Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:34 AM
Beginner

Default Shareholder benefits

Hello,
I have been searching on this board for current shareholder on board ship credit benefits.
Can someone please post current information, if it is still available?
Thanks so much.
Canada1
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel
Default Re: Shareholder benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada1
Hello,
I have been searching on this board for current shareholder on board ship credit benefits.
Thanks so much.
Canada1
As I understand it if you own 100 shares of RCI stock there is a shipboard credit that you can get. I never did buy the stock since it was around $40 at the time. Wish I had bought it sooner, like right after 9/11.
You might try RCI web site and lookd for the application blank. You have to fill that in and get it mailed for a significant time before your cruise.
have your TA help.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:11 PM
Passenger

Go to the RCCL home page. At the very bottom left hand corner is the RCCL logo with "Our Company" beside it. Click on that. Then, on the far right hand side of the page is a tab that says "Investor Relations", select that tab. Which brings you to a page with one paragraph on it, but at the end of that paragraph it again says "Investor Relations", click on it again. Then select "Shareholder Discount".

Or, just follow this link: http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...nefit_2005.pdf
Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Red
Go to the RCCL home page. At the very bottom left hand corner is the RCCL logo with "Our Company" beside it. Click on that. Then, on the far right hand side of the page is a tab that says "Investor Relations", select that tab. Which brings you to a page with one paragraph on it, but at the end of that paragraph it again says "Investor Relations", click on it again. Then select "Shareholder Discount".

Or, just follow this link: http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...nefit_2005.pdf
Hey Little Red;
Nice going!!!
Old February 3rd, 2006, 07:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RCI Stock

This is a great perk: hope they vote to continue it.

We purchased our 100 shares some time ago at $36 and my stockbroker thought that was high at the time and advised against it. However, I've used it may times with benefits ranging from $100 to $250 (most of our cruises are in the 14 day range so we really appreciate the $250 on board credits!).

The fact that the credits are good for both cruise lines is a huge plus. While we normally take longer cruises on Celebrity, we take one shorter cruise each December on RCI and the benefit is really appreciated.

I estimate we've probably received about $1000 to date in tax free on-board credits since we've owned the stock.

And it stock pays dividends.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Canada1,

Thanks so much.

The information is ivnestor web site (http://www.rclinvestor.com) of the parent company, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL). The current shareholder benefit (http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...nefit_2005.pdf is a shipboard credit that ranges from $50 to $250 depending upon the length of each cruise. It's fully combinable with all other offers and reusable on as many cruises as you book before its expiration. The benefit extends to all holders of at least one hundred (100) shares. The form specifies the information that you need to submit and the address to which to send it to receive the credit. There's also a page of answers (http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...cl/RCL_FAQ.pdf) to "frequently asked questions" (FAQ) about the benefit on the ivnestor site.

Norm.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 08:08 PM
Beginner

Default Thanks for the replies!

They have been swift!

I now have the information...but I have one other question!

We are scheduled to take a cruise Mar 26 (Century). Would we still have time to purchase the shares, to avail of the benefits for this cruise??

Thanks again!
Canada1
Old February 3rd, 2006, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Canada1,

They have been swift!

Only if you post when we're actively checking messages. If not, it may be a couple days.

We are scheduled to take a cruise Mar 26 (Century). Would we still have time to purchase the shares, to avail of the benefits for this cruise??

Yes, it should be no problem, but you will need to move fairly quickly because you will need to submit

>> 1. If you don't have a brokerage account yet, open one. I have found Charles Schwab (http://www.schwab.com) to be reputable, vary reasonably priced for on-line trades, and very helpful. They also have local offices where you can deal with a real human being if you need assistance. You can open an account on line, but you will need to send or deliver a check to fund the account.

>> 2. Once you have an account with sufficient funds, place your "buy" order on line -- commissions will be much higher if you place it through a broker. The trade will take three business days to settle. It's best to use a "limit" order with a threshold slightly above the current share price to protect yourself against a sudden jump in the price of the stock.

>> 3. The shares should appear on your first statement, issued at the end of the month. Send a copy of the page of the statement showing your name and the shares in the account with the required information for the shipboard credit as soon as you receive the statement.

Happy cruising!

Norm.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 09:59 PM
Beginner

We are from Canada...(obviously...hence sign in name Canada1...duh!) so not sure if that changes anything.
We already have an on line brokerage account, so can just add this stock to our portfolio. I was just wondering the time line between purchasing / getting the statement info that could be faxed in.
Us Cannucks are not disqualified, for any reason, are we??

Thanks again!
Canada1
Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Canada1,

We are from Canada...(obviously...hence sign in name Canada1...duh!) so not sure if that changes anything.

It does not change anything fundamental. The only additional complication would be that you would need to submit some additional paperwork (form W-8B and perhaps another form) as "foreign" investors if you open a brokerage account here in the States but the process is basically the same.

We already have an on line brokerage account, so can just add this stock to our portfolio. I was just wondering the time line between purchasing / getting the statement info that could be faxed in.

Good. Your earlier question led me to suspect that you might not be an experienced investor so I decided to cover all of the bases, but the information might be beneficial to another reader in any case.

If you have a Canadian brokerage account, you'll have to adjust the price for the difference in currencies and you may have to go through your broker's foreign trading desk to place trades on the New York Stock Exchange, which means paying regular commissions rather than on-line commissions. If it's only an occasional transaction, though, the difference in commissions won't kill you so it won't be worth opening a U. S. account. In fact, you probably can make back the difference simply by booking a couple cruises while the offer remains in effect.

Most brokers send statements at the end of the calendar month, so you should receive your statement in time to submit the paperwork for the discount. If you buy the shares on Monday, you'll be covered if the timing of your statement is any different.

BTW, the parent company has offered the shareholder benefit for three or four years now, so it's reasonable to expect that the compnay will renew it again even though there's no formal announcement yet. The offer clearly has brought a lot of new investors with a genuine interest in the company and the cruise industry to the company, and that alone makes it worthwhile.

Us Cannucks are not disqualified, for any reason, are we??

I am not aware of anything that would disqualify you, but read both links pertaining to the shareholder discount in my earlier reply carefully to be sure.

Norm.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

As far as I know you just have to be a stockholder. The form says nothing about countries.

Today the RCL stock closed at $44.30 USD. The shares have gone as high as $54 - $55 but settles in the 40's.

The cruise must be booked prior to May 1,2006.
Statement or proxy card is requested (copy), they may except your proof of purchase sometimes known as a blue slip.

I Fed Ex mine to the actual address on the form not the PO Box to have a paper trail. Fed Ex does not deliver to a PO Box.

The last one I sent got an e-mail back from Celebrity. Your TA will also show that credit under your confirmation number once processed.

Old February 4th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Fax/Scan

I have had great good luck by simply scanning my proof of continued ownership and e-mailing to the address on the web site with the additional info they request.

I've received a confirming e-mail within 24 hours in most cases confirming that the appropriate $$ amount has been added to my reservation no. and will appear on my onboard account.

I always have TA double check prior to departure - and so far the credits have all been in place.

Also have not had any problems redeeming my Captain's Club Visa credits in a timely manner.
Old February 5th, 2006, 01:54 PM
First Mate

Hi,Canada1

We have a TD PriceWaterhouse brokerage a/c, both in C$ and US$.
Bought RCCL stock on line, at end of month, got my statement including the certification of ### shares held in yYy company(ies). Faxed the thing to RCI in Miami ( 27december ) and confirmed on 28Dec the US$250 is ALREADY on my file. We had booked the cruise late Nov'04 , date of saili g 02April'06 on INFINITY.....it was that simple !!!
Already got the December dividend; will obviously get the March one...and we'll see after the cruise if stock has risen to the high 40's...will probably sell it ....2 dividends ++ US$250.00 SBC on an approx $US46xx.xx investment....not a bad return at all.(bought the stock 11/05)
If the stock has not risen back to the high 40's, we'll simply keep it, continue collecting dividends....and since we're booking a Europe cruise for summer '07, we'll just hang on...and get another SBC.

It is a good program,Canada1. Don't worry about yout timing. If you buy within 1-2 weeks, you're OK.

Happy sailings
Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old February 5th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Admiral

The RCCL Corp continues to renew the incentive each year, seems to work for them.

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Vancouver _ Alaska _ Los Angeles, Sept 16, 2006 on Summit

Panama Canal on the Coral Princess.

Old February 5th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Admiral

sealegs,

Already got the December dividend; will obviously get the March one...and we'll see after the cruise if stock has risen to the high 40's...will probably sell it ....2 dividends ++ US$250.00 SBC on an approx $US46xx.xx investment....not a bad return at all.(bought the stock 11/05)
If the stock has not risen back to the high 40's, we'll simply keep it, continue collecting dividends....and since we're booking a Europe cruise for summer '07, we'll just hang on...and get another SBC.

As I see it, there's no point in rushing to sell. The company has renewed the shareholder benefit since it first introduced it three or four years ago. Since you get the credit for every cruise that you take on each of the comany's lines, it can produce a phenomenal return if you take two or three cruises per year. The company also raises its dividends from time to time to keep pace with the price of the shares. The quareterly dividend was $0.11 per share when I bought my first shares, and just recently went from $0.13 per share to $0.15 per share.

The current price, undoubtedly driven by a combination of fears of low profits due to high fuel prices (the company is reporting record profits in spite of those high fuel prices) and fears of liability fueled by distortions in the mainsream media surrounding the disappearance of a passenger from one of the company's ships a couple months ago (the actual liability appears to be nil), represents a fantastic buying opportunity. I'm not buying more shares right now, but only because the unrealized capital gains on the shares that I purchased in the range of $14 per share about three years ago have already overweighted this position in my portfolio. Note, however, that I am not selling any of those shares because I see significant upward potential.

BTW, be sure to book your future cruises aboard your next cruse to get maximum benefits. The shareholder benefit is fully combinable with all other offers, including the onboard booking credit and the Captain's Club or Crown and Anchor benefits to which you might be entitled.

Norm.
Old February 5th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Norm has good advice. We bought the shares a number of years ago and have benefited in stock holders credit as well as an upward trend in pricing. Between the two we have gotten more than a substantial return.

Ship board credit with stock holders is completely tax free and no brokerage fees. The past cruises with Celebrity and RCL we have received over $1000 in credits.

Would I buy the stock today just for the credits, probably not unless cruises taken in the future would offset any losses with ship board credits. That is the gamble taken.

I researched the stock for the portfolio prior to buying for long term investment, liked what I saw and it has paid off. Will I sell it off .. NO, not unless I can take a write off for tax loss when it dips lower than what I paid. So far it is a keeper.

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Vancouver _ Alaska _ Los Angeles, Sept 16, 2006 on Summit

Panama Canal on the Coral Princess.

Old February 5th, 2006, 11:59 PM
First Mate

Hi, Norm
Thanks for comments.
Could'nt agree more. If we are still set on a Europe '07 project, this becomes a no-brainer:: we just keep the stock !!
If we're somewhat fuzzy about our plans for '07, then we'll capitalize the investment once the stock hits $US48.00++;; historically, it has had two good peaks a year for the last 12 on the NYSE, and one of those is late spring.
Dividends might reach $ 0.16 this time, as the EPS were not only very good, but ahead of what analysts had targetted.

Your capital gain position is indeed a bit touchy....It's a '' nice '' problem to have....but a problem none the less.

Happy sailings
Cheers
Claude G

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Sealegs,

Thanks for comments.

You're welcome!

Could'nt agree more. If we are still set on a Europe '07 project, this becomes a no-brainer:: we just keep the stock !!
If we're somewhat fuzzy about our plans for '07, then we'll capitalize the investment once the stock hits $US48.00++;; historically, it has had two good peaks a year for the last 12 on the NYSE, and one of those is late spring.

Have you noticed the new capacity that the company has coming on line?

>> Three (3) ships of the Freedom of the Seas class (3600 passengers) for Royal Caribbean Interantional in May 2006, in spring 2007, and "early in 2008"

>> One (1) unnamed ship (2850 passengers) of a new class for Celebrity Cruises in Fall 2008, with an option for a sister vessel (in 2009?)

>> One (1) unnamed "Project Genesis" ship (5400 passengers) for Royal Caribbean International, wiht an option for a sister vessel (in 2010?)

This sets the stage for phenomenal growth in earnings over the next 4-5 years!

Dividends might reach $ 0.16 this time, as the EPS were not only very good, but ahead of what analysts had targetted.

I'm especting much higher in 3-4 years, espeically after today's news!

Your capital gain position is indeed a bit touchy....It's a '' nice '' problem to have....but a problem none the less.

It's not the only stock that has produced that sort of problem for me, but I reallyhope that my growth stocks continue to produce that kind of problem!

Norm.
Old February 7th, 2006, 01:45 PM
First Mate

Good morning, Norm

Valid points on the capacity growth. However, I'm concerned by the dreaded MS words....;'' marketing saturation''....
The performance curves of 'tonnage' and 'sales' will, at some point, stop walking side by side on the charts...and, eithere RCCL has a sound retirement plan for its fleets or it will be unpleasantly surprised when the growth peak hits the deck.
I trust the big wigs in Miami are in sink with a solid plan to keep in tune with the pulse rate exhibited in the market place.
IMO, population growth is below 5%,;; the water mass isn't going anywhere,;; the cruise industry products appeal, while still strong, can only reach so far,;; overall world economies are not exactly healthy;;....you se what I mean, specially with blending all of that with the huge capacity growth currently on stream.

Hey, still a good stock, though !!

Cheers
CG

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Admiral

CG,

Valid points on the capacity growth. However, I'm concerned by the dreaded MS words....;'' marketing saturation''....
The performance curves of 'tonnage' and 'sales' will, at some point, stop walking side by side on the charts...and, eithere RCCL has a sound retirement plan for its fleets or it will be unpleasantly surprised when the growth peak hits the deck.

That's a valid concern, but the scenario that you describe is still several years out. The present market penetration of the cruise industry is still less than 10%. Mathematically, if a market grows by customers who know about a new product telling potential customers who don't know, the rate of growth must be governed by the equation

dp/dt=Rp(1-p)

where p is the fraction of penetration of the potential market, t is elapsed time, and R is a rate constant that incorporates the rate at which customers and potential customers randomly meet, the probability that a potential customer actually decides to buy (and thus become an actual customer), and the time lag from decision to actual purchase. Integration of this function yields a rather messy expression that's asymtotic to p=0 when t goes to negative infinity and to p=1 (or 100%) when t goes to positive infinity with a slope symmetric about the time where p=1/2. The function goes from 10% to 90% market penetration in about the same time that it goes from 1% to 10% market penetration. Alas, the cruise industry is not even close to 10% market penetration in North America -- its most developed market -- yet in spite of thirty years of massive expansion! Thus, there's still a lot of good growth ahead. (BTW, the functional form is somewhat idealized in that it neglects possible hiccups due to events like the "9/11" attack and other factors that may affect rates of growth in the short term. These factors tend to average out and thus are not significant for long term investors, though.)

I trust the big wigs in Miami are in sink with a solid plan to keep in tune with the pulse rate exhibited in the market place.

Yes -- which obviously explains "Project Genesis" and the massive growth in capacity that it will bring.

IMO, population growth is below 5%...

Yes, and that factor will limit growth when the industry approaches the saturation threshold in perhaps forty or fifty years.

... overall world economies are not exactly healthy...

The major media is painting a much worse picture than the reality right now, apparently to advance their political agenda. In reality, though, (1) many people who can afford to take cruises are relatively immune to the impact of economic conditions and (2) those who are impacted actually are likely to take a cruise rather than a more expensive vacation, such as a stay at a resort, when times are tough. Note what happened to the North American cruise industry when the U. S. economy "tanked" in the wake of the "9/11" attack -- yields dropped slightly but the major cruise lines remained quite profitable and occupancies remained over 100%.

Your stock, your decision!

Norm.
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:18 PM
First Mate

Good evening, Norm,

Thanks so much for your involved and evidently well educated opinions.
Nothing wrong with the stock, of course.
The reaction quite a few people have had already, and will continue to have when looking at '' Genesis '' ( and ''Pinnacle'') is a natural short-term ''wow''-driven one.....Until the Norms of this world give us the more calculated,cool and calm perpspective.
I'm perhaps not as optimistic as you are as regards the lenght of time it will take to reach '' market saturation'' but you do have a very good point.
Cheers
CG
8)

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Admiral

sealegs,

Thanks so much for your involved and evidently well educated opinions.

You're welcome. I hope that they are helpful.

[/i[Nothing wrong with the stock, of course.[/i]

No. In fact, there's a lot that's RIGHT with this one!

The reaction quite a few people have had already, and will continue to have when looking at '' Genesis '' ( and ''Pinnacle'') is a natural short-term ''wow''-driven one.....Until the Norms of this world give us the more calculated,cool and calm perpspective.

As a stockholder, the "calculated, cool, and calm perspective" actually makes the "Wow!" even stronger, at least in this case!

I'm perhaps not as optimistic as you are as regards the lenght of time it will take to reach '' market saturation'' but you do have a very good point.

Okay, suppose that my estimate of forty to fifty years to reach market saturation is out by a decade or two. How does that affect investment strategy this year?

Norm.