Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Passenger

Default I'm 22...will I enjoy this as much as my mother?

Hello! I have a quick (if not somewhat ignorant) question to ask all of you cruise veterans, if I may..

This will be my first cruise, and I'm a little apprehensive about the level of enjoyment that someone my age might have on a ship like the Zenith. I'm am 22 years old, and my mother is 54. We will be on this excursion together near the end of March, and I was just wondering if it would be something that the two of us, with such a difference in age, will be able to simultaneously enjoy ourselves.

If anyone under 30 (or older, who has taken their early-20's children along) has been in a similar situation, please share your experiences! Thank you!

Jen
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Passenger

There is no doubt in my mind that both of you will have fun. There are going to be things for her to do and things for you. There will definetly be people who are around your age on the cruise. That is spring break time so a lot of young people will be there.
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Admiral

Jen,

This will be my first cruise, and I'm a little apprehensive about the level of enjoyment that someone my age might have on a ship like the Zenith. I'm am 22 years old, and my mother is 54. We will be on this excursion together near the end of March, and I was just wondering if it would be something that the two of us, with such a difference in age, will be able to simultaneously enjoy ourselves.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why you can't enjoy yourself on a cruise. The one recommendation that I have is to unglue yourself from your mother and do what you want -- and make sure that your mother understands, in advance, that this is what you intend to do so that she is not disappointed by the fact that you are not constantly at her side. If you want to do what your mother is doing, it's fine to do it together, but it's also okay to do different things and compare notes at the end of the day. The big "do," though, is to make sure that you eat dinner with your mother every night so that you and she have some time to compare notes. You can eat breakfast and lunch together or not, deepnding how your days play out.

You probably also should plan to go to the shows with your mother in the evenings, so that she won't have to go to the shows alone. Most of Celebrity's shows are very good, and you probably wiill enjoy them.

There will be plenty of activities aboard the ship that you will enjoy and there will be at least one gathering for single adults on the first or second night of the cruise. If you are a "party" person, the ship also has a disco. Finally, look for activities that will draw other passengers your age because there probably will be some other young adults abosrd. It will be a lot more fun if you meet some of them and "party" together after the show!

Norm.
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:56 PM
First Mate

We were 50 in 2003 when we took along our daughter and son-in-law aged 24 on the Century. It was their first cruise. They had an awesome time and would love to go again. Having said that, you won't be with a partner but with your mom. There are many exciting things to do and enjoy together in port, or search excursions that would appeal to you solo(ie. with a group of younger adventurous types). Although there are generally not a large number of young people on most ships, if you arrive with a good attitude it is really difficult to have a lousy time on a cruise. Your first cruise, especially, is awesome and unforgettable and you're starting with a good line, albeit not their grandest ship. Discuss beforehand how much 'togetherness' you expect on the cruise or whether you will spend some time each day with new friends. Incidentally, they seated us at a table for 10...8 in their early 20's and us! After the initial feeling of wierdness, we actually had a very good time with them. Enjoy the opportunity and have a great time with your mom.
Old February 9th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Admiral

If you give us a hint as to your likes or dislikes, you might be steered towards certain things you can do which will make your trip enjoyable. If you like water sports do some snorkeling, take advantage of the on-board activities. Also, get a nice picture taken of you and your mother especially for her sake.
Old February 12th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Passenger

My first cruise was at the age of 16, during the 80's. My next cruise will be my 7th. Need I say more? Keep an open mind, and get involved with some activities. You'll enjoy yourself, even if you don't try hard.

Voyager of the Seas March 2000
Adventure of the Seas March 2002
Navigator of the Seas March 2003
Serenade of the Seas March 2004
Enchantment of the Seas January 2006
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

My 21 and 22 year old's go with Mom and have a great time.
They take the tunes, get a nice place in the sun.
Relax and enjoy.
Old February 20th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Passenger

Hi Jen,

Which sailing are you on, the 25th?
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Passenger

Zenith, Browezilla
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:33 PM
Passenger

My wife and I just returned from our trip aboard the Zenith, February 6th - 11th. I have posted our trip review under reviews for Zenith.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:54 PM
First Mate

try the spa--something you can both enjoy....not sure Zenith is known as a party ship but if its at spring break time there will be cruisers of all ages onboard...always something to do even if it's just to relax!
Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel
Default Re: I'm 22...will I enjoy this as much as my mother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenl3rowning
Hello! I have a quick (if not somewhat ignorant) question to ask all of you cruise veterans, if I may..

If anyone under 30 (or older, who has taken their early-20's children along) has been in a similar situation, please share your experiences! Thank you!

Jen
Jen,
Suggest you request a dining table for 8 to 10 and may meet other people. On celebrity you will have alternative dining, speciality restaurants. People are usually firendly on cruises and everyone is always anxious for everyone else to have a good tim.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:01 PM
Beginner

Default Here is the thing

I am 27 and just sailed Zenith in December with my gf, my buddy and his wife. Zenith is not a fun ship to begin with for anybody under 70. So, here is my advice, try and locate other singles on board to pal around with. Or, catch up on your sunbathing.