Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Familiar Face

Default Infinity- Pod problems again????

Just read on another BB that the Infinity skipped Sitka and is returning to port several hours late. Hope this is just rumor, but sounds like the same thing that's happened before. The Infinity is a wonderful ship, just wish they could get the propulsion system working correctly. Let's just hope this problem is just a "minor" one and not one that needs drydocking again. God bless.

Joy and Peace in Christ,

Bob

Bob
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

I noticed yesterday they weren't in Sitka, nothing on the camera but open ocean, not a good sign . I also noticed it didn't seem they were at Hubbard Glacier the whole time they should have been there either. I leave in 2 weeks and I am sooooo excited!! I feel so bad for the rest of the folks leaving today and next week. As of right now, I have read that X is saying Infinity will arrive 4-5 hours late and leave Vancouver 8-32 hours late. That's quite a time span! I hope they don't have to miss any ports. It's not a very port intensive itinerary to begin with. I'm sure we will be hearing more as soon as the pax get a chance to get off the ship and let us know what's going on. I'm sure the internet cafe is PACKED with people trying to change their flights!
Old July 17th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Read a review on this cruise and it appears at this point that it may be an electrical problem as opposed to the recurrent pod problems. This is just a tentative report at this point. Also appears to be some sickness on board.

Don
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Passenger

im a flight attendant from england currently in vancouver and noticed a lot of action at th cruise port...the infinity was due to sale 16th july a however all passenger were still sta on their luggage at 6pm that evening dockside and had been told there was engone problems and if they could fix it it would sail a day late and miss out one alsakan port......its now 17th july and i can still see it sat there in port not going anywhere so maybe the problem is worse than they first thought
Old July 17th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Admiral

The ship is scheduled to leave at 4:00P.M. PST which is about 12 minutes from when I posted this. It is not a pod problem, it was an electrical problem according to spokesmen from Celebrity. They specifically stated it is not in any way related to the previous pod problems. Passengers have been on the ship for most of the day.

Don
Old July 17th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Infinity is back at sea, just checked the web cam.

Don
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Passenger

Just arrived back in Uk from Vancouver & Infinity. We escaped from it on Sunday thank goodness! There were many people very ill, including myself and we were on honeymoon!! got married on the ship on July 9th, first few days OK but then things just got worse and worse. Complaint letters to celebrity will be written. Their hygiene standards are not as good as other lines ( P & O & Princess) so it's no wonder it spread like wild fire. The hospital were running short on medical supplies by Saturday. Then they kept us in the port for 2 hours after we got off the ship -total cock-up! Grrrrh..... never sail with Celebrity again. Would be interested to hear from others with similar problems.
Judith
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Have read other boards and seen some bad reviews such as the one above. Other reviews were excellent considering the problems. Celebrity has also given a very generous compensation to those on the cruise, IMHO. I believe it is $500 per person on board credit and $200 pp off future cruise. Seems pretty good for missing one port and getting in a little late.

Don
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Passenger

$500 per room not per person! We also missed the Inside passage returning and were at open sea for 2 days- not good, especially with so many people ill.
Old July 18th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshlady
$500 per room not per person! We also missed the Inside passage returning and were at open sea for 2 days- not good, especially with so many people ill.
Even $500 per cabin, that is the most generous credit I have seen in all my years of traveling and being a TA. NMNita
Old July 18th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Judith,

[Celebrity's] hygiene standards are not as good as other lines ( P & O & Princess) so it's no wonder it spread like wild fire.

Would you please explain?

After thirteen cruises on Princess and seven on Celebrity, this is setting of my "B. S." detector. In my experience, Celebrity does not cut any slack with regard to the three S's -- Safety, Security, and Sanitation.

Norm.
Old July 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Looks like Infinity might still be having problems . The webcam shows it in open ocean and from my understanding it should be in Ketchikan. I was under the impression they would run the same itinerary one day behind, skipping Sitka. Maybe not, maybe they had to switch up the intinerary to make room at the docks??
Old July 20th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to clearbluewater33

they completely switched the itinerary. Hubbard today, Ketckikan, Juneua and back.
Old July 25th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshlady
Just arrived back in Uk from Vancouver & Infinity. We escaped from it on Sunday thank goodness! There were many people very ill, including myself and we were on honeymoon!! got married on the ship on July 9th, first few days OK but then things just got worse and worse. Complaint letters to celebrity will be written. Their hygiene standards are not as good as other lines ( P & O & Princess) so it's no wonder it spread like wild fire. The hospital were running short on medical supplies by Saturday. Then they kept us in the port for 2 hours after we got off the ship -total cock-up! Grrrrh..... never sail with Celebrity again. Would be interested to hear from others with similar problems.
Judith
Judith,
I think that Celebrity does an excellent job in trying to prevent illness, but sometimes it can't be prevented. Most of the time the illness is brought on the ship by a passenger who coantaminates the crew who then spreads it back to passengers etc.
What else can be done besides hand clensing? If one has a cold, should they wear a mask. Walking around the ship with a mask on would make one look like they had leprosy.
If someone was sneezing and coughing at time of embarkation, should they be denied boarding?
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Passenger

I feel that Celebrity could have done more to encourage hand cleansing at the restaurant entrances and their cleaning procedures were not very thorough. We saw people cleaning handrails and lifts one day but then nothing again after that. It's pretty obvious that people will carry on bugs, sometimes unknowingly, but the ships should be kept clean and 'prevention is better than cure'.