Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Passenger

Default Motion sickness

Anyone got any advice on motion sickness. I've heard those wrist bands work well, something to do with magnetics ? But people on my last cruise all seemed to be using stickers behind there ears, which was also recommended ?
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

personally I think bonine is the best. Can be bought cheaply in any pharmacy. One tablet before you board, and one each day until you feel like you have your sea legs.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 29th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Deborah,

Anyone got any advice on motion sickness. I've heard those wrist bands work well, something to do with magnetics ? But people on my last cruise all seemed to be using stickers behind there ears, which was also recommended ?

On a cruise ship, the best advice for seasickness is not to worry -- or even think -- about it. Seasickness is a question of mind over matter (here resisting temptation to insert wisecrack to the effect that if you don't mind, then it doesn't matter...).

Seriously, most modern cruise ships displace over 75,000 tons, so it takes a LOT of force to throw them around, and they are long enough to apan the crests f several waves. They also have dynamic stabilizers that pretty well neutralize whatever motion the sea might otherwise induce. I have witnessed all kinds of acrobatic performances that require delicate balance that would have been utterly impossible -- and quite dangerous -- in the presence of any motion at all while at sea. You may feel an occasional rock from a freak wave, but you won't feel steady motion.

Norm.
Old January 30th, 2006, 12:19 AM
First Mate

Hi,Deborah,
Norm is right.
Best remedy for sea sickness : Don't think about it in the first place ( Sealegs medical advice # 101 )
2nd best: Ginger ale, ginger pills, ginger candies ( Ol' granny's medical advice # 202 )
3rd best; BONINE : every else's favourite

Take two of the above and have a great cruise.

Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old January 30th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Passenger

Thanks everyone for the good advice,,, i'd forgorron about ginger, my mom always swore by it when i was a kid!
Old January 30th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Deborah,

On a cruise ship, the best advice for seasickness is not to worry -- or even think -- about it. Seasickness is a question of mind over matter (here resisting temptation to insert wisecrack to the effect that if you don't mind, then it doesn't matter...).

Seriously, most modern cruise ships displace over 75,000 tons, so it takes a LOT of force to throw them around, and they are long enough to apan the crests f several waves. They also have dynamic stabilizers that pretty well neutralize whatever motion the sea might otherwise induce. I have witnessed all kinds of acrobatic performances that require delicate balance that would have been utterly impossible -- and quite dangerous -- in the presence of any motion at all while at sea. You may feel an occasional rock from a freak wave, but you won't feel steady motion.

Norm.

Motion Sickness,
Bonine, Meclizine, Dramamine are pills that can be taken either prophylactic ally or therapeutically in more frequent doses.

Some people get drowsy with the above medicines as well as the patch.
The “Patch�- is called Transderm Scope and is a slow release of medication like scopolamine. On should put this on about 24 hrs before sailing. You should be careful with this medicine when applying it because if you get medicine on your fingers and rub your eyes it will dilate your pupil.
My wife uses Transderm scope and it last about 3 days (insert may say it last 7 days). I think it is the best if you really need medicine, but as was said psychological effects are also a factor and is why the magnets work. I think the best to use is Transderm Scope as long as you don’t have any side effects from the medicine. Don’t want the treatment to be worse than the disease.

I once got sea sick on a fishing trip with symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea, but never really felt nauseated. I thought one had to get nauseated to be seasick. So much for being taught by an old navy man that said I was seasick.
For cruises I don’t take anything and don’t plan on getting seasick. If I do, I would take a Bonine, Meclizine or Dramamine and go to bed and try to sleep.
On one cruise we gave a friend the patch, but he developed symptoms that I thought were related to the patch, so he took it off and got better.
Nothing is without potential complications. If you use the magnet and get sick, it is because you were going to get sick anyhow.
If you feel woozy, go out on deck and let the air blow in your face. Sometimes that cures many things.
Old February 1st, 2006, 01:52 PM
Passenger

Default Motion Sickness

To say that seasickness is a question of 'mind over matter' is insulting to those of us who suffer from its effects. I have been on cruises with 20+ foot waves where half of the crew was sick, let alone the passengers. And this was in fact on modern vessels with stabilizers. Once the waves get over 10 feet (not all that uncommon) you can guarantee that you will feel the rocking motion. If it doesn't bother you, consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

That said, it is true that obsessing about it makes it worse. A number of remedies do help - the Transderm patch, Bonine or Dramamine II, regular Dramanine (although it will make you sleepy), and ginger (which has been found in studies to work on some people but not others - I am fortunate to be one of the former). Limit your alcohol, eat several light meals with starchy foods (an empty stomach makes it worse), try to stay mid-ship, and get out on the open deck where you can feel the breeze and see the horizon.
Old February 1st, 2006, 08:59 PM
Passenger

What a helpful person you are !!!
Thanks for your help, i'm sure it will come in useful,
I've never thought of motion sickness as mind over matter, I never gave it a second thought on the grand princess, she's such a large ship i didnt think for a minute about sea sickness, but both my daughter and i felt ill for a while !]
thanks again,
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:37 PM
Passenger

I never dreamed I would get seasick on a large cruise ship, but by my 2nd day, I decided I needed something for my queasiness. I bought the bracelets onboard and they took away the queasiness until I got my 'sea legs'. No worrying about drowsiness or side effects. I did see lots of ppl wearing the patches behind their ears.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

True seasickness (motion sickness) is real. If you are on the ocean long enough you will be seasick at some point and when you are you may think that death could be an alternative. Usually a walk out on deck and looking at the horizon for a while and getting some fresh air and a light snack will help relieve the feeling. Many times people confuse the rich food and a bit of overeating with being seasick.

The patch: "scopolomine" must be prescribed by a physician and can cause side effects, like any medication. Bonine, "meclizine", while being a non-drowsy form of motion sickness, over the counter medication may also have side effects on some people. Dramamine causes drowsiness in many people.

The wrist bands while they have never been proved, in any blind studies, to have an effect on preventing motion sickness are endorsed by many people and that can be as good as any medicinal effect of any drug.

Ginger is the only food or herbal remedy that has been proved by a blind study to have a positive effect on motion sickness.

It is also recommended that you take a dose of motion sickness medication before your cruise to see if it has a negative or sedative effect on you. It's better to find out if it puts you to sleep while you are at home then while you are on vacation.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Deborah,

I've never thought of motion sickness as mind over matter, I never gave it a second thought on the grand princess, she's such a large ship i didnt think for a minute about sea sickness, but both my daughter and i felt ill for a while !]

In fairness, I have seen some instances in which people confuse other illness for seasickness. Being sick is miserable, but it's unfair to blame normal illness on the sea. You can tell real seasickness because it has two stages.

>> In the first stage, one is terrified that one is going to die.

>> In the second stage, one is terriried that one might actually survive!

If you did not get to the second stage, it probably was not seasickness.

Norm.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Sea sickness if VERY real and has to do with the fluid sloshing around inside your inner ear. Some people have a more "correct" balance of the fluids in their inner ears and slight amount of fluid outside. If the balance gets off at all, or if they "slosh" too much - seasickness.

Funny this topic came up - I was at my ENT yesterday and just out of curiousity asked what she thought about seasickness. I got her explanation above, as well as a LOOOONG one about how your eyes play tricks on your inner ear, etc. etc.

My advise to anyone is to take along some Bonine (it won't make you sleepy) just in case. My son has taken it on every cruise. Apparently I am not prone to much "sloshing" since I've been in 30 ft waves and not sick.

However, on my last cruise, I didn't eat lunch, let my stomach get REALLY empty, so that by dinnertime (and before I had my sealegs) I started feeling queasy. A dose of Bonine did the trick.

Going to bed is the LAST thing you should do! Go up on deck, breathe a little fresh air, stare at the horizon (a bit of land is even better) and pop a Bonine! Accompany it with a little ginger ale and you'll be better in no time!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:25 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone for all your helpful hints. I'll definately cover most of these ideas. No doubt an empty or too full a stomach would play a big part in feeling ill !!! 8)
Old February 3rd, 2006, 09:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel
Default Re: Motion sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahb
Deb,
You have gotten a very good discussion of motion sickness. Regarding the psychological relationship problem. It seems that it is a correct assumption that this as an etiology is only made by those that are not or have not been seasick.
Always remember that medications affect different people different ways, and just because I can take just about anything without side effects, doesn't mean that others can also.
Before I believe in a medication, I have to know the physiology of how it works. It has to make common sense, not just be a testimonial. I have some understanding of the human body and it's workings, but it is so complicated that things can occur that we aren't even aware of physiologically. The testimonials may be related to the physiological body workings that are not known at this time.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 09:58 AM
Passenger

JR,
wise words, i thankyou .