Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

I think your working in a different atmosphere.. and except for cruises do not get out socially locally

Actually, I do get out socially more than you think!

Norm.
Old July 5th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Let me tell you we did the first trans-Atlantic on the BOS of RC...and I never met a more snobbish group in my life, especially some people from Boston (BTW they were in inside cabins in the very lower bowels of the ship)... You will hate RC...the food, except for believe it or not the buffet upstairs and the restaurants upstairs...Will let you in on a well known secret... I sued RC after that cruise and won... and that's not easy.. When I was booking my first Celebrity Cruise at the travel show in Boston, a woman from RC (head of sales) came over and I told her why I would never, ever cruise RC and tell people.. As I was leaving the ship I mentioned to the Sales Rep and I remember his name and told her.. that he told me when I told him how disappointed I was his quote was...."What do you expect from a cheap c ruise"....that was an exact quote..she took his name..Service on the ship was non-existent at most meals...except of course for your evening dining.. and then we met many people who complained of service at their table.. As for Royal or NCL when Royal started in Boston it was staffed by the same people who staff Celebrity..Freestyle has only been in effect for the past few years.. Yes, the Majesty is not Celebrity, but they have a wonderful crew who cannot do enough for you, the ship is immaculate, and it goes to Bermuda where it sits for three days.. It is the most re-booked ship in the NCL line.. And...oh yes.. I stil get dressed for formal night
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Congratulations Norm and Parrot Mom,

I think you two win the "How Far Off Topic Can You Get" award!

IMO,you don't have to be "well past the age of eighty" to wear a dressy pants outfit! I do, and have never felt out of place. (And yes, I'd wear the same on Celebrity, if I cruised with them.)

On topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm
FBOW, part of Celebrity's "upscale" philosophy is that "upscale" passengers don't do their own laundry.
Hummm... I do my own laundry at home. Don't any of Celebrity's passengers? I guess this would be the wrong cruise line for me !

(BTW, Norm, you must know by now that when people refer to "Royal" they mean Royal Caribbean, not RCL.)

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Fern,

Congratulations Norm and Parrot Mom,

I think you two win the "How Far Off Topic Can You Get" award!

Yes, we did drift a bit, didn't we?

Hummm... I do my own laundry at home. Don't any of Celebrity's passengers?

Yes (I, for one), but that does not stop the line from assuming that its passengers won't want self-service laundromats at sea.

(BTW, Norm, you must know by now that when people refer to "Royal" they mean Royal Caribbean, not RCL.)

No, as long as I have been cruising, it has always been "Royal Caribbean"....

Norm.
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Of course I do my own laundry.. and have been for ###years... as Parrot Pop would say.. you don't do it.. the machine does...Taking a tour on a ship (the Amersterdam) I noted they had laundry faciities.. that's why I'm asking..
Old July 5th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

Taking a tour on a ship (the Amersterdam) I noted they had laundry faciities.. that's why I'm asking..

Yes, and all of Princess's ships also have laundry facilities but Celebrity's ships do not.

Norm.
Old July 5th, 2006, 11:17 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Yes. black dressy crepe pants...or a long black skirt...!!!
Your dressy black pants will be fine......really!
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old July 6th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm
FBOW, part of Celebrity's "upscale" philosophy is that "upscale" passengers don't do their own laundry.
I must say I had my first Celebrity cruise to Alaska and was very disappointed. Alaska was wonderful but Celebrity was not. I expected upscale service it just wasn't there. The food the first two nights in the dining room was bad. If you are serving Roast Beef don't call it Prime Rib. The Shrimp all through the cruise was not deveined and overcooked. The SS united states restuartant was the best food and service we had. I just don't feel that in order to get good food you should have to pay an extra cover charge. No activties were booked on days at sea that didn't involve shopping. I wanted more games at sea. The public areas were not keep clean. I almost cut my foot on a bottle cap left on the floor from the night before. So for the customers they should put in the washers and let the passengers who want to do the our laundry. Because the cruise line saying it's upscale doesn't mean it is. Unless paint chipping off the towel seats has become upscale while I wasn't looking.

The bright spots were the dining room staff was excellent and the shows were excellent. Aside from that my best cruise was on the Star Princess. 8)

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 13th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Captain

Interesting discussion, folks! :-) I actually met Norm when I was on my New England cruise! He is a tongue in cheeck kind of guy, dry sense of humor, good natured and I'd say on the conservative side.

Well, I'm not 80 yet but I'll wear pants on my Celebrity cruise! Actually a
jumpsuit, black and very dressy looking! Of course between now and Dec. I'll change my mind a few times!

The shoe thing amazes me! I was on a cruise last Fall for 21 days and I had 5 pairs with me, incl. gym shoes and water slippers. I have black strappy shoes that I wear with alot of things for dinner and formal nites.

On one of my first cruises (1984), I was in London then on a transatlantic for 11 days back to Miami. I had so much stuff with me, no wheels on my luggage, tons of shoes, heavy jeans, clothes for dinner every night with shoes to match! It was way too crazy and right then and there I knew I'd buy clothes around one basic black or brown pair of shoes, no more navy, red or marroon shoes. Who looks at my feet anyway?
Old July 27th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

That certainly allows you to bring more luggage, but it's rather difficult to drive to one's port of embarkation on a westbound tranatlantic cruise....

Norm.

=========================
My wife was asked by a friend in Louisiana where she was going on vacation. She said "Amsterdam". The lady asked " Are your driving"
Well of course there is an Amsterdam in the States, but my wife went blank for awhile.
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Last year on Galaxy I wore three different outfits on formal nights and one of them was a very dressy pantsuit with black silky slacks, a sparkly tank top under a long sleeved sparkly jacket. The tank top was a silvery color with metallic threads running through it (not gaudy) and the jacket was black with metallic threads (also not gaudy). I did not look out of place and a lot of women were also wearing dressy pants outfits. My teenage granddaughter helped my pick out the pantsuit. She thought it was pretty cool and she has good taste. I also wore a black midi-length sheath with ruffles at the hem and a sheer black poncho over it. The poncho top has a subdued tropical design using tiny seed pearls and other beads of different colors. I got a lot of compliments on it and it made me look thinner. It is also one of my all-time best bargains. Regularly $139 marked down, down and down and I got a couple more $$ off because of the white stuff( deodorant) under one arm, which sponged off nicely like I knew it would. I payed $14 for it. WhooHoo!
The third outfit is my old standby long black tank dress with a patterned top, again with metallic threads as accent. Looking ahead to next Jan. I just found a new top to wear with it.
This summer I left the pantsuit at home because it is more of a winter outfit and wore a long dress of subdued periwinkle flowers with attached, short sleeved jacket, more suited to summer and warmer weather.
I wore the long black tank dress with a two-piece top that actually goes with black pants that I wore with different tops on my first 4 cruises. Mix and match is the key to reducing your packing. My friend wore a long black skirt with two different tops and nobody could ever tell the difference. I wear the same black strappy sandals with evey black formal outfit.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.
1/03 Explorer W. Carib.
8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour
2/04 Adventure S. Carib.
2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal
6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London
1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Admiral

There is one dressy black long sleeved "camp" shirt with a few sequins that started off with the palazzo pants for our first cruise at least 10 years ago old .. and as I've seen sales there has been a black long sleeved lace top, a plain knit black and now a short sleeved black on black ALL bought with the idea of going with something.. Somewhere in my closet is a black velvet long skirt. Since Parrot Pop wears a tux I've always thought on formal nights the black outfits compliment him.. So, I guess I'm not alone...As for the shoes..a pair for the winter and a pair for summer...both in black..lol... and from one of our first non-cruise trips a black macrame silk shawl from Cartegena. The secret for we women is always to shop at the end of the season, especially Xmas and New Years when formal type clothes are really marked down. Okay.. so now I'm getting ready for a week in Bermuda and late next fall another 2 week trans-atlantic..
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
katlady,

My DH had one tux for 3 nights and just changed the bowtie. As a woman I need 3 different formal night outfits. Also, 3 different shoes for each formal night outfit. My DH is losing his hair so he doesn't need curl iron, makeup or anything like that. So pack on Parrot Mom and don't let any MAN make you feel bad about it. And don't forgot the shoe suitcase.

You could bring one dress with three different sets of accessories to give it different looks.

Also, one pair of formal dress shoes in a neutral color (black, off-white, or silver, for example) would coordinate with all of your outfits.

But if you must pack a steamer trunk, I won't stop you.

Norm.
Norm,
It's over when the Katlady sings.
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapel
Quote:
katlady,

My DH had one tux for 3 nights and just changed the bowtie. As a woman I need 3 different formal night outfits. Also, 3 different shoes for each formal night outfit. My DH is losing his hair so he doesn't need curl iron, makeup or anything like that. So pack on Parrot Mom and don't let any MAN make you feel bad about it. And don't forgot the shoe suitcase.

You could bring one dress with three different sets of accessories to give it different looks.

Also, one pair of formal dress shoes in a neutral color (black, off-white, or silver, for example) would coordinate with all of your outfits.

But if you must pack a steamer trunk, I won't stop you.

Norm.
Norm,
It's over when the Katlady sings.
"I will Contuine to Overpack Overpack Overpack
I will contuine to Overpack Overpack Overpack
My fair Norm."
How do You like my song. I goes to the beat of London bridge is falling down. I gotta go now I need a steamer trunk and 5 new pair of shoes for my next cruise.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Katlady,

My fair Norm."

How do you like this verse?

"X-S bags are overweight, overweight, overweight,
X-S bags are overweight,
Airlines surcharge!"

Norm.
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Default dressing

For myself, I would like to have formal nights and dress up and feel that those nights are special on cruise ships.. With some of the outfits I've seen on cruise ships I wonder what people are thinking.. For examp. on the 17 day cruise a heavy set woman wearing white tights with tops...almost everyday.. Cruisers who do not want to dress on cruise ships for the dining room and go to the buffets..One gentleman at our table only wore a sweater each night.. Another couple (a real blowhard) wore a plaid jacket almost everynight that would have looked better on a horse...and formal night made comments about Parrot Pops tux..next formal night.. never showed up.. Sorry Norm, as for me.. I'd rather overpack..
Old August 8th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

For myself, I would like to have formal nights and dress up and feel that those nights are special on cruise ships.. With some of the outfits I've seen on cruise ships I wonder what people are thinking.. For examp. on the 17 day cruise a heavy set woman wearing white tights with tops...almost everyday.. Cruisers who do not want to dress on cruise ships for the dining room and go to the buffets..One gentleman at our table only wore a sweater each night.. Another couple (a real blowhard) wore a plaid jacket almost everynight that would have looked better on a horse...and formal night made comments about Parrot Pops tux..next formal night.. never showed up.. Sorry Norm, as for me.. I'd rather overpack..

There's a balance. We can have proper clothing for all occasions on a cruise ship without overpacking. The entire packing list in the "Packing Made Simple" thread on the "Cruise Dress and Packing" board, for example, fits into a two-suiter (26" rollerback) and a pilot's case (22" rollerback) for each person with some room to spare, and that's enough clothing for a fourteen night cruise without doing laundry. Last year, I added casual clothing for two more days in Rome and it still fit in that luggage.

But YMMV....

Norm.
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

On a cruise to Norway Fjord in 2002 aboard the Constellation the airline lost my luggage. For 8 days I went without luggage checking with the concierge's desk daily. I had one change of underware, socks and one pair of pants in the carryon.
I never missed a formal or a tour or a dinner. I was so happy it was not my wife's luggage. We did not cross pack this time. Shame on us, but we made out quite well. Celebrity was very kind and went out of their way to help, including a tux at no charge.
Of course you can make it on only a carry on, but who wants to do that. It was kind of easy in that there was no decision on what to wear. HA.
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Katlady,

My fair Norm."

X-S bags are overweight,
Airlines surcharge!"

Norm.
Norm,
Once the Katlady sings it's over. It ain't over the Katlady sings and now she has sung. HA!!
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Katlady,

My fair Norm."

X-S bags are overweight,
Airlines surcharge!"

Norm.
Next Verse?
"Driving to the port to the port to the port
Driving to the port
No surcharge!"

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 9th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

On our last 14 night cruise with my sister and her husband to Alaska, my brother-in-law sent out his holey tee shirt (that he sleeps in) to have it laundered. I think they charged $2.00 and also sent a note back saying they were sorry they couldn't get the (paint) stains out! We got a chuckle out of that one. Personally since we're already spending thousands of dollars for wonderful cruises, I would rather send out my laundry for a few dollars and spend time doing fun stuff on our vacation. I can always do laundry at home. (I sometimes overpack and pay the extra surcharge too...it's no big deal...except to my husband).
Old August 13th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Parrot Mom,

Another question.. have they added washing machines and dryers for passenger use yet on the newer ships.

No. Kuki's right. FBOW, part of Celebrity's "upscale" philosophy is that "upscale" passengers don't do their own laundry.

Which is why some of us bring clean clothing for fifteen days on cruises of fourteen nights....

Norm.
Royal Caribbean ships do not have them either-and Royal Caribbean is defientley not upscale.
Old August 13th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Just don't like anybody else doing my lingerie..lol