Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Default Inifnity - Alaska - dressing up?

We are thinking of the "Infinity" for Alaska in July. We like to dress up for formal nights - but the other nights like to be more casual. What is the dress code like on Celebrity. I can get DH into a tie for two nights - but any more might be a real struggle lol. We have been on Carnival and Princess - and they are rather lax with their rules - like jeans in the dining room even on formal night - yuk!!! Thanks for any info.

TTFN Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Default Infinity - Alaska - Dressing Up

Usually, the length of the cruise determines how many formal nights there are, but Celebrity should be able to tell you.

Judy
Old March 30th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Jennifer,

We are thinking of the "Infinity" for Alaska in July. We like to dress up for formal nights - but the other nights like to be more casual. What is the dress code like on Celebrity

A seven-night Celebrity cruise normally has two (2) "formal" evenings, two (2) "informal" evenings, and three (3) casual evenings. The "casual" evenings are the first evening, the evening when the ship stays late in port, and the last evening. The "formal" evenings are the second evening and the next to last evening. The "informal" evenings are the remaining two evenings.

Celebrity "suggests" the following evening attire.

>> Formal: Tuxedo, dinner jacket, or DARK business suit for gentlemen; evening gown or formal cocktail dress for ladies

>> Informal: Sport shirt, slacks, and sport coat (necktie optinal) for gentlemen; cocktail dress for ladies

>> Casual: Sport shirt and slacks (necktie and sport coat optional) for gentlemen; top and skirt or slacks for ladies

Celebrity's assengers tend to construe these guidelines as minima, so a significant fraction do dress well beyond these guidelines. For gentlemen, a golf shirt or polo shirt is acceptable on "informal" and "casual" evenings.

I can get DH into a tie for two nights - but any more might be a real struggle lol.

That sounds like it will work.

That said, perhaps you need to break out the sassy step-ins, garter belts, matching brazieres, and stockings to wear on the formal evening. Perhaps if hubby knwos that such awaits him, he might decide that dressing up is not such a bad deal....

We have been on Carnival and Princess - and they are rather lax with their rules - like jeans in the dining room even on formal night - yuk!!!

Celebrity is not so lax. There is "alternative casual dining" (with full table service) in the buffet area, but there is no alternative casual entertainment. Father, the prescribed evening attire is required at the shows -- and it's enforced, especially in the theater on formal evenings. There may be a few passengers who wear sport coats on the formal evenings because they don't know the difference between a sport coat and a dinner jacket, but that's usually about as lax as it gets.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old March 31st, 2006, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the replies. I have read the Celebrity suggestions - I guess I just wanted to hear from someone that had been there - done that - got the shirt lol. Carnival posts guidelines as well - but many people choose to ignore them.

I'm glad to hear Celebrity might actually enforce theirs. Dh figures he can do up in his "marryin and buryin" duds for a couple of nights - then his sports jacket and slacks for the other two. Think it might be time for a couple of new ties though - he wears the same thing every cruise - so you can only tell by me, in the photos, by what I have on - what cruise it is lol.

On to the ladies now - due to back problems I have to wear flat shoes - so prefer silky and sequinced pants suits to dress - would this be ok for Celebrity. I also love flashy earrings - the more "dangles" the better. Whatever we decide we will have fun - that's just the way we are. But it will be so nice in the dining room on formal nights - not to see blue
jeans!!!

Thanks again

TTFN Jennifer
Old March 31st, 2006, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Jennifer,

On to the ladies now - due to back problems I have to wear flat shoes - so prefer silky and sequinced pants suits to dress - would this be ok for Celebrity.

On the formal evenings, a full length dress or a ball gown definitely would be a better choice than pants. The pant suit probably would be okay on the informal evenings. OTOH, dressy flats with a suitable cocktail dress would be okay for either, too.

I also love flashy earrings - the more "dangles" the better.

That's completely up to you.

Norm.
Old April 6th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would like to offer a different opinion based on my experiences on Celebrity. I have not found Celebrity to be too much different than Princess in terms of dress code compliance or enforcement. Celebrity does have informal nights, whereas Princess does not, however I have noticed that in reality many people dress pretty much the same for informal nights as they do for casual and casual night dress is pretty equivalent on both lines.

I don't usually participate in formal nights because I dislike dressing up, however I have never had any problems participating in the entertainment afterwards while dressed in dressy casual (not jeans or shorts, but nicer casualwear). I have seen others doing the same either because they skipped the formal dinner or changed afterwards.

If you do attend the formal dinner, you will fit in quite appropriately in the dressy pantsuit. I have worn one on the few occasions when I did attend and I have never felt out of place and have seen other woman doing the same. Some of the pantsuits available today are quite fancy and would be inappropriate for anything but a formal occasion.

Dress code questions always bring out a variety of opposing opinions. I just wanted to give mine, not to confuse you, but so that you could have another view to help in making your decisions.
Old April 7th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Luv - thanks for the reply - I feel much better about my choices now. Some of that formal wear is decidedly strange looking - especially on older (read Me - mid 50's lol).

TTFN Jennifer
Old July 4th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Passenger

Default Infinity - Alaska Dressing Up?

We found that on this cruise, most people "dressed" for dinner. With the exception of "formal" nights, my husband wore a blazer with shirt & tie for the "informal" nights, while I wore an outfit I would wear to church/work; i.e. skirt & blouse or a dress, & on the other (casual) nights, he wore golf shirts & I wore pants outfits. We never saw anyone turned away from the dinning room, but when the majority are dressed a certain way, I like to follow the crowd. Celebrity itself, & the Alsaskan cruise in general, lend itself to an "older"crowd, so that a certain styel of dress is to be expected. FYI: we were seated at a table for 8, & only one couple did not wear formal dress for the Captain's Dinner (tux & cocktail dress).
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Georgie Girl,

Celebrity itself, & the Alsaskan cruise in general, lend itself to an "older"crowd...

An "older" crowd has not been my experience on Celebrity... unless, by "older," you mean older than college age....

And in Alaska, Celebrity offers several very active excursions that definitely appeal to a younger crowd in each port of call.

Norm.
Old July 6th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Inifnity - Alaska - dressing up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelson
We are thinking of the "Infinity" for Alaska in July. We like to dress up for formal nights - but the other nights like to be more casual. What is the dress code like on Celebrity. I can get DH into a tie for two nights - but any more might be a real struggle lol. We have been on Carnival and Princess - and they are rather lax with their rules - like jeans in the dining room even on formal night - yuk!!! Thanks for any info.

TTFN Jennifer
Hi Jennifer,
I came off the Infinity on 12 day Alaskan cruise our cruise was 5/20/06. I can give you my opinion. Celebrity is not that much different in dress. On formal nights a cocktail dress or fancy pant suit will due. Not every woman is wearing a full lengh ball gown. However, I didn't see anyone wearing jeans to the dining room on formal night. For women informal night and casual night are about the same. For men there is more of a difference.

I will warn you that the ship is older and the toliet seats are chipped so be careful. It's that type of lack of attention to detail that disappointed me about the Infinity. Hope you have fun and beware of the Shrimp it's not deviened and it's overcooked. :evil:

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Admiral

katlady,

I came off the Infinity...

I will warn you that the ship is older....

This ship is only about five years old -- hardly an "older" vessel. The major cruise lines generally operate vessels for about twenty years, then sell them to the "bargain basement" lines -- many of whom market their cruises primarily outside of North America -- who operate them for another twenty or thirty years. The ships that go to these "second hand" operators are legitimately called "older" vessels. In the Celebrity fleet, only MV Zenith is reaching the point of qualifying for that moniker.

... and the toliet seats are chipped....

Most cruise lines repair stuff like that pretty quickly once it gets reported. Unfortunately, some cabin stewards often don't report such maintenance items until a passenger complains. The maintenance staff have many spare parts, which probably include a few toilet seats, onboard so they can replace them right away if there's a problem.

Norm.
Old July 6th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
katlady,

I came off the Infinity...

I will warn you that the ship is older....

This ship is only about five years old -- hardly an "older" vessel. The major cruise lines generally operate vessels for about twenty years, then sell them to the "bargain basement" lines -- many of whom market their cruises primarily outside of North America -- who operate them for another twenty or thirty years. The ships that go to these "second hand" operators are legitimately called "older" vessels. In the Celebrity fleet, only MV Zenith is reaching the point of qualifying for that moniker.

... and the toliet seats are chipped....

Most cruise lines repair stuff like that pretty quickly once it gets reported. Unfortunately, some cabin stewards often don't report such maintenance items until a passenger complains. The maintenance staff have many spare parts, which probably include a few toilet seats, onboard so they can replace them right away if there's a problem.

Norm.
Hi Norm,
The toliet seats that were chipped were in the public area bathrooms. This ship had come out of dry dock in March anyone could easily see that toliet seats needed replacement. The ship maybe only 5 years old but they haven't kept up the repairs because it looks older. But my biggest issue was the food I expected good food and was disappointed.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default I know the feeling...

Katlady on our last cruise there was a group that could't wait to gett off the ship and get them some real food........from BURGER KING....no kidding. They complained left and right about how Cracker barrel was so superior to X.

I say to each his own. If they want their family tree to grow straight up...hey its thier business...

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: I know the feeling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bububr
Katlady on our last cruise there was a group that could't wait to gett off the ship and get them some real food........from BURGER KING....no kidding. They complained left and right about how Cracker barrel was so superior to X.

I say to each his own. If they want their family tree to grow straight up...hey its thier business...

Dave
Hey Sweet Thing
If ya all are implying that I ain't got no culture cause in I dan't like that fod.
I have to disagree. My standing rib roast (Prime Rib to you sweet thing) was far superior to that roast beef they called Prime Rib. I'm a native Californian and have grown up eating Japanese, Hawaii, Chinese, Thai and Portuguese food. I don't fear trying new things and there is nothing wrong with a good cheese burger ever now and then. Man doesn't live on Rock 'n roll sushi alone (that's eel sweet thing) I know quality food and a good restaurant takes that little vein off the back of the shrimp before serving it to customers. You want to discuss what I thought of the food I will be straight with you.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jenn, lucky you off to alaska. You crack me up sometimes i totally understand about the 50's thing. I have to remember that just becausre a size 4 pulls off a particular gown, i have to remember my own aging process [ arms that keep moving long after the waving has ceased ] Anyway, even though i have not worn one yet, I have seen some glamorous pant suits, I think it is all in the fabric and the accesories.
I have heard lots of talk of wearing sari's for formal night. They have gorgeous color, fabric and you can wear flat slippers with beads.
Oh, and by the way, 50'2 older nah 8)
cozzette, the youngish 50's and still cool
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:28 PM
First Mate

Just a note: Formal is what the name implies but there are many variations on that from gowns to glittery tops & palazzo pants for ladies, Informal & Casual are NOT the same, informal means semi formal still in the dressy & cocktail mode..with gentleman wearing at least a jacket... Casual is resort casual.... There is a difference-one night we misread the bulletin & showed up in the wrong mode-- overdressed --very noticeable so we had a good laugh & changed after dinner! Not sure why Alaska would be any different
Old July 8th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Admiral

hcat,

Informal & Casual are NOT the same

That's very right.

informal means semi formal

Actually, they are not. "Semiformal" means standard business attire -- that is, a business suit for gentlemen. "Informal" is between "semiformal" and "casual" -- traditionally a sport coat with slacks, a dress shirt, and a necktie for gentlemen, but evolution has made the necktie optional. For ladies, I would take "semiformal" to mean a cocktail dress or a woman's business suit and "informal" to mean either a skirt or slacks with a top, though a cocktail dress also would be acceptable.

Not sure why Alaska would be any different

The published dress standards for cruises to Alaska are exactly the same as for cruises to other destinations.

The practical reality, though, is that there are two complicating factors.

>> 1. Some travel agents wrongly tell their clients that cruises to Alaska are more casual than cruises to other destinations, with the consequence that the clients don't pack the appropriate clothing. The result is that the misinformation becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

>> 2. Alaska also draws a LOT of passengers who are on their very first cruises because people who have little interest in cruising find out that a cruise or cruise-tour, which calls at significant destinations that are not accessible via land, is the best way to see Alaska. In many cases, these "first timers" don't really understand what's expected. (Of course, many of them do become hooked on cruising....)

So the result of these effects is that there are more passengers who don't bring proper attire on cruises to Alaska than on cruises to other destinations.

Norm.
Old July 8th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Hi Norm and Hcat,
For women the difference between casual and informal can be somewhat cloudy. This is from the Celebrity website: "On informal nights, ladies may wear an informal dress or pants and blouse, while gentlemen may wear a jacket and tie with slacks. Casual nights call for casual, comfortable wear, so women may opt for a pantsuit or sporty outfit while gentlemen may choose a sport shirt and slacks. " To my way of thinking this is much more clear for the men. What is the main difference bewteen a pantsuit and pants and a blouse. There is no jeans in the dining room so it's resort casual I understand that but I can't see a big difference between resort casual and informal. I just came back from Alaskan cruise and I can assure you no one was wearing a cocktail dress on informal night. I chose to wear nice slacks and a blouse on both informal and casual nights. I wore the cocktail dress on formal night. Because of my height 5.1 a full lenght gown or ball gown looks like silly. If you can give me a clear difference between the two for ladies I would be interested to hear it.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Admiral

katlady,

This is from the Celebrity website: "On informal nights,... gentlemen may wear a jacket and tie with slacks.

This is one of Celebrity's major disconnects. The dress standard published aboard ship, which actually governs, state that gentlemen should wear a sport shirt, slacks, and sport coat on informal evenings. The necktie is clearly optional.

What is the main difference bewteen a pantsuit and pants and a blouse.

A pantsuit has a jacket, usually made of the same material as the pants.

Because of my height 5.1 a full lenght gown or ball gown looks like silly.

I find that hard to believe. I know many short ladies who look great in full length dresses that they purchased in the "petites" department or shop.

Norm.
Old July 27th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Katlady and Norm,
You guys crack me up. Norm splitting hairs on technicalities and Katlady doing the sweet thing. I guess me reading all this stuff means I don’t have much to do either.
I bought a tux years ago for my health. Each cruise I have to go into pre-cruise training with a diet so I can get into it. I think if I stop cruising I will get unhealthy and die.
I just got off the Rhapsody July 16 and at the formal night I saw several gentlemen in short sleeves and slacks. Didn’t bother me and it didn’t seem to bother them. I felt comfortable in my tux and the young males at my table had on coats and ties. I had to tie the ties for them and one is over 30. I think one had to buy a coat for this cruise. Well we had a very beautiful picture made and that is one of the reasons to dress up.
I get lots of compliments on my tux and try and give more compliments than I receive. I find that this occurs more on cruises than it does not on cruises. I would always try and wear at least a nice suit on formal night if I out grow my tux. I think it is kind of my duty to my fellow passengers to look my best when they have gone to so much trouble to dress up. If one feels no obligation to dress up I have no problem with it, and do not support any type of forced code.
Saying that, if there is no pressure to dress, the custom will die and that could be some wonderful nostalgia gone by the wayside.
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapel
Katlady and Norm,
You guys crack me up. Norm splitting hairs on technicalities and Katlady doing the sweet thing. I guess me reading all this stuff means I don’t have much to do either.
I bought a tux years ago for my health. Each cruise I have to go into pre-cruise training with a diet so I can get into it. I think if I stop cruising I will get unhealthy and die.
I just got off the Rhapsody July 16
Hi Jr welcome aboard,
I'm glad to crack you up. I like that theory that if you do not cruise you will became unhealthy I feel the same way as well. You know part of the fun is knowing you have a cruise booked. Where did you go on the Rhapsody and which cruise line is that? I love nice clothes and great hairstyles so I always dress up formal night. It's fun. But that's why I need so many suitcases. I also love to eat that's why I need to lose weight before the cruise, so I have room to grow.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

KLatlady,
Rhapsody was out of Galveston. No baggage weight restrictions since we could drive. 7 days is just too short a cruise.
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Katlady,
Rhapsody was out of Galveston. No baggage weight restrictions since we could drive. 7 days is just too short a cruise. Anyone with a name like Katlady has got to be some kind of "CAT". Where is your picture site? MEOW
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Katlady,
Rhapsody was out of Galveston. No baggage weight restrictions since we could drive. 7 days is just too short a cruise. Anyone with a name like Katlady has got to be some kind of "CAT". Where is your picture site? MEOW
I got 3 cats so I'm the Krazy Katlady but it got shorten to katlady. Here's my picture site of the cruise me and DH took in May to Alaska. http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2871 Is your picture site the RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS 7-06 because there is some great pictures in there?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 28th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Katlady,
I got 3 cats so I'm the Krazy Katlady but it got shorten to katlady. Here's my picture site of the cruise me and DH took in May to Alaska. http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2871 Is your picture site the RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS 7-06 because there is some great pictures in there?
Katlady,
Thanks, Nice pictures. Yes my pictures are at http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...YNOLDS&match=3
Where the Rhapsody is--last cruise.