CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Disembarkation Day on Summit - A Disaster (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/306214-disembarkation-day-summit-disaster.html)

ILoveCruising January 5th, 2006 12:34 AM

Disembarkation Day on Summit - A Disaster

I just came off the 15 night Holiday Cruise onboard the Summit doing the Hawaiian Islands. It was a wonderful cruise. The food was wonderful and the service was impeccable. It was one of those cruises that you will never forget until it was time for disembarkation. You all have probably heard about the storms in California so when we got of the ship it was raining in Los Angeles. Wait is was not raining it was pouring. When the ship was cleared we began to get off and go to get our luggage. What we find in a storm of chaos in the rain because Celebrity put everyones bags in the rain and half of them were not even unloaded and still on carts. It was a sight to see. I am an elite member and always love Celebrity but this was it. They really treated us “famously.� I have created a gallery with some of the pictures from disembarkation day.

Celebrity needs to compensate the passengers for the disaster of 2,3000 people will never sail with them again.

sealegs January 5th, 2006 03:51 PM

:?: Hi,
That is indeed a sad and pathetic end to what looked like a dream cruise up to that point.
I've seen the pix....Did you find out , afterwards, what caused this total chaotic nonsense ??? Under normal circumstances, there is quite a rigid protocol followed as regards offloading bags from ship to inside the building, for it to be displayed properly, by color codes....and only then are guests allowed to start looking for their bags and even touch them. This is carried out by longshoremen...( and God helps any non-union person even touching a bag during the process...). Anybody, ANYBODY other than authorized Port authority staff, longshoremen and Cruise ship personnel is NOT allowed to roam around the pier.
The pix you showed and your description of the fiasco seem to indicate bags were simply binned out from the ship and simply left there ,in the rain and on the pier,for the hord of passengers to siphon through the mess and find their bags. This is SO totally against rules, regulations and common sense, something must have happened which left Celebrity helpless....Did you observe what was happening to the RCL's Monarch of the Seas, berthed next to you ??? Same rain, same day, same port....even same ownership !!!
Did you observe if there were ANY port authority personnel or longshoremen people inside the terminal area ???
Wildcat strike ?? Can't be 2nd January stat holidays....

Too bad for you and the other 2,300 pax....I still beleive no cruise line in their right mind would willingly trigger something like that....

Cheers
CG
:shock:

JeanS January 5th, 2006 06:01 PM

Wow, I am really shocked!! We're leaving on the same cruise in April, I sure hope it won't be raining by then! You mean there was no building in which to put the luggage?? We've had to search thru an ocean of luggage before, and it amazes me how 3 cases can be together, and the one elusive one can be wayyyyy over there! I'm hoping we can carry off our own luggage as we've done before, sure would make it a lot easier! Thank goodness for suitcases on wheels....

Did you contact Celebrity?? I sure would be interested to hear what they have to say about the situation, but then, they'll probably just blame it on the other guy....

Ron January 5th, 2006 09:34 PM

Well Celebrity, looks like you need to do some explaining especially to the folks who were kind enough to plop down their money to sail with you.

hcat January 8th, 2006 06:44 PM

Just viewed your photos & came back to this post. We are on this trip from Long Beach--San Pedro in March . Isn't there a building where you embark & disembark through...cannot believe my eyes! Guess we'll have our rain ponchos handy.

sealegs January 8th, 2006 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcat
Isn't there a building where you embark & disembark through...cannot believe my eyes! Guess we'll have our rain ponchos handy.

:) Hi,
There sure is; a proper terminal building with leading corridors to elevators, walkways/gangways, pier, etc.....And, I might add, fairly new as my wife commented in September when we debarked off Island Princess.

As I stated in a previous post, the '' procedure'' followed on 2nd January is the weirdest and strangest thing I've heard of in my experience...It's not even a ''procedure'' and I' m positive something happened which left the cruise lineS ( there were two that day) high and dry and without any
logistical support to effect proper debarkation...something at the LosAngeles San Pedro port Authority level, or the longshoremen's Union.

Strange...
CG
:?:

ILoveCruising January 9th, 2006 11:00 AM

Actually it was the Visions of the Seas that was next to us and there seemed to be going in a little more orderly fashion then ours. Yes, we were in the Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro). There is a building but it is offly small and does not seem to be able to accomidate so many bags and people. To me the pier dd not seem new at all. It was a pretty old pier and building.

JeanS January 9th, 2006 11:23 AM

Sealegs,

You mean there was a terminal to be used for baggage there? Was it empty? I don't understand why the luggage was in the rain if they had a terminal bldg there??

Also, ILoveCruising, by "offly", did you mean "awfully"??? Hmmm, I know I'm going to be chastised for this, because most people don't seem to think spelling is important, but that is the most unusual incorrect spelling I've seen!

I hope it isn't raining when we come back to that port from Hawaii in April, but thanks for the info! We'll be sure to bring our ponchos with us, and hopefully we can take our own luggage off. Did they offer that option???

hcat January 9th, 2006 01:43 PM

I would love to take my own luggage on & off but for Hawaii we will be heavily packed & I am not sure they will permit that--does anyone know the policy???? Wish the cruiseline know how much anxiety there is surrounding getting & retrieving luggage--seems to be a black hole type of system!--no receipts or bar coded tages