Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Familiar Face

Default Informal Evening Sport Jacket and Tie vs Silk Shirt Slacks

Need some advice....leaving on Century 11/17/05...I have a tux for the formal evenings BUT would prefer not to also pack a sport jacket, ties, etc...Is a Sport Jacket really required on Informal nights???

Pls advise...& thanks
Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Admiral

If you REALLY want to wear the appropriate thing you should have a jacket and tie for informal evening. Will you be alone without a jacket on or left to have hamburgers at the pool for dinner, NO.
Old November 10th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Admiral

PapaBill,

If you REALLY want to wear the appropriate thing you should have a jacket and tie for informal evening.

By Celebrity's guidelines, nectties are NOT required on informal evenings.

Norm.
Old November 10th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Admiral

pal88,

Need some advice....leaving on Century 11/17/05...I have a tux for the formal evenings BUT would prefer not to also pack a sport jacket, ties, etc...Is a Sport Jacket really required on Informal nights???

It's best to bring a sportcoat. Don't forget that dining rooms and lounges can be a bit chilly if you end up sitting under an air conditioning duct. If that happens, you'll really appreciate the sport coat!

If you are bringing a tuxedo or a suit for formal nights, the addition of a sport coat is not much strain. If you are planning to go to the "Casual Dining Boulevard" on formal nights, I would recommend booking on a different line.

Norm.
Old November 11th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Admiral

I know very well what you can (and what people do) wear on a Celebrity cruise. However. to quote from Celebrity's own web site under dress codes in FAQ's "On informal nights men are requested to wear a jacket shirt and tie".
The reality is people do not, but the written "code" is as I quoted.
Old November 12th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBill
I know very well what you can (and what people do) wear on a Celebrity cruise. However. to quote from Celebrity's own web site under dress codes in FAQ's "On informal nights men are requested to wear a jacket shirt and tie".
The reality is people do not, but the written "code" is as I quoted.
The requested dress code on the Celebrity web site is as stated above. However, the Celebrity Today newsletter, you receive on the ship daily, said that the required "informal" evening dress for men was: "Jacket, slacks. No jeans." On my recent cruise (10/13/05) on the Mercury, most of the men did not wear a tie on informal nights. Also, there were only two informal nights on our eight day cruise instead of the three informal nights as indicated in the cruise documents and on the web site.

Dave
Old November 13th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Admiral

PapaBill,

Dave is correct; Celebrity's web site is not consistent with either (1) the precrusie documents or (2) the dress code prescribed in "Celebrity Today" aboard the ship. Both of these documents make no mention of neckties in their definitions of informal attire. Many passengers don't look at the web site, so the precruise documents and "Celebrity Today" obviously govern.

Norm.
Old November 13th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Admiral

I'll end this subject with a last comment. "I KNOW WHAT IS WORN ONBOARD" and I stated the website wording exactly as published.
By Celebrity's guidelines as published on their NEW website, a nectie is requested (not required). Very few people actually wear one , but why
are you arguing about what and where they publish the correct information?
I could care less if you show up in the dining room in you skivvy's but do not correct information quoted directly from a current and official source.
Old November 14th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Admiral

PapaBill,

I could care less if you show up in the dining room in you skivvy's but do not correct information quoted directly from a current and official source.

The only definitive source is always Celebrity Today. Anything else is just preliminary advice. Where there's a difference between the web site and actual practice (manifest by Celebrity Today as a recent cruise), I will gladly post the correct information and state that the web site is wrong.

I know that Celebrity's web site should be a "current and official source" but it seems have a lot of inaccurate or obsolete information. More generally, I'm seeing a ton of misinformation in Celebrity's 2006-2007 brochures, too -- like major billing for the "Bar at the Edge of the Earth" (now history...) and even cruise itineraries with the wrong port of embarkation and disembarkation. The company's PR flacks do not have their acts together. Beware.

Norm.
Old November 14th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Actually the written word from the cruise line (whereever it's written) is not only not enforced, it's mostly gone by the way side.

Informal night on Celebrity is basically read by passengers to mean casual, and that's the way the majority dress, and the cruise line takes no action to correct.

Not saying if that's good or bad, just fact.
Old November 14th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

Long time, no see -- but glad to hear that you (and I hope Mrs. Kuki also) are still cruising! Please convey a warm hello to your bride!

Informal night on Celebrity is basically read by passengers to mean casual, and that's the way the majority dress, and the cruise line takes no action to correct.

I'm surprised by your comment. I agree with your comment about lack of enforcement of dress codes, though I have seen some of Celebrity's Assistant Maitres d' turn away some of the more eggregious violators in the ships' dining rooms. Nonetheless, in my experience on Celebrity, most men do seem to don the requested jackets and many ladies actually dress to a semiformal standard informal evenings.

Norm.
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Admiral

So to help me prepare (yes, I know I have LOTS of time) for my Cruise of the Century - wrap it up real tidy for me, folks.

Do I understand correctly there are 3 different dress nights:

2 formal; 2 informal and 3 casual?

Am I also hearing a consensus from experienced Celebrity cruisers that informal and casual are merging together? It's not so much for me - I tend to dress either formal or informal and never casual for the dining room, but for my teen son who wants to clearly know whether he has to wear his jacket, nice pants and shirt for 2 informal nights, or whether he can do resort casual (collared shirt and nice pants) for 5 nights and formal for 2.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 15th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Dorothy, it would be nice if he slipped on the sport jacket with the shirt and nice pants on the informal nights? However, in "reality" you often see teens in the dining room, even on formal night, with no jacket on. I personally wear a jacket every night, even casual nights. But I'm an old guy.
Old November 15th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Dorothy,

Do I understand correctly there are 3 different dress nights:

2 formal; 2 informal and 3 casual?

Here is Celebrity's normal pattern on a seven-night cruise.

>> Night 1: Casual (embarkation day)

>> Night 2: Formal (Captain's "Welcome Aboard" before show)

>> Night 3: Informal

>> Night 4: Casual (Tropical Deck Party if in Tropics)

>> Night 5: Informal

>> Night 6: Formal (Captain's "Farewell" before show)

>> Night 7: Casual (packing day)

Your mileage -- and some itineraries -- may vary, so check the front of "Celebrity Today" on embarkation day for the definitive schedule for your cruise. In particular, the tropical deck party may move to either Night #3 or Night #5 if the ship is staying late in port either of those evenings.

Am I also hearing a consensus from experienced Celebrity cruisers that informal and casual are merging together?

There are always a few boneheads who show up in casual attire on informal nights, but they seem to be a small minority of the passengers. OTOH, many ladies on Celebrity seem to dress beyond the dress code on informal and casual evenings.

It's not so much for me - I tend to dress either formal or informal and never casual for the dining room, but for my teen son who wants to clearly know whether he has to wear his jacket, nice pants and shirt for 2 informal nights, or whether he can do resort casual (collared shirt and nice pants) for 5 nights and formal for 2.

I recommend that your son wear his sport coat in the dining room on the informal nights. He can always stop by the cabin and shed the jacket on the way to the teen events after dinner if the other teen lads don't wear jackets.

Norm.
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

There's what we can wish people would wear, and then there's what they do wear.

I've been on 2 Celeb cruises since last Dec. On both I would say those in jackets on informal nights, were less than half in each case.
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Admiral

And I guess I'm just WANTING a longer cruise, because I forgot - Cruise of the Century is a 5 day!

In any case, thanks for all the good advise folks.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 16th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Dorothy,

And I guess I'm just WANTING a longer cruise, because I forgot - Cruise of the Century is a 5 day!

Eeeewww, yuck! That's WAY too short!

In that case, I'm guessing that the second and fourth nights probably will be formal and the thrid night probably will be informal, but check the pre-cruise literature when you get it to be sure.

Norm.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
First Mate

For informal night : Jacket YES but the tie is optional (most don't wear it ) Amost everyone wears the jacket even if its a casual one... You could always wear your suit jacket with another type of slacks...but that might not look so great! On our Sept cruise the daily bulletin made it clear what the dress code meant & for what night it applied--they switched one of the nights & we showed up ready for informal & everyone was casual--There was a diif between the two!
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:21 PM
First Mate

I would only add that by the time you read "Celebrity Today" it is too late to pack anything, as you are already onboard the ship. Therefore, the poster who quoted the website would seem to be correct as that is the information available at packing time. That being said, I agree with HCAT. On my last 3 Celebrity cruises I observed most men to be in a sport coat if not a tie on informal night.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean