Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Admiral

Default Celebrity's first "wide body" ship..

Did you know that Celebrity has their first "wide body" ship on order? It is set to debut in 2008 and 90% of the cabins will be outside cabins. And of course many of them will be balcony cabins. It is my understanding that the cabins will be larger (215 sq. ft) than your standard cabin on most ships. I, personally, am very excited about this new class ship for Celebrity and hope I am fortunate enough to sail her.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

It will be interesting to see the progress of this ship.
Being a new class the name of the ship. Wondering the length, width, the weight and how many passengers it will hold. Also crew to passenger ratio.

2008 is not that far off in the future. Hmmm, just thought will it have the Azipod bearing and steering system. Hope not and Celebrity learned their lesson from the Millie class.

Old January 13th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Admiral

Coooool.

Where can we get more info on this new ship?

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old January 13th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Admiral

I read about the new class in a trade magazine. I'm not sure where you could find more information. I'll keep digging and let you know.
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:48 AM
First Mate

That's interesting. Currently, Celebrity's Millennium Class ships & Royal's Radiance Class ships just fit in the Panama Canal, anything wider wouldn't fit. I wonder what the planned itineraries for these ships would be? Unless they are planning to take them around Cape Horn, or the Straights of Magellan any particular ship would be limited to an itinerary either east or west of the Americas.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old January 13th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

While not a fan of this continuing" mega liner" building program by most cruise lines, I am interested in the Celebrity new builds because Celebrity is our most frequently sailed cruise line.
I just hope they don't try to be "everything to everyone" that might cruise . (leave that to parent company Royal Caribbean and other lines.)

I also find the trend toward expanding cell phone usage on ships as another way that rude people can carry on endless loud converstions about nothing and subjects that should be private. (no class).
Old January 13th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Admiral

I did a little more research and this is what I've come up with: 117,000 GRT
2850 passenger capacity and due out in the Fall of 2008.
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

The shipbuilder is the same one that built the Century class ships not the Millie class.
The announcement was made last summer.

Quote:
CELEBRITY CRUISES ORDERS NEW CRUISE SHIP,
LAUNCHES INNOVATIVE NEW CLASS

Miami - (July 12, 2005 ) - Celebrity Cruises will build a new cruise ship and launch a new class of landmark ships, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and German shipbuilder Meyer Werft announced today after signing a letter of intent. Celebrity also has an option for a second ship. The agreement is subject to customary conditions being satisfactorily met.

Celebrity incorporates many features typically associated with luxury cruising in its new ship. More than 90 percent of the ship's staterooms are outside cabins, and more than 90 percent of those rooms have balconies.

The standard stateroom on this ship is much larger than the standard stateroom in the cruise industry. The average standard stateroom on Celebrity's new ship is 215 square feet.

Other distinctive features are planned for the new design and will be announced in coming months. Their inclusion on the ship, like the added balconies and larger staterooms, is the result of Celebrity's close dialogue with its guests and trade partners.

The new ship, Celebrity's first wide-body construction, has a volume of 117,000 gross registered tons, and length and width of 1,033 feet by 121 feet, making it a post-Panamax vessel. The 1,425-stateroom ship accommodates 2,850 guests (double occupancy) and 1,250 crew.

"Today's announcement clearly demonstrates the company's continuing commitment to the growth and innovative development of the Celebrity brand, "said Dan Hanrahan, president of Celebrity Cruises. "It also strengthens our hand in delivering the incredible service and amenities and the phenomenal cruise experience Celebrity is known for."

"We are excited to be collaborating with Celebrity on this new, breakthrough design and its market-leading innovations," said Meyer Werft Managing Partner Bernard Meyer. "It has taken us many months to develop a strong, working prototype and this next-generation of ships is truly extraordinary."

The company expects delivery of the new ship in Fall 2008. It estimates the all-in cost of the ship to be approximately $225,000 per berth. The exercise date for the second ship is March 15, 2006, subject to certain conditions.

With today's new ship and current ship orders, the company predicts fleet capacity to increase by 2.8 percent in 2006, 7.4 percent in 2007, and 7.2 percent in 2008. Celebrity Cruises is owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., a global cruise vacation company, which also operates Royal Caribbean International. The company has a combined total of 29 ships in service, two under construction and one on firm order. The company also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Canada and Europe through its cruise-tour division. Additional information can be found on www.celebrity.com, www.royalcaribbean.com or www.rclinvestor.com.
[/quote]
Old January 14th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Sorry steve but I just read on the ship builders site that it will be equipped with diesel engines and podded propulsion systems.

http://www.meyerwerft.de/news_press_...t=news&pid=146

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old January 14th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Thanks Liam, but I can't read German. I'll take your word on the propulsion system.

Old January 14th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Steve go to the bottom right of the page and click the British flag icon. That will make it easier for you to read.

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old January 14th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Admiral

OK, missed that icon. Have to get a wide body computer monitor.

Old January 15th, 2006, 02:10 AM
First Mate

Good evening, all

Some good,....and some not so good.....1/ Yes, they got the lesson the hard way with Millie & Co.;; newbuild to be equipped with '' standard'' ( read: time proven) propulsion 2/ 90%++ outside staterooms 3/ higher than average size for their overall standard staterooms......

But, with only 9 ships in the fleet ( 8 if Zenith is retired in '08 upon arrival of the newbuild ), and Xpedition not being interchangeable, having a post-panamax really hurts X's flexibility in fleet deployment....Don't you think ??? Unless they sail the newbuild thru Asia , transPacific and onto USA WestCoast, this ship will be ''Europe//Carribean'' 24/7....I'm surprised RCI went that route with X's limited fleet, not the same scenario as its own which can '' afford'' the number of PostPanamax they have.

My opinion anyways.

Any toughts, anybody ??

OH yes....looking forward to seeing that newbuild...it's high time, none since 2002...

Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old January 15th, 2006, 03:52 PM
First Mate

Sounds like it will be another huge beast--the ones I hope are NOT in port when my M class or Radiance ship is in port. As it is the ports are too crowded on many days....
Old January 15th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Admiral

It will be interesting to see what itinerary this ship will be sailing.

At one time Celebrity was going to have an itinerary in the South Pacific but pulled out do to logistics. That is still on hold.

Time will tell and look forward to reading more as the ship gets built.

Old January 15th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Admiral

sealegs,

But, with only 9 ships in the fleet ( 8 if Zenith is retired in '08 upon arrival of the newbuild ), and Xpedition not being interchangeable, having a post-panamax really hurts X's flexibility in fleet deployment....Don't you think ??? Unless they sail the newbuild thru Asia , transPacific and onto USA WestCoast, this ship will be ''Europe//Carribean'' 24/7....I'm surprised RCI went that route with X's limited fleet, not the same scenario as its own which can '' afford'' the number of PostPanamax they have.

I'm not persuaded. I think that the company plans to deploy MV Zenith on some more exotic itineraries, much as Princess does with smaller vessels. It would be nice to see itineraries to the South Pacific and to the far east, for example. Even if MV Zenith goes away, though, the line will have as many vessels in the range of 70,000 tons to 95,000 tons as the larger fleet of Princess Cruises that can operate Panama Canal itiineraries, and Princess operates one of the largest fleets of "post-panamax" vessels (that is, vessels that are too large to transit the Panama Canal) with seven such ships now in service and an eighth under construction. Here's a listing of the current Princess fleet, sorted by size.

>> R1 Class (30,277 tons, 686 passengers) - MV Tahitian Princess year round and MV Pacific Princess for summer season (operated by sister line P&O Australia for winter season), both acquired after the bankruptcy of Renaissance Cruises; 1.5 ships

>> Regal Princess Class (60,845 tons, 1590 passengers) -- MV Regal Princess; 1 ship

>> Sun Princess Class (77,499 tons, 1950 passengers) -- MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, and MV Sea Princess; 3 ships

>> Coral Princess Class (91,627 tons, 1974 passengers) -- MV Coral Princess and MV Island Princess; 2 shops

>> Grand Princess Class (108,806 tons, 2600 passengers, post-panamax) -- MV Grand Princess, MV Golden Princess, and MV Star Princess; 3 ships

>> Diamond Princess Class (113,000 tons, 2674 passengers; post-panamax) -- MV Diamond Princess and MV Sapphire Princess; 2 ships

>> Caribbean Princess Class (117,000 tons, 3100 passengers; post-pnamax) -- MV Caribbean Princess and MV Crown Princess, plus MV Emerald Princess under construction; 2 ships active + 1 ship under construction

It's important to note that post-panamax vessels can move between the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean either of two ways, and Princess's vessels have done or are scheduled to do both. One option is a deployment to South America, where Celebrity already has a strong presence, for the winter season and then to rerturn north on the other side. The other option is a repositioning cruise across the Indian Ocean and through the Red Sea and the Suez Canal, which would offer some rare ports of call for Celebrity's faithful customers. Such an itinerary might precede or follow a season of cruises in the western Pacfic or around Australia and New Zealand, where sister line Royal Caribbean Internatoinal usually deploys a ship for the winter season.

Norm.
Old January 16th, 2006, 03:18 PM
First Mate

Good morning, Norm

Appreciate your views; As usual, you make sense, when presenting the fleet argument the way you did.
I was merely expressing surprise at RCI at having gone the way of PostPanamax for X brand when it only has 8 ships IN TOTAL...compared with Princess that has over 15....thus able to have half of its fleet unable to transit.
And yes, there are other ways to go Atlantic to Pacific; QMII is just doing it, and Princess is shifting GOLDEN to the WestCoast next spring '07 for her future deployment by way of a couple of SouthAmerica itineraries ending up in California. You're correct...

Do you think RCI will go '' Asian-SouthPacific'' with its own brand ( rumoured to go: Serenade) or with X ??? ( i'd see one of the Millie going there after the new build is in service....). ???

Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old January 16th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Admiral

sealegs,

Appreciate your views; As usual, you make sense, when presenting the fleet argument the way you did.

Thanks for your kind words!

I was merely expressing surprise at RCI at having gone the way of PostPanamax for X brand when it only has 8 ships IN TOTAL...compared with Princess that has over 15....thus able to have half of its fleet unable to transit.

I'm surprised that Celebirty has not ordered post-panamax vessels before now, but the exceutives probably were more than a little concerned about the ability to maintain the quality of the product while servicing more than about 2500 passengers. It's prodent to make sure that you can maintain qualtiy before you expand. Don't forget that the Millennium class more than doubled the total capacity of the line.

Do you think RCI will go '' Asian-SouthPacific'' with its own brand ( rumoured to go: Serenade) or with X ??? ( i'd see one of the Millie going there after the new build is in service....). ???

That's an interesting question. I thought that sister line Royal Caribbean International was already deploying one vessel to Australia and New Zealand for the winter season, but I don't see those itineraies listed on the line's web site. The company may well send one vessel from each fleet to that region simultaneously with alternating schedules so the embarkation and tour staff can alternate between servicing both vessels, as seems to be the company's pattern in other destinations. I also would like to see a ship or two deployed to the south Pacific, at least for the winter season....

Norm.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 02:44 PM
First Mate

I heard on other Celebrity ships that their frequent Celebrity cruisers want them to expand to other parts of the world. Asia and the South Pacific.

I also heard the new build is going to be a more luxurous ship that the Millenium class, even though it's bigger it might do some longer voyages which is also being requested by past Celebrity cruisers.

I feel Celebrity may be competing with Holland and now Oceania which does longer and more interesting destinations. It seems that everyone is catering to the baby boomers since they now have the money to spend on vacations.

I can see the new ship doing the Caribbean which is still very popular and the piers can handle a larger ship (look at RCL's Voyager class) and then they will send their Millenium class or even smaller ships to the more exotic ports. I'm sure by the end of next year we will learn more.

I think you are going to see a broader itinerary with Celebrity in 2008. Just my thoughts or maybe just my wishful thinking.
2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealegs
Good evening, all

Celebrity currently has 4 ships in Europe. A larger ship might be able to do the work of 2 smaller ships that it currently has there - the Century and the Galaxy. That would then free up 2 smaller ships for more exotic and costlier itineraries.
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:55 PM
Admiral

daysatsea,

Celebrity currently has 4 ships in Europe. A larger ship might be able to do the work of 2 smaller ships that it currently has there - the Century and the Galaxy. That would then free up 2 smaller ships for more exotic and costlier itineraries.

That's an interesting option, but I really don't foresee it. The demand for cruises to Europe is growing, so there's little doubt that Celebrity Cruises will expand capacity there rather than consolidating capacity on fewer vessels. It's far more likely that Celebrity will shuffle vessels with GTS Millennium and GTS Constellation taking over the itineraries currently operated by MV Galaxy and MV Century as the newbuilds take over the itineraries currently operated by MV Millennium and MV Constellation. Either MV Galaxy or MV Century probably would take over the Bermuda itineraries from MV Zenith, which would either open new itineraries or leave the Celebrity fleet.

It seems very likely that the new class of ships will grow to more than just the two vessels (one firm order and one option) in the original contract. A couple vessels of this class probably will go to the Pacific Ocean sooner or later to operate Alaska itineraries in the summer and either Hawaii or South America itineraries in the winter.

Norm.
Old January 24th, 2006, 01:06 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysatsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealegs
Good evening, all

Good concept....but two ships doing two itineraries at 2000 pax each is better than a larger one with ONE itinerary...
Cheers
CG

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old January 24th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

An Asian/South Pacific cruise is so much more expensive than even a European cruise - plus the flight costs are greater. Since this type of cruise is so much costlier, I think a smaller ship would be more likely to sail this type of itinerary with a greater occupancy rate than the new larger ship.
Celebrity currently has the Century and the Constellation doing basically the same ports and the Millie and the Galaxy with the Century for part of the summer doing the Med with most of the same ports. For the Med cruises, most of the ports are the same on all the ships.
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Admiral

daysatsea,

An Asian/South Pacific cruise is so much more expensive than even a European cruise - plus the flight costs are greater. Since this type of cruise is so much costlier, I think a smaller ship would be more likely to sail this type of itinerary with a greater occupancy rate than the new larger ship.

Perhaps, but apparently there's a lot of demand for those itineraries. Princess Cruises now deploys either MV Diamond Princess or MV Saphhire Princess (both 113,000 GTT and over 2600 passenges at double occupancy) to the Pacific Rim and to Austrailai and New Zealand every winter.

Norm.
Old January 27th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to poetic license

I hate to see a new ship coming online that is not panamax. Bigger is not better, as far as I am concerned. I love CENTURY; it is my favorite ship, and just returned from a cruise on GALAXY. The size of these vessels is perfect. They are elegant without being hokey.

Their most beautiful ship is CONSTELLATION; she is just a stunner. But I didn't think bigger was better, though. Still love CENTURY overall, and am glad she is getting a facelift --- though I am ambivilent about having her 'stretched'.

Just my two cents.

Happy Sailing,

Costa Atlantica 3/03
Celebrity Century 11/03
HAL Oosterdam 3/04
Celebrity Century 11/04
MSC Opera 2/05
Celebrity Constellation 11/05
Celebrity GALAXY 1/06
NCL Norwegian Dream 2/06
Celebrity CENTURY 4/06
Celebrity Summit 9/06
Old January 28th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal7202
That's interesting. Currently, Celebrity's Millennium Class ships & Royal's Radiance Class ships just fit in the Panama Canal, anything wider wouldn't fit.
While true with respect to width, they could be both longer (there's still room left in the locks after you stuff in an M-Class ) and taller and still make the Canal without problem.
Old January 29th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Admiral

poetic license,

Still love CENTURY overall, and am glad she is getting a facelift --- though I am ambivilent about having her 'stretched'.

The company's plans for MV Century actually do not appear to be a stretch.

>> The specialty restaurant will occupy the starboard side of the main lobby at the bottom of the atrium, on the same level as the Guest Relations Desk.

>> The new suites and inside cabins will be in the current location of the basketball court. The basketball court will move up one level.

>> The new balconies will upgrade existing outside cabins (located on decks 8 and 9, IIRC).

There will be a small "ducktail" added to the stern to provide additional bouyancy for the added weight in that area of the ship, but the company is not cutting the ship in half to splice in a new midsection, as other lines have done.

Norm.