Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Passenger

Default packed lunches ?

Does anyone know if celebrity mercury will pack you up a lunch to take on shore in Mexico, for health reasons eating in the restaurants isnt advisable for me !!
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Deb....

I'm not familiar with such a concept.

But whats the big health concern? Mexico is not a third world country, anymore than Canada is.

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old January 26th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Passenger

Dave,
princess cruise lines will, if asked, pack you a lunch when going ashore, " The big deal " is that i have an intestinal disease which wasn't active when i booked but is now,, sooo, i have to be extremely careful with what i eat ( even in Canada ! ) or i will end up in hospital, ( Not in Mexico ,, thankyou ! ) And from what iv'e read on this website and others like it, Travellers tummy is almost a given,, IF one isn't careful!
Old January 26th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Admiral

JMHO - When someone asks a legitmate question, especially regarding health issues, I don't see any reason to question them!!! None of our business!

Deb...I hope the ship will work with you regarding your packed lunch. I know in many ports they announce you can't take food off and have seen them confiscating food from those who still try. Next time, don't feel you have to disclose personal information or defend your question, that's the reason it's called personal. Many of us have food health issues we must work with when cruising and that's why we come to these boards for info. Again, JMHO!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 26th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Admiral

deborah,

Does anyone know if celebrity mercury will pack you up a lunch to take on shore in Mexico, for health reasons eating in the restaurants isnt advisable for me !!

It's often not possible for the ship to pack lunches because most countries have strict inspection requirements for food coming into the country and they are not set up to carry out those inspections at the cruise terminals. If you are taking a Mexican Riviera cruise, though, you'll have a few other reasonable options if the ship cannot pack a lunch for you.

>> 1. You can eat something substantial right before going ashore and then eat again when you return aboard. On Celebrity ships, the buffet serves a late breakfast and the grill, the pasta and pizza bars, and the spa cafe are open all afternoon. (Most of the ports of call are small enough so this option is quite reasonable. Most passengers don't spend all day ashore.)

>> 2. If you are taking a shore excursion that includes lunch, the restaurant on the excursion will be safe.

>> 3. The tour desk has information on restaurants in each port of call.

>> 4. Either go to a restaurant at a resort that caters to foreign tourists or return to the ship for lunch. If you return to the ship, you will also have an opportunity to drop off any souvenirs purchased before lunch.

If you go ashore on your own and want to get something to eat or drink but you are not sure of the restaurant, there are three don'ts.

>> Don't eat or drink the water in any form -- including (1) the ice, (2) beverages reconstituted locally from concentrates or powders, and (3) anything made with water, like coffee and tea.

>> Don't eat off from dishes, drink from glasses and cups, or use flatware that were washed in the local water. This includes beverages in glass containers and sodas that have been packed in ice or ice water.

>> Don't wash your hands, face, etc., in the local water before eating.

Again, I doubt that you'll spend enough time ashore in any of the ports of call for any of this to be a real problem.

Norm.
Old January 26th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Passenger

Teresa,
Thanks for your imput and understanding,it was very much appreciated !!!

Norm,
Many thanks to you too, for all your great advice, especially the last two comments!, both are things i may have overlooked!
As the saying goes,, where there's a will, there's a way ! ( i feel better about eating already!!! )
Old January 27th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sorry Deb...

I've been arguing with people who think jeans are formal attire...and I forgot to count to ten.

My post which wasn't mean to be prying was only meant to say, nowadays food safety is about the same everywhere.

You might as likely have a bout on the ship with the ships food.

THis past year I had lunch at one of Seattles nicest and pretty expensive restaurants. I also got food poisoning. Who whould have thought?

Sorry you are about to venture out with a condition that is going to make you worry.

And again I apologize for being grumpy yesterday.

Peace

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Passenger

Apology accepted Dave, thankyou, !!
And for what it's worth, i agree with you about jeans NOT being formal wear , dressing up is half the fun !
Deb,
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Passenger

ps Dave,
I just noticed, you'll be boarding the Mercury, the day i get off ! If you see me, say hi ! ( i'll be the one with the big bottle of Imodium in my hand ! )
Deb,
Old January 27th, 2006, 01:43 PM
First Mate

I am diabetic & always take water, fruit & a snack off the ship for long excursions. (trips that offer food usually offer high carb) Next cruise I plan to bring some small plastic containers to make it a bit easier to pack & will also try room service to get something more substantial to take---. And not to start another digresson but IMHO Dave must not be that familiar with Mexico--it may not be third world but it is not USA/Canada in terms of hygienic regulations--esp the places I've been to! Anyone with any type of eating sensitivity must very cautious.....
Old January 27th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Passenger

Hcat,
Thanks for your imput, i guess i can only ask on the boat , to see if they will accomodate me, last resort is to eat alot at breakfast !
( bravo ! on the US/ Canada thing ! )
Deb,
Old January 29th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Deborah,

Many thanks to you too, for all your great advice, especially the last two comments!, both are things i may have overlooked!
As the saying goes,, where there's a will, there's a way ! ( i feel better about eating already!!! )

You are quite welcome.

BTW, there are resorts that cater to American tourists in all of the "Mexican Riviera" ports of call except Zihuatanejo, where the resorts are ten miles away in Ixtapa. Those resorts have purified water, which is safe to drink, throughout, and their restaurants generally have a mix of American and Mexican selections, so you can order familiar foods there as well.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.