Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Passenger

Default When will Celebrity offer NEW cruise routes?

The routes have been the same for 2004.2005.2006 and it seems they will remain the same for 2007.

How can they hope to go on attracting repeat cruisers when all they offer is the same old same 'o

Tried booking a cruise with Princess yesterday, not only is it fully sold out 13 months in advance but there is a waiting list of ver 400.

What a chance for Celebrity! Alas it would mean going to a new route and for longer than 12 days, so they will not be interested.
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:03 PM
First Mate

do you know of anything being offered past april 07? I don't mind the same routes but would like the ships to change places from time to time...-I am hoping Century will do something diff--maybe Turks & Caicos-
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Evelyn,

The routes have been the same for 2004.2005.2006 and it seems they will remain the same for 2007.

Celebrity has not announed routes for 2007 yet, but I did hear somewhere that the line is looking into deploy one ship to the Far East and Australia/New Zealand for the winter season. I don't know whether that will happen in the 2007/2008 winter season or whether it will be further out. Celebrity also introduced several new routes in Northern Europe and in the Mediterranean this year, coincident with an extension of the season there, though the new routes offer only one or two sailing dates.

How can they hope to go on attracting repeat cruisers when all they offer is the same old same 'o

Honestly -- have you taken a cruise on every itinerary that Celebrity offers?

And are there no ports of call anywhere in the world that you would like to visit again?

>> Most European ports of call are so rich in history, art, architecture, and culture that I hope to visit them several times.

>> I also find that tropical ports, that offer great beaches and watersports are very repeatable.

I'm not persuaded that repeating an itinerary is a problem for most cruise passengers.

Norm.
Old March 9th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
I'm not persuaded that repeating an itinerary is a problem for most cruise passengers.
I must say that I too am tiring of the Caribbean routes the mega (70+K Tons) ships are taking, especially the Eastern and Western Routes. I'd love to see more of the smaller islands...and bring back Martinique, Guadeloupe, and Grenada. Seems that many of the lines have reduced or eliminated their sailings there. Also St. Kitts, St. Barts, Saba, Nevis, etc. I know X goes to some of those on their smaller ships (Zenith...).
Old March 9th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Browezilla,

I must say that I too am tiring of the Caribbean routes the mega (70+K Tons) ships are taking, especially the Eastern and Western Routes. I'd love to see more of the smaller islands...and bring back Martinique, Guadeloupe, and Grenada. Seems that many of the lines have reduced or eliminated their sailings there. Also St. Kitts, St. Barts, Saba, Nevis, etc. I know X goes to some of those on their smaller ships (Zenith...).

There are several factors at work here.

>> 1. Some of the smaller islands simply cannot accommodate the numbers of passengers that the larger ships would bring due to lack of infrastructure and personnel. IIRC, Celebrity now offers excursions to some of these islands from their larger neighbors, though.

>> 2. St. George's, Granada, is a great port of call (I make it a point to book a cruise that stops there every few years so I can stock up on spices), but a hurricane nailed the island pretty badly in 2004, IIRC, so lines had to redeploy ships. It probably affected scheduling for the 2005-2006 Caribbean season.

>> 3. Celebrity has fewer ships in the Caribbean than most of the other lines because Celebrity has fewer ships, and it appears that the new Solstice class will merely replace MV Horizon and MV Zenith in Celebrity's fleet of nine vessels. Fewer vessels obviously means fewer itineriaries.

>> 4. Celebrity decided to deploy MV Century on a two-week cycle of short (one four-night and two five-night) itineraries operating from Miami. I really don't think that short itineraries make much sense for a "premium" cruise line, whose passengers are a lot less price-sensitive than Carnival's or Royal Caribbean International's, but such is life.

That said, it's not practical for seven-night cruises operating from Florida to reach the more southerly islands like Aruba, Curacao, Trinidad, Barbados, and Granada. The cruises that reach these islands either operate from San Juan or are ten nights or longer. Celebrity does offer several itineraries that reach these islands, and has announced more extensive choices aboard MV Galaxy and GTS Constellation for the 2006-2007 season.

You also might want to check out the non-transit "Panama Canal" itineraries, which really are extended western Caribbean cruises.

Happy cruising!

Norm.
Old March 12th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Passenger

Default When will Celebrity do new cruise routes

As I said in my first post, I wanted to do a longer cruise (20+) to new areas.(New Zealand,Australia,Tahiti, Asia etc)

How many times can you do St Thomas, or the Canal? Even the Med it is a case of same old ports, often with 3 or 4 ships in at the same time.

I am lucky I can cruise 3-4 times a year,and I have done the Caribbean , Alaska,S America,North America, Europe, many times. I have also sailed from Karachi to UK route.

Just did 30day cruise on HAL, I know they are doing 56 day cruises in 2007, but I found HAL passengers had too much in common with those in "assisted living" homes. It seemed that everywhere you went on board there were wheelchairs,walkers, etc. The cruise listed many islands were tendered, yet passengers thought the crew should carry them down on to the tenders and find space for their wheelchairs.
I decided against the 56day cruise on Prinsendam ecause I know that will be the same mix as on the 30 daycruise
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Evelyn,

As I said in my first post, I wanted to do a longer cruise (20+) to new areas.(New Zealand,Australia,Tahiti, Asia etc)

You just might be in luck. I'm seeing rumors that Celebrity Cruises will deploy one ship to the western Pacific, apparently in the fall of 2007. The company has not announced itineraries yet, but watch for the announcement of 2007-2008 itineraries this summer.

How many times can you do St Thomas, or the Canal? Even the Med it is a case of same old ports, often with 3 or 4 ships in at the same time.

If you are looking for new ports of call, check out the following itineraries. Some of these are brand new this year.

>> "9 Night Best Of Europe Cruise Onboard Century" (http://www.celebritycruises.com/sear...Search+Results) plus "3 Night Short Break Cruise Onboard Century" (http://www.celebritycruises.com/sear...Search+Results) taken "back to back"

>> "11 Night Tyrrhenian Sea Cruise Onboard Century" (http://www.celebritycruises.com/sear...Search+Results)

>> "13 Night Best Of Europe Cruise Onboard Century" (http://www.celebritycruises.com/sear...Search+Results)

>> "14 Night Brit Isles/Norwgn Fjords Cruise Onboard Constellation" (http://www.celebritycruises.com/sear...Search+Results)

>> "14 Night Exotic Med And Black Sea Cruise Onboard Galaxy" (http://www.celebritycruises.com/sear...Search+Results)

Also, you might want to consider (1) a cruise to the Scandanavia and the Baltic Sea, if you have not already gone there, and (2) a transatlantic cruise. Many of Celebrity's transatlantic itineraries call in the Medeira Islands, the Canary Islands, or the Acores, as well as ports like Grenada, Spain, or Gibraltar, which are out of the way for normal Mediterranean itineraries.

Have a fabulous cruise, whatever you decide!

Just did 30day cruise on HAL, I know they are doing 56 day cruises in 2007, but I found HAL passengers had too much in common with those in "assisted living" homes. It seemed that everywhere you went on board there were wheelchairs,walkers, etc. The cruise listed many islands were tendered, yet passengers thought the crew should carry them down on to the tenders and find space for their wheelchairs.

Yes, that has long been the reputation of Holland America Lines (HAL). After buying the company (c. 1988), Carnival Corporation promoted HAL as a traditional cruise product for older passengers -- apparently with considerable success. I hear that the typical median age on most HAL cruises is about eighty. The line apparently is trying to attract younger passengers, but it takes time.

In the "premium" segment of the cruise market, both Holland America Lines and Princess Cruises have been in the cruise business a lot longer than Celebrity Cruises, which started c. 1990. As a result, they have larger fleets and have developed more global reach. Celebrity Cruises is expanding at a manageable pace, but it takes time to set up business relationships in parts of the world where one has never operated. The recent announcement that Princess Cruises will take over a third small ship, to become MV Royal Princess (30,270 tons, 680 passengers) in April of 2007, proves that sisters MV Tahitian Princess and MV Pacific Princess have been a success. We can hope that this may well inspire Celebrity Cruises to order a couple vessels of similar size to operate itineraries that may not draw enough passengers to fill larger vessels.

Norm.
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Passenger

I look forward? to the day when I get tired of the same old ports. I'm no where near there yet.

Voyager of the Seas March 2000
Adventure of the Seas March 2002
Navigator of the Seas March 2003
Serenade of the Seas March 2004
Enchantment of the Seas January 2006
Old March 14th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Admiral

To the OP- Off subject here, but I had to tell you. Your name was the name of my Grandmother, and she lived about an hour north of you. When I saw your name I got a chill. She was a great lady whom passed about 6 years ago.

Thanks for the smile, I'll let you get back to your posts....

Tina

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:01 PM
Passenger

I have to agree. We're terribly disappointed in the itineraries for Celebrity in '06 and '07. Too many Panama Canal and Hawaii cruises, not enough 10 or 11 day cruises, and a lot of repeating of ports.

Forget the plan to deploy to Asia. That's a dead issue.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser

I hope they keep some of the cruise routes the same. I want to do the galaxy 11 night Greek Isles next May! Or something that incorporates Greece.