Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Smoking in Cabins

I was wondering how the cruise ships we've been on get rid of the smoke odor in cabins. We don't smoke, and we are fairly sensitive to smoke odor and always request non-smoking rooms in the hotels where we stay. Cruise ships don't seem to segregate any smoking cabins strictly for the use of those who smoke. When we book our cruises, we've never been asked if we want a non-smoking cabin, because, I guess, there aren't any. We have noticed smoke odors coming from cabins that we pass while walking by. We have never noticed any lingering smoke odor in any of our cabins and were curious as to how it is eliminated...especially from the bedding. Are the mattresses replaced for each cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:40 AM
First Mate

I believe they use ionizers when they clean the room. I am a smoker and the ventilation systems on the ships are very good. I have smoked in my room, left the room and came back, there did not seem to be any telltale odor. Hope this helps.
Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Beginner

Having just read more details about the fire on the Princess ship perhaps more will done to discourage smoking in cabins and on balconies. I have stopped booking balconies because each time we have been in the vicinity of smokers and the wafts of smoke and butts being thrown off the side is not pleasant. I can't understand how half a ship is slated for the the smokers pleasure when surely 50% of the guests are not smokers. On Royal Radiance last week and on Celebrity Infinity in February there were cigar lovers on the pool deck really ruining it for others. I have also seen lounge chairs brought over to non-smoking because the smoker did not want to be around too many smokers!

I think the top level should have a smoking area and you can all get together there - like in airports now and eating areas. Celebrity even has cigar lounges - saving some of the nicest music and gathering spots for smokers!

Any non-smoking cruises out there?
happy crusing.
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Cruiser10,

... butts being thrown off the side...

Princess's standard safety briefing warns passengers, very clearly and unambiguously, NEVER to throw smoking matierals over the side because they can get sucked into intakes and cause a fire aboard the ship. I'm not sure why, but I don't recall hearing this in Celebrity's briefing.

I can't understand how half a ship is slated for the the smokers pleasure when surely 50% of the guests are not smokers.

Don't forget that (1) many passengers who don't smoke personally may be travelling in a party with other passengers wo do smoke and (2) many cigarette smokers will go to a lounge that allows smoking for a "smoke break" in the midst of another activitiy. On some cruises, I have even had tablemates who could not make it through dinner without a cancer stick. so they excused themselves and went to the nearest lounge for a cigarette between courses! Thus, setting aside half of some longes for smoking may well be appropriate.

On Royal Radiance...

???

Is there a ship named Royal Radiance?

Or does Royal Cruise Line (yes, there is, or at least was, such a company!) own a ship named Radiance?

I can't find any references to either, though there are a couple ships named Royal Princess....

If you are attempting to refer to Royal Caribbean's GTS Radiance of the Seas, please be aware that "Royal" is NOT an appropriate shorthand for Royal Caribbean International (acceptably called "Royal Caribbean" for short) because it causes confusion with Royal Cruise Line.

I think the top level should have a smoking area and you can all get together there - like in airports now and eating areas. Celebrity even has cigar lounges - saving some of the nicest music and gathering spots for smokers!

A "topside" smoking area is best located aft, where the smoke usually will blow away from the vessel, as in Celebrity's use of hte deck area abaft the buffet for "Cigars under the Stars" on the Millennium class. Note that Michaels' Club is now a piano lounge (no cigars) on these vessels.

In view of the safety considerations and the problem of too many passengers now thinking that they are exempt from the rules that apply to everybody else, it seems inevitable that most cruise lines will implement more stringent policies on smoking while not banning smoking completely. Smoking in lounges generally is not a safety problem because most smokers do use ashtrays when they smoke below decks, but smoking in cabins and on balconies, where the cruise line can't supervise it, is another matter. We probably also will see smoking on deck restricted to smaller areas, preferably located aft, where the cruise line can supervise it closely to ensure that passengers are not throwing smoking materials overboard.

Any non-smoking cruises out there?

Carnival Cruises tried a strice "no smoking" policy aboard MV Carnival Paradise -- enforced throughout the vessel's construciton as well as in operation -- a few years ago, but it apparently did not attract enough business to that vessel to justify such a policy.

Norm.
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Beginner

Thanks for your reply - I understand your points - and do hope to see some changes for the safety and comfort of all. I did mean RCI - Radiance of the Seas - forgot about the "Royal" cruiseline. Thank you for pointing that out. Still think too much leaway given to smokers -as in cabins and on balconies. there should be an end to that - period. Anyone can fall asleep - especially on a cruise!! I think "they" are listening as there seemed to be more non-smoking areas in the "Schooner" bar on our recent trip as opposed to previous sailings on comparible ships, which was nice.
nice chatting.
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser10
Still think too much leaway given to smokers -as in cabins and on balconies. there should be an end to that - period.
If they put an end to smoking in cabins and on balconies, they would also be putting an end to cruising for many smokers. This would prove to be financially disastrous to the cruiseline, as it did for the Carnival Paradise.

While the incident on Star Princess was definitely tragic and must have been terrifying for all involved, it is statistically insignificant when you consider the thousands of cruises that sail each year without a cigarette-related fire. I doubt anything will change in regards to smoking because of the fire on the Star. I certainly hope not. I don't think any of us would like the changes the cruise industry would have to make to compensate for the loss of the smokers. Higher prices and fewer ships. If Carnival couldn't survive with just one non-smoking ship (Carnival Paradise), there's no reason to think that the industry is ready for all ships to be non-smoking.
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I thought at some point I read that the sprinkler system had failed onboard Star Princess. I would certainly hope that from this point on, those systems get checked more often, that failure IMHO, was significant and I haven't heard much about it, just the smoking part of it. Anyone have any information on that?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Donna, I wondered about the sprinkler system myself. I guess if it started on the balcony, there aren't any out there. From one of the folks who actually was on the cruise, I read that he said there was 3 or 4 inches of black sooting water in his cabin when he returned. So, I assume that means the sprinklers worked in his cabin. I'm very anxious to read the final report on this fire.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Thanks ML,
I was just wondering about that, hadn't heard that there was water, so at least they were working in the cabins, but shouldn't there be some on the balconies too?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Donna,

I thought at some point I read that the sprinkler system had failed onboard Star Princess. I would certainly hope that from this point on, those systems get checked more often, that failure IMHO, was significant and I haven't heard much about it, just the smoking part of it. Anyone have any information on that?

I have not seen anything indicating that any of the safety systems, including sprinklers, failed. Rather, it appears that the fire occurred on the exterior of the vessel, where there are neiither sprinklers nor other fire detectors.

I was just wondering about that, hadn't heard that there was water, so at least they were working in the cabins, but shouldn't there be some on the balconies too?

The standards in the current Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) treaty apparently do not require either fire detectors or sprinklers on the exterior of a vessel, and balconies are part of the exterior. When the teams complete their investigation of this incident, though, I expect that they will propose a revision to the SOLAS treaty that will require sprinklers and fire (heat, smoke, etc.) sensors in exterior recesses, such as balconies, if not also in other exterior areas. It should be relatively inepxensive to retrofit such enhancements into existing ships. Of course, it probably will take 2-3 years to hammer out the wording and obtain ratification of the revisions to the SOLAS treaty, then there will be a "grace period" of at least 2-3 years to retrofit the existing fleet.

That said, the more immediate question is what on earth provided the fuel for an inferno that would take out balconies on three decks completely. I can't imagine a fire of that magnitude without a major violation of some provision of SOLAS -- improper materials in construction, flammable fluids where the don't belong, or somehting. Princess obviously will need to fix such a problem before MV Star Princess can return to sea with passengers embarked, and there's also the possibility that the same deficiency may force other ships out of service.

Norm.
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Thanks Norm,
I was also wondering what could of been out there to ignite and cause all that damage, hopefully we'll have more answers as they continue to investigate.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 29th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Passenger

The cruise lines may not be the one to ban smoking from the cabins and balconies. That may come from the insurance companies. Who do you think is going to foot the bill for the repairs caused by the cigarette. I believe the insurance companies may take a long look at this incident. They may decide that smoking in cabins and balconies are a safety hazzard and may require the cruise lines to establish smoking areas. The cruise lines may balk at this but remember they HAVE to have the insurance coverage to operate. Any opinions ?
Old March 29th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Admiral

PLEASE, there is no proof that a cigarette was the cause of the fire. Maybe it was some drunk who lit off his Bacardi 151 rum and it got out of hand. :o

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 29th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
PLEASE, there is no proof that a cigarette was the cause of the fire. Maybe it was some drunk who lit off his Bacardi 151 rum and it got out of hand. :o
Ok, Irish ...I will give you that. There was was no video tape proving the fire was casued by a cigarette. There does appear to be a fair amount of speculation as to the cause but I have not heard anything about a drunk with burning rum. Irish are you a smoker by chance ?...I was wondering because you sure seem defensive about ther possibility of the cigarette being the cause. With that being said my question was and still is. IF so Irish woun't be offended, IF and I say IF a burning cigarette was the cause would that motivate the insurance companies to re-write the coverage to eliminate smoking in cabins and balconies ?. A reasobale question to ask under the circumstances.
Old March 29th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Folks like to speculate and jump at the first rumors that fly around after any disaster. All, I am saying is that until the investigators determine how and where the fire started, it is all just speculation.

My statement about the rum was made in jest - however it is just as feasible as the cigarette rumors.

For the record, I do not smoke.

The insurance companies may or may not do anything until the results of the investigation are in. If a cigarette is indeed the cause (highly doubted, but possible) a further restriction on smoking onboard may be in order.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree w/ Irish....All speculation until the investigation is complete. Could have been electrical, could have been some dope with an iron, could have been a candle, a cigarette....anything is possible.