Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Default Be Wary of "Valet" Baggage Service

This is a new service offered by Celebrity at $10.00 per passenger for American Airlines passengers who meet certain criteria. These passengers are issued thier AA boarding passes and special tags to replace the debarkation tags. The passenger then claims his bags at the pier, clears customs and returns the bags to a designated place. The passenger may then proceed straight to the departure gate at the airport. This can be a blessing in Miami where American Airlines is a zoo at check-in. We decided to avail ourselves of this service and recieved the luggage tags along with our boarding passes. Problems ensued. First there was a great deal of confusion as to where the alleged valets were and we were greeted by a very angry Celebrity employee who was cussing the situation like a sailor. She angrily stated that Celebrity should not do this if they do not have the kinks worked out. The valets finally arrived and began retagging the bags. This is because the bar-coded tag issued earlier was only for transit to MIA and not the final tag. No explanation for from AA or Celebrity. It would appear that the tags were identical to the ones that they were replaced with except they are coded with final destination. When we got to Philly only one of two bagsarrived. The AA rep in Philly laughed knowingly when we explained the situation. Apparently we were not the first that has had baggage lost or misrouted using this system. The search is on....Caveat Emptor...

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Familiar Face

My wife and I just debarked from the Century Nov. 17th,2005 and initially were glad that Celebrity offered the "valet" service with our airline, Delta.
I was curious about the service, so I went to guest relations to inquire about how the process worked. This was the 4th night of our 10 day cruise. We were told by a friendly young lady that we would receive
our boarding passes and a letter stating which area of the ship we were to wait to debark, as there are NO general announcements once the ship was "cleared" by customs. Also, we wouldn't see our luggage until it arrived at our final destination (Philly airport). I informed her that we had a "connecting" flight in Atlanta, and would that create any problem? She replied no and that if there was any problem, she would call my cabin before final arrangements were made.
On the last night of the cruise, we received our docs after "first seating dinner", around 8:00PM. I'm glad that I examined the docs as soon as I received them; Celebrity had only issued boarding passes for Atlanta and not to Philadelphia. When I returned to the "guest relations" to find our the problem, the only person able to find out what went wrong was a fellow named Mario and he wasn't available at that time, but would remedy the situation and we were asked to return an hour latter.When I returned again to G.R., I was informed that Delta would not do the "valet"
luggage with "connectioning flights", even though both flights were with Delta.
I can't understand how Celebrity or Delta can offer a service without clarifying the conditions. Also, I'm no too happy that Celebrity didn't catch the mistake, as they had the form completed, showing our flights and schedule, including connections flights. Just another reason to book your own airfare.

Regards...Bob

Bob
Old December 4th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Admiral

We did a Princess Alaska Cruise/Tour in May and chose to take the option in Vancouver where our luggage would go directly to the airport and we would not see it until we arrived home (all purhcases were in carry-ons). We went thru customs bypassing the normal routine and then proceeded to the gate, without seeing luggage after we put it out the night before, the morning of debarkation we received luggage tags etc.

Well, we got to Washington/Dulles and low and behold, our luggage was there!
Old December 8th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Passenger

I have just done a cruise on Infinity (Nov 20-Dec 4). On board rec. info re the "luggage valet serves", it was not very clear, and Guest relations were not much help. However I eventually found out that this service is only valid if:-
You are flying within the USA
Flying Delta, AA or United
Your flight is after 12 noon
Any connecting flight has to be with the same air line

Cost was $15 per person for two regular bags.

I decided to do this , but again Guest relations fell down on the details (they fell down on details quite often on this cruise!). They failed to tell passengers that the air line concerned had to check the booking , and that you would not get your luggage tags and debarking info until after 9pm on the last night (this caused me many anxious moments that last night)

Once I got the tags I checked all docs , boarding passes etc placed tags on luggage and put it out as usual.
Next morning went to Showroom, the girl announced the Col WHITE but failed to announce Nos 1,or 2. or A or B. When I asked a Celebrity staffer, she was very snippy to me, downright rude in fact,
However I proceeded to the debark "hanger", walked through NO LUGGAGE to collect, gave my Customs form to the person at the gate, and another Celeb staffer directed me to a special bus

Got to airport, 3 hours early, boarded at San Diego, panic at Dallas as plane was late, but wheel chair pusher got me to plane ok, made it to Fort Myers, and then at baggage claim, gave big sigh of relief as my bags appeared safely

Is the service worth the $15 per person, yes but Celebrity MUST INSTRUCT THE STAFF to give out FULL details, and call out "LUGGAGE VALET PASSENGERS HOLDING ******** tags etc" .

I have to say that although I enjoyed the cruise, I did feel and so did many others that Infinity staff were less than polite, many complained to passengers that they were too busy to deal with "whatever was the problem". The Daily Event sheet always contained errors of time or place,most eyebrow raising was that on the DEC 3rd which said

"Passengers should place their luggage outside their cabins by midnight on NOVEMBER 19th"

Does Celebrity have staff relations problems?
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Thanks to all who have commented on this. The Airline cannot be responsible for luggage that you do not personally give to them. It is always the problem of "It wasn't our fault"
I do remember coming back from a Norway cruise to Harwich, England in 1997. We were told to put our suitcases in a colored bag (supplied). This served the purpose of our bags not touching English soil.(no need to go through English Customs). They went to the airport and checked to Atlanta where we claimed them out of the bag with our baggage tags on them to Atlanta. We rechecked the bags for the next flight and had new baggage tags placed. This is the only time I have had a so called valet service. It would seem that the baggage tags would be only to the next customs site, and then further tagging would occur.
If our bags had not arrived, I wonder who would be responsible. Delta could always say that they did not receive them and therefore are not responsible. This was a RCCL ship and RCI could always say that they gave the bags to Delta.
If your bags change airlines, it is my understanding that the first airline you deliver the bags to is the airline responsible even if the bags are transferred to another airline. (usually a partner airline). If the rule could be made that the company that you deliver the bags to (Say Celebrity) is the company responsible, than the system might work.
We to my knowledge were not charged extra for this in 1997. Of course now you get charged for everything.
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Beginner

It seems that all of these posts are from 2005 or earlier. I have been using the Luggage Valet service on cruises for the past two years and have found it to be a MUST. Although from what I am reading there might have been a few kinks in the system years ago, I have never had any problems and have always received correct boarding passes and luggage tags in my room the night before we got back to port. It is so nice to get off the ship before anyone else, because you don't have any luggage. It is also nice when you have your kids with you to enjoy the rest of the day before your flight takes off luggage free! :-)
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:52 PM
First Mate

Default Luggage Valet

I used the service last month in Ft. Lauderdale and it could not have gone smoother. Definitely worth the money

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11