CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Travel Iron (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/315433-travel-iron.html)

daveoneil June 10th, 2006 03:12 PM

Travel Iron

Celebrity Constellation June 17th Baltic Cruise.

Anybody had any experience with taking a travel iron on board.
Have been told by Celebrity not to take iron.

Dave

Irish Shark June 10th, 2006 05:13 PM

Dave, an iron on any cruise ship is a no-no. Too much of a fire hazzard. Bring a steamer; that works OK.

Fieldmouse June 10th, 2006 07:00 PM

No irons...but steamers are good as well as any of the anti-wrinkle sprays.

Laundry and dry cleaning services are also available. Noticed on the Celebrity Infinity they also have just 'pressing' services too.

longboysfan June 16th, 2006 01:02 PM

My wife brings one on every cruise.
But why am I the one always using it.... :(

Fieldmouse June 16th, 2006 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longboysfan
My wife brings one on every cruise.
But why am I the one always using it.... :(

DON'T bring an iron. Think accident...fire...middle of the ocean. :evil:

MaryLou June 16th, 2006 04:26 PM

Yes, please do not bring an iron onboard. Steamers work great and I've also been told the dewrinkler in a can works too.

richstacy June 17th, 2006 04:36 PM

The reason for the prohibition on irons is that they draw too much current and the ships's 110 system is not up to that. It could overload it, trip the circuit and put everyone on that deck out of commission, and worst case could start an electrical fire. Don't do it. :(

Irish Shark June 17th, 2006 04:56 PM

A hair dryer draws as much as an iron. It is not going to trip any breakers.

Also, there is not one breaker for an entire deck.

richstacy June 17th, 2006 05:34 PM

Just repeating to you what an engineer type on Crown Odyssey told me about it a few years back. Actually I think on a lot of ships the hair dryers are supplied, and they are 220V. And I have been on ships where several cabins on one deck lost their 110 at once due to overload and circuit tripping. On one cruise it was happening every day until the engineers finally fixed something across the hall. This may not be an issue on the newer ships.

Irish Shark June 17th, 2006 05:55 PM

The hair dryer that I am talking about is the big one that you bring with you. It is 110VAC and it does not trip any breakers.

richstacy June 17th, 2006 06:36 PM

Our last cruise was on Statendam, last month. We were told that hair dryers were supplied, which they were, and not to bring our own hair dryer or an iron. The supplied hair dryers were 220 or whatever it is, anyway it did not plug into 110. My wife did bring her curling iron and plug it into 110, but it draws much less current than an iron or a hair dryer. Other than that, the 110 was used for our camcorder, digital camera and electric razor battery chargers and that's it.

Irish Shark June 17th, 2006 06:46 PM

My wife alway bring her hair dryer as the one in the cabin does not work for her. The one on the cabin is fine for me.

Anyway, were are yet to trip a breaker.

tandav June 17th, 2006 11:45 PM

Not a good idea. We took a travel small iron but soon realized its a safety fire hazard to use it on bed or floor, and very limited ampere rating avl in room . not strong for iron. So best to not use on ship for safety

Fieldmouse June 18th, 2006 11:12 AM

We've always brought our own hair dryer...ones supplied are to wimpy...BUT the ones on the Infinity were SUPER charged!

Don't know if any of the other Milli class ships have them...but our hairdryer really worked super well.

BTW: It's the hair dryer already hooked up in the bathrooms. Large boxy type thing. Our cabin also had a traditional type in one of the drawers that we never used.

skymaster June 24th, 2006 09:06 AM

Many years ago, you could count on the tripping of the 110V A/C circuit on formal nights! That was attributed to all the women coming out of the shower and plugging in the hair dryers. On the old "Emerald Seas" it was a common happening. I think the newer ships have greatly improved the electrical systems, and supplied 220V hair dryers in the cabins to eleminate this inconvenience. I too would advise against irons in the cabins, if for no other reason to avoid onboard fires. Take a steamer, or do what I do, and don't worry about it! LOL
Ken