Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Beginner

Default informaion on Mercury and san deigo

Hii, Will be taking the Mexican Riviera cruise on April 17 on the Mercury, would appreciate any information on the ship and San Diego. We will arrive on April 16 and would like to go to the zoo. Do we need a car to go to the zoo or do they have public transporation?. Thanks Kathy
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2006, 06:24 PM
First Mate

where will you be staying? we have the same trip booked for next yr & want to find a hotel that is convenient to the ship but will allow us to visit the zoo & Balboa Park over two days pre-cruise. I hope there is a shuttle.from hotel to park & maybe cabs to get back?????
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Admiral

We'll be sailing from San Diego in March, and we're staying at the Best Western Bayside Inn...which is within walking distance from the ship dock. We've never stayed there before...but it sounds nice. They will pick up passengers at the airport and then take them to the docks in the morning. Or since the Inn is within walking distance from the ship's...you could walk it. Again, we've only see the hotel from the outside on previous visits to San Diego...

We have stayed at the Red Lion Hanalei, it is not far from the docks, BUT you do need a car!

We've been to San Diego several times and have never used public transportation or a cab. No matter what, you have to make sure you are back in time for the ship departure. Last year a couple got left behind because they couldn't get a cab in time!
They waited to long to call for the cab...and then after the cab arrived, they were late because the traffic was jamming! We were on the Mercury and they were on Hal. We felt really bad for them.

But a cab might work if you have one pick you up from the ship and then make a SPECIFIC PREARRANGED TIME for them to take you back to the ship...leaving time on both sides for traffic and delays. We did this in New York with no problems.
Old January 10th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Kathy,

Hii, Will be taking the Mexican Riviera cruise on April 17 on the Mercury, would appreciate any information on the ship and San Diego. We will arrive on April 16 and would like to go to the zoo. Do we need a car to go to the zoo or do they have public transporation?.

Public transportation in and around San Diego is pretty limited and, last I new, had not reached Balboa Park, where the zoo and many of San Diego's museums are, so you'll need a car to do almost anything. I should mention that the aerospace museum in Balboa Park is a worth a visit.

The good news is that the cruise pier is only a couple blocks from the airport. I think that most of the the rental car companies will drop you at the pier rather than at an airport terminal when you return a rental. If not, though, a taxi from the airport to the pier will be quite reasonable.

If you are looking for a nice restaurant for dinner in the San Diego area, check out the 94th Aeor Squadron (http://www.94thaerosquadron.signonsandiego.com/). The restaurant has the theme of the officers' mess of a World War I air squadron, complete with period relics. The rear looks out onto Montgomery Field, an airport for civil aviation (unfortunately modernized since my first visit there...), that adds to the theme. To get there, take the 163 Freeway north from either I-5 or I-8 to Balboa Ave east. The restaruant is a short distance on the right.

Norm.
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Passenger

Who better to help you out than a San Diego native. Though we do not have the absolute best transit system in the world we do have one that will let you get around and see the sites. The MTS busing system has a phone line once you get into sd where they can give you a route from anywhere to anywerhere. there is a bus that takes you to balboa park and once in there there is a free tram (shuttle) that takes you to the various musuems and the zoo. The fare for the bus is 2.00 and then you get a transfer.

regarding the hotels. port of san diego in my opinion has to be one of the most conviently located ports in the nation. it is smack dab in the middle of dowtown and everything is around it. if you want to wake up and havwe your ship literally across the street then the holiday in on harbor drive is right there, the only thing seperating the hotel and the ship in a street. it is very close. if you are looking for a hotel that is a little bit more upscale then you can try the marriott marina which is a goreous proprety on the waterfront. there is also the marriott residence inn downtown which i belive offers free shuttle to airport and some attractions and that is a little more moderate.

if you have any questions please feel free to ask and i would love to help. thank you for chosing to sail from san diego we greatly appreaciate it.

.....they dont call us america's finest city for nothing.....enjoy......
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Passenger

oh yea and hte ship. it is a beautiful ship and its service, food, and entertainement live us to the celebrity name. have fun. i am gonna go on her next year for christmas/new years from ft. lauderdale to san diego on the panama canal.
Old January 11th, 2006, 02:11 PM
First Mate

thanks for all the info--we will sightsee on our pre-cruise days but day of departure go right to the ship--to avoid any delays. Will probably take a cab or hotel shuttle to the park itself & then used the shuttle to get to museums & the zoo--What else is nearby that we might enjoy????
Old January 11th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Admiral

hcat,

thanks for all the info--we will sightsee on our pre-cruise days but day of departure go right to the ship--to avoid any delays. Will probably take a cab or hotel shuttle to the park itself & then used the shuttle to get to museums & the zoo--What else is nearby that we might enjoy????

We have already mentioned the zoo and the various museums in Balboa Park, so I won't say anything more about them. Here are some more sightseeing options.

>> The area known as North Island, located on the west side of the bay and linked by a long sandbar to Imperial Beach at the south end of the bay, is an easy drive across the Coronado Bridge from I-5 just south of downtown. The city of Coronado, originally a vacation destination with quaint cottages and small shops along its main street that, in many ways, are reminiscent of Cape Cod, occupies roughly the southern half of North Ilsand with a naval air station on the northern half. Most of the cottages are now primary residences, but the city retains its quaint charm. The Hotel del Coronado at the south end of the city is one of the grand dames of American hotels that catered -- and continue to cater -- to America's most affluent guests. There's no charge to visit the beautiful grounds, including a spectacular beach, and the shops on the hotel's ground floor. I don't know whether visitors can use the beach at the hotel or not, but it's a moot point because the weather and the water probably will be too cool for swimming when you are there anyway.

If you follow Coronado's main street south past the Hotel del Coronado, it turns into Silver Strand Boulevard. Just beyond the hotel, you'll pass the headquarters of the U. S. Pacific Fleet and the naval amphibious base where the members of the Navy's Underwater Demolition Teams ("frog men") and SEAL units -- the most elite unit of the U. S. Armed Forces -- receive their basic UDT/SEAL training. Beyond the base, you'll come to a junction for a very upscale marina/condo development on the bay side and a very nice public beach on the ocean side followed by a couple more miles of sandbar separating the ocean from the bay to the city of Imperial Beach.

>> On the north side of the city, the Scripps Oceanographic Institute is in La Jolla. IIRC, the Scripps Institute has exhibits that are open to the public. I think that La Jolla has other attractions, too, but I'm not sure what else is there.

>> San Diego is very much a Navy town, and it's likely that at least some of the fleet will be in port there during your visit. You may see some aircraft carriers moored at the North Island Naval Air Station from the airport or your cruise ship. Other surface ships genrally pull into the main naval base on the east side of the harbor, south of the Coronado Bridge, but submarines pull into the submarine base at Point Loma, the northern entrance to the harbor. There are many smaller naval bases in the area, too, but most of the bases do not admit visitors.

>> Many visitors to the San Diego area like to take a day trip across the border into Tijuana, Mexico, to shop and to party. Don't forget, though, that the duty-free allowance is a "once every thirty days" benefit so any shoppoing in Tijuana could have a negative impact if you bring back souvenirs purchased during your cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Norm.