Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2006, 07:20 PM
First Mate

Default T-pool on New century?

Is there a T pool on Century. I see in the new on -line deck plans there is a Persian gardens which may be OK but not same as a T pool. There is an unlabeled big square in the middle . I am hoping that is the old T pool--We have two trips booked & are looking forward to the original T pool--the one on Merc is so much better than the spa pools on M class ships & assume the one on Century would be more like the one on Merc........hope someone can answer !
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Admiral

hcat,

Is there a T pool on Century. I see in the new on -line deck plans there is a Persian gardens which may be OK but not same as a T pool. There is an unlabeled big square in the middle . I am hoping that is the old T pool--We have two trips booked & are looking forward to the original T pool--the one on Merc is so much better than the spa pools on M class ships & assume the one on Century would be more like the one on Merc........hope someone can answer !

Don't assume that anything on MV Century is like anyting aboard either MV Galacy or MV [i]Mercury. These vessels really are two different classes. MV Century (1770 passengers, 70,606 tons) is a "one of a kind" while MV Galaxy and MV Mercury really are the Galaxy class (1896 passengers, 77,713 tons). The company's marketing department is publishing informatoin that is both factually wrong and misleading when it refers to all of these vessels as Century class.

Norm.
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

hcat - when they recently renovated the Century, they removed the T-pool. I am a little upset as I was really looking forward to using it in December.
Old June 19th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Lisa's right. They removed the Thalassotherapy pool from Century.

In the words of Hall and Oates:

She's Gone Oh I, Oh I'd

better learn how to face it

She's Gone Oh I, Oh I'd

pay the devil to replace her

Take care,
Mike (Feeling retro)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:27 PM
First Mate

that's bad news---We have two trips booked on Century so will not be able to enjoy the wonderful T pool. No matter what they did--the experience of the T pool will not be equalled by the Persian Gardens--various hot steam rooms that elevate your blood pressure. The T-pool is so great for arthritis, any aches & pains, so relaxing & rejuvenating etc etc. Guess when all is said & done the Mercury will remain my favorite Celebrity ship! Thanks for the updates---now I can think about what else I would like to enjoy on board--basically I am a port & T pool person so tjis will give me a chance to figure out some other activites..
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
hcat,

Don't assume that anything on MV Century is like anyting aboard either MV Galacy or MV [i]Mercury. These vessels really are two different classes. MV Century (1770 passengers, 70,606 tons) is a "one of a kind" while MV Galaxy and MV Mercury really are the Galaxy class (1896 passengers, 77,713 tons). The company's marketing department is publishing informatoin that is both factually wrong and misleading when it refers to all of these vessels as Century class.

Norm.
These three ships were called the Century class by Chandris when he announced the building of three new ships back in the early 90's. All three ships were planned for at the same time and built in the same yard. The Century came out first and therefore the class is named for her. They corrected and improved the other two ships just as the Zenith was bigger and improved over the Horizon (both of those ships were listed as the same class. The Century, Galaxy and Mercury are all the same class, but the Galaxy and Mercury are sister ships.
I have the inaugural book from the Century's maiden voyage that talks about the class of ships - that there were to be three ships in this class.
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old June 24th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Admiral

daysatsea,

These three ships were called the Century class by Chandris when he announced the building of three new ships back in the early 90's. All three ships were planned for at the same time and built in the same yard. The Century came out first and therefore the class is named for her.

To say that ships are of the same class means that they have the same basic plan.

Ships of the same class share, also called sister ships, the same basic set of plans. There can be minor differences from one vessel of a class to the next, such as the difference in the layout of the cinema area between MV Galaxy and MV Mercury, or the reassignment of certain spaces like Notes, Words, The Tower, and The Conservatory on the vessels of the Millennium class, but the vessels must share a common hull. The former MV Horizon and MV Zenith (Horizon class) met this test, as do GTS Millennium, GTS Constellation, GTS Infinity, and GTS Summit.

Celebrity's original plan for MV Century, MV Galaxy, and MV Mercury may have been to build three sisters, but a complete redesign occurred between the first vessel and the second. The dimensions show MV Century does not even share a common hull with MV Galaxy and MV Mercury. In proper maritime usage, the new design of MV Galaxy and MV Mercury constitutes a separate class from MV Century.

MV Century

Occupancy: 1770
Tonnage: 70,606
Length: 815 feet
Beam: 105 feet
Draught: 25

MV Galaxy

Occupancy: 1896
Tonnage: 77,713
Length: 866
Beam: 105.6 ft
Draught: 25

MV Mercury

Occupancy: 1884
Tonnage: 77,713
Length: 866 feet
Beam: 105.6 ft
Draught: 25.5

They corrected and improved the other two ships just as the Zenith was bigger and improved over the Horizon (both of those ships were listed as the same class.

In fact, the differences between th former MV Horizon and MV Zenith were quite minor and superficial. The vessels do share a common hull, propulsion system, etc. They redesigned the forward observation lounge, the pool area, and a few other public spaces, but pretty nearly everything is in the same place.

The Century, Galaxy and Mercury are all the same class, but the Galaxy and Mercury are sister ships.

No. Ships of the same class are sister ships and vice versa. These terms are synonymous.

I have the inaugural book from the Century's maiden voyage that talks about the class of ships - that there were to be three ships in this class.

Again, what "was to be" is no what IS. The redesign after the lead ship produced a different class of vessels.

Norm.
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Captain

I'll miss the T-pool! It was the one thing I really enjoyed on my Summit cruise, spent alot of time in the T-pool! Wasn't crazy about the ship, but I sure liked that pool!
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:43 PM
First Mate

Glad you liked the Summit T-pool but you should keep in mind that the M class T pools are not at all like the Merc T pool---That is in a private area (fewer guests) has more therapy stations in the pool which run on a cycle & has great added minerals in the water... So if you get the chance go on Mercury before they decide to convert that to something else like they did on the Centruy! We are going on QM 2 at the end of summer--they still have a T pool so we can check that out & compare. happy sailing!