Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:16 PM
First Mate

Default Millie vs Jewel(Royal)

Can't decide-- Choice is Millie 7 day cruise from Ft Lauderdale to San Juan, Tortola Casa de Campo, Labadee
OR
Jewel of the Seas (Royal) 8 day cruise to San Juan , St Thomas, St Maarten, Tortola & Nassau

We like both class of ship but have not been on either of these
We have been to all ports except Labadee & Casa de Campo
prices are realtively comparable--higher for a JS on Jewel than CC class but lower for a nice "hump" cabin on Jewel.
Any suggestions on how to make our choice...?
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Admiral

hcat,

Jewel of the Seas (Royal) 8 day cruise to San Juan , St Thomas, St Maarten, Tortola & Nassau

I'm confused. Did I miss a news story? Did Royal Caribbean sell MV Jewel of the Seas (and also the right to operate the ship under that name) to Royal Cruise Line? Or do you mean Royal Caribbean?

We like both class of ship but have not been on either of these

"Casa de Campo" (literally, "Country House") is a posh resort in the city of La Romana, Dominican Republic, so La Romana is the actual port of call. La Romana is one of the best maintained areas that I have seen throughout the whole Caribbean -- the roads were in excellent condition, the lawns were very well maintained, and I saw no evidence of poverty whatsoever (but I make no guarantee as to what you may encounter if you take one of the tours that goes to another city while the ship is in port). The resort operates many of the shore excursions and offers golfing, shopping (very upscale) and an optional evening show. I can't say that it's my favorite port of call, but I would not hesitate to return.

Labadee, sister line Royal Caribbean's private island off the north coast of Hispanola that's part of Haiti, is another matter. My friends who have been there said that the Hatians who came to sell their crafts, etc., when their ship called were very poor. I understand that the island itself was quite nice, but the obvious poverty of the locals really blemished the experience. Thus, I'm very hesitant to book any cruise that is going there.

Overall, the cruise out of San Juan that calls at La Romana ("Casa de Campo") might be a better choice.

Norm.
Old May 27th, 2006, 12:03 PM
First Mate

Guess I am not communicating well.
Our choices are Mille on Celeb or Jewel (RCCL or RCCI) )
Both leave from Ft Lauderdale.
The Mille itin includes both DR & Labadee (not been to either) while Jewel includes San Juan & Nassau etc. (I like 3 out of the 5 ports on the Jewel trip)
I prefer the Jewel itin & like the ship class but overall like the celeb cruise experience & clientele better...Also not sure which is the better value for comparable staterooms...
Has anyone been on either ship reently?
Old May 27th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've been on both the Millennium and Jewel. Both are excellent ships. Celeb will offer a laid back experience, with excellent food and service.

Jewel will be more lively, and a more "relaxed atmosphere"... with friendly (if unpolished) service and more hit and miss in the food dept.

If you prefer the Jewel itinerary there's no reason not to go with it, you just may not feel "treated as royally" as you would be on Millennium.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 28th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

We like the refined service and good food on found on Celebrity. If outdoor games in the hot sun and more active sports are your thing ,the Jewel would be a better choice.

For us....Celebrity just seems to meet our expectations cruise after cruise.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:52 PM
First Mate

truth is we enjoy both so we switch back & forth,,,this time we decided to go with Jewel--liked the intin better & miss Chops & Portofino & the great private spa/sauna area on Radiance class ships....we will get pampered the Celebrity way on our already booked cruises on Century & have a bit more poolside fun on our Jewel trip-- Either was a good trip but the itin won out!
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:23 PM
First Mate

Hi hcat,

I've been on both cruises and both were great.

The Jewel is a nice pick. I did a back to back on it in December with the same 8-night itin you will be doing. I think the Radiance class is the prettiest ship RCL has. Lot's of glass and very nautical. This is one RCL ship I would go on again and you know I'm a Celebrity cruiser.

Even though we know that Celebrity has great food, the Jewel is very good. The Windjammer has stations and is very spread out, so you don't feel confined.

If you happen to be a Diamond member or Elite on Celebrity or if you are in a suite or above, there's a Concierge Club on deck 10. Only RCL has them and they are nice. If you want more info, let me know.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old June 13th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Haven´t we been through this before R22:17? It´s not funny. Yes, you did obviously miss that RCL is out of business long ago.

[quote="Rev22:17"]hcat,

I'm confused. Did I miss a news story? Did Royal Caribbean sell MV Jewel of the Seas (and also the right to operate the ship under that name) to Royal Cruise Line? Or do you mean Royal Caribbean?

quote]
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:30 PM
First Mate

Glad we chose Jewel for '08-- we have been on Brilliance & agree with Cruz Crazy that the ship layout is a nice one--& those two alt rests Chops & Portofino are great too. we learned that because we booked almost as soon as it was offered there is an additionmal $99 off the cost for our cabin. And we were also told that as soon as we hit Diamond (which will be soon after one or two more on Celebrity ) we will get another decrease & maybe even a Sr. discount...soon they will be paying us to cruise (not exactly! ) Anyhow--hope to catch Millenium in the future.
Roland do you have any new scoops for us?
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:49 PM
First Mate

The other nice perk that the Jewel of the Seas has is a Concierge Club that you can use if you are a Diamond Member or if you are in a suite.

Royal Caribbean also has them on their Voyager class ships as well. I'm not sure about their Vision class.

It's a nice place to have a cocktail and a tidbit before dinner. You can use it throughout the day if you wish.

I noticed on my cruise on the Jewel since I was on the same deck and my balcony cabin was a few doors down, that people used it during the day as well.

Enjoy the Jewel, it's a wonderful ship. Keep in mind the Millenium is just like the other Millenium class ships and their Eastern Caribbean cruise is nice. If you really want something special, you might consider the 10-night Ultimate Southern Caribbean. That's my favorite Eastern Caribbean cruise by far.
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Roland,

Haven´t we been through this before R22:17? It´s not funny. Yes, you did obviously miss that RCL is out of business long ago.

Yes, you're absolutely right. Slamming Royal Caribbean International by referring to said line as "Royal" absolutely is NOT funny, and I will continue to take exception when people do so.

Norm.
Old June 14th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Admiral

There is a Concierge Club on the SP and EN as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Crazy
Royal Caribbean also has them on their Voyager class ships as well. I'm not sure about their Vision class.
Old June 17th, 2006, 06:53 PM
First Mate

Thanks for info re Enchantment--we will not be Diamond when we sail on her in Dec but look forward to it anyhow. Still don't get the Royal thing but it appears not to be of much consequence...at least not to me---I only use the boards to get lots of valuable info---
Old June 17th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Hi hcat,

Quote:
Still don't get the Royal thing but it appears not to be of much consequence...at least not to me
You are right! It's just a matter of semantics. "Royal" (RCL), which is not in business anymore, is not the same as Royal Caribbean International (RCI).

The two above ^ , just like to "banter" !

Have a great cruise, whatever line you're on!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old June 24th, 2006, 09:26 PM
First Mate

[quote="Roland"]There is a Concierge Club on the SP and EN as well.

Roland I don't understand your acronyms.

Is EN = Enchantment of the Seas?

SP = What ships does that stand for?
Old June 25th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Admiral

Yes,

EN is the Enchantment and SP is the Splendour of the Seas.