Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2006, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Default A Question for Anne Campbell re Celebrity

I have been reading on other cruise message boards that the condition of Celebrity ships has gone way downhill due to nonrefurbishing of carpets, bedding, towels, etc. Stains on carpets, bedspreads etc. Towels with holes in them have even been mentioned. Do you have any information on this topic. Would appreciate some knowledgeable comments.
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:21 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to RoseyGirl Send a message via MSN to RoseyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to RoseyGirl

Hi Golfette,
sounds to me like you are trying to pick a fight out of thin air. I have been on many Celebrity Cruises and have never seen anything like you pointed out. Celebrity's one of the top lines in the Cruise Ind. they put great care into their service. There is one thing I know for sure, if what you say about the carpets, bedding, towels, etc. is true then You can bet there would be much more of a stink put out there. Most of us here LOVE Celebrity (but it's because of it's great service, clean ships, and high standerds that we are so loyal!!!)
Old June 3rd, 2006, 10:20 AM
Passenger

I am really tired of people on cruise boards finding fault with posters who ask a legitimate question. See the above response to my question - "LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE TRYING TO PICK A FIGHT OUT OF THIN AIR...".

Go to ***edited by moderator***. Click on Celebrity under "Cruise Lines," scroll down to topic "WHY WON'T CELEBRITY FIX THEIR SHIPS," with 96 responses & read THAT. . After you finish the 96 responses, scroll down to "SICK ON INFINITY/SICK OF CELEBRITY" with 64 responses and read THAT. Then tell me I'm picking a fight out of thin air when I ask a simple question on a different board to get a different prospective.

It really looks like you can't get an honest answer on this type of board without encountering each line's cheerleaders!
Old June 3rd, 2006, 01:56 PM
Beginner

Was on Infinity just after her yard period in March. Great Shape! Wonderful cruise including, surprise, outstanding entertainment and, no surprise, excellent food and service.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Golfette,
We were on the Summit this past March and she was in fine shape.
September 2004 on the Constellation and it was terrific.

The one ship that will need some sprucing is the Galaxy but over all not bad.

Celebrity with 1900 people on board every week does a fine job of keeping the ships in good condition.

One thing about message boards it does have a tendency to rile feathers. One person will start a negative thread and others will jump in and exaggerate the situation.

I've met cruisers that point out the smallest detail as a stain in a public area. My response is "If I came to your home what would I find"?

Old June 4th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes the Celebrity ships have a few minor signs of normal wear and tear. Overall the ships are still in good shape and I wouldn't hesitate to sail any of there older ships(not really old at all) Galaxy or Mercury in a minute. In fact I perfer them to the Millie class anyway. I'll be sailing the newly refurbished Century in one of the newly added balcony cabins in July 2007 on the one special sailing that visits the Artic Circle.
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Golfette,

I have been reading on other cruise message boards that the condition of Celebrity ships has gone way downhill due to nonrefurbishing of carpets, bedding, towels, etc. Stains on carpets, bedspreads etc. Towels with holes in them have even been mentioned. Do you have any information on this topic. Would appreciate some knowledgeable comments. (boldface in original)

I have taken seven cruises on six Celebrity ships starting between the fall of 2003 and the winter of this year. My most recent cruises were aboard vessels that are about ten years old -- MV Galaxy last fall and MV Mercury earlier this year. The worst that I have ever seen, in terms of condition of a vessel, is some normal wear of upholstery and carpets on a vessel that was due for a visit to the yards. I have also discovered that Celebrity's passengers are generally a very upscale crowd with uncompromising expectations who would go elsewhere in a heartbeat if they ever found unsatisfactory conditions aboard Celebrity's vessels. Such neglect of maintenance in passenger areas would put Celebrity Cruises out of business in very short order.

Incidentally, seven of Celebrity's eight ships ranked in the top ten "large cruise ships" in a recent reader survey by Conde Nast magazine. The readers of Conde Nast are a very discriminating lot who clearly would not give such ranking to vessels that were in the condition that you describe.

Norm.
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Passenger

Thanks to those of you who offered knowledgeable, constructive comments. I have never traveled Celebrity and was considering it after a rather bad experience on Princess. In checking the message board of another cruise forum, I was extremely surprised to see quite a number of threads with numerous responses concerning various problems on Celebrity from the ones I mentioned to major mechanical breakdowns. I wanted a different viewpoint so found cruisemates. I know all lines have problems & I figure it's up to me to check out my own concerns to the best of my ability. If I had done that the 1st time, maybe we wouldn't have had the problems we did have. Cruiseline brochures are wonderful, but they aren't necessarily actuality. Once "fooled," twice shy. Thanks again for your help!
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:10 PM
First Mate

Have been on both Summit & Merc this past yr Both are in great shape & kept immaculate with a few exceptions---bedspreads getting a bit old & on Merc our cabin sink had a large crack & the sofa was broken. Did not really affect us that much. Public areas in very good shape except Bar At Edge which is a decorating mistake for sure IMHO.