Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Norm, you conformist you,

Staying on the correct side of a yellow line is not a guideline, it is the LAW. It is illegal to drive on the wrong side of the road.

Conforming to Celebrity's guidelines (in their own words, when I spoke to their rep on the phone) for what to wear on their ships IS a guideline, NOT the LAW. It is NOT illegal to wear blue jeans to the after dinner show, or EVEN in the dining room, believe it or not!!

Just thought I'd clear that up for you!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Jean,

Staying on the correct side of a yellow line is not a guideline, it is the LAW. It is illegal to drive on the wrong side of the road.

That's true, but it does not stop people from doing it.

Conforming to Celebrity's guidelines (in their own words, when I spoke to their rep on the phone) for what to wear on their ships IS a guideline, NOT the LAW. It is NOT illegal to wear blue jeans to the after dinner show, or EVEN in the dining room, believe it or not!!

Sure, you won't get arrested, or get a citation, for violating the dress code. Nonetheless, the norms of social etiquette dictate that we all must follow such guidelines. In fact, social etiquette dictates the use of terms such as "suggest" and "guideline" rather than "require" and "standard" -- but social etiquette also dictates that such softer terms carry the same expectation of conformance on the part of participants in the associated function or event. If you have doubts about this, go to your local library and read what any book on social etiquette says about the matter.

Norm.
Old January 26th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Jean....

I have to agree with Norm on something and disagree with you on another.

"Staying on the correct side of a yellow line is not a guideline, it is the LAW. It is illegal to drive on the wrong side of the road. "

The yellow line IS a guideline. It IS to stop people from driving on the wrong side of the road. I don't think it is a law per say, but ignoring it would be a violation of the rules of the road, and you would recieve a citation. WITHOUT this line and asking people to take it upon themselves to do the right thing and adhere to the rules of the road...just wouldn't work. There would always be someone trying to buck the system and move over to the other side more and more until driving would be an obstacle course. Hence we paint lines on the road to guide people to follow them.

"social etiquette dictates the use of terms such as "suggest" and "guideline" rather than "require" and "standard" -- but social etiquette also dictates that such softer terms carry the same expectation of conformance on the part of participants in the associated function or event."

This is true

While wearing jeans is not a violation of LAW, you are venturing OUTSIDE of the suggested guidelines.

As the lines down a road remind us to follow the rules of the road, a suggested dress code does the same. Crossing those lines in either case is going against the flow of traffic.

No one says you are required to wear a heavy winter coat outside when it is 10 below...however you would look pretty silly shovelling snow in a thong. Its not illegal.....just not the accepted way of doing things.

Just my 2 cents

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old January 26th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Admiral

I am SO done with this subject. There are more important things going on in the world and my life to stress over and put my energies towards than the beaten-to-death subject of people having serious fits over what I am wearing on vacation.

Enjoy your ongoing discussions...I'm sure they will go on until the end of time..

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas