Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Beginner

Default Millennium veranda rooms

On our very first cruise my fiancée and I booked a guaranteed ocean view room on Carnival’s Sensation. We ended up with the highest category of room right mid-ship, which I realize is pretty lucky. Our one major complaint about the room was that the room had two pullout berths that jutted out of the walls and which we were constantly banging into.

Now we are planning a Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity’s Millennium and we were thinking of booking a guaranteed veranda room. Are one concern is that on the web site it shows that the majority of the veranda rooms have at least one berth. Now we realize that the two ships are very different and that the Millennium is a lot newer, are question is how are the berths set up on the Millennium? We are hoping the Celebrity managed to place them so that they are not so obtrusive but we want to be sure before booking.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Baltazar,

On our very first cruise my fiancée and I booked a guaranteed ocean view room on Carnival’s Sensation. We ended up with the highest category of room right mid-ship, which I realize is pretty lucky. Our one major complaint about the room was that the room had two pullout berths that jutted out of the walls and which we were constantly banging into.

Now we are planning a Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity’s Millennium and we were thinking of booking a guaranteed veranda room. Are one concern is that on the web site it shows that the majority of the veranda rooms have at least one berth. Now we realize that the two ships are very different and that the Millennium is a lot newer, are question is how are the berths set up on the Millennium? We are hoping the Celebrity managed to place them so that they are not so obtrusive but we want to be sure before booking.

IIRC, the upper berths aboard GTS Millennium drop down from the overhead, and are flush when stowed. This configuration also provides a several inches of additional headroom for the person the upper berth who wants to sit up.

You will find that Celebrity is much more "upscale" than Carnival (probably the most "upscale" of all the "mass market" cruise lines). A typical Celebrity cruise of twelve nights will have three "formal" evenings, three or four "informal" evenings, and only five or six "casual" evenings, for example. Also, "formal" really does mean FORMAL, and neraly all of the passengers really do dress to the nines -- especially in Europe. Also, the "suggested" attire for the "informal" evenings (jacket for gentlemen and a cocktail dress for ladies) tends to be a minimum. Celebrity offers "alternative casual dining" with full table service in the buffet area at night, but there's no entertainment that does not require conformance with the evening dress code. If you enjoy dressing up for the entire evening, Celebrity Cruises is a good choice. If not, you might want to consider booking on another line instead.

BTW, GTS Millennium has great itineraries -- which undoubtedly is why you chose one of them!

Norm.