Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2006, 10:16 PM
Beginner

Default Jeans in dining room?

I think I read somewhere that jeans are not allowed in the dining room of the constellation. Is this true? Has anyone worn them? Please let me know. I was kind of hoping to give up my work clothes for a while =)

As ALWAYS, thank you all for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:54 PM
Admiral

We have not cruised Celebrity but jeans are highly frowned upon on any ship in the dining room for dinner but for some reason accepted on cruises from Texas. I have only worn them on 50's and Klondike Kountry nights. They are black and you would have to look close to even know they are denim. Another pair is dark purple and again, you wouldn't know they were denim unless you looked close. They are heavy and take up lots of space in the luggage so I like packing my light weight khaki type slacks.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:55 PM
Admiral

I can't address the specific ship, but other than a windjammer, I've never been on a ship where jeans would be considered appropriate in the dining room at dinner time. For breakfast or lunch is a different matter. Not everyone can eat on the Lido deck on a busy morning, before tours and I have been in the dining room for breakfast in shorts and t-shirt ready to go ashore.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Cruise lines enforcement of their dress policies is generally weak, and will vary from ship to ship.

That said, of the mass marekt line, Celebrity is perhaps the most likely line where you might be turned away from the dining room and directed to the alternate casual dining area on Lido Deck.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 08:50 AM
Admiral

You can get away with jeans in the dining room on the first night of the cruise, as some people haven't received their luggage yet, and have to eat in whatever they boarded in. (especially if you have first seating). Other than that, I wouldn't wear jeans in the evening. As stated in a previous post, just take some dockers or that type of pants along,,,easy to pack, lighter weight, and look O.K.
I too look forward to more relaxed dress while on a cruise, and find that dressing this way fills the bill. Have a great time aboard.
Ken
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've never had a problem wearing nice (brand new) black jeans into the dining room on non-formal nights. You would have to be practically sitting right next to me rubbing your hand up and down my pants to even tell that they are jeans and, so far, nobody has gone to that extreme to expose my dress code violation.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

This note is from the daily Celebrity information flyer on our last cruise...

Dress Code in Our Dining Room: Jeans, bathing suits, beach robes, tank tops or bare feet are not permitted in the dining room at any time. Shorts are not permitted at dinner time. Guests are expected to respect this sailing tradition for the ambience of the cruise.

That being said, I originally thought that jeans were not allowed only at dinner time, and I wore mine to breakfast one morning early into our cruise. Nothing was said by anyone. After I noticed the rules, I didn't wear them there anymore.
Old April 4th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default I didn't even see a pair of jeans at dinner

during the 3/17/06 Mexican riviera cruise on the Mercury. Even with all the cleaning and bleaching going on it was dark suits and tuxedos. As well as gowns and cocktail dresses. I have to admit it was one of the best dressed group of folks I have ever seen

Celebrity is starting to make a crackdown on passengers that don't abide by the dress code. I hope it sticks.

THey have also changed wording from requested to REQUIRED in their dailys and begun to make announcements asking that the code of the evening REMAIN throught to ensure the propper atmosphere.

Makes me happy.

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old April 4th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Passenger

Skymaster is right. Maybe the first night, but, generally, NOPE! Personally, my wife and I dress up every night for the dining room. It just seems to add to the classiness of the whole cruise experience. I wear a sport jacket every night.

Please, folks, I'm not a snob, but I wear a shirt and tie every day to work and take many business associates to dinner, so it's sort of habit.

Is there a cruisehip that has astrict dress code policy? something like a sport jacket every night and mandatory formakl night dress? Just wondering.

Yuck, I DO sound like a snob. Sorry. :roll:
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:39 PM
First Mate

Just back from Summit--no jeans observed in the dining room--nice casual clothes for casual nights & others in accordance with suggested dress...for daytime whatever you choose seems fine...there is a casual dining option or room service....
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't think you'll have any problems with jeans at lunch time as I have been wearing them on all the ships of Celebrity from the cruiselines start. Night time(except for 1st and last night, its a different issue).
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Passenger

celebrity is pretty open on the policy and does not enforce it much. on formal nights they expect a coat but otherwise you could let it slide. if you are talking jeans it depends. if you are going to walk in there with some levis jeans then no. but if you were going to be wearing like a nice pair of trendy jeans with a nice shirt not t-shirt it would be ok in my opinino. i am talking about how guys where the nice designer jeans with pinstrip shirts and maybe a blazer. even for women it you make it trendy and you put on a blazer you could work it in the dining room.
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:36 PM
First Mate

Why can,t we stay away from jeans all together in the dining room?Is it that difficult to put on apair of nice kahki pants instead of jeans Certainly they are just as comfortable as jeans.Save your jeans for the western nite if they have one on your cruise.
Old April 15th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Our last cruise on Summit (3-26 through 4-9, 2006) the dress code was enforced.
There was a sign outside the dinning area that had printed the codes. The crew member was enforcing the code sign.

There was one individual that tried to enter the dining with embroider jeans. The M'D commented very nice, but still they are jeans.

It does not take that long to change to the dress code of the day. I and wife have done the quick change many times.

Old April 18th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Passenger

I am probably one of the only people to have ever gotten away with wearing jeans on Celebrity.
To tell you the truth, the look on my mother's face as I walked up to the table was priceless.
You can take the boy off the Carnival ship, but you can't take the Carnival out of the boy.
No one said anything to me besides my mother's horrified look, they were faded Sevens if that helps? Knowing the people that frequent Celebrity cruises, they probably won't judge you unless the jeans cost less then $300... I probably looked better then half the people in the dining room, for the record...

Carnival Victory
Old April 18th, 2006, 03:58 PM
First Mate

You may have thought you looked better than half the people but that is your opinion only and not that of the rest of the people eating in the dining room.
Old April 18th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Passenger

Ouch, that was nice.
My point was to let a person wear jeans if he/she is going to wear them well. A teenager wearing baggy khakis so low you can see his boxers is allowed into the dining room because he is wearing khakis, but you scoff at me because I am wearing clean, nice jeans with a dress shirt and a blazer on a 'smart casual' night? If a person is dressed nicely, who cares if they are wearing jeans or not? Its not like I would ever consider wearing jeans on a formal night.

Carnival Victory
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:17 PM
First Mate

You are missing the point and that is jeans are forbidden in the dining room irregardless how fancy or chic they might be.Yes, they may be in better taste than low hanging kahki pants but the cruise line is attemptind to draw the line somewhere and most of the cruisers are in agreement unless you are talking about Carnival where the dress code is much more relaxed.
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Admiral

We are still newbies compared to a lot of the posters on these threads..we've only been on 5 cruises so far (number 6 in May!!!) We've been on RCCI, Celebrity and HAL...

We have never seen Jeans in the main dining room EXCEPT first seating on the first night when most are still waiting for their luggage, etc. (as pointed out by another poster) After the first night everyone we saw dressed according to the posted protocal. (casual, informal or formal)
Old April 19th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Passenger

i think that if you are comforatble in a nice pair of jeans then wear then. you are not on a cruise to impress anyone else you are there to relax and have a good time. if wearing jeans is what does it then do it, i think that they should do away with all the dress code and let people what they want to wear.
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Admiral

ILoveCruising,

i think that if you are comforatble in a nice pair of jeans then wear then. you are not on a cruise to impress anyone else you are there to relax and have a good time. if wearing jeans is what does it then do it, i think that they should do away with all the dress code and let people what they want to wear.

This is not exactly rocket science. If you want to wear jeans in the dining room during your cruise, just book your cruise on a line that permits jeans in the dining room and leave the lines that forbid them to the "rich snobs" who don't want to hang out with "poor trash" who don't have a clue about proper attire. Neither is really any better or worse than the other, despite mutual opinons to the contrary. The bottom line is that there's plenty of diverity among cruise lines to satisfy all tastes so there's no need to book a cruise on a line whose rules don't match your style.

Norm.
Old April 19th, 2006, 01:50 PM
First Mate

Right on Norm.Ran a survey on Holland several months ago in which the over whelming vote was to continue with formal nites.The cruise lines have addressed the casual dining with the lido opened every nite.If the cruising public wanted casual dining this wuld have evolved thru the years by way of the comment cards etc.Let the jeans grp. go on Windjammer or similiar line or a river boat cruise where casual is the norm.I for one like the dining experience where the waiters and staff are dressed for the ocasion and fellow passengers for the most part will dress in nice attire and be presented a excellent dinner served on nice china.It would be interesting to run a survey on how people feal about no dress code in the main dining room.My guess wold be that it would follow to acertain extent that of the one on Holland.
Old April 19th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Admiral

big apple,

The cruise lines have addressed the casual dining with the lido opened every nite.

This actually varies from line to line. On Celebrity, "alternative casual dining" is in the buffet area -- but it's full table service except for the salad bar, reservations recommended (walk-ins accommodated if a table is available), with a surcharge ($3.50 per person IIRC) -- and there's no alternative casual entertainment.

If the cruising public wanted casual dining this wuld have evolved thru the years by way of the comment cards etc.

Actually, there's also a substantial cruising population that wants an "all casual" experience -- and there are regular cruise lines, like Oceana Cruises, that are attempting to serve that segment of the population.

Let the jeans grp. go on Windjammer or similiar line or a river boat cruise where casual is the norm.

I also have no problem with letting the "jeans on casual nights" crowd have their cruise lines. I understand that Carnival Cruises does allow jeans in the dining room.

I for one like the dining experience where the waiters and staff are dressed for the ocasion and fellow passengers for the most part will dress in nice attire and be presented a excellent dinner served on nice china.

So do I, and I'll go one step further. The attire of the participants is a major element in setting the tone and the atmosphere for the evening. When a cruise line advertises "formal" evenings, we as customers have a right to expect that all participants will wear appropriate attire to set the formal atmosphere. Thus, the cruise line has a contractual obligation to its customers to enforce that standard.

There's also a significant safety issue here. Failure to enforce rules can only breed an attitude that the rules don't matter, and thus that one need not comply with them. Such attitudes tend to carry over into casualty situations ("sure, they sounded the general emergency alarm -- but I don't want to go to my muster station so what are they gong to do about it??") that could cause the deaths of others as well as of those who fail to comply with the proper procedures and instructions. Perhaps this is the former naval officer in me speaking, but I don't want to go to sea with those who won't follow the rules, whatever the rules happen to be.

It would be interesting to run a survey on how people feal about no dress code in the main dining room.My guess wold be that it would follow to acertain extent that of the one on Holland.

The results probably would vary considerably from cruise line to cruise line, probably as a result of self-selection if nothing else. By maintaining "informal" evenings as well as "formal" evenings, Celebrity now draws a much higher percentage of passengers who prefer a dressier atmosphere than most other lines. This would skew the survey so the results on Celebrity would favor retention of the dressy evenings. Conversely, the "formal optional" policy of Norwegian Cruise Line tends to draw passengers who don't want to dress up at all so the survey on that line would favor elimination of formal evenings much more strongly than on most other lines.

I think that each cruise line needs to recognize that it can't be all things to all people on the dress issue, decide which segment of the market it will serve, set its standards accordingly, and enforce those standards. Of cousre, this may well be happening as a result of passenger comments. I have noticed that Celebrity seems to be enforcing dress standards in the theater as well as in the dining room, probably in response to passenger comments saying that the standards should be enforced. We need to continue to make comments on this on our cruise surveys, though -- noting that we're happy that the line is doing it where we find it being done and or that there's a need for enforcement where we see failures.

Norm.
Old April 19th, 2006, 10:25 PM
First Mate

Agree with most of your comments however on Holland you still have the option of going thru the line or the table service and for the menu it is tha same as main dining room except no lobster on those nites when it is served in the main dining room.Also, the dress on Oceana is "country club casual"which in many cases the men will wear a jacket however am not sure this would mean jeans any way you looked at it.By the way talking with some people on oceana was told that the food was the best of any line as they do not operate with any type of food budget.In addition it should be noted that this line is more expensive than the ones we are talking about on this board.
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
big apple,

I think that each cruise line needs to recognize that it can't be all things to all people on the dress issue, decide which segment of the market it will serve, set its standards accordingly, and enforce those standards. Of cousre, this may well be happening as a result of passenger comments. I have noticed that Celebrity seems to be enforcing dress standards in the theater as well as in the dining room, probably in response to passenger comments saying that the standards should be enforced. We need to continue to make comments on this on our cruise surveys, though -- noting that we're happy that the line is doing it where we find it being done and or that there's a need for enforcement where we see failures.

Norm.
Great post! Agree with the above...especially the part that a
"a cruise line can't be all things to all people on the dress issue, and needs to decide which segment of the market it will serve,
set its standards accordingly, and enforce those standards."

Seems so obvious now that you said/posted it!
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
big apple,

Norm.
Great post! Agree with the above...especially the part that a
"a cruise line can't be all things to all people on the dress issue, and needs to decide which segment of the market it will serve,
set its standards accordingly, and enforce those standards."

Seems so obvious now that you said/posted it!
Fieldmouse I agreed totally and that's why on formal night I will be wearing my pink tutu, jimmy choo shoes and beehive hairstylist with little stars clips and perals. I look forward to seeing you in the dining room.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994