Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Default Celebrity orders second new ship Solstice series

Celebrity announced order of second new ship.

Celebrity Cruises Orders Second Ship in New Solstice Class

MIAMI, Feb. 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Celebrity Cruises has exercised its option to order a second 118,000 gross-registered-ton ship today, reaffirming its commitment to innovative products and high guest satisfaction. German shipbuilder Meyer Werft will build the new tonnage, with delivery of the first ship planned for Fall 2008 and the second ship in Summer 2009. Celebrity also announced names of both new ships.

The first new ship will be called Celebrity Solstice, and the second ship will be named Celebrity Equinox. The new series of ships will be known as the Solstice class. Terms for the second Solstice-class vessel are substantially the same as those of the first ship.

Both new ships will be 2,850-guest vessels measuring 1,033 feet in length and 121 feet in width. Their added size will allow Celebrity to offer larger standard staterooms, a higher percentage of balconies and an exceptional range of guest-inspired services and amenities.

"The Solstice-class ships accelerate the tremendous growth and excitement that continues to build with this brand," said Richard D. Fain, chairman and CEO of parent company Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. "We owe a lot of our inspiration to guests and travel partners, and we think they will be enormously pleased with this collaboration. We also thank our shipbuilding partner, Meyer Werft, for working with us to produce so many of our beautiful ships."

"Meyer Werft is proud to be a part of Celebrity Cruises' continued growth," said Meyer Werft Managing Partner Bernard Meyer. "These new ships demonstrate Celebrity's tradition of breakthrough design and leading innovations."

Celebrity Cruises offers comfortably sophisticated, upscale cruise experiences with highly personalized service, authentic five-star dining, and extraordinary attention to detail. Its nine ships and their service, cuisine and spas consistently dominate top travelers' surveys. Celebrity sails in Alaska, Bermuda, California, the Caribbean, Europe, the Galapagos Islands, Hawaii, the Mexican Riviera, the Panama Canal and South America. For more information, call your travel agent ***edited by moderators***
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Admiral

I plan to try this new class. Can't wait for it!
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

We might try the new ships, but then agian I see no need to go larger and add more passengers.
As other posts indicate the actual space per passenger will go down instead of up. Thats not a win for us passengers.

This situation reminds me of Princess adding the larger ships and packing more and more people on them.
Granted it won't be as bad as some of there new ships, but not everyone feels bigger is better.
I think the German line Adia has the right idea by adding two new ships in the 60,000 ton range.
Maybe I need to sharpen up on my German speaking skills.?
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Passenger

I'm a huge fan of Celebrity's 93,000 ton class ships...I think they are the perfect size. I'm excited about trying the new class because they won't be all that much bigger...not like the crazy 150,000 and 200,000 ton things coming out from other lines...and it's always fun to experience something new. I just can't imagine a ship with 5000 people, though. Celebrity usually does things right...I have high hopes for the new ships.

All Aboard:
* Celebrity Infinity, San Francisco to Ft. Lauderdale, October 3, 2008
* Celebrity Solstice, Ft. Lauderdale to Caribbean, March 1, 2009

All Ashore:
* Celebrity Galaxy, September 2007
* Celebrity Infinity, May 2007
* Celebrity Century, November 2006
* Celebrity Galaxy, February 2006
* Celebrity Infinity, December 2005
* Celebrity Summit, November 2004
* Celebrity Infinity, November 2003
* Celebrity Zenith, May 2000
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

It is larger than Celebrity's other ships and having the second in the series announced shows their commitment to this class of ships. I will sail them at some time.

I also glad that Celebrity is making an effort in coming up with somewhat original names for their ships. If there is one more Freedom or Liberty I may have had a fit. I like the names, now I just have to like the ships.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM
Passenger

Here here Cookie!!! You are so right about going larger is not good. I think the 93,000 ton ships are large enough. I have NO interest in sailing around on a ship with 5,000 or even 3,000 other people. If I want to be around that many people, I can visit Las Vegas.

They did a nice job with the names.
Old February 21st, 2006, 01:55 PM
First Mate

These will be too wide for the Panama Canal as it is now constructed. Good route to take to avoid these big ships!
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Guess this ship will move about - maybe Europe and the like.
What I seem to miss is that no Cruise line goes Trans canal - back and forth.
I guess it is the cost involved and timing to get from the Atlantic to the Pacific and into a good transfer port.
Old February 25th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Admiral

longboysfan,

What I seem to miss is that no Cruise line goes Trans canal - back and forth.
I guess it is the cost involved and timing to get from the Atlantic to the Pacific and into a good transfer port.

MV Infinity and MV Summit offer several cruises from Port Everglades to either San Diego or Los Angeles, with a full transit of the Canal, or vice versa every fall/winter season.

Norm.