Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2006, 05:06 PM
First Mate

Default If I don't know by now.....

...what will make my mother's life comfortable and happy then I've wasted alot of years trying to figure out ways to make her life nicer... I certainly don't expect a complete stranger to know......
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old April 18th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Beginner

I do not understand why people make such a big deal about the dress code on these boards. When you are on the ship the crew is highly unlikely to give you a hard time.

I remove my jacket and tie after dinner and no one says a word to me in the thearter or lounges. I dress casually on informal night and notice over half of the other men at dinner are also dressed casually.

Enjoy your cruise and try not to pay to much attention to the dress police on these boards. I know this is not how the dress police would like it but it is how X truly functions at sea.
Old April 21st, 2006, 06:40 PM
Admiral

I do not look good in a dress..unless it's long... (I'm not a skinny minnie with great legs).. i wear long skirts, slacks or palazzo pants... My husband has said after our 50th anniversary cruise he refuses to wear tuxes anymore... so that if he is wearing a navy blazer he's going to be turned away.... They would just have to do that ONCE to us.. and tha would be the beginning of a war....with Celebrity. I do understand why they want to maintain high standards...but some of the women I've seen on Celebrity are WAY over-dressed.. I supposed like valuable jewelry and expensive clothes... if you got it.. flaunt it... So, whose standards are going to be used...... As for your 85 year old mother...well, whatever she wears is going to be fine..My 90 year old sister in law is goign for her first cruise in July... BTW if you don't like how I look....dont look at me.. I'm a large size and when I dress I take special care not to please y ou, but to please ME!!
Old April 21st, 2006, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

My husband has said after our 50th anniversary cruise he refuses to wear tuxes anymore... so that if he is wearing a navy blazer he's going to be turned away.... They would just have to do that ONCE to us.. and tha would be the beginning of a war....with Celebrity.

You cannot win such a war because the cruise line would be on solid legal ground, just like a restaurant ashore who turns away somebody who is not wearing attire that meets its standards. You may choose not to cruise with Celebrity again, but I suspect that the company would rather alienate a few by enforcing standards than alienate the majority of its frequent passengers by not enforcing standards.

That said, I think the real issue is not with people who stretch the dress code a bit on the fringes by wearing a blazer, tie, and slacks on a formal evening. The real issue is people who "dress down" after dinner to show up in what are supposed to be formal venues looking like "poor trash."

... but some of the women I've seen on Celebrity are WAY over-dressed..

I have noted that fact previously on this board, but I also can't find fault with those who want to look their best. For better or worse, a chic cocktail dress that would be quite appropriate for a "formal" evening is nonetheless well within the bounds of Celebrity's "suggested" attire for an "informal" evening.

In any case, the overdressers probably are a solid majority of Celebrity's best customers. You can't beat them....

Norm.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 11:35 AM
Admiral

As far as I'm concerned....appropriate dress for "casual" or "semi-formal"...is in the eyes of the cruiser...exactly WHAT are the differences and who should be the arbiter. I have seen dungarees in a dining room or a gentleman at our table every evening wearing a sweater (on Celebrity btw). On the other hand I love to see on formal night men dressed in tuxes and women in glitzy tops and/or gowns...but I can understand the attitude of some men who say (not my husband)..I wear suits all week long and I want to dress a little more casual than having to wear a tux or a dark suit..If you want to carry the subject further.. how about little children and teens.. Sadly, elegance has disappeared from cruise ships with mass marketing and I too decry this. Let me cruise on a ship that retains it's elegance, that has a crew that has been loyal to the ship and it's passengers.... and trys to retain the days when cruising was "special".. and didn't have rock climbing and ice skating rinks...Don't know where we are cruising again and on what ship...but we will...hopefully this fall on a leisurely trans-Atlantic...with days at sea.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 06:37 PM
First Mate

Norm,You are right on and maybe some on this board need to taka a course from what is appropriate attire when somone sends them an invitation that states "informal" and on the other hand the cruise line is putting it in writing as to how they suggest or require this dress code.Most people understand what is formal even though there are some who want to push the issue.I would like the cruise line to forget the informal nites and change these to "country club casual" and totally forbid jeans and shirts witout a collar.This way many would still wear a coat on some nights with or without a tie.As you know this is the dress codo on Oceania cruise lines and appears to have a good following.With this in mind fomal would either be dark suits or tuxs period.I can remember the days of cruising and we dressed every nite and this was not a problem and yes I also had to wear a coat to work every day.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Boy did I get slammed!! lol. Fortunately I don't take your comments seriously.. We've cruised over 20 times in the past twenty years and that doesn't include land vacations..and I do not travel lightly.. "Country Club Casual"...lol.. since I don't belong to a country club...and never have.. I dress in what I feel is appropriate.. Unfortunately, on one pre-cruise I met so many cruise snobs that as you notice I don't list the cruises I've taken or intend to take...If y ou don't think what I am wearing in your eyes or it's appropriate...sorry... look away....lol You are all so full of yourselves, get over it
Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

As far as I'm concerned....appropriate dress for "casual" or "semi-formal"...is in the eyes of the cruiser...exactly WHAT are the differences and who should be the arbiter.

If you look in a manual of social etiquette (your local library probably has a copy), you will find that the terms "formal," "semiformal," and "informal" have precise meanings in terms of expected dress.

>> "Formal" means "black tie" -- tuxedo or dinner jacket for gentlemen.

>> "Semiformal" means that gentlemen wear business suits, with dress shirts and neckties.

>> "Informal" traditionally meant that gentlemen wore collared shirts, neckties, dress slacks, and sport coats. Society has modified this with the advent of the turtleneck and other knit shirts, so the necktie is now optional.

Most major cruise lines adopted a modified formal standard in the 1970's as an accommodation of the fact that most gentlemen owned business suits, but not "black tie" outfits, at that time. The standards of "semiformal" and "informal," however, remain those of standard social etiquette.

The term "casual" traditionally was less precise, generally referring to any attire that did not include coats and ties for gentlemen. In recent years, our society's dress standards have deteriorated to the point that it's often now necessary to distinguish between degrees of casual attire. Thus, we find terms such as "smart casual," "resort casual," "country club casual," and "business casual" to convey what sort of casual attire one expects.

...but I can understand the attitude of some men who say (not my husband)..I wear suits all week long and I want to dress a little more casual than having to wear a tux or a dark suit

I understand gentlemen who feel that way, too, but I do NOT understand why gentlemen who feel that way would book a vacation package that includes several "formal" and "informal" evenings where the norms of social etiquette dictate that one must wear such attire. There are other options available.

>> Oceana Cruises and Disney Cruise Line offer "all casual" cruises in the "premium" segment of the market, so they should be on par with Celebrity Cruises.

>> Norwegian Cruise Line advertises that formal evenings are optional on their ships.

>> Most of the other major cruise lines have dropped the "semiformal" and "informal" evenings, so one only need dress up on the "formal" evenings. Many of those cruise lines also offer a broader range of casual alternatives, including entertainment, than Celebrity Cruises.

>> There are also cruise lines like Windjammer Barefoot Cruises that are ultra-casual. On these lines, T shirts and shorts are acceptable attire even for dinner.

So why sign up to go where you are expected to do what you don't want to do? You do have control over this!

If you want to carry the subject further.. how about little children and teens.

The dress standards for children and teenagers are the same as for adults. Formalwear is readily available in their sizes, and it's not very expensive. A few weeks ago, I noticed some very nice dresses for young girls in Wal*Mart, priced below twenty dollars.

Sadly, elegance has disappeared from cruise ships with mass marketing and I too decry this. Let me cruise on a ship that retains it's elegance, that has a crew that has been loyal to the ship and it's passengers.... and trys to retain the days when cruising was "special".

Celebrity seems to be trying to reclaim this space in the market. The dress of the participants is a major contributor to the elegance of a formal evening.

... and didn't have rock climbing and ice skating rinks...

I don't see how these daytime activities detract from the elegance of a formal evening, but Celebrity Cruises has not introduced them in any case.

Overall, you seem to be committing the fallacy of treating the entire cruise industry as though it's all the same when in fact there are some pretty radical differences between the major cruise lines. Celebrity is not exactly either Carnival or Costa!

Don't know where we are cruising again and on what ship...but we will...hopefully this fall on a leisurely trans-Atlantic...with days at sea.

I'm with you on this. "At Sea" is invariably the best destination of all!

Norm.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:02 PM
Admiral

big apple,

You are right on...

Thank you for your kind words!

... maybe some on this board need to taka a course from what is appropriate attire when somone sends them an invitation that states "informal"...

Yes, most assuredly.

I actually think that our school systems should teach social etiquette as a required course in each grade level. A class that meets once or twice per week probably would be sufficient, so it could fit into the same time slot as another class that does not meet every day, such as physical education. Also, the school should reinforce the class by requiring students to follow proper social etiquette while on school grounds, riding on school transportation, and participating in school activities. This would, of course, include wearing of appropriate attire for each situation.

I would like the cruise line to forget the informal nites and change these to "country club casual" and totally forbid jeans and shirts witout a collar.This way many would still wear a coat on some nights with or without a tie.As you know this is the dress codo on Oceania cruise lines and appears to have a good following

I have no problem with "country club casual" evenings on a cruise ship, but I have two reservations about your suggestion.

>> 1. The "informal" evenings are a major differentiator on Celebrity because most, if not all, of the other major lines have dropped "informal" or "semiformal" evenings completely.

>> 2. I also think that the "informal" evenings tend to dissuade people who don't want to dress up at all from choosing Celebrity, creating an element of self-selection in the differentiation.

If other lines do something different, they provide more meaningful choice for all of us.

I do think that Celebrity needs to fix the miscommunication that results in conflicting information on proper dress for "informal" evenings, though. Not too long ago, somebody else pointed out that the information on the web site, the information in the pre-cruise package, and the information provided onboard are all different from each other. In the face of such conflict, I take the information provided onboard to be what binds. The information provided onboard says that gentlemen require a shirt with a collar, slacks, and a jacket but no necktie.

I can remember the days of cruising and we dressed every nite and this was not a problem and yes I also had to wear a coat to work every day.

Yes, but another factor in that equation is that ships spent more days at sea on normal cruises years ago. One did not find seven-night cruises with five ports of call. Indeed, the "formal" and "semiformal" or "informal" evenings were always on sea days.

Norm.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I actually think that our school systems should teach social etiquette as a required course in each grade level. A class that meets once or twice per week probably would be sufficient, so it could fit into the same time slot as another class that does not meet every day, such as physical education. Also, the school should reinforce the class by requiring students to follow proper social etiquette while on school grounds, riding on school transportation, and participating in school activities. This would, of course, include wearing of appropriate attire for each situation.
Amen, Norm! Unfortunately, they now spend too much time on discipline issues to teach etiquette. Kind of a "Catch 22", isn't it?

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:33 AM
First Mate

Thanks again norm and I feel we are on trhe same page with most issues.Am not sure why the former poster must mention that she is a size 18 unless this is a reason not to dress up.This topic appears to get the most comments on anyboard and it is fun to show and tell what is appropriate. my final comment is that if your boss told you the attire for work, would you comply with the request?Also might add that casual Friday is under review because of the much too casual attire than what was intented.Last month on Holland I met a gentleman from New Y ork city who had a coat on every nite and I commented how nice he looked and he said this was his attire for any day in the city.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:40 AM
Admiral

That is exactly what is wrong...you expect the schools to teach etiquette, manners, dress codes and how about the parents... where are they.. I find your comments snobbish and elitist. If you ever see Parrot Mom on a cruise... please do NOT introduce yourself..I am what I am...I put on no pretenses. It reminds me of a story when we moved to this city that in the next town where there are two prestigious private schools an elderly gentleman walked along the roads wearing farmers overalls all the time.. It seems this elderly gentleman was he owner of a very,very old and prestigious company.. You seem to want to "judge a book by it's cover"....If you judge people by the way they look and dress your missing out on possibly meeting travelers and people much more interesting than you... and those that "dress" appropriately.. When you put asided your attitude you just might find more fascinating and interesting people...like me!
Old April 23rd, 2006, 03:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Boy did I get slammed!! lol. Fortunately I don't take your comments seriously.. We've cruised over 20 times in the past twenty years and that doesn't include land vacations..and I do not travel lightly.. "Country Club Casual"...lol.. since I don't belong to a country club...and never have.. I dress in what I feel is appropriate.. Unfortunately, on one pre-cruise I met so many cruise snobs that as you notice I don't list the cruises I've taken or intend to take...If y ou don't think what I am wearing in your eyes or it's appropriate...sorry... look away....lol You are all so full of yourselves, get over it
Hi Parrot Mom,
I agreed as a size 16 with a larger then average chest. I can't find bras let alone formal cocktail dresses that look good without a major search. I'm going on my first celebrity cruise in May and finding 3 formal outfits was a pain. But I did it to conform to the dress code.

The thing no one goes on and on about is a formal cocktail dress with a hairstyle that is messy. I was a hairstylist for 14 years and nothing for me messes up my formal night like bad hair. My outfit my not be to your taste but my hair will be beauiful. I want them to add a dress code that requires combed hair in the dining room on formal night.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:56 AM
Admiral

katlady--where were you when I needed you.(just saw your site).lol.. Well, I have beaten you on size, but you will find that dept. stores,specialty stores, outlets carry plus sizes.. My best buys for formal clothes have been AFTER New Years when dressy items go on sale....You will find that there are many, many catalogs that offer plus sizes if that is what you need..Silouette comes to mind as well as Lane Bryant and Pennys.. I personall have no problem with formal clothes.. it's what people are calling "informal or country club casual"

On our last cruise because it was more than two weeks plus a pre-cruise we had five suitcases, plus carry ons...coming home we had take off art work, plus one more suitcase...lol... Finally and I mean finally.. I learned that black palazzo or silky pants go very far.
Since my hair is worn simply that is not a problem UNLESS we are invited to the Captains Table and then I rush to the beauty salon..hoping they do a decent job. As it turns out we do resort vacations in the winter so I always have "good" clothes that can be worn either at a resort or on a ship.. parrotmom@comcast.net if you need more resources
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:21 PM
First Mate

Parrot lady,I do not believe Norm is judging anyone by their dress attire and he is only attempting to explain to you and others what the cruise line is attempting to put in writing and enforcing their requirements.I for one do not care what you wear as long as it fits the guidelines established by the cruise line.Norm has given an excellent description of each of the codes for the various nites and out of respect for your fellow passengers one should make an effort to follow these guidelines.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 02:32 PM
Admiral

sorry Big Apple... I don't agree...If feel Norm would like to check my suitcases and clothes before I leave my cabin to make sure I'm dressed appropriately.. and yes, I love dressing up....now being retired for more than 10 years I love and appreciate cruising and the opportunity to dress and show off. My only problem is cutting down on the suitcases and clothes and jewelry I bring...."in case"... But then again...who is he and what do I care what he thinks. I do not act my age, nor do I want to....Parrot Mom is known on travel boards...lol.. they tell me.. and I am known for telling it like it is...warts and all.. With six parrots to take care of and a husband I can't take life seriously...I plan to go down fighting to the last minute and traveling as long as I can..even if its someday in a wheelchair or with a walker
Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

That is exactly what is wrong...you expect the schools to teach etiquette, manners, dress codes and how about the parents... where are they..

I expect parents to be parents, but many today are not.

Backing up a step, you cannot expect immigrants who come here from other cultures to know all the nuances of social ettiquette in the United States, which is predominantly European. Also, you cannot expect that children whose parents are drunks and drug addicts to fulfill their responsibilities. I'm not one who thinks that schools can and should cure all of our social ills, but it is possible to teach social etiquette in a classroom so it's naturally within the school's province. I do expect schools to equip young people to function as responsible adults in society, and observance of social etiquette is part of functioning in society.

I find your comments snobbish and elitist.

That's unfortunate, but it's also your issue -- not mine.

If you ever see Parrot Mom on a cruise... please do NOT introduce yourself..

I presume that there won't be a problem since Celebrity obviously is not a good match for you.

am what I am...I put on no pretenses.

*ROF* Why does this sound like the pot calling the kettle black?

You claim to put on no pretenses while projecting incredulous arrogance.

Why don't you shout from the rooftops that you don't have to follow the rules because you are better than everybody else? It would at least be a honest.

Humility demands that we show respect for others by conforming to rules that apply equally to everybody.

It reminds me of a story when we moved to this city that in the next town where there are two prestigious private schools an elderly gentleman walked along the roads wearing farmers overalls all the time.. It seems this elderly gentleman was he owner of a very,very old and prestigious company.. You seem to want to "judge a book by it's cover"....If you judge people by the way they look and dress your missing out on possibly meeting travelers and people much more interesting than you... and those that "dress" appropriately..

You are completely misreading this situation. What's at issue here is not the way one dresses. What's at issue here is one's attitude and one's conduct, manifest by failure to follow the dress prescribed by the line.

When you put asided your attitude you just might find more fascinating and interesting people...like me!

There you go again. You think that you are more fascinating and interesting than the people that I do meet routinely.

Pardon me for saying so, but your poop is not ice cream.

Norm.
Old April 24th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Admiral

katlady,

I agreed as a size 16 with a larger then average chest. I can't find bras let alone formal cocktail dresses that look good without a major search. I'm going on my first celebrity cruise in May and finding 3 formal outfits was a pain. But I did it to conform to the dress code.

Thank you for putting in the effort to find suitable clothing! I hope that the full experience of Celebrity's formal evenings makes your effort worthwhile. Of course, you'll also have the outfits for whatever cruises you take in the future. There's no real problem with wearing the same formal outfits on another cruise because you won't be travelling with the same passengers.

The thing no one goes on and on about is a formal cocktail dress with a hairstyle that is messy. I was a hairstylist for 14 years and nothing for me messes up my formal night like bad hair. My outfit my not be to your taste but my hair will be beauiful. I want them to add a dress code that requires combed hair in the dining room on formal night.

Well said! Grooming is a significant part of proper dress.

I would note, however, that many of the worst 'dos that I have seen are contemporary 'dos promoted and executed by hair stylists in chic salons....

Norm.
Old April 24th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Admiral

Norm...your just so full of yourself....lol... and btw I will be cruising Celebrity or which ever cruise line I wish, except for RC....i'd love to just poke you with a pin and see the hot air come out..lol....Parrot Pop and I were invited by one of the Century staff to have cocktails with them one evening after they finished work.. The young woman was extremely grateful to have a courteous couple whose problem she had solved. Do I thnk I'm better than anybody else... on the contrary..NO.. If you got to meet me you'd know us as a warm and welcoming couple who want to meet people of all ages. Obviously, I've been around this earth many more years than you have and the most important lesson I have learned as a "white head" is that don't sweat the small stuff and everything is "small stuff"..Relax and enjoy your life, don't take things seriously. This is my last word on your petty diatribe
Old April 24th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Admiral

P.S. JUST SAw the 20078 and 2008 itineraries and we will definetely be in Europe..on a cruise
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
katlady,

Thank you for putting in the effort to find suitable clothing! I hope that the full experience of Celebrity's formal evenings makes your effort worthwhile. Of course, you'll also have the outfits for whatever cruises you take in the future. There's no real problem with wearing the same formal outfits on another cruise because you won't be travelling with the same passengers.

Well said! Grooming is a significant part of proper dress.

I would note, however, that many of the worst 'dos that I have seen are contemporary 'dos promoted and executed by hair stylists in chic salons....

Norm.
Thank you Norm On the Hairstyle you and me are talking about to different things. It drives me crazy to see a lady in a full length elegant beaded dress and it looks like she combed her hair with an egg beater. But I also have seen what you are talking about. The hairstyle is suppose to be "modern" but instead it looks ridiculous. But those people at least made an effort.

Thanks, also to Parrot Mom for the great list of stores I did in fact get one formal outfit from Lane Byrant. But the most shocking thing of me was the increase in plus size formal gowns at Nordstrom. My favorite black cocktail dress was from Nordstrom. I think the stores may now understand that everyone isn't a size 5.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Admiral

katlady...just helped a very reluctant friend buy a long, black, petite skirt...through the JC Penny's catalog...Nordstrom's has not opened here YET and although we are ourside a major city in the N.E. we are fortunate that Ihave many alternatives, including catalogs not to mention shops that specialize in plus sizes. If you need websites please write to me and I'll send them to you.. you'd love Just My Size and Silouettes... parrotmom@!comcast.net
Old April 24th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Admiral

katlady,

On the Hairstyle you and me are talking about to different things. It drives me crazy to see a lady in a full length elegant beaded dress and it looks like she combed her hair with an egg beater.

You're absolutely right about that look, but I can't say that I recall seeing it on a cruise. I like your description, though -- very humerous!

But the most shocking thing of me was the increase in plus size formal gowns at Nordstrom. My favorite black cocktail dress was from Nordstrom. I think the stores may now understand that everyone isn't a size 5.

There are two trends that are conspiring in your favor. The first is that there are a lot more "plus size" people in this country now than a few years ago. The second is that there's a lot more demand for true formal attire, partly due to the growth of the cruise industry and partly due to the recent popularity of formal events as fundraisers for various charities.

Actually, most bridal shops carry a good selection of "plus size" formalwear, too., because the mothers of many brides and bridegrooms are often in the "plus size" category. The only drawback to this source is that bridal shops tend to charge full price because their volume of sales is pretty low. OTOH, they do provide value added in making sure that the garments fit correctly and the styles are becoming for the individual.

Norm.
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
katlady...just helped a very reluctant friend buy a long, black, petite skirt...through the JC Penny's catalog...Nordstrom's has not opened here YET and although we are ourside a major city in the N.E. we are fortunate that Ihave many alternatives, including catalogs not to mention shops that specialize in plus sizes. If you need websites please write to me and I'll send them to you.. you'd love Just My Size and Silouettes... parrotmom@!comcast.net
Hi Parrot Mom I tried to e-mail you using the parrotmom@!comcast.net but it didn't work. Do I have the address wrong.

Hi Norm,
I didn't try the bridal shops for two reasons one price two I'm in my 30's and was concerned that a mother of the bride dress would be a style suited to an older person.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Admiral

it's parrotmom@comcast.net... I mispelled..lol
Old April 25th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Admiral

katlady,

Hi Parrot Mom I tried to e-mail you using the parrotmom@!comcast.net but it didn't work. Do I have the address wrong.

There's a stray exclamation point after tha "at" symbol. IIRC, the only punctuation marks allowed in domain names are hyphens (-) and underscores (_). The periods (.) are domain delimiters, and thus not part of the name, so "comcast.com" is the "comcast" subdomain within the "com" main domain.

I didn't try the bridal shops for two reasons one price two I'm in my 30's and was concerned that a mother of the bride dress would be a style suited to an older person.

The second issue might not be as problematic as you think. A lot of mothers of brides are in their thirtys -- sometimes even low thirtys -- now, but you also probably could get dresses designed for "plus size" bridesmaids and matrons of honor -- there are a lot of them now, too. As to the price issue, you might find some deals when they change over the lines.

This is also the time of year when stores should be selling prom dresses, and there are a lot of "plus size" high shcool stodents whi will want to go to their proms so the "prom dresses" should be readily available in "plus" sizes.

I should also mention that consignment and thrift shops often get formal dresses that have been worn only once or twice, so they also can be a very good source of affordable formalwear. Of course, there's no way to predict when they will get such items.

Norm.
Old April 28th, 2006, 06:37 PM
First Mate

Default OK...just got back from 9 nights on Constellation...

So, here's my fashion report.......

I noticed alot of pantsuits and pants with nice tops on formal night (yup, it looks as though Mom will fit right in with her nice pantsuit). We were invited to the Captains Club cocktail party and I wore a nice cocktail dress. There were tons of people there and only a handful of cocktail dresses.....lots of slacks and resort wear. I was amazed as I thought it was a "cocktail" party.

Many of the passengers changed out of formal wear after dinner (I didn't). We saw jeans in the bars and casinos on formal night. It didn't bother me a bit. I was dressed to the hilt and only noted the different clothing worn so I could report back to the board...

So......guess the fashion police were off duty....
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
2/25/08 Fascination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old April 28th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Admiral

'FORMAL WEAR
Men: Tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit, tie
Women: A dressy outfit, formal gown or cocktail dress"

What is a 'dressy outfit". and what is a "cocktail dress".? Who are the clothes arbiters..lol.. I myself DO NOT like sequinned tops... I wonder if somebody stands there with a loupe to see if the diamonds I wear are real or cz's or if the pearls are fake (they aren't).. Over the years I've discovered there are many ways to dress elegantly...and understated is one of many...lol

Thanks popsec
Old April 28th, 2006, 07:12 PM
First Mate

Parrot Mom, I'd enjoy chatting with you anytime so hope some day we run into each other on a cruise
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
2/25/08 Fascination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old April 28th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Thanks.. had been checking out trans-atlantic on the Constellation but I think it was all booked...lol... waited too late, but we will be booking in January... BTW if you are going to Barcelona let me know, have I got a guide/driver and boutique hotel (lots of cruisers going on Celebrity)...