Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2005, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Default Main differences between Celebrity and Carnival?

Can someone advise me to the differences between Celebrity and Carnival. The Cruise of the Century will be only my second cruise. I started seeing things like, no buffet in the evening. No 24 hour pizza. Differences in Formal nights.

I'm going with DH and two teens. What else can you tell me I might have assumed would be the same or different. What is this alternative dining? Reservations? I assume you pay for it extra?

Sorry, I know a lot of questions but you get the idea what I'm getting at.

One cruise still makes me a newbie I guess.

Thanks,

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You have hit on some of the major differences. The dining rooms may be a bit more formal.

The alternative restaurant will probably have a $30 pp charge. The newer Carnival ships also have alternative restaurants that have an additional charge. There are two dining times plus, at this time there is a grand midnight buffet on the last formal night.

The decor will be more toned down than Carnival ships and on Century you will not have a multi deck atrium. I believe it is only four or five decks.

That's a few differences. Others may have some more. I personally prefer Celebrity to Carnival but on my last Carnival cruise I thought the Carnival buffet food was superior to my last cruise on Mercury.

I am looking forward to this cruise not only because there will be so many great people on it and it is New Years but the Century is going through a complete face lift and it should be gorgeous when we sail.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 2nd, 2005, 08:44 PM
Passenger

Celebrity in general is a much classier experience than Carnival. It's really the upscale version of Royal Caribbean. Carnival is the "FunShip". Huge differences.

Probably the biggest difference will be less to do for your kids onboard.

Both cruiselines have great websites with virtual tours & info that you should check out. A good TA should advise you though for future travel.

Now I love Celebrity cruise lines, but the normal progression for family cruisers is to sail Carnival, Royal Caribbean first then after they get a few cruises under their belt they move on to more upscale lines.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Hummm...interesting. Now I'm worried that if the kids first experience is Celebrity, they won't like it and not want to go again. You post is honest and I appreciate it.

There is nothing worst than traveling with bored teens.

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Captain

I think because this is a short cruise, over a holiday period, it won't be like a Celebrity 7 or 10 day sailing. I would hope there would be more going on because bound to be more families, kids/teens onboard!

Just my take on it and I hope I'm right! I remember traveling with my teenage niece and my sister on a 12 day land trip, geesh we had to keep going to keep up with her! :-)
Old November 5th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Good Point Susie...It's the best price for that time of year. Hate to give it up.

Old November 5th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Admiral

If your teen is anything like mine, it's not the activities, but the other teens that they are most interested in on a cruise!

On our last cruise, he hung with the teens constantly, but they did very few of the formal activities offered for the teens.

I predict as long as they have other teens they'll have a blast.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 6th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Beginner

The differences between Carnival and Celebrity are as follows -

Carnival is fun and the personnel really care about the guests.

Celebrity is stiff, formal, rude, and un-caring.
Old November 7th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Carnival is like a party boat and Celebrity is more refined and attracts a more subdued and well traveled cruiser .

Its O.K. that they don't attract the same type of cruiser. Each to there own.
Old November 7th, 2005, 01:51 PM
First Mate

Royal is the best bet for teens & younger kids---carnival might be too much party & celeb more sedate--but over school vac periods it should be fine as kids are everywhere!
Old November 7th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Passenger

JSH: I guess you had a bad experience on Celebrity?

I sailed on my first cruise this past March on Celebrity's Millenium and since I traveled alone (last-minute trip and gf couldn't make it) my only complaint was that after about 10pm there wasn't much to do besides lounges or the disco. Although it was nice that Celebrity groups people at dinner by age as everyone at my table was in their mid to late 20's and we had a great time hanging out together.

The Celebrity staff on Millenium were very very good! They were responsive and attentive and took care of whatever I needed, whenever.

I would definitely recommend Celebrity if someone is looking for a more refined cruise experience although the evening activities might not be much.

- mobster75!
Cruise #2
[img]/countdown2.php?month=01&year=2006&day=14&hour=17:0 0[/img]
Voyager of the Seas, Western Caribbean

Celebrity Millenium, Eastern Caribbean, 3/05
Old November 7th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Thug,

For starters, Celebrity is a "premuium" cruise line whereas Carnival is a "mainstream" cruise line. Thus, Celebrity will be a lot more "up scale" and a lot classier. Here are my observations after six cruises with Celebrity.

>> Teenagers seem to enjoy Celebrity's Teen Program. It offers a lot of diverse activities that teenagers really do seem to enjoy. Teenagers also will enjoy Celebrity's production shows, which are "high energy" family entertainment suitable for all ages. On a Caribbean sailing, daytime activities probably will include pool games. There's also a court for volleyball and baskatball that's popular with a lot of teens. The Teen Disco also seems to be a big hit at night.

>> With regard to ambiance, Celebrity's ships have a decorum befitting an "upscale" product. There are also very few announcements over the Public Address System -- normally at most one or two per day.

>> Formal DOES mean FORMAL -- either "black tie" or a DARK business suit for gentlemen, including your teens, and ladies literally "dress to the nines." You might want to make sure your teens know what to expect, but the formal evenings will be a great experience for them.

>> Several of the evenings that are not "formal" will be "Informal" rather than "Casual" -- which means that gentlemen wear a shirt with a collar, dress slacks, dress shoes, and a sport coat (neckties are not necessary). Most ladies seem to wear a cocktail dress or something similar on the "Informal" evenings.

>> If anything, the ladies on Celebrity tend to overdress even on casual nights. If you fallow Celebrity's the guidelines for the "Casual" evenings, you may well feel underdressed.

>> For alternative dining, there is a "Casual Dining Boulevard" that includes a sushi bar in the buffet area, but it requires reservations. The "Casual Dining Boulevad" serves the entire dining room menu, and it also has a sushi bar. The Pasta and Pizza Bar also remains open throughout the dinner hour (it operates from noon until 1:00 AM). Keep in mind that the evening dress code applies everywhere else in the ship, though.

>> There's no "all night" buffet, but the Pizza and Pasta Bar operates from 12:00 noon to 1:00 AM. Celebrity also serves "Gourmet Bites" in the lounges around midnight. Also, there are midnight buffets on several evenings of each cruise typically including a tropical deck party, a chocolate buffet, and a grand buffet.

>> The Cova Cafe de Milano sells premium coffees and teas -- at premium prices, of course. Beverages are complementary 24x7 in the buffet area, though.

>> Afternoon tea is somewhat bizarre on Celebrity, but it works well once you figure it out. The normal daily tea service is in the buffet area, served buffet style -- but there's also an "elegant tea" that requires "Informal" dress in the dining room on a couple days of the cruise (usually on days when the evening dress code is also "Informal").

>> Be sure to check out the aft part of the buffet area. Aboard GTS Millennium and her three sisters, the egg and omelette station and the waffle station (at breakfast), and the pizza and pasta stations and the deli bar (at lunch) are all the way to the back of the buffet area, a fair distance from the main buffet. Aboard MV Galaxy, the pizza and pasta bar are in the Magrodome -- actualy a separate space with a swimming pool and a retractable roof located aft of the main buffet.

Oh, it appears tht "JSH" must work for Carnival Corporation. The staff on Celebrity's ships are eager to do anything and everything for you -- even carry your tray for you in the biffet area.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Norm.
Old November 8th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Admiral

WOW! Norm!

That was exactly what I was looking to find out. I had no idea that they offered anything for teens let alone everything you listed. I knew it was a little classier but I didn't know exactly what that meant till your post. It sounds like I'd be happier with Celebrity over Carnival. It sounds like from everyones post that being it is a holiday, that should bring on more families to balance it out nicely.

I still have a lot to learn and truely do appreciate the help from people that have experienced it for themselves. Not just make a statement but to back it up with examples.

Dorothy: I'm sure your right.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the differences in opinion too.

Old November 8th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Norm, a question about the alternative dining for dinner..........I had read that it is a limited menu, not the full dining room menu. Has this changed recently, or did I read some misinformation? Thx
Old November 8th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Thug,

That was exactly what I was looking to find out.

Glad to be of assistance!

I had no idea that they offered anything for teens let alone everything you listed.

I think that your teens will be fine -- especially since you are going during a school break, which is when most families with teens can travel. When I went to Alaska aboard GTS Summit last July, the Teen Center in the daytime and the Teen Disco late at night seemed to be "happenin'" places.

I knew it was a little classier but I didn't know exactly what that meant till your post.

Actually, my imrpession is that it's a LOT classier. Ladies who wear "semiformal" dress on the "informal: nights and at least "informal" dress on the "casual" nights will not feel out of place.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old November 8th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Admiral

cali-croozer,

a question about the alternative dining for dinner..........I had read that it is a limited menu, not the full dining room menu. Has this changed recently, or did I read some misinformation?

This could be a matter of personal taste, but I think that Celebrity's dinner menus in the main dining room are pretty limited, too.

That said, you're making a BIG mistake if you are going on a Celebrity cruise with the intention of eating dinner on the "Casual Dining Boulevard" for at least a couple reasons.

>> 1. Dinner in the main dining room really is a major part of the cruise experience. It's also, believe it or not, a great opportunity for youngsters to learn to appreciate an exquisite dinner in a nice restaurant with full service. Parents obviously should prepare chilren ahead by teaching them what to expect, but the dining room staff are well prepared for youngsters.

>> 2. If your intent is to evade dressing for the formal -- and even for informal -- evenings, bear in mind that the prescribed evening attire applies in ALL evening entertainment venues (except the disco, which gears up very late). What do you plan to do after dinner on those evenings -- go to your cabin and watch television? That's not exactly what I'm going to do when I'm on a cruise.

Norm.
Old November 8th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Captain

See, Norm, it is a good thing you came back! You've always been such a wealth of information!
Old November 8th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Susan,

See, Norm, it is a good thing you came back! You've always been such a wealth of information!

Hey, I have missed you all and have been wanting to come back for some time! I just have been WAY too busy....

Norm.
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Norm;

I have to tell you I feel better about booking this cruise now. I was starting to get second thoughts but don't feel that way anymore. I think celebrity will be a better fit.

Again thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll have alot more questions before this cruise. I'm always amazed by the helpful people of this site.

BTW: It's TBug not thug. I don't fit the image of a "thug".
(or maybe I do)

Tina

Old November 8th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Captain

And Tbug is so cute, I like it!

I really think this cruise will be fine! A shorter Holiday cruise, there has to be so much going on, bound to be more families onboard, it will be New Years, don't think of not going!

This is a first for me, with all my cruises, I've never done a shorter cruise (less than 7 days) and never at the holidays. Going with a group, I don't mind but there are times being myself, being single, I get down and hard on myself. Not always but now and then and not what I would call major depression, sometimes a little.

So I've avoided Christmas/New Years cruises and actually Thanksgiving, too but I did one of those with CruiseMates and it turned out great! I had a wonderful time!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, we'll have a great time!
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Susie:

I understand exactly what you are talking about. Just something about that time of year. (lost my dad at Thanksgiving)

You are not the only one going solo for this cruise. I heard of a few. Also, As of now my dh is going, but work may interfer and I may add to that list. It sounds like a good group of people and I'm sure we will keep you so busy that you will have a new outlook on the holidays.

I look forward to meeting you and the other CM's.

Old November 9th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Rev. thanx for your reply. Actually, I've never eaten dinner anywhere but the dining room on my cruises (all on Carnival); I enjoy the atmosphere and the "formal" experience. I was just asking about the alternatives for future reference. Although I've only sailed on Carnival, so far, I enjoy getting information about other cruise lines for future travels.
Old November 9th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have cruised multiple times on both Celebrity and Carnival and I have always had a great time on both. Here's my comparison of the two:

1) Food Quality: I found the food in the main dining room to be of equal quality on both Carnival and Celebrity. However, my family does usually prefer dining in the casual alternative rather than the main dining room. For this, I give the nod to Carnival simply because I liked the convenience of not having to make reservations.

2) Service Levels: I found them to be about the same with no preference for one over the other.

3) Fellow Passengers: Carnival attracted a younger group with more families. However, with the exception of age, I found no overall difference in the passengers. They both contained a diverse crowd which included some loud-mouth boors, some uptight snobs, and the majority falling somewhere in between.

4) Evening Dress Code: Celebrity was a little more formal in terms of dress code with more people adhering to the formal night code and the addition of informal nights. Since I don't like to dress up, I chose the casual alternative for formal nights on both lines (and informal nights on Celebrity). I had no problems enjoying the rest of the evening's activities in my casual attire on either line and saw others doing the same (I am talking "dressy" casual, not shorts and t-shirts).

5) Activities: This is the area where I think Carnival really shines over Celebrity. Daytime activities where about the same on both lines, but Carnival had much more going on in the evenings. However, Carnival WAS NOT the "party boat" that it has the reputation of being. I don't drink alcohol at all, so I would have hated such an atmosphere. It's just that they had more entertainment options late into the evenings. On Celebrity, things tended to shut down too early leaving not much to do. I did think the main showroom entertainment was very good and about equal on both lines.

6) Kid's Programs: My own children were too young for the kid's programs on all my previous cruises, however I traveled with 3 nieces and a nephew ranging in age from 3 to 16 and they all enjoyed the kid's program on both cruiselines immensely. They claim not to have a favorite. We alway cruise during the school year so there were never alot of kids, but enough for them to have a good time.

Overall, I enjoyed cruising on both Carnival and Celebrity and would book either again if the price and itinerary was right. They really are alot more the same than they are different.
Old November 12th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Thankyou luv2cruise99: Good post.

Old November 12th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

T, I find you in the strangest places. I'm glad you asked all those questions. It helped me too. What are the ages of your kids?

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 12th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Luanne;

My son is 17, my daughter is 14 going on 30.

Old November 12th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

T does your son play games on the computer? RD and my son have gotten together playing games. let me know and we can get them together, and then he will have someone he knows on the New Years cruise.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 12th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Admiral

Tina,

I have to tell you I feel better about booking this cruise now. I was starting to get second thoughts but don't feel that way anymore. I think celebrity will be a better fit.

Again thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll have alot more questions before this cruise. I'm always amazed by the helpful people of this site.

You're welcome! I'm always glad to be more of an asset than the first 3/5 of one.... speaking of which...

BTW: It's TBug not thug. I don't fit the image of a "thug".

My apologies. I noticed the error after I posted, and don't know know of any way to correct it. That said, I actually like "Tina" better!

Norm.
Old November 14th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Luanne:

I believe my son invented the computer. Or at least he thinks he has. Yes, he plays computer games. There is an Army one I know he likes a lot. He is also a mediator in another site. Won't mention them here thou. Also likes car racing ones. Yours?

Old November 14th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Norm: You're welcome! I'm always glad to be more of an asset than the first 3/5 of one.... speaking of which...

I had to read this 3 times before I finally "got" it! Funny. Never saw it worded like that before.