Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Beginner

Default WOULD MY TEENAGERS ENJOY ALASKAN CRUISE IN JULY?

size=18]Stressed out mother of 2 teenagers needs an advise[/size]-

Booked Alaskan cruise , Celebrity/Mercury, for JuLY 21 -28. Taking 2 teenagers, 18 & 16. Kids , although excited about vacation in general are not too happy about Alaskan cruise siting their findings that's it's more "grown up" oriented. We cruised before and it's been hit and miss with teenage entertainment, but warm weather was always on our site and helped ease up bad attitude.

I really do not want to take them if with an exception of sight seeing there is nothing else to do for teens. We can still cancel kid's package. Any input from anybody who was faced with the same predicament is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Passenger

I will be on the Mercury in June with my 3 teenage boys ( 19, 18, 15 ) and they are excited ( well, not QUITE as much as me!). Last time we all cruised, they never even attempted to attend anything for the Teens. They pretty much stayed on their own and were interested in doing other things ( mainly sports related ). This time I even let them choose one of our shore excursions. It wasn't something I would have chosen, but I wanted them to feel like they had a "say-so" too in their vacation. I am in a Sky Suite on the Sky Deck with the 15 year old and the 2 older ones have their own cabin across the hall. It will give them a little privacy and freedom too. They are good kids, so I don't have to worry about them bothering other guests. I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with the kids before thy're gone and making some lasting memories!! Hope you have a wonderful cruise!
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Admiral

amanda1313,

Booked Alaskan cruise , Celebrity/Mercury, for JuLY 21 -28. Taking 2 teenagers, 18 & 16. Kids , although excited about vacation in general are not too happy about Alaskan cruise siting their findings that's it's more "grown up" oriented. We cruised before and it's been hit and miss with teenage entertainment, but warm weather was always on our site and helped ease up bad attitude.

I really do not want to take them if with an exception of sight seeing there is nothing else to do for teens. We can still cancel kid's package. Any input from anybody who was faced with the same predicament is greatly appreciated.

Alaska has a more extensive variety of activities and shore excursions than any other cruise destination, and nearly all of it is very well suited to teenagers. If they are aventure minded, they probably would love shore excursions such as muching sled dogs on a glacier, kayaking, zip lining or an adventure hike with rope bridges through a forest, or any of several other possibilities. The sixteen year old can participate in the teen program aboard ship, too, and probably will find a lot of peers there. Unfortunately, the eighteen year old misses that by a year (but this would be true on all cruise lines) -- but the eighteen year old will have access to the pool and hot tubs in the magrodome and, after 11:00 PM, to the disco, which are reserved for adults.

There are two ways in which you can play out this scenario for maximum effect.

>> Option #1. Figure out what your budget for shore excursoins will be (make sure that it's sufficient to cover a "high end" excursion, like the dog mushing on a glacier, or two, and then give them the budget, point them to the shore excursion section of Celebrity's web site, tell them what the budget is, and let them pick out what they would like to do. I'm certain that they will find something that will excite them, and your problems will be over.

>> Option #2. Let them spend the next couple months bemoaning the fact that they have to go with you, but surreptitiously plan some shore excursions that they will really enjoy -- perhaps mushing huskies on a glacier, zip lining through a rain forest, a ride on the White Pass & Yukon Route, etc. Whenever they start chattering about how neat the tour was on the way back, and especially how great the whole trip was, you can really rub in their precruise laments.

Your choice.

Finally, consider going in different directions if you find that your interests differ. The eighteen year old is legally an adult, and thus might appreciate the liberation of going on an excursion or two without Mom & Dad in tow. You know your sixteen year old much better than I do, so I'll let you decide whether you want to allow your sixteen year old the same privilege (assuming, of course, that Celebrity's rules for shore excursions allow unaccompanied minors). There's no harm in doing different things during the day and then comparing notes over dinner.

MV Mercury is a fabulous ship! I have no doubt that you all will enjoy the cruise, once you all get aboard!

Norm.
Old May 6th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

My two teen sons have done over 6 Alaska cruises each and enjoyed them all except one we did late in the season in Sept.(no other teens)
Both like the nice mild temps of Alaska and enjoy the natural beauty and mountains of Alaska. We have done some great sport fishing while on vacation there.
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Hi....I suggest that you also post this on the "Family Crusing" message board in the Practical Advice area. You'll get great feedback there.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:13 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to destinations Send a message via Yahoo to destinations

Honestly for teens Celebrity isn't the greatest line. An Alaska cruise too is generally an OLDER group then normal celebrity cruises so they might even find it worse. I'd do Royal Caribbean if you go with your teens then at least the age will be good for everyone---not to old or young. But if you do go have fun book excursions!! I work on Celebrity and will be on the Mercury as well at that time for my second summer in Alaska!!!

Have fun!!
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Admiral

destinations,

Honestly for teens Celebrity isn't the greatest line.

On cruises during school vacation periods, the teens that I encountered were thoroughly enjoying themselves -- but I also suspect that a LOT depends on the teens. There are many teens who would not relish dressing up for the "formal" and "informal" evenings, and Celebrity would be a poor choice for them.

An Alaska cruise too is generally an OLDER group then normal celebrity cruises....

That has not been my experience at all. Cruises to Alaska during the school vacation period (June trhough August) draw a LOT of families with children of all ages, including teens.

BTW, many teens enjoy the outdoors activities in Alaska's ports of call.

I work on Celebrity....

In what capacity?

Norm.
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to destinations Send a message via Yahoo to destinations

Well true enough, I was just thinking it's not that great--yes it's nice but honestly if the teens are into more then hanging out with nature and tour after tour a different Ship would be *a little more exciting--even just thinking of the sea days. Celebrity has less programs for teens without a doubt comparing RCCL or even carnival of course. But that's what I see of course you can have fun but--there is not a lot of teens onboard and that's the clientel for Celebrity.

Any cruise is nice though for guests really--but if your worried go for Royal.