dining room on a couple days of the cruise (usually on days when the evening dress code is also "Informal").

>> Be sure to check out the aft part of the buffet area. Aboard GTS Millennium and her three sisters, the egg and omelette station and the waffle station (at breakfast), and the pizza and pasta stations and the deli bar (at lunch) are all the way to the back of the buffet area, a fair distance from the main buffet. Aboard MV Galaxy, the pizza and pasta bar are in the Magrodome -- actualy a separate space with a swimming pool and a retractable roof located aft of the main buffet.

Oh, it appears tht "JSH" must work for Carnival Corporation. The staff on Celebrity's ships are eager to do anything and everything for you -- even carry your tray for you in the biffet area.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Norm.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:31 PM
Admiral

I really enjoyed reading this post!

My husband and I have sailed both on Celebrity and RCCI, and we have been seriously thinking of trying Carnival, just to spread our wings so to speak. We've heard from friends that Carnival has improved, that they are no longer such a party harty ship.

Anyway, we love Celebrity and RCCI...both really different Cruise lines. Celebrity IS really more upscale, subdued energy...not bad...just different.

RCCI more laid back, geared more toward a slightly younger crowd. Again, a different energy...

My husband and I don't have children...so we try to pick a cruise that will not fall during...Spring Break, Holidays', or other school vactions. But I think that both Celebrity and RCCI get their fair share of children and teens and work well with both groups.

Have a great cruise. You'll love it!
Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:14 PM
First Mate

Bububa hits it right on the head with his discertation of Celebrity ships.We have found everthing to be as he stated and for the record this is the way it is .As for Carnival they have inproved thru the years and we have been on the Spirit twice recently and would suggest that new cruisers try out their larger ships for a better cruising experience.The alternative restaurant was well worth the extra charge and their entertanment in the main lounge as good as anyone.For a more layed back cruise stay with Celebrity or Holland.
Old November 29th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBug
Hummm...interesting. Now I'm worried that if the kids first experience is Celebrity, they won't like it and not want to go again. You post is honest and I appreciate it.

There is nothing worst than traveling with bored teens.
They have a kids program that your children no matter what ages will love. Usually the kids programs are not overcrowded so the kids have much more fun.
Joe