Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Beginner

Default Cabin Steward question

A friend of mine who was been on many cruises with Celebrity said that they bring their cabin steward a small gift and give it to him/her at the start of their cruise. Is this appropriate and "normal"?
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Admiral

I have heard of others who do this also. I, personnally, have never done it. I think the folks who do it think it will secure them better service. I've never really had bad service and I always tip more at the end of the cruise. If you do decide to take him/her a little gift, they might appreciate an international calling card to call home.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old January 15th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If you want to do it then go ahead but it is not "normal" nor is it expected to warrant good service. The best thing that you can give a cabin steward is money. They live in small quarters, they have little room for "stuff" and most sundry items they can acquire for a fraction of the cost that you can provide them.

I believe and have been told that a good tip and a hand written thank you is the best thing you can give them and the most appreciated.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 15th, 2006, 02:49 PM
First Mate

Aside from a generous tip & a smile, a good write up on the performance questionaire is usually very much appreciated. It helps them get better assignments etc.
Old January 16th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Two things you can do for your cabin steward--- be nice and polite to them, as you would have people do with you--- Give them the gift they really like---- money. It always fits, it's always the right color, they never have to take it back, it's good for males or females and etc., etc., etc.
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLou
I have heard of others who do this also. I, personnally, have never done it. I think the folks who do it think it will secure them better service. I've never really had bad service and I always tip more at the end of the cruise. If you do decide to take him/her a little gift, they might appreciate an international calling card to call home.
I think this is a very nice personal gesture. It won't get you any better service because they are already prepared to give you the best they have. Sometime it will stimulate a small unique gift in return.
If you like shopping just to shop. By them something on shore or ask if ther is anything they want from shore and can't get off the ship to purchase.
The calling card is a great idea and many people give the unused minutes to their cabin stewards.
By all means do not think that this gift would preclude a tip. It should indicate that if good service is given, that an above and beyony tip will be coming.
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Tip is nice. But....
Talk to them.
Ask them if there is something small on the one of the islands they would like. There are some items the crew may not bring back onboard.