Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Default Our Infinity experience---Your POV PLEASE!

We just returned from our 12 night Alaskan cruise on the Infinity. I'll share briefly our experience...then without FLAMING me...I would appreciate your POV!

First off: We love Celebrity...that said, here goes:

Arrived in S.F. checked into our cabin 6136...we booked this CC cabin 13 months in advance because of its extended veranda. My sister and her husband booked cabin 6135.

After we checked into our cabin 6136, we noticed immediately how smokey the cabin smelled. Our cabin attendent, Fernando, immediately recleaned the cabin...no use...the smell was terrible, so strong infact that both my husband and I continued to cough when ever we were in the cabin. Fernando then removed the drapes and curtains, the bed coverlet, changed the pillows, blankets and then washed the walls and shampooed the carpet. We kept the veranda door open to aid in the recycling of air. Nothing touch the odor. The tissue paper, Kleenex and hair dryer smelled of smoke. Fernando and his assistant did everything to try to reduce the odor to no avail. They were so nice and tried so hard to help. But the smell was unrelenting!

We, went to Guest Services but they could not help us because the ship was full...there was no where to move us! That first night we slept without drapes or curtains and with the veranda door open. IT WAS COLD!

The next day, Maria Yang at the Concierge Desk was able to find us a temporary cabin. Some guest had missed the ship in S.F and would be making connections in Vancouver B.C.

The next morning Maria visited us in cabin 6136 and was shocked. She had never experienced a cabin so ruined by cigarette smoke. The smell leaked into the hallways even with the door closed! I had my first asthma attack later that day.

Once we arrived in Vancouver we expected at any minute to be told to exit the ship, since there was no other cabins available. We had canceled our shore excursions as we had to be ready to fly home. Later mid- morning, Maria let us know the couple was a no show and we could stay in the alterative cabin.

Most of our clothes smelled of smoke and had to be laundried or dry cleaned. (Maria arranged it so that we did not have to pay for this cleaning) Our luggage had to be wiped down with a special cleaner to rid of the smell of cigarette smoke.

I had two additional asthma attacks and was treated by the Ships Physician 3 times with one additional phone consult. My insurance should reinverse us for this cost.

Fernando and his assistant brought in an additional deep cleaning crew. This cabin was cleaned and rescrubbed EVERYDAY (we checked!) and the smell STAYED the same with little or no results. The smell even leaked into the Royal Suite next door, so they taped and sealed off the connecting door in an attempt to contain the smokey odor to the one cabin.

As we were moving our luggage and clothes to the new cabin and older gentleman in the elevator commented, "Are you changing cabins?" We said, yes because of the strong smell of smoke in our cabin. His comment, " Well...we're changing cabins too! Don't go into cabin 71?? because it smells like cigar smoke!! We couldn't stand it and requested a cabin change too". S0oooo....we're weren't the only ones!

This experience did impact our cruise...we lost 3 shore excursions because I was in the ship's medical center. We missed my sister's 30th anniversary party on the ship.

On departure day we went up to cabin 6136 to thank Fernando and his assistant. They had felt so bad for us and tried so hard to fix the cabin so we could move back in. We really appreciated their efforts! We also stopped and spoke with Maria Yang too...she told us they didn't know what they were going to do with the cabin. It's a great cabin...but the strong cigarette smell was only slightly improved dispite all the efforts at deep cleaning. They were pretty sure that the next passengers unless they were smokers, would REJECT the cabin too!
They were talking ripping out the carpet as we left.

Fellow cruisers...what would you have done? All suggestions appreciated!

Smokers: Yes...it is your business if you chose to smoke...But can't you appreciate even a little the affect that your habit has on others?
Sponsored Links