Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Passenger

Default Zenith Question

I recently spoke to my travel agent about taking one of the cruises on the Zenith from NJ to Bermuda. The ship stops there for five days, making it an affordable way to visit a place that is otherwise way out of my price range. She told me that I dont want to cruise on the Zenith because after being on the Century and Constellation I will be greatly disappointed in the age and condition of the ship. Is it that bad? I dont need all the glitter and grandeur that I enjoyed on the Connie...just good food and a clean place to sleep while enjoying the Bermuda beaches! Plus I really liked the small size of the Century. I cant imagine Celebrity would continue to use her if she is that bad, just not their style. Any comments out there, my knowledgeable cruisers?????
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:33 PM
First Mate

I loved the Zenith..we were on her the end of Feb. The crew and food were exceptional. It doesn't have the glitz of the Connie but it feels more cozy and we met so many more people on the Zenith. I booked a 7 night cruise to Bermuda with my Mom on the 20th of this month. If you get hung up on a missing tile by the pool or spots of rust in places you probably won't like the Zenith. However, if you're going to have a good time enjoying Bermuda and the superb Celebrity service, you'll have a grand trip! JMHO
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:02 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info...a missing tile never could ruin a trip for me! Actually I remember seeing you both on the Connie cruise...loved your wife's (or your) gown..it was gorgeous!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the kind words on my gown!...it was the 1st formal dress I ever owned (I was a hippie during prom years )

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Zenith if you decide to go!

Linda
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
2/25/08 Fascination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:30 PM
Passenger

I know what you mean Linda, it was tough for me to even put a long skirt on for formal night! The gown idea is fun though, where else can you go and wear it and be cinderella for the night??? Please be sure to post your thoughts on your upcoming trip, would love to know what you do in Bermuda. I am wondering how expensive the public beaches are as we love to just hang out at the beach all day!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Patty,

I recently spoke to my travel agent about taking one of the cruises on the Zenith from NJ to Bermuda. The ship stops there for five days, making it an affordable way to visit a place that is otherwise way out of my price range. She told me that I dont want to cruise on the Zenith because after being on the Century and Constellation I will be greatly disappointed in the age and condition of the ship. Is it that bad? I dont need all the glitter and grandeur that I enjoyed on the Connie...just good food and a clean place to sleep while enjoying the Bermuda beaches! Plus I really liked the small size of the Century. I cant imagine Celebrity would continue to use her if she is that bad, just not their style. Any comments out there, my knowledgeable cruisers?????

My travel agent retruned from a gruise aboard MV Zenith and said that the crew was bending over backward apologizing for the fact that the ship did not have all of the amenities and activities of the line's newer vessels. She said that she told them that it was not a problem because they still had what really mattered -- Celebrity's great service. If you go with realistic expectations, knowing that a smaller ship does not have the same facilities with which to offer the same smogasboard of activities, you probably will have a great time. If you are going to go with the expectation of finding all of the facilities and ameniteis of a newer and larger vessel and spend all your time complaining about what's lacking, please stay home. I doubt that any of the other passengers will want a complainer to spoil their cruise.

Norm.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:05 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty123
I know what you mean Linda, it was tough for me to even put a long skirt on for formal night! The gown idea is fun though, where else can you go and wear it and be cinderella for the night??? Please be sure to post your thoughts on your upcoming trip, would love to know what you do in Bermuda. I am wondering how expensive the public beaches are as we love to just hang out at the beach all day!
Thanks!...and I'll let you know abt the Bermuda trip and beaches after I return.
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
2/25/08 Fascination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser

I sailed the Zenith in 98 and her sister the former Horizon in 90 and 91. I recently went on a TA tour of the Zenith in 05. I have to say she did look worn but she went into a refurb after I saw her however I really liked the Horizon and Zenith. I have sailed on newer ships like the Infinity but I really enjoy the Zenith's size. She was built and designed on a personal scale. I would say go and take the cruise as long as you are aware it is an older smaller ship NOT that it is a bad feature! Do this cruise NOW!!!! Because in the future I dont think we will see ships that are the Zenith's size cruising to Bermuda. The benefit is that you get to dock in the town of Hamilton and St. George. Especially in Hamilton you walk off the ship and literaly you are in the "hub" of Hamilton. Other bigger ships like RCI's Explorer can only dock at Kings Wharf which is not in the center of the island. Go and enjoy!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:10 AM
Passenger

If you are going to go with the expectation of finding all of the facilities and ameniteis of a newer and larger vessel and spend all your time complaining about what's lacking, please stay home. I doubt that any of the other passengers will want a complainer to spoil their cruise.

Norm.

Wow Norm, did not expect a reply like this from you...I am the last person to ever complain and I bend over backwards to thank every staff person for working so hard for me! Just wanted a true idea of what to expect for my hard earned money. That's it! I am glad that the other people on this board got it and just answered me without the sarcasm.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:41 AM
First Mate

I, also, was surprised by the nastiness of Norm's reply......maybe he needs a cruise to sweeten him up
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
2/25/08 Fascination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Patty, some people are not satisfied unless they have something sarcastic to say. Just ignore it. ifNorm had read your post completely he would have seen you had said that you didn't care if it was not as the larger ships etc. If its a good deal, and you live close to the port, I'd jump on it. We live in Florida now, DH can't fly so we have to take what we can from Florida ports, Celebrity is our cruise ship of choice and has been for over 10 years. bon Voyage and enjoy the Zenith.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:40 PM
Passenger

Thanks, Jeanne. I guess he does need a cruise to cheer him up..dont we all! Looks like you are going to get one very soon! Have a wonderful time!!!!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Patty,

Wow Norm, did not expect a reply like this from you...I am the last person to ever complain and I bend over backwards to thank every staff person for working so hard for me! Just wanted a true idea of what to expect for my hard earned money. That's it! I am glad that the other people on this board got it and just answered me without the sarcasm.

I'm sorry that my hasty composition came across the wrong way. I obviously don't know you at all (and had not read all of your intervening posts when I responded to the first), so it seemed necessary to cover all possibilities, so I addressed both extremes. Please note the dual construct in my original post: "If you go with realistic expectations... If you are going to go with the expectation of finding all of the facilities and ameniteis of a newer and larger vessel..." to allow you to decide where you fit on the scale.

In retrospect, my wording on the latter point should have been a lot more tactful. "If you are going to go with the expectation of finding all of the facilities and amenities of a newer and larger vessel, your travel agent's advice is sound." would have been quite sufficient as a conclusion to the paragraph.

Again, my sincere apologies.

Norm.
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Beginner

Default zenith

I recently was on the Zenith 4/29/06-5/6/06. The boat itself is in need of a little remodeling.But the staff could not be replaced.Given the different nationalitys that are aboard the ship, I think the do a super job of trying to keep everyone happy and comfortable. For anyone to keep a continuious smile on their face has my vote. Ecspecially with the 600 old bingo bittys who just love to gripe. The food , has a variety to choose from. You can do buffet of sit down. I personally do not care for (fufu food) anything fancy or french cuisine. My family and I eat out alot, mostly steak palors. So this was a bit of a change.Not a bad change, I loved the breakfast buffet. Lunch was good to. When we arrived in Bermuda we ate on shore for lunch and dinner. Just because I wanted to see what the island had to offer. Thumbs up them to.
The service is what touched me the most , because they made you feel like one big happy family.Being in the US, and from NY smiling nice , polite people are hard to come by.I own a couple of businesses and deal with the public eveyday, the service on board gave me faith in humanity. 2 of them will always be remembered by me, Wilson from Honduras on Europa Deck , who brought my kids candy each night before saying good- night to us, and Diego from Chile a sever who delivered Diet cokes, to me everywhere I seemed to go. He even had enough deceincy to seek me out to say good bye before we left. I actually am looking into going again soon. Maybe before the end of this season.
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just booked a cruise on the Zenith for January 2007.

I was wondering how the Zenith compares to the Galaxy?

We sailed the Galaxy last summer in the Med and it was fabulous. Loved her size and everything was up to Celebrity standards. Yes, she needs to go into drydock for a make-over like the Century is having done. Don't think that's in Celebrity's plans right now. Sounds like the Zenith could use some fixing up and redecorating too. When you think that those ships are sailing 365 days a year, around the clock, they are in pretty good condition.

I look at the entire cruise experience - not the broken tiles and old worn chairs - Dollar for dollar Celebrity delivers a wonderful cruising experience. I am looking forward to spending 10 days on the Zenith in January!
Summit 11/01
Millennium 2/02
Mercury 11/02
Star Princess 3/03
Zuiderdam 8/03
Century 10/03
Voyager of the Seas 2/04
Regal Princess 7/04
Zaandam 12/04
Galaxy 9/05
Infinity 1/06
Jewel of the Seas 8/06
Zenith 1/07
Adventure of the Sea 9/07
Insigna 3/08
Solstice 11/08
NCL Jade 5/09
Diamond Princess 8/09
Oceania Ragetta 11/09
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:54 PM
First Mate

I'd have no qualms going on the Zenith anytime....I love the smaller, cozy ship and great service!
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
2/25/08 Fascination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old June 7th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Zenith Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty123
She told me that I dont want to cruise on the Zenith because after being on the Century and Constellation I will be greatly disappointed in the age and condition of the ship. Is it that bad? I dont need all the glitter and grandeur that I enjoyed on the Connie...just good food and a clean place to sleep while enjoying the Bermuda beaches! Plus I really liked the small size of the Century.
I haven't sailed the Zenith recently so obviously cannot comment on condition of ship currently, however, I can make some general comments. We have sailed the Zenith 8 tmes on various itineraries since our original sailing on her during the inaugural 1992 year. At least 4 or 5 of thoses sailings were to Bermuda.

Zenith has always been considered by us as our favorite ship. We sail 2 or 3 times a year on various lines and ships of all sizes. What I always miss about the Zenith is her intimate size and the ability to get to know so many of our fellow cruisers onboard. Yes she lacks many of the amenities now so desired not the least of which are balconies. Yet she more than makes up for it in other ways.

I would have no problem sailing her again, in fact hope to soon on Bermuda run. If she is a little shop worn I would have to view it like a comfortable pair of slippers, a tad worn perhaps yet fit just right. For a nice base to stay and eat while in Bermuda she should prove to be just right as she always has in the past.

By the way, she isn't old, not for ships. Suddenly with all the constant launching of cookie cutter ships with newer and better people seem to feel that anything that wasn't launched last year is an old ship. Our second ship, 1985, NCL Starward, 500 passenger, 17,000 ton ship still sails today as the Bolero. Zenith was launched in 1992 as redesigned version of Horizon. That is but a short 14 years ago, very short in the life of a ship. Yes the newest ones are huge and have surf pools, boxing rings, whatever ( we sail those too ) but lack the original feeling of closeness to crew and fellow passengers. Good and bad about each type ship.

George in NY
Old June 7th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Passenger

George,

Thanks so much for your views of the Zenith. I think we would actually prefer a smaller ship, and we dont get into much of the glam and hype that the bigger ships have to offer. I would take a more intimate, friendly environment over the glam any day! I think once we are ready to cruise again we will make the Zenith our ship. We sailed on the Century last year and just loved it, and many say it is an older ship. I thought it was wonderful and actually preferred it over the newer Constellation, which we sailed on in April. You are right, getting to know your fellow passengers is such a big part of the enjoyment of the trip. It is gloomy and rainy in NJ today, I am dreaming of Bermuda shores!

Patty
Old June 7th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Zenith Question

[quote="georgeny, 1985, NCL Starward, 500 passenger, 17,000 ton ship still sails today as the Bolero. [/quote]

I should have pointed out that the Starward was already 12 years old in 1985 having been built in 1973. Doing some quick research I found she sails today as below and was actually only 14,264 tons. Zenith is what, over three times her tonnage?

Now that's old and I wouldn't be too keen on sailing her accept for sentimental reasons maybe. The Zenith is still a young ship!

MV MAGIC I: The 1973-built 14,264 gross ton MAGIC I is briefly shown at Limassol in her Mano Cruises' livery. The 750 passenger ship, which was originally Fred Olsen Line's BOLERO, became the Florida-based MIRAGE I in 2003.
Old June 7th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Passenger

Patty,
Just as gloomy and rainy in NY ( Westchester Co ) today. Still I must get off this computer and start moving

I have many photo's of Zenith, if you or anyone would like some emailed please feel free to email me at georgeny@verizon.net

Almost all cabins are exactly alike 175 sq feet but well designed for storage. The two Royal Suites are great 450 sq ' and we have had the pleasure of sailing in them several times. I have cabin photo's, I note that last sailing was a couple years ago.

We have sailed Century and Galaxy a couple of times but never Constellation style ship though have toured them years ago. Celebrity remains one of my favorite if not favorite lines to sail. Of course these things can change through the years.
Old July 15th, 2006, 06:35 PM
First Mate

We are familiar with Mercury & Millenium class ships & will have two upcoming cruises on the new Century & regret not having tried Century before the changes. We have also booked a short 4 day W carib for Spring 2008 on Zenith out of Tampa & have a few questions.
How convenient is the Tampa port from the Tampa airport ( we want to fly & sail same day this time if possible.)
Does anyone know when the last &/or next drydock will be?
Is there a workout area? Are there spa treatment rooms?
The floor plan shows an aquaspa on an upper deck--is that a hot tub, T pool or something different?
Does anyone have a guess about the demographics for a short spring cruise? not sure if we will get the party crowd (it's a night stop in Cozumel) or retirees or a mix....
Other than a clean ship with good food and service we don't need all the bells & whistles--kind of looking forward to the smaller size ship.
Thanks!
Old July 16th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Admiral

On the Bermuda run there is a definite advantage to having a smaller ship and Zenith is perfect for Bermuda. It allows the ship to dock in Hamilton and St. Georges which are the two desirable locations when going to Bermuda. In Hamilton, you walk off the ship and across the street is the main shopping areas of BErmuda. The entrance into St. George is spectacular and should not be missed. These are things that the bigger ships cannot do and definitely make the Zenith the ship to take to Bermuda.

Don
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Passenger

hi Patty,

My husband and I (and some friends) are booked on the 4/13 sailing.
We just got off the Empress on an 11 nighter in April and loved the smaller ship experience.
There is a rumour circulating that the Zenith 4/13 sailing has or is being cancelled.! Gosh I hope not.....

Anyway, if all goes well, you will be with a lively group with an incredible itinerary. Hope to see you onboard!

Donna[/b]