Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Passenger

Default Cel Specialty rest - same menu?

I have been on the Summit for a 10 nighter southern caribe and a 14 night hawaii. I have eaten Normandie 4 times. I, and my family (2 senior parents and sister) love it. We have even done the wine pairings twice. We are looking at doing the Connie to Panama Dec 06 and Millie in the Med for Jun 7.

I understand from Celebrity's site that the menu for the Nomandie was insprired by that region of France. Does this mean that the menus for the specialty restaurant on the other 2 ships are different? I hope so. Not that i could not deal with the menu just as it was on the Summit but it would be nice to have some different choices. Does anyone know?

Thanks for the help!

Happy cruisin!

=D=
7/29/99 Sun Princess
6/16/00 Oceanic
11/2/00 Sovereign/Seas
12/17/00 C Victory
4/27/01 C Spirit
6/7/01 Jubilee
09/26/02 Imagination
3/14/03 Summit
11/3/03 Century
12/18/05 Summit
12/18/06 Constellation
04/18/08 Westerdam
06/26/08 Dawn Princess

103 day at sea...so far

Free Cruise Tickers
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Darryl,

I have been on the Summit for a 10 nighter southern caribe and a 14 night hawaii. I have eaten Normandie 4 times. I, and my family (2 senior parents and sister) love it. We have even done the wine pairings twice. We are looking at doing the Connie to Panama Dec 06 and Millie in the Med for Jun 7.

I understand from Celebrity's site that the menu for the Nomandie was insprired by that region of France. Does this mean that the menus for the specialty restaurant on the other 2 ships are different? I hope so. Not that i could not deal with the menu just as it was on the Summit but it would be nice to have some different choices. Does anyone know?

There's actually a piece of misinformation here in the source of the name of the restaurant. The speicalty restaruants aboard the four ships of the Millennium class bear the names of classic ocean liners, so the name of the speciatly restuarant aboard GTS Summit is "SS Normandie" rather than simply "Normandie." All four specialty restaurants have the same basic menu. I understand that there's one unique item in each specialty restaurant that comes from the menu of its ship for which it was named.

Celebrtiy's Master Chef, Michel Roux, coordinates all of Celebrity's menus including the menu of the speicalty restaruatnts. He is responsible for the French flair of the line's cuisine.

Norm.
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Passenger

I understand Roux is Exec Chef (I have 2 books by him bought long before I ever cruised) but looking at Celebrities web site and their sample menu for the specialty restaurants, I saw items that I did not remember from the Normandie's menu. So, I was wondering if anyone could give me insite in the other menus.

Maybe the dishes I don't remember are the signature dishes you were speaking about. Of course, if it is offered, I will always have the goat cheese souffle. The absolute best food i have ever put in my mouth.

Thanks!

=D=
7/29/99 Sun Princess
6/16/00 Oceanic
11/2/00 Sovereign/Seas
12/17/00 C Victory
4/27/01 C Spirit
6/7/01 Jubilee
09/26/02 Imagination
3/14/03 Summit
11/3/03 Century
12/18/05 Summit
12/18/06 Constellation
04/18/08 Westerdam
06/26/08 Dawn Princess

103 day at sea...so far

Free Cruise Tickers
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Darryl,

I understand Roux is Exec Chef (I have 2 books by him bought long before I ever cruised) but looking at Celebrities web site and their sample menu for the specialty restaurants, I saw items that I did not remember from the Normandie's menu. So, I was wondering if anyone could give me insite in the other menus.

Maybe the dishes I don't remember are the signature dishes you were speaking about. Of course, if it is offered, I will always have the goat cheese souffle. The absolute best food i have ever put in my mouth.

The web site probably has not caught up with the latest revision of the menu aboard ship.

Norm.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Beginner

Hi,

I just got off the Infinity from a 10-day cruise to the Mexican Riviera, and dined in the SS United States specialty restaurant all three formal nights, we loved it so much! Each of the ships' specialty restaurants are different, being patterned after the specific ships and their cuisine. The SS United States was a ship in the 60s sailing out of NY, and was known to be the fastest ship of it's time and was very elegant. The dishes served are those from Chef Michel Rouxs' London restaurant and are absolutely fantastic! Scallops, Steak Diane, Sea Bass, prepared in the tastiest ways with wonderful spices. The sea bass had a black olive paste topping that was incredible. The presentation and tastes were 5-star and we loved the selection of the alacarte menu. Our chef also prepared special dishes which weren't on the menu, as a special treat. I booked another cruise on Infinity (13 nites!) and definitely plan to be in the SS United States for all 4 formal nites this time....
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Cindy,

I just got off the Infinity from a 10-day cruise to the Mexican Riviera, and dined in the SS United States specialty restaurant all three formal nights, we loved it so much! (boldface added)

I don't believe it! Do you realize that you chose the three nights of the whole cruise on which the main dining room offers its very best menus and extra touches, like the sorbet intermezzos, to eat elsewhere? I'm glad that you enjoyed the SS United States restaurant, but I would have chosen to go there on "casual" or "informal" evenings rather than on the formal evenings. The specialty restaurants are very nice, but the formal nights in the main dining room are not to be missed!

Steak Diane, Sea Bass, prepared in the tastiest ways with wonderful spices.

Yes, these items are on the menus of all four (and soon to be five) specialty restaurants.

Norm.