Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Passenger

Default Cost of a bottle of liquor from room service

I understand that bringing a bottle of scotch or vodka on board is not permitted. Also it seems that any duty free purchase made on board is held until the end of the trip. We would really enjoy a couple of pre dinner coctails on our balcony before dinner. Is room service the only alternative? Can you purchase scotch or vodka by the liter from any place on the ship and use it in your cabin during the trip? If so does anyone have any idea of the cost i.e do they really "put it to you"
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Admiral

I would just pack the Scotch and Vodka in your suitcase and see what happens.

On Princess you can order a liter from room service. $20 for Grey Goose.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Passenger

I was on the Mercury in April. I bought a bottle of liquor from the on board shop and he let me take it to my room. Then my table mates did too. Just ask about it at the shop, but when you are alone.
Old June 16th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Beginner

pack a bottle(preferably plastic) in your ck'd suitcase. some lines will have a particular bar that will sell you a bottle of liquor for $20....on Oceania I was told I could bring on 2 btls(and did so).....also, you can purchse enroutes at ports and bring aboard...(also did so)
at $10.62(incl'g 18% auto tip)for a Grey Goose martini, it helps to have one(or 2) in your cabin!!
Old June 16th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Or 3 or 4 ...

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 17th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Admiral

It used to be that on all lines you could buy a bottle in the on board duty free shop and take it to your room for a premium of say 25%. That is now verboden. On Holland America at least yo can pre order as a gift to yourself and a bottle will be waiting in you stateroom when you arrive. they of course charge a premium for this. Also some packages are available through room service.

This is purely a matter of economics with the cruise lines. They don't make as much money if you mix your own drinks. But like you, we like to mix our own, (for example, I have yet to find a cruise ship bartender who can make a real Margarita) and they should sell you the booze if that is your preference, and allow you to mix your own and drink it on your own verandah. An awful lot of us would prefer that to some of the other "amenities" they pride themselves on. I don't need to bring my own bottle on, I'm perfectly happy to buy it from them and pay a premium so they can make their profit. I just don't want to pay $6 or 7 for a really lousy Margarita.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10