Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Who can fix Celebrity pod problems

With the recent announcement that the Summit is being pulled agian due to "pod" or propulsion problems. Who will or can really fix this serious problem on all the millie class of ships.?
The manufacture of the system is Rolls Royce and they seem unable to really solve premature wear of the bearings.
As a shareholder and big fan of Celebrity I am really concerned about the wear and tear of affected ships and the cost to parent company when cruises have to be cancelled.(not to mention how these incidents affect passengers and or prospective Celebrity cruisers. (I know I shy away from millie class ships as twice I have had my voyages cancelled.)
Alstrom has already settled with Celebrity, but how how long will Rolls Royce drag drown the profits on the millie ships or better yet fix the problem. I know litigation is still going on,but if this problem isn't fixed how can anyone determine the value of there mistake.

I am so glad to see the next class of Celebrity ships will come from Germany's Meyer Werft yard.
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Passenger

I too am a share holder and am tired of all the bad press about the Millennium Class ships having to cancel cruises. I am not sure what the litigation will bring, but I am not sure if replacement pods are the answer. (Carnival is having similar problems on azipod ships) RCL stock has tumbled the last few days too. I am not sure its related to the Summit problem, but it cannot help.
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Admiral

FBlack,

I too am a share holder and am tired of all the bad press about the Millennium Class ships having to cancel cruises. I am not sure what the litigation will bring, but I am not sure if replacement pods are the answer. (Carnival is having similar problems on azipod ships) RCL stock has tumbled the last few days too. I am not sure its related to the Summit problem, but it cannot help.

The more direct cause of the recent fluctuation is the reverse fluctuation in the price of fuel. The pod problem is not news at this point so it was priced into the stock long ago.

As an investor, I look at the drop as a buying opportunity. The market put the stock on sale. The market usually overreacts to phenomena like the fluctuation in the price of oil, creating a temporary discount in the price of the shares of stocks that depend upon oil. It will soon correct for the overraaction.

Norm.
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:50 AM
First Mate

:| Hi,

Another good reason for the stock being where it's at these days is the perceived ( and now confirmed as real ) family feud in the Pritzker family estate. That family, thru its holdings, has a 17% stock ownership position in RCL.
The internal feud has triggered the usual decision for everybody within the clan to sell off assets, '' everybody gets his/her $$$ and runs''-type reaction. Investors at large are a bit leery of the impact on the overall RCL portfolio should this bickering involving 17% of the portfolio get a bit too nasty. I see where Thomas Pritzker is still on the board...With the AGM taking place on 26th May, rest assured this situation will come up from the floor....
As a shareholder myself....I wish I could afford the trip to Miami for the AGM.....but, nope....long way from Vancouver....

Happy sailings

RCL is still a solid company and giving Arison & Co a run for its money.

Cheers
Claude G

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G