Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2006, 03:41 PM
Passenger

Default Help! New to Celebrity - are Infinity and Summit Mega-size

[b] Took a Princess cruise on mega-ship Sapphire Princess & hated it. Are Celebrity Infinity and Summit in the same category size-wise? Princess "Any Time Dining" was a joke. They would only allow us (on any day of our 7-day cruise) to eat before 5:30 or after 8:30 p.m. Ate in buffet 7 nites. Felt like a herd of cattle trying to go anywhere on board ship. What are your thoughts? Any info will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2006, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Not the same size. Closer to the Island Princess.

Been on the Island and the Grand. We did the Any Time Dining and we had no problem eating when we wanted to.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:36 PM
Admiral

Hi Golfette,

I think you may have misunderstood "Anytime Dining". You can go to the "Anytime" dining room any time you want, but if you want to make a standing reservation for each night it has to be early or late to accommodate the people who come in "anytime". If you wanted to eat at a specific time you should have booked Traditional Dining.

We never had any problem on Grand Princess. We always went to "Anytime Dining" between 7:30 and 8:00 and only waited once for about 5 minutes.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 3rd, 2006, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Are Celebrity Infinity and Summit in the same category size-wise
Yes, the Infinity and Summit are a similar size to the Sapphire, though a bit smaller.

However Celebrity uses assigned dining times and tables, so the dining experience is dissimilar to Any Time Dining featured on Princess.

This class of ship by Celebrity is one of my personal favorites.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 3rd, 2006, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Infinity and Summit

Capicity: 2034
Tonnage: 91,000
Length: 965 ft.
Beam: 105.6 ft

Sapphire

Capacity: 2670
Tonnage: 113000
Length: 951 ft
Beam: 123.0 ft

Island Princess

Capacity: 1,970
Gross Tons: 88000.0
Length: 964 ft
Beam: 106 ft

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 4th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I honestly think you'll be so much happier with the Millie class ship of Celebrity. You'll find it easier to navigate the ship and the dining times are set, so no need to do the buffet every night. I find this class of ship to be a nice size and you'll get the Celebrity treatment, nice, enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Golfette,

Took a Princess cruise on mega-ship Sapphire Princess & hated it. Are Celebrity Infinity and Summit in the same category size-wise? Princess "Any Time Dining" was a joke. They would only allow us (on any day of our 7-day cruise) to eat before 5:30 or after 8:30 p.m. Ate in buffet 7 nites. Felt like a herd of cattle trying to go anywhere on board ship. What are your thoughts? Any info will be appreciated.

I took thirteen cruises with Princess before I started cruising with Celebrity and can honestly say that MV Grand Princess was the worst vessel on which I have ever cruised. Don't get me wrong -- the service, accommodations, etc. were fine, but the layout of the vessel left a LOT to be desired. Unfortunately, all of Princess's "Post-Panamax" vessels, including MV Sapphire Princess, have copied most of the problems, which was one of the factors that motivated me to change to another line.

That said, GTS Infinity and GTS Summit are significantly smaller than MV [i]Sapphire Princess[i]. They also have a much more functional layout.

Norm.
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:39 PM
First Mate

I've only been on RCL and Celebrity.

On RCL I was on the Mega ships, Explorer and Voyager of the Seas, but I prefer the Millenium class on Celebrity. I've been on all four of them and I love them all the same. Celebrity is very consistent.

If I want some glitz, I sail on the Radiance class of RCL...the Jewel of the Seas or the Brilliance of the Seas. These are about the same size as Celebrity ships.

Even though Celebrity still has assigned seating, they have many other options as a free-style dining as well. You have room service, the Windjammer, Casual Dining (with reservations, but informal) and one specialty restaurant (with a charge). I like to try them all, so I feel like I'm not on any schedule.

It seems the more I cruise the smaller the ship I want. I'm thinking about Oceania in the future as well.

Sorry I don't know anything about Princess.
2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old June 9th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Crazy
I've only been on RCL and Celebrity.

On RCL I was on the Mega ships, Explorer and Voyager of the Seas, but I prefer the Millenium class on Celebrity. I've been on all four of them and I love them all the same. Celebrity is very consistent.

It seems the more I cruise the smaller the ship I want. I'm thinking about Oceania in the future as well.

Sorry I don't know anything about Princess.
Couldn't agree with you more! Thought we would enjoy the larger ships...but didn't. Think the millenium size is the largest we will ever want to cruise on. Fewer crowds, faster and much better service, more attention to detail. Still not ready for the stuffy set yet! ()