Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Familiar Face

Default Galveston info?

My husband and I are cruising out of Galveston in April. We would like to spend a day or so there before the cruise, and I need some help figuring out how to get back and forth to Houston from the cruise port. We could rent a car, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to return the car in Galveston, is that right? Any advice you could give me would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Admiral

You could try http://www.galveston.com

Sorry if this is against TOS?

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Familiar Face

Greetings Nightnurse;

If you are flying into Hobby you can rent a car from Enterprise and return it in Galveston the day of your cruise and they will drive you to the pier. (at least they did us) I would think IAH would have an Enterprise outlet also. Upon return from the cruise they will bus you back to the Galveston office where you can pick up a car or you can buy ground transportation to Hobby for about $30. a person.
You will find a lot to do in Galveston. We took several cruises from there, the last April 2005 on Galaxy. We may do that one again this April. What cruise are you doing? We did Grand Princess, and Elation also and all three were great cruises.

Patrick
Old January 21st, 2006, 12:23 PM
Familiar Face

We are doing the Panama on April 13th. Thanks for the info! (What is Hobby?)
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Hi nightnurse,

Hobby is the other airport in Houston besides IAH. It's closer to Galveston by about 45 minutes to an hour (depending on Houston traffic).

We always drive, but Duke 42 is right, from the other posts I've read. I believe I've even seen the Enterprise office in Galveston.

Be sure to visit the Strand area while you are in Galveston. Also, "cruise" up and down Seawall Blvd.

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 22nd, 2006, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Nightnurse,

Fern is right. By way of amplification, Houston has two airports William P. Hobby Airport (HOU), located southeast of Houston's downtown, is the city's original commercial airport, but it's fairly small and completely surrounded by development. When hub operations by both Eastern Airlines (now defunct) and Continental Airlines pushed the limits of Hobby's capacity, the airport authority built Intercontinental Airport (IHA), subsequently renamed George Bush Intercontinental Airport in honor of our forty-first president, and coordinated with the airlines to move the hub operations there. Most major airlines still serve both airports from their major hubs, but Bush Intercontinetnal has more frequent service on most hub routes and nonstop service to most major cities on Continental Airlines by virtue of being a hub airport. As a result, Celebrity offers transfer services only to Bush Intercontinental Airport. If you are planning to take taxis or other private transportation between the airport and the pier, though, the fare from Hobby would be considerably less than from Bush Intercontinental because Hobby is much closer to Galveston.

I should also mention that Celebrity offers an excellent tour/transfer from the pier in Galveston to Bush Intercontinental Airport on disembarkation day. IIRC, your flight must leave Intercontinental no earlier than 4:00 PM if you want to book this tour.

Norm.
Old January 28th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Galveston info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnurse
My husband and I are cruising out of Galveston in April. We would like to spend a day or so there before the cruise, and I need some help figuring out how to get back and forth to Houston from the cruise port. We could rent a car, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to return the car in Galveston, is that right? Any advice you could give me would be appreciated!
Enterprise offers one-way drop service from IAH to Galveston. The drop fee is usually charged (but not always, from what I've heard) and is $40. However, the rates out of IAH per day are very reasonable. We spent a couple of extra days in Galveston ahead of our 12/5/05 departure.

The office is located at 5900 Broadway. It'll be on your right as you drive into town. The address would have you thinking it's on the north side of the road, but it's not. You'll pass it on your RIGHT as you drive into Galveston on I-45. When you return the car, you'll need to head back west on Broadway, turn back UNDER the start of the highway at 61st, and head back Broadway the other direction (east). No big deal, but if you look for it on the wrong side of the highway, you won't find it, even with its big sign!

On the whole, they prefer that you drop bags etc at the pier before showing up at the office (they then drive you back to the pier), but since 1/2 of our party was staying within a couple of blocks of their office, we convinced them to let us drive their guy to the pier and let him return by himself. Worked out fine.

BTW, you might want to consider the Galvez for your lodgings.
Old January 28th, 2006, 11:06 PM
First Mate

nightnurse..have you dropped by that "other cruise board" and checked on the 4-13-06 saling on the Galaxy?

As of today there were almost 60 folks signed up for the Celebrity Connections get together onboard.

By the way, on your way from the airport, consider a grat side trip to the Johnson Space Center! Not to be missed!
Old January 29th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Familiar Face

We are thinking about going by the Space Center. I haven't booked our flights yet but I guess it will depend on when we get into town. Still haven't decided whether to fly into IAH or Hobby. Does anyone know whether this cruise would take us over the Spring Break in the public schools in Texas? I know it will be over the Easter weekend. Just wondering if I should book flights sooner rather than later. And yes, we have signed up on the "other board" for the party....should be a god turn out!
Old January 31st, 2006, 02:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Hobby is the other smaller airport in the Houston area.
The main airport is to the north and east of the city.
Hobby is to the south and west of the city. A bit closer to the Galvaston.
Old February 1st, 2006, 03:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Does anyone know whether this cruise would take us over the Spring Break in the public schools in Texas? I know it will be over the Easter weekend.
Spring Break starts the weekend of March 11 and ends the next weekend.
Old February 1st, 2006, 03:57 PM
Familiar Face

Oh, good, thanks for the info!
Old February 1st, 2006, 08:23 PM
Admiral

nightnurse,

Still haven't decided whether to fly into IAH or Hobby.

All of Celebrity's transfers go to/from George Bush Intercontinetnal Airport (IAH). If you book flights into and out of William P. Hobby Airport (HOU), you will have to arrange your own transfers.

Celebrity had a very good tour of Galveston en route from the pier to the airport on the day of disembarkation that you can purchase at the shore excursion desk. The city's historic downtown has the largest collection of ironfront buildings int eh country, as well as some other significant buildings. Your flight has to leave George Bush Intercontintal Airport (IAH) no earlier than 4:00 PM, IIRC, if you want to do this tour.

Norm.
Old February 1st, 2006, 08:29 PM
Familiar Face

Okay, thanks. I have now booked our flights into IAH as this was the most direct from our nearest airport in Bellingham Wash. I would love to have done that tour of Galveston, but our flight leaves at 2:40 p.m. We will have a day there before- hand though so can look around and do some of the historical stuff then.