Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Hi popsec,

Welcome back! I'm glad you found that your Mom's outfit will be fine for her cruise!

Hope you had a wonderful time on your cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 28th, 2006, 07:23 PM
First Mate

Had a super time...loved the Constellation and will post a review after I'm done getting back to reality We had 8 1/2 of the 9 days of sunshine and gorgeous weather. We were lucky as the 12 day cruise before us had 9 out of 12 days of rain!
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old April 29th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Thanks.. had been checking out trans-atlantic on the Constellation but I think it was all booked...lol... waited too late, but we will be booking in January... BTW if you are going to Barcelona let me know, have I got a guide/driver and boutique hotel (lots of cruisers going on Celebrity)...
Hi Parrot Mom.
If you go on the Dec 1 2006 14 Night Westbound Transatlantic Cruise Onboard Galaxy. You get a stop in Madeira (Funchal), Portugal. Which is more correct to say Madeira Island, Portugal. Funchal is the capital of Madeira. My Dad was from there and came here legally when he was 17 years old. I have been to that island and it's beauiful. Also if you go near Christmas time there are folk groups that give performances on the street and the whole island is fixed up for the holiday. If you do go. There is a basket weaving factory in Camacha. Santana also is a most see in Madeira Island Santana has the small thatched triangular houses. It's hard to explain. I can e-mail you a good internet link if you are interested.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 29th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Admiral

Thank you.. we have put our fall cruising on hold after a serious discussion (we were minutes away from booking the NCL Dream), alhtough it wasn't the ship, it was the itinerary which wasn't exciting and the fact I'd rather go to our winter vacation site i February and plan a really exciting cruise for next fall, plus there are three large projects I'm hoping to gt to this fall in and outside the house. There wasn't much of a selection for us, but next fall I've checked out the new itineraries and will let you know.. The information you have given me has wetted my appetite.
Old April 30th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Passenger

On the Constellation a short but goo menu with full table service. A part of the aft section of the buffet area is "roped off" and is complete with table clothes, etc. Good, but limited selection.
littlemoe
Old April 30th, 2006, 11:42 AM
First Mate

We loved the casual dining! Had a super fun waiter named Paul every night we went in there and a perfect table for 2 by the window....great for watching the sunset over the ocean!
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
2/25/08 Fascination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old April 30th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Beginner

All in all this topic comes down to one thing. My money spends as well as anyone elses no matter how we are dressed. I believe in dressing well for dinner without going to extremes. I highly doubt any cruiseline would turn away any paid passenger from dinner. If they would like to stay around that is. Times are changing folks....roll with it or get rolled over.
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Admiral

katlady,

If you go on the Dec 1 2006 14 Night Westbound Transatlantic Cruise Onboard Galaxy. You get a stop in Madeira (Funchal), Portugal. Which is more correct to say Madeira Island, Portugal. Funchal is the capital of Madeira. My Dad was from there and came here legally when he was 17 years old. I have been to that island and it's beauiful. Also if you go near Christmas time there are folk groups that give performances on the street and the whole island is fixed up for the holiday. If you do go. There is a basket weaving factory in Camacha. Santana also is a most see in Madeira Island Santana has the small thatched triangular houses. It's hard to explain. I can e-mail you a good internet link if you are interested.

I have been to Funchal twice -- aboard GTS Millennium in November 2004 and aboard MV Galaxy in October 2005. It's a fantastic port of call. The island of Madeira has a LOT of character and many unique attractions, as well as a chance to sample the famous Madeira wines. For those who do not know, Madeira wines come in four different varieties, two of which are served as aperatifs and the other two of which are served as dessert wines. Funchal's downtown also is a great place to go shopping.

Most crossings also include other ports of call that are not on the standard European or Mediterranian itineraries. My crossing aboard GTS Millenium called at the Crown Colony of Gibraltar, which also proved to be a fascinating port of call with many unique attractions. My crossing aboard MV Galaxy called at Malaga, Spain, which is the port for Grenada and thus the gateway to Alhambra, the last Moorish castle to fall to Ferdinand and Isabella in 1492.

I should also point out that some crossings have other itineraries, with ports of call in places like Greenland and Iceland or in the AƧores or the Canary Islands rather than in Funchal.

Norm.
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Hi Norm
I'm glad you liked your stay in Funchal. I'm very proud of that island. I went there with my family we stayed 2 weeks. We got to visit relatives. All my Madeira Island relatives make some type of homemade liquor from fruits they grow. My dad makes a very good homemade wine from grapes he grows.

Because of this my suggestions would be different from the cruise lines.
For example if I went back again some of the foods I would eat are: Cherimoya Fruit, Black Scabbard fish "Espadaā€? and Madeira Honey Cake "Bolo de Mel ". These foods are unique to the island and you can't easily get them in America.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Katlady,

I'm glad you liked your stay in Funchal. I'm very proud of that island. I went there with my family we stayed 2 weeks. We got to visit relatives. All my Madeira Island relatives make some type of homemade liquor from fruits they grow. My dad makes a very good homemade wine from grapes he grows.

Because of this my suggestions would be different from the cruise lines.
For example if I went back again some of the foods I would eat are: Cherimoya Fruit, Black Scabbard fish "Espadaā€? and Madeira Honey Cake "Bolo de Mel ". These foods are unique to the island and you can't easily get them in America.

Yes. I grew up with some Portutuese cuisine because my mom's side of the family emmigrated from the AƧores (mom's mom was born on Sao Miguel; her dad in the States), but there are dishes unique to each region based on local catch and local harvest.

I found the political evolution to be even more interesting, as the Madeira Islands and the AƧores are now self-governing internally, with foreign affairs still run out of Lisboa. It appears to be a similar set-up to that of Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles within the Kingdom of the Netherlands. One of the tour guides referred to the island group as "the Republic of Madeira" at one point, but I don't know whether his comment was optimistic or disparaging.

Anyway, Funchal was a great port of call!

BTW, did you get to ride one of the sleds into Funchal?

Norm.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well Norm, you tryed.. What else can any one do.. You gave it your best shot and it just went over her head.. I am glad to see that Celebrity is tighting their dress code.. I wish that all cruise lines would do the same.. One thing that I don't like is when people go back to their room after the formal meal and dress down for the show in shorts and baseball caps..OM.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Old Man,

Well Norm, you tryed.. What else can any one do..

Sometimes you just have to drop back ten and punt!

am glad to see that Celebrity is tighting their dress code.. I wish that all cruise lines would do the same.. One thing that I don't like is when people go back to their room after the formal meal and dress down for the show in shorts and baseball caps..

I think that we're on the same page here!

Norm.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:04 PM
Admiral

[/quote] I grew up with some Portutuese cuisine because my mom's side of the family emmigrated from the AƧores (mom's mom was born on Sao Miguel; her dad in the States), but there are dishes unique to each region based on local catch and local harvest.

I found the political evolution to be even more interesting, as the Madeira Islands and the AƧores are now self-governing internally, with foreign affairs still run out of Lisboa. It appears to be a similar set-up to that of Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles within the Kingdom of the Netherlands. One of the tour guides referred to the island group as "the Republic of Madeira" at one point, but I don't know whether his comment was optimistic or disparaging.

Anyway, Funchal was a great port of call!

BTW, did you get to ride one of the sleds into Funchal?

Norm.[/quote]
I didn't try the sled in Funchal I will admit I was 19 years old at that time and I was more interested in the 18 year old drinking age. Ah 19 years old it has been a while since I was in Funchal. What's your favorite portuguese dish mine's Carne Vinho De Alhos. I have a good recipe for it. My DH is American but it didn't take me long to get him to like that dish.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:06 PM
Admiral

Katlady,

What's your favorite portuguese dish

My mom used to make a great dish of chicken with rice (I don't know the Portuguese name for it), but there's nothing like a good piece of sherice! (Do I have the correct spelling?)

Norm.
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Katlady,

What's your favorite portuguese dish

My mom used to make a great dish of chicken with rice (I don't know the Portuguese name for it), but there's nothing like a good piece of sherice! (Do I have the correct spelling?)

Norm.
My Avo (grandmother) makes a great soup with chicken, rice and tomatos it also has no formal name and I love it. However, your spelling is either off on sherice or it's a regional dish because I even took out the the food of portugal cookbook and can't find it. Please describe the dish and I may know it.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Admiral

katlady,

My Avo (grandmother) makes a great soup with chicken, rice and tomatos it also has no formal name and I love it. However, your spelling is either off on sherice or it's a regional dish because I even took out the the food of portugal cookbook and can't find it. Please describe the dish and I may know it.

It's a sausage, similar in shape to linguiƧa but much spicier.

I guess my spelling was WAY out. I found an article on the 'net (http://www.s-t.com/daily/08-98/08-16-98/d01bu141.htm) that refers to a Portuguese sausage spelled "chouriƧo" -- which, when spoken, would sound very similar to my attempt at phonetic spelling. In fact, the outfit described in the article might well be the company from which Mom's cousins in Bristol, Rhode Island, bought the sausages that they served when we got together for holidays and special events. I sure don't recall them pronouncing the final "o" of "chouriƧo," though!

Norm.
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Admiral

[/quote]It's a sausage, similar in shape to linguiƧa but much spicier.

I guess my spelling was WAY out. I found an article on the 'net (http://www.s-t.com/daily/08-98/08-16-98/d01bu141.htm) that refers to a Portuguese sausage spelled "chouriƧo" -- which, when spoken, would sound very similar to my attempt at phonetic spelling. In fact, the outfit described in the article might well be the company from which Mom's cousins in Bristol, Rhode Island, bought the sausages that they served when we got together for holidays and special events. I sure don't recall them pronouncing the final "o" of "chouriƧo," though!

Norm.[/quote]
Ok I know chourico in California Baker's Square restuarant makes a chourico skillet breakfast it's yummy. You can use either Chourico or linguica in Kale soup. As a kid my mom would go to San Leandro linguica factory and we would get the linguica for kale soup. here's a link to Santo Linguisa factory http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...20/SAUSAGE.TMP since my old linguica maker went crazy and shot 3 meat inspectors I'm looking for a new place. I have been looking for turkey linguica hope they deliver to California. Have you been to a Holy Ghost festa and had soupas?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Admiral

katlady,

have been looking for turkey linguica hope they deliver to California.

The place that I linked did mention turkey lincuiƧa, so you might contact them and ask if they can ship it. They are in an area on the Massachusetts-Rhode Island line that has a HUGE Portuguese population, so their products probably are pretty authentic.

Have you been to a Holy Ghost festa and had soupas?

I probably got to a Holy Ghost festa somewhere along the way, though many years ago. Mom was very close to her side of the family, so we went to a lot of those events, when I was young but less so as I grew older.

And with Mom's extended family, I have thoroughly enjoyed "soupas" on many, many occasions. Unfortunately, I'm no longer allowed any kind of soup with a meat, fish, poultry, etc, due to a medical issue.

Norm.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
katlady,

have been looking for turkey linguica hope they deliver to California.

The place that I linked did mention turkey lincuiƧa, so you might contact them and ask if they can ship it. They are in an area on the Massachusetts-Rhode Island line that has a HUGE Portuguese population, so their products probably are pretty authentic.

Have you been to a Holy Ghost festa and had soupas?

I probably got to a Holy Ghost festa somewhere along the way, though many years ago. Mom was very close to her side of the family, so we went to a lot of those events, when I was young but less so as I grew older.

And with Mom's extended family, I have thoroughly enjoyed "soupas" on many, many occasions. Unfortunately, I'm no longer allowed any kind of soup with a meat, fish, poultry, etc, due to a medical issue.

Norm.
The Holy Ghost festa is the one with the parade from the church the little girls are wearing the beautiful gowns they are holding the cages with doves inside. It's a hard one to miss. Sorry, to hear about your medical issue no meat, fish or poutry will leave out a lot of portuguese dishes.

My DH and I leave on a cruise in 13 days and he decided to check his dark formal night suit today to discover it was a little tight. We went tux shopping today and I found out you can purchase a gently worn tux for under 200 dollars that includes everything but the shoes. I thought I would pass it on for those of us the are watching our finances.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Admiral

katlady,

Sorry, to hear about your medical issue no meat, fish or poutry will leave out a lot of portuguese dishes.

Actually, meat, fish, poultry, etc., are fine, so long as they are lean (but no clams and no organ meats. The problem is soups, gravies, and broths made from these ingredients.

My DH and I leave on a cruise in 13 days and he decided to check his dark formal night suit today to discover it was a little tight. We went tux shopping today and I found out you can purchase a gently worn tux for under 200 dollars that includes everything but the shoes. I thought I would pass it on for those of us the are watching our finances.

Yes. Deals on men's formalwear have been a subject of discussion on the "Cruise Dress and Packing" board from time to time.

>> 1. Most tuxedo rental outfits can rent formalwear only a few times before it develops very slight fading that would be noticeable, for example, in a wedding party and in the wedding photos. Thus, they sell "almost new" garments that have considerable useful life for "stand-alone" wear at significant discounts.

>> 2. Liquidators like Building 19 in eastern Massachusetts and Railroad Salvage in Connecticut often get inventories of perfectly good formalwear from insurance auctions or other sources. They may also get manufactuers' overruns and, occasionally, "seconds" with defects that don't show.

If one checks each of these sources frequently, one will find tuxedos and dinner jacket outfits in one's size at prices substantially below normal retail.

For ladies, thrift shops and consignment shops sell formalwear worn once or twice at very good prices.

Norm.
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

So what happened.. Did Popsec mom get in to the formal dinning room or not?? Did she wear a dress or pants?? I seems that the post got in to some food subject and got off of Mom.. Did they not eat at the formal dinning roon at all?? Golly gee, we all want to know..OM
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Hi OM,

Popsec and her Mom haven't gone on their cruise yet, but here's what she said about her last cruise on Celebrity (emphasis mine):

Quote:
So, here's my fashion report.......

I noticed alot of pantsuits and pants with nice tops on formal night (yup, it looks as though Mom will fit right in with her nice pantsuit). We were invited to the Captains Club cocktail party and I wore a nice cocktail dress. There were tons of people there and only a handful of cocktail dresses.....lots of slacks and resort wear. I was amazed as I thought it was a "cocktail" party.

Many of the passengers changed out of formal wear after dinner (I didn't). We saw jeans in the bars and casinos on formal night. It didn't bother me a bit. I was dressed to the hilt and only noted the different clothing worn so I could report back to the board...

So......guess the fashion police were off duty....
Popsec and I think that "Mom" will be fine on her cruise!

Sea Princess 2014
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:28 PM
First Mate

Yup, only a week til our cruise. I'll be sure to report back on whether her outfits were considered acceptable. I'm sure the big smile on her face will make up for the fact that she's not as "formal" as some would like. We're planning to go and have a great time.
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
2/25/08 Fascination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsec
Yup, only a week til our cruise. I'll be sure to report back on whether her outfits were considered acceptable. I'm sure the big smile on her face will make up for the fact that she's not as "formal" as some would like. We're planning to go and have a great time.
Hi popsec,
The most important thing is the smile on her face with that happy smile no one will care if she is not as "formal". After all it is a vacation and is meant to be enjoyed. I leave for my cruise to Alaska on Infinity in 9 days I so excited.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:59 PM
First Mate

Hope you have an absolutely wonderful cruise, katlady!
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
2/25/08 Fascination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Passenger

All I can and will say is WOW!!!! I was unaware that Celebrity had appointed someone to be a womens clothing cop on board any of the ships.
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:14 PM
First Mate

More like self-appointed fashion police. So far, we've only met the nicest people on our cruises and haven't run into any of the "fashion police". Hope they can manage to take time off from their self-appointed fashion critique-ing to enjoy their cruise
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
2/25/08 Fascination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

I can hardly wait to hear if Mom gets to eat...
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:50 PM
First Mate

Since I never said we'd be going into the dining room on formal night, there's no reason why she wouldn't get to eat I merely started this thread because I wanted to know about the alternative casual dining for formal nights.....
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
2/25/08 Fascination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I merely started this thread because I wanted to know about the alternative casual dining for formal nights.....
Little did you know...