Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Default Which Celebrity Ship has washers and dryers for passengers

Another question.. have they added washing machines and dryers for passenger use yet on the newer ships.
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2006, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

nope.. celeb doesn't have self serve laundry facitilities.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 2nd, 2006, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

Another question.. have they added washing machines and dryers for passenger use yet on the newer ships.

No. Kuki's right. FBOW, part of Celebrity's "upscale" philosophy is that "upscale" passengers don't do their own laundry.

Which is why some of us bring clean clothing for fifteen days on cruises of fourteen nights....

Norm.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Norm... do you know how many suitcases I brought for a 17 day cruise plus a pre-stay!! The cab driver in Barcelona says he has always picked up cruise passengers, but he never saw anything like this!!!.. Oh..there was a smaller suitcase hiden inside a 30" Coming home including art work there were I think 10 pieces...lol I just don't like the idea of the ships laundry doing my intimates
Old July 2nd, 2006, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

do you know how many suitcases I brought for a 17 day cruise plus a pre-stay!! The cab driver in Barcelona says he has always picked up cruise passengers, but he never saw anything like this!!!.. Oh..there was a smaller suitcase hiden inside a 30" Coming home including art work there were I think 10 pieces...lol I just don't like the idea of the ships laundry doing my intimates

What in the world are you taking???

My entire packing list for a fourteen-day cruise plus three more sets of casual wear fits into a "two suiter" (26" roller back), a "pilot case" (22" roller back carry-on), and a standard briefcase with room to spare!

Norm.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Norm... do you know how many suitcases I brought for a 17 day cruise plus a pre-stay!! The cab driver in Barcelona says he has always picked up cruise passengers, but he never saw anything like this!!!.. Oh..there was a smaller suitcase hiden inside a 30" Coming home including art work there were I think 10 pieces...lol I just don't like the idea of the ships laundry doing my intimates
Old July 2nd, 2006, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Okay, there was a garment bag with tux, blazer and cocktail outfits..Two thirty inch with a 24 inch inserted , a roll on necessities bag and another roll on for our pre=stay in Barcelona... On the way home the 24" carried the t-shirts we bought at the ports to use for a memory quilt and a few gifts.. And our downfallwas art work that was take off..
Old July 2nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

Okay, there was a garment bag with tux, blazer and cocktail outfits..Two thirty inch with a 24 inch inserted , a roll on necessities bag and another roll on for our pre=stay in Barcelona... On the way home the 24" carried the t-shirts we bought at the ports to use for a memory quilt and a few gifts.. And our downfallwas art work that was take off..

It sounds like you are taking a lot more clothes than necessary. If you compare your packing list with mine (link in previous reply), you might find some things that you can eliminate.

I never use a garment bag for my formalwear. It goes in the suit compartment of the two-suiter. I have never had a problem with neatly folded clothes getting wrinkled, but I certainly can have the ship's laundry press the formalwear if the need ever arises.

I just don't like the idea of the ships laundry doing my intimates

Sorry that I did not pick up on this last time around, but "intimates" generally do not require much space at all. Nylon/lycra "intimates," which dry very quickly, that you can "hand wash" at night are also a viable option.

Norm.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 08:05 PM
Admiral

My motto is "you never know what your going to need"...and like most women.. I tend to overpack I believe
Old July 3rd, 2006, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
My motto is "you never know what your going to need"...and like most women.. I tend to overpack I believe
Men always claim we over pack. But I disagree we women need more stuff.

My DH had one tux for 3 nights and just changed the bowtie. As a woman I need 3 different formal night outfits. Also, 3 different shoes for each formal night outfit. My DH is losing his hair so he doesn't need curl iron, makeup or anything like that. So pack on Parrot Mom and don't let any MAN make you feel bad about it. And don't forgot the shoe suitcase.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 3rd, 2006, 05:17 PM
Admiral

katlady,

My DH had one tux for 3 nights and just changed the bowtie. As a woman I need 3 different formal night outfits. Also, 3 different shoes for each formal night outfit. My DH is losing his hair so he doesn't need curl iron, makeup or anything like that. So pack on Parrot Mom and don't let any MAN make you feel bad about it. And don't forgot the shoe suitcase.

You could bring one dress with three different sets of accessories to give it different looks.

Also, one pair of formal dress shoes in a neutral color (black, off-white, or silver, for example) would coordinate with all of your outfits.

But if you must pack a steamer trunk, I won't stop you.

Norm.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 05:28 PM
Admiral

My wife can pack all she wishes ..... but she has to lug her two full sized suitcases while I lug just one.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 3rd, 2006, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Norm Dear... y ou must be a batchelor....you don't understand women and their "needs"..lol I have improved for formal nights... black dressy pants and two or three tops that I can change around..that's a major improvement. I really try to mix and match....but you just don't what kind of mood your in or the atmosphere of a ship...and heaven forbid.. we wear the same outfit twice...lol.. And how do we know what the days in port are going to be like...cool, rainy or hot.. so we need a change of tops and slacks/capri/shorts.... and there has to be at least two bathing suits and cover ups.. Most of all I dress to my taste and no matter what my size I want to feel as if I look fresh as a daisy and confident.. At resorts or days at seaI can get away with wearing a bathing suit and cover up.. Yes, I am envious of women and men who walk on with one suitcase..but what the heck...This trip we are driving to the port and there is no baggage allowance..
Old July 3rd, 2006, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

I have improved for formal nights... black dressy pants...

Pants for ladies on "formal" evenings???

I guess that might fly on some lines, but I would not recommend it on Celebrity for sure.

...and heaven forbid.. we wear the same outfit twice...lol..

That's not exatly a social faux pas, and I know at least one gent who would never say a word if you were to do so.

And how do we know what the days in port are going to be like...cool, rainy or hot.. so we need a change of tops and slacks/capri/shorts.... and there has to be at least two bathing suits and cover ups.. Most of all I dress to my taste and no matter what my size I want to feel as if I look fresh as a daisy and confident..

My packing list provided for all of those situations, including two (2) swrimsuita snd cover-ups.

Yes, I am envious of women and men who walk on with one suitcase..but what the heck...This trip we are driving to the port and there is no baggage allowance..

That certainly allows you to bring more luggage, but it's rather difficult to drive to one's port of embarkation on a westbound tranatlantic cruise....

Norm.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Yes. black dressy crepe pants...or a long black skirt...!!!
Old July 3rd, 2006, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
AH! you talked of wearing pants on formal night in front of Norm Opps! But I have to be honest I wore my pink tutu on formal night on Celebrity and no one made me change. To view my pink tutu click below.
http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/image.php?id=55257

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

Methinks the long black skirt certainly is closer to Celebrity's guidelines for formal evenings than the pants.... BWDIK?

Norm.
Old July 4th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Admiral

8) Norm HNorm Dear Heart... I have no discovered your secret!!! You are ian ENGINEER in R&D here in MA...That says it all....I expect you wear a pen protector in your shirts..lol..From the eingineers that we are acquainted ewith...they are always RIGHT and go by the book!!![/i]
Old July 4th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

I have no discovered your secret!!! You are ian ENGINEER in R&D here in MA...That says it all....

Secret? That's no secret at all!

Admittedly we mathematically inclined folks do have some ability to pack things efficiently, though.

I expect you wear a pen protector in your shirts..lol..

I love blowing stereotypes out of the water! I usually wear polo shirts, which don't have pockets, and I never used a pen protector. We do pretty nearly everything on computers now.

I do know how to use a "slip stick" (slide rule), though!

... they are always RIGHT and go by the book!!!

On the R&D side, we're more concerned with writing "the book" for new advances. Of course, we don't ignore the base of current knowledge.

Norm.
Old July 4th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Admiral

You are so organized.. Here I am searching for a bag that holds two items I would like to use for a barbecue...scatter brain is more my category.. I assume since your on the net your not going to THE FIRWORKS on the Esplanade tonight..unless your condo overlooks the whole view
Old July 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Oh my gosh Norm ... you're so old-fashioned! Pant suits are just fine on Celebrity and other lines for formal nights. I wear black velvet and have 3 different tops depending on how many formal nights there might be. As to wearing the same thing twice - why not? I wear one top on boarding and that night and often might wear it again on the last night.

Have never understood why people are so worked up about the laundry facilities ... it's a vacation folks - enjoy! Even if you wear something twice, it's no big deal. As to intimates, they take practically no space but if you must - then hand wash them in your bathroom.

Relax!

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

I assume since your on the net your not going to THE FIRWORKS on the Esplanade tonight.

That' right. I can watch the whole concert on the tellie, with a much better view, without the pain of dealing with the crowds and the weather. Unfortunately, the national network does not televise the first part of it but our local station does cover it, with their own personnel.

... your condo...

Bite your tongue. I love in a [i[house[/i] in the 'burbs to the south of the city.

Norm.
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Admiral

CruzNut,

Oh my gosh Norm ... you're so old-fashioned!

Not really, but I do know better than to throw out the baby with the bath water. Some traditions are worth keeping.

Pant suits are just fine on Celebrity and other lines for formal nights.

Princess's dress code seems to admit formal pant suits, but Celebrity's dress code seems NOT to admit them.

In any case, the formal pant suits seem to be primarily te province of dear old -- and I do mean OLD -- ladies. I'm sure you are not old enough to wear that style.

As to wearing the same thing twice - why not?

Yes, that was exactly my point in reply to somebody who said that she needed three formal dresses.

Norm.
Old July 4th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
CruzNut,

Oh my gosh Norm ... you're so old-fashioned!

Not really, but I do know better than to throw out the baby with the bath water. Some traditions are worth keeping.

That's a man's point of view - women have been wearing formal pant suits for quite a while.

Pant suits are just fine on Celebrity and other lines for formal nights.

Princess's dress code seems to admit formal pant suits, but Celebrity's dress code seems NOT to admit them.

Having sailed on both lines - I have to disagree with you - they are acceptable on both ... and I have never seen Celebrity NOT admit them - or any other line. In the last 6 months, I've sailed on both Princess and Celebrity ... and I believe you quit sailing on Princess when Carnival bought them so you might not be up-to-date as to your Princess comments. You do say "seems" about both lines - however, I know from personal experience.

In any case, the formal pant suits seem to be primarily te province of dear old -- and I do mean OLD -- ladies. I'm sure you are not old enough to wear that style.

Wow is that chavanistic. Really women of all ages wear formal pant suits on cruise ships among other places. You might check out some of the fashion magazines.

Norm.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Hey now no need to go there. I decided to put sexy pantsuit in a yahoo search and if a old lady is wearing the pant suit I saw I say go for it granny.

Yes, that was exactly my point in reply to somebody who said that she needed three formal dresses.
If I had to fly in I would be worried but driving from sacramento to SFO is not a big deal the porter checks your bags at the curb anyway. But Norm you want people to dress nice and then tell them to not bring a different outfit for each formal night. I'm confused!!!!!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 5th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Cruznut,

Me: Princess's dress code seems to admit formal pant suits, but Celebrity's dress code seems NOT to admit them.

You: Having sailed on both lines - I have to disagree with you - they are acceptable on both ... and I have never seen Celebrity NOT admit them - or any other line. In the last 6 months, I've sailed on both Princess and Celebrity ... and I believe you quit sailing on Princess when Carnival bought them so you might not be up-to-date as to your Princess comments. You do say "seems" about both lines - however, I know from personal experience.

Yes, I changed from Princess to Celebrity in 2003 -- and I do not regret it. As an Elite member of Celebrity's Captain's Club, I have a pretty fair idea what people actually wear -- and I don't see anywhere near as many women wearing pant suits for formal evenings on Celebrity as on Princess. In the specifications of formal dress, Princess mentions pant suits explicitly whereas Celebrity does not.

Of course, practical reality is in enforcement. If the line does not stop somebody wearing a pant suit from entering the dining room, or the show, or whatever, the line is in fact admitting such attire whether it conforms to the published standard of dress or not.... which is why dress codes need to be enforced....

Me: In any case, the formal pant suits seem to be primarily te province of dear old -- and I do mean OLD -- ladies. I'm sure you are not old enough to wear that style.

You: Wow is that chavanistic. Really women of all ages wear formal pant suits on cruise ships among other places. You might check out some of the fashion magazines.

No, it's a empirical observation. On BOTH lines, nearly all of the women I have noticed wearing pant suits looked like they were well past the age of eighty.

Norm.
Old July 5th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Norm...this must be all tongue in cheek...right!! So, you come from south of Boston... that must mean you live in one of the high end town like Cohasset or Duxbury... where the ladies drive their big SUV's to go to Trader Joe's.. Being an old lady is a state of mind...Pant suits and cocktail pants (palazzo, crepe or whatever) with lace or sparkly tops isn't acceptable to you... I don't care if you wear the same suit or tuxedo every day...just change the color of your tie or shirt. Personally, I live West of Boston, y ou live South.. and there is a cruiser on another board that lives North.....your surrounded.. I'll make a wager you have NEVER, NEVER been on the Royal or NCL Majesty that leaves from Boston... am I right?
Old July 5th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Admiral

katlady,

I decided to put sexy pantsuit in a yahoo search and if a old lady is wearing the pant suit I saw I say go for it granny.

And what shows up is a jump suit rather than a pant suit.

But Norm you want people to dress nice and then tell them to not bring a different outfit for each formal night. I'm confused!!!!!

Back up a step. Do you buy new formalwear for each cruise?

There's no reason why a lady can't wear the same dress for two or even three formal evenings, with different accessories. If the dress is a neutral color, you can wear it with two or three different shawls, etc., that would create a radically different appearance for each formal evening. In fact, there were several staunch advocats of doing just that, making the "LBD" ("Little Black Dress") the foundation of their formal attire. Of course, the neutral color does not have to be black....

Norm.
Old July 5th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

So, you come from south of Boston... that must mean you live in one of the high end town like Cohasset or Duxbury... where the ladies drive their big SUV's to go to Trader Joe's..

There you go with the stereotypes again... Wrong on all counts. I live in a town that's about a 50/50 a mix of blue collar and white collar, and my neighborhood pretty much reflects that. It's an area where big SUV's are the exception -- there are NONE on my street. There are two guys who drive pick-up trucks, but at least one of them uses the truck in his work as an electrician.

Being an old lady is a state of mind...

In many cases, that's true. There was one regular at my church (now deceased) who, in her later years, routinely volunteered to assist "the elderly" -- many of whom were younger than she was -- at a local nursing home.

Pant suits and cocktail pants (palazzo, crepe or whatever) with lace or sparkly tops isn't acceptable to you...

I did not say that pant suits are not acceptable to me. Rather, I said that they do not seem to be within Celebrity's prescribed dress for formal evenings. There's a big difference.

I'll make a wager you have NEVER, NEVER been on the Royal or NCL Majesty that leaves from Boston... am I right?

I have not been on either line to date. I understand that Royal Cruises went out of business in the last couple years, so that's no longer an option, and Norwegian Cruise Line's "Freestyle Cruising" is not exactly my style. I'm seriously considering a cruise on Royal Caribbean, though, now that I don't need more cruise credits to attain higher standing in Celebrity's Captain's Club because there's no higher standing to attain.

Norm.
Old July 5th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Admiral

There's no reason why a lady can't wear the same dress for two or even three formal evenings, with different accessories. If the dress is a neutral color, you can wear it with two or three different shawls, etc., that would create a radically different appearance for each formal evening. In fact, there were several staunch advocats of doing just that, making the "LBD" ("Little Black Dress") the foundation of their formal attire. Of course, the neutral color does not have to be black....

BECAUSE WE ARE WOMEN!!!!! and I'm a Gemini who reserves the right to wear what I want and the right to change my mind as to what I am going to wear on any particular night.. You on the other hand wear a pair of pants and change from a white or colored shirt or maybe your daring and wear a Izod or Polo and wear a blazer....

That dear Norm is why there is a difference between men and women... and VIVA LA Difference.. If you have to check out on the internet what a pantsuit for women looks like... I think your working in a different atmosphere.. and except for cruises do not get out socially locally