Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Beginner

Default Rec. excursions for 40 yr old couple on Panama Canal cruise

We are going on the Summit 14 night Westbound Panama Canal cruise in Feb. 07 and want recommendations on good excursions for an active couple in their mid fourties. The ports we will be in are: Oranuestad, Aruba; Fuerte Amador, Panama; Puntarenas, Costa Rica; Hualtaco, Mexico; Cabo San Lucas, Mexico; and Acapulco, Mexico. We are open to excursions offerred by Celebrity or ones we can do on our own.
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Admiral

denisenavarra,

We are going on the Summit 14 night Westbound Panama Canal cruise in Feb. 07 and want recommendations on good excursions for an active couple in their mid fourties. The ports we will be in are: Oranuestad, Aruba; Fuerte Amador, Panama; Puntarenas, Costa Rica; Hualtaco, Mexico; Cabo San Lucas, Mexico; and Acapulco, Mexico. We are open to excursions offerred by Celebrity or ones we can do on our own.

Okay, let's take them one at a time.

>> Oranuestad, Aruba: The catamaran sail, snorkel, barbecue, and beach excursion is absolutely wonderful.

>> Fuerte Amador, Panama: This is a brief stop after the transit, during the dinner and show hour, so forget about going ashore.

>> Puntarenas, Costa Rica: The excursion to Sarchi and Grecia (called a "shopping" excursion in Celebirty's literature, but there's really a lot more to it than that) is quite interesting, and closer to the port than most of the other attractions and you'll also have a chance to see some of the luch countryside. You also can walk into the village of Puntarenas, located right at the end of the pier, on your own. I'm thinking that there might also be a hiking and/or zip line expedition through the rain forest, but I don't recall the details.

>> Hualtaco, Mexico: Any of the boat & beach excursions would be great.

>> Acapulco, Mexico: I'm not sure that there's much in the way of very active excursions, but any of the city highlights tours are worthwhile if you have not been to Acapulco before.

>> Cabo San Lucas, Mexico: Take any of the boat excursions to "los arcos" ("the arches") at "land's end" -- that area is teaming with all sorts of wildlife as well as impressive natural rock formaitons. Some of these excursions combine "los arcos" with time at a beach resort, snorkeling, or other activities.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old July 17th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Acapulco...hire an a/c car and take a tour of the city, the flea market and of course the nutty cliff divers. . The cliff divers to go down is $5.00 and that includes a drink, beer or toic.. In the old flea market check out the leather belts...

Cabo San Lucas...if they offer a trip to see the whales go for it...swimming isn't a strong point there..the water is too rough..

Hualtalco.. a laid back Mexican town.. beach probably.. get a driver to take y ou

Puntaranes..well, there is a great little flea maket at the end of the dock.. be on the look out for shirts decorated by the Kuna Indians.. If you can fiind somebody else.. rent a taxi a/c and go up to Sarchi... there is a lovely iron church, very colorful ox carts.. and I rememvber we sat and had a hamburgers and cold drink...for almost nothing..

Panama..well, if you cAn take a tour to see the San Blas Islands do it.. but this I have read is not one port you want to go off on your own..
Old July 18th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Acapulco...hire an a/c car and take a tour of the city, the flea market and of course the nutty cliff divers. . The cliff divers to go down is $5.00 and that includes a drink, beer or toic.. In the old flea market check out the leather belts...

Cabo San Lucas...if they offer a trip to see the whales go for it...swimming isn't a strong point there..the water is too rough..

Hualtalco.. a laid back Mexican town.. beach probably.. get a driver to take y ou

Puntaranes..well, there is a great little flea maket at the end of the dock.. be on the look out for shirts decorated by the Kuna Indians.. If you can fiind somebody else.. rent a taxi a/c and go up to Sarchi... there is a lovely iron church, very colorful ox carts.. and I rememvber we sat and had a hamburgers and cold drink...for almost nothing..

Panama..well, if you cAn take a tour to see the San Blas Islands do it.. but this I have read is not one port you want to go off on your own..
We are doing the canal in November and from what I have read, we do intend on doing anything in Panama. If we did it certainly would be a ship sponsored tour. NMnita
Old July 18th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

I have been to Cabo San Lucas many times, and have never encountered water that was too rough for swimming there.

The hours on this port of call are something like 18:30 to 22:00. A tour of the San Blas Islands is not in the cards.

Norm.