CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Why are the fares for Royal Caribbean higher than Celebrity? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/317900-why-fares-royal-caribbean-higher-than-celebrity.html)

SoCalGal July 26th, 2006 11:57 PM

Why are the fares for Royal Caribbean higher than Celebrity?

I have been comparing prices for Alaska Cruisetours and have found that Royal Caribbean is quite a lot higher for most of the cruises I'm interested in (13 nights). Just wondering why this is so since the itineraries are very similar for the most part. We have sailed on Celebrity several times, Mille in Europe and Summit to Alaska...we think they are wonderful ships. So what's with Royal Caribbean, anyone know why they are so much higher?

Thanks!

scapel July 27th, 2006 03:46 PM

Re: Why are the fares for Royal Caribbean higher than Celebr

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalGal
I have been comparing prices for Alaska Cruisetours and have found that Royal Caribbean is quite a lot higher for most of the cruises I'm interested in (13 nights). Just wondering why this is so since the itineraries are very similar for the most part. We have sailed on Celebrity several times, Mille in Europe and Summit to Alaska...we think they are wonderful ships. So what's with Royal Caribbean, anyone know why they are so much higher?

Thanks!

If you are comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges, I haven't a clue.

SoCalGal July 28th, 2006 01:06 PM

I have a feeling Royal Caribbean is a lemon when it comes to pricing.

skymaster July 29th, 2006 12:58 PM

The RCL ships are probably filling up faster than the Celebrity ships. Those of us in the know, will most likely go for the Celebrity ships, and can benefit from the fact that RCL is the "better known" line. I'd take advantage of the situation, and book Celebrity myself! If you really want the RCL cruise, then book it, and watch for a price reduction later. When that happens, call RCL, or your agent and get the refund, or onboard credit. It's a win/win situation! :D
Happy sailing,
Ken

CruzNut July 30th, 2006 12:31 AM

Probably cuz RCI's latest quarterly stock report shows they're making less money! :wink: Or, possibly because the word is out that the food and service is only so-so on RCI ... and Celebrity cares so little about people who have booked cruises next spring on the Connie that they've cancelled all the bookings on those cruises - a total of three involving possibly over 5,000 people!

Actually - the prices are probably higher because they can get away with it. Try Princess instead.

Kuki July 30th, 2006 12:42 AM

RCI has grown a huge demand of late in family cruising. With lots of families booking, ships are booking up early, and thus prices rise.

wiscguy2 July 30th, 2006 12:04 PM

Kuki ... you hit the nail on the head. It is simply an economics issue. When demand is high, prices will rise. If you try booking a cruise on most of RCL ships, many have limited availability on staterooms. For the first time in many years, they are not offering stateroom guarantees on the website... so business must be good. I wonder how well Carnival is doing, as I get emails from them nearly every week with substantial discounts being offered.

cookie1207 July 30th, 2006 12:27 PM

Pricing for Caribbean are actually going down on almost all lines. Europe and Alaska seem to remain strong(higher priced) for RCCL and Celebrity .(according to there earnings report last week)
Discounting on Celebrity and RCCL are not being done until late bookings.(except the Caribbean). Very few early booking discounts on anything other than Caribbean.

SoCalGal July 30th, 2006 02:55 PM

We sailed on Princess years ago (our very first cruise) and liked the experience very much. But we've heard that their service and food quality is not comparable to Celebrity. I'll check into it further to see what they have to offer for the Alaska cruise.

Thanks guys

scapel July 30th, 2006 05:18 PM

Quote:

We sailed on Princess years ago (our very first cruise) and liked the experience very much. But we've heard that their service and food quality is not comparable to Celebrity. I'll check into it further to see what they have to offer for the Alaska cruise.

Thanks guys

I'm a Celebrity passenger and have never been on Princess. For Alaska, remember that Princess and I think HAL is grandfathered for Glacier Bay and Celebrity or RCL is not allowed to visit Glacier Bay. I have been to Alaska three times, never to Glacier Bary. Hubbard Glacier (where Celebrity and RCI visit) is very beautiful.

cookie1207 July 30th, 2006 08:52 PM

Done Alaska 8 times(just got back 2 weeks ago on Princess). In my opinion, Hubbard beats Glacier Bay anytime.

By the way, Princess food is good, but Celebrity is still better.

Lightsluvr July 30th, 2006 09:07 PM

Can you give us some examples?

SoCalgal,

Can you give us examples of itineraries where RCI comes in higher than Celebrity?

Thanks.

LL

scapel July 30th, 2006 11:33 PM

Re: Can you give us some examples?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightsluvr
SoCalgal,

Can you give us examples of itineraries where RCI comes in higher than Celebrity?

Thanks.

LL

Not sure what you mean. I think Celebrity is better than RCCL. RCI owns Celebrity and RCCL. Itineraries would be the same available. It would just be where the cruise is going and where you want to go. The only limitation I knew of was in Alaska.

SoCalGal July 31st, 2006 05:49 PM

lightsluvr,

I checked into all Alaskan cruisetours (13 nights) that are 7 days at sea and 6 on land. The comparison was always $700.00 to $1,000.00 more on RCI than on Celebrity. I am choosing comparable staterooms and almost identical itineraries. We always book Concierge Class staterooms.
Cruisetour on Celebrity came in at $6300.00 which included air from Ontario, CA. RCI was about $7500.00 for a D-1 Stateroom. These cruises are for early June 2007.

Itnierary: RCI
Cruise 7 night northbound from Vancouver, Inside passage, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Hubbard Glacier and Seward. Land pkg:
Anchorage 1 night, Talkeetna, 2 nights, Denali 1 night, Fairbanks 2 nights

Itinerary: Celebrity
Cruise 7 night northbound from Vancouver, Inside Passage, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Hubbard Glacier, Seward. land pkg:
Anchorage 1 night, Talkeetna 2 nights, Denali 1 night and Fairbanks 2 nights. )The alternative land pkg. for Celebrity is Seward 1 night, Anchorage 1 night, Talkeetna 1 night, Denali 2 nights and back to Anchorage 1 night. This itinerary is $200.00 more).

Lightsluvr July 31st, 2006 05:58 PM

Thanks for the comparison -

Thanks SoCalGal - we are looking at returning to Alaska for a cruise tour in 2008. Your observation will have us looking at Celebrity, perhaps for the first time. (We just achieved Diamond on RCCL.)

I think the supply and demand suggestions are on point. In addition, Celebrity's Infinity has gotten some bad press that X may be trying to repair...

LL

SoCalGal July 31st, 2006 06:58 PM

I have never been on RCI and I understand they have very glitzy ships compared to Celebrity, and lots of activities. Celebrity is not glitzy, has wonderful food and service and is probably too reserved for many people. But we like it because of those reasons, plus very comfortable staterooms and the fact they have very good itineraries for a reasonable price.

wiscguy2 July 31st, 2006 11:28 PM

Lightsluvr.... I think you have a good point with the bad press that Celebrity has had with the pod problems they have encountered several times now... and seems like they consistently occur on the Alaska cruises. When checking the websites myself... I found several cruisetours on Celebrity to be priced much higher then RCI cruises... and a few vice versa. Wondering if maybe there was an error on the website... which I have seen several times in past. Although they were usually to the benefit of the cruise line and not the pax.

Lightsluvr August 1st, 2006 10:03 AM

Thanks wiscguy2

We cancelled a 2007 return to Alaska on Radiance, and we are now considering our first cruise on Celebrity (where we will still enjoy the equivalent of our Diamond C&A status). It will be one of their cruisetours to Alaska. I guess we'll just hide and watch until the schedules come out...

LL

kmm44 August 7th, 2006 10:52 PM

We cruise only RCI and Celebrity and I can say there is not a whole lot of difference. I might have said Celebrity had a slight edge in the food dept. But we were on the Jewel in June for the Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords cruise and the food was the best I've had on either line. The service was perfect and we had a super great time. Of course, we always have a super great time no matter what the ship. But truly, the food was the best we've had so far and we never use the "specialty" restaurants.
If there are problems on any ship, it doesn't translate to tainting the whole line with the same brush.
For the person who is reconsidering which ship to take to Alaska--I would highly recommend the Summit. We sailed her in Aug. '03 and it was our first Celebrity cruise. We didn't make the choice because we were traveling with friends who got us in on a group package. We had sailed Explorer twice and wondered how we would like a smaller ship on another line. But we loved the Summit and later fell in love with Galaxy and are expecting to fall in love with Mercury next Jan. We also loved Adventure and Jewel. I don't think you can go wrong with either line and it's nice that they are "sisters" so to speak.
I did some research on who goes to Aus/NZ and at first it looked like we would have to try Princess, but now it's been announced that Mercury will start the Sydney-Aukland and vice versa itineraries late next year. That means our next 3 cruises will be Celebrity: Mercury to Mexican Riviera (booked 2 weeks ago), Galaxy to the Med.(we chose this because of the 5-day land tour to Italy that RCI didn't offer and the smaller ships are usually cheaper) and Mercury to Aus/NZ. I would try Princess if my favorites did not go somewhere, but now it's not necessary.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.
1/03 Explorer W. Carib.
8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour
2/04 Adventure S. Carib.
2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal
6/06 Jewel Brit. isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London
1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

SoCalGal August 8th, 2006 03:10 PM

kmm44,

We feel so spoiled by Celebrity that it would be hard to change to another cruise line at this point. We are also looking at the Aus/NZ trip on the Mercury. Are the Mercury and Galaxy sister ships? And how do they compare with the Summit/Millennium ships that we have previously sailed on? Are their staterooms similar (Concierge Class)?

Thanks!

(We lived in Dayton for a short time (husband worked at Wright-Patterson many years ago).

Rev22:17 August 8th, 2006 06:55 PM

SoCalGal,

Are the Mercury and Galaxy sister ships?

Yes. There are a few differences in layout, espeically in the area of the cinema, and in assignment of spaces, but they are pretty minor.

Celebrity's web site wrongly refers to these two vessels as part of the Century class. In fact, they are a different design from MV Century and thus correctly called the Galaxy class. MV Century is a "one of a kind."

And how do they compare with the Summit/Millennium ships that we have previously sailed on?

The ships of the Millennium class (GTS Millennium, GTS Infinity, GTS Constellation, and GTS Summit) basically gained a specialty restaurant and lost a night club compared to MV Galaxy and MV Mercury. Of course, some facilities like the cinema moved to different locations in the newer class of vessels and there are some differneces in layout. Overall, these ships are pretty comparable. The newer class is only about 10% larger than the older class, so the difference in size is not really significant.

Are their staterooms similar (Concierge Class)?

They are pretty comparable for similar categories. There may be minor differences in layout and furnishings.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

momofmeg August 13th, 2006 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruzNut
Probably cuz RCI's latest quarterly stock report shows they're making less money! :wink: Or, possibly because the word is out that the food and service is only so-so on RCI ... and Celebrity cares so little about people who have booked cruises next spring on the Connie that they've cancelled all the bookings on those cruises - a total of three involving possibly over 5,000 people!

Actually - the prices are probably higher because they can get away with it. Try Princess instead.

The same thing happened to me for a fall 2007 Jewel of the Seas cruise- both ships it is because of scheduling drydock. I did not feel Royal was too concerned about my cruise being canceled either.

I will say this. Last October I was on Mariner fo the Seas-one of RCCL's newiest ships-and it was just "so-so". Four months later I took a 5 day cruise on Celebrity Zenith-Celebrity's oldest ship for HALF the price of MOS.

Guess which cruise I liked the best? I could not believe how wonderful the Zenith was for such an old ship and the food was much much better.

No Chops or Porotofinos on the Zenith but my steaks on the Zenith were every bit as good as my fillet migon steak at Chops and much better then that Black Angus steak MOS offered in the main dinningroom.

momofmeg August 13th, 2006 06:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys

I have heard tha ttoo and I will be on the Caribbean Princess in Oct. so I can compare after that.

I have a cruise booked on the Connie fall 2007.

selctsys September 9th, 2006 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki
RCI has grown a huge demand of late in family cruising. With lots of families booking, ships are booking up early, and thus prices rise.

Exactly right. We have been travelling almost exclusively on RCI because of the family activities and facilities. In fact I was coming to this board to see what the family experience was like on Celebrity.

cruznut6 September 10th, 2006 08:52 AM

Norm

Aren't the "Millennium Class" ships considered "GTS" rather than "MV"? I agree with your description of both Classes. The one major difference I found was the vibration was nil on the Millennium Class ships in the dining area and aft when leaving shallow ports. I love all their ships and would sail any of them with the right itinerary.

scapel September 10th, 2006 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruznut6
Norm

Aren't the "Millennium Class" ships considered "GTS" rather than "MV"? I agree with your description of both Classes. The one major difference I found was the vibration was nil on the Millennium Class ships in the dining area and aft when leaving shallow ports. I love all their ships and would sail any of them with the right itinerary.

HI,
You are correct in the fact that the four Millennium Ships are GTS. Apparently they think the Gas turbine is not producing enough electrical power via generators that the ship requires at certain times. I would persume that is the reason for installing a standard diesel generator for backup to be used at certain times. The pods run on electric power and that is the reason they are so smooth without vibration. There must be a defect in the design of the bearing cooling process causing the frequent failure on mostly the Infinity I think.
Vibration: When the ship is turning (on its own axis) or moving sideways there will be some vibration because the pods are turned at a right angle moving the ship sideways. This is the only time I noticed any vibration on any of the Millennium ships.

Rev22:17 September 11th, 2006 10:26 PM

cruznut6,

Aren't the "Millennium Class" ships considered "GTS" rather than "MV"?

Yes, you are absolutely right -- and I knew better than to refer to them as "MV" but must have "spaced" in a moment of exhaustion. In any case, I fixed my error.

Norm.

Rev22:17 September 11th, 2006 10:50 PM

scapel

Apparently they think the Gas turbine is not producing enough electrical power via generators that the ship requires at certain times.

No, the gas turbines are producing plenty of power. The problem is that gas turbines lose efficiency very quickly when they operate at less than full power. When these ships are in port, they often have to run a generator to supply so-called "base" electrical loads -- room lighting, services such as the laundry, the galley, the distilling plant, and the sewage treatment system, etc. -- but that's not sufficient to load a generator completely. The diesel generator will supply these "base" loads a lot more efficiently than a gas turbine generator. With the escalated fuel prices, management determined that the savings in fuel would buy the diesel generators and pay for their installation a very short time. Thus, it makes sense, from a business perspective, to install them as soon as possible.

The pods run on electric power and that is the reason they are so smooth without vibration.

It's true that pods run on electric power, but steam turbines would be just as smooth. In fact, the electric motors are so smooth only because they use a three phase electrical supply. A single phase motor, like a larger version of the standard motors in most home appliances, would vibrate very noticeably.

There must be a defect in the design of the bearing cooling process causing the frequent failure on mostly the Infinity I think.

Emergency repairs of bearings in the Azipod units have been pretty much an annual event on all four ships of the Millennium class. The most common failure has been the main thrust bearing, though other bearings have failed on a few occasions.

The biggest problem with these systems is not so much that bearings have occasionally failed, but rather that the Azipod configuration puts these bearings in external pods where they are accessible only when the ship is in drydock. A conventional shaft would put the main thrust bearings and the propulsion motors inside the hull, where the crew would be able to repair them while the ship is underway.

Norm.

Cassandra September 13th, 2006 10:22 AM

As far as the food goes, take the opinions of the different ships with a grain of salt.

Nobody will ever like the same thing. I for instance, hate seafood, but others reading this obviously love it. Would I complain if one line serves more seafood than another? Nope.

What others might consider "food not so great", others might love it. People whine about the Windjammer or the dining room all the time about the food. I personally had no issues with either one. I loved it! So what others might not like you might love. It's all about preferences. Some people are picky eaters, some aren't.

kmm44 September 19th, 2006 05:47 PM

Socogal--DH retired from WPAFB 1/97 after 33 yrs. and worked for a consulting contractor off and on for 8 yrs after that--the last 4+ years back at WPAFB in the same building he worked in before.
As to your question about an RCI itinerary that was more $$ than Celebrity--I had my heart set to sail Brilliance to the Panama Canal last year, but was horrified to see how expensive it was (and almost sold out, to boot). So I checked Celebrity and found the Galaxy cruise to be $700 less and ONE MORE DAY with plenty of cabins left.
I checked out both lines to Mexico and found that RCI has only a 7-night (Vision) with 3 ports. Mercury's 11-night with 6 all-Mexico ports is $50 less per day than Vision and $40 less per day than Infinity's 11-night with 2 US ports and only 4 Mexican ports. Than was the deciding factor in our choice of Mercury. But we feel comfortable with both lines and would have chosen RCI if it had been the best deal.
I'm considering Mercury a sister to Galaxy because they are the same size, but evidently as you saw above there are some differences in layout. Summit is a larger ship, but not a whole lot different from Galaxy. We loved them both and expect to love Mercury. We stick to RCI and Celebrity, choosing our ships depending on itinerary and price. My step-sis, our TA, started us out with Explorer because I had no idea about anything and we were hooked on cruising the first time and we wondered if we would ever like any other smaller class ship.
As I said in my first post, we went along with friends on Summit and loved it also. So RCI and Celebrity are OUR lines and we haven't felt an urge to try others. I thought we would have to switch to Princess for Aus/NZ but the very next day after my research, I found out Mercury was starting that itin. So no more changes for us. But we would've sailed Princess if necessary.
The only thing we think has changed is our preference for longer cruises. Galaxy spoiled us with the 11-night, then 12 on Jewel and now 11 on Mercury to Mex., with 11 on Galaxy to the Med and 14 on Mercury to Aus/NZ in the future. Then probably a 14 or 16 to S. Amer. Life's too short to go without cruises! :D
Thank you Cassandra for putting out the best comment about the food. Everyone's tastes are different and just because someone complains about something is no reason to reject it. I felt the same way about our local food critic, who has just retired. :D If she panned a restaurant, I would want to try it because I thought she was too picky and "gourmet" to live in the real world.
Personally, I thought the Windjammer on Jewel was the best I've seen and tasted on any of our 4 RCI cruises and even buffets on the 2 Celeb. We ate there more than ever because of our port-intensive cruise--early excursions made eating quickie breakfasts there a necessity and the dining room was closed for lunch on all 9 port days.
One of the Roll Call posters on our Jewel cruise thread said the food was "...fair, not many choices..." HUH?? Was he on the same cruise?
Yes, he was because I met him and my first impression was that he was a first-class snob. Most people don't dine regularly if ever at 5* restaurants (I never have) so you can't judge cruiseline food by that standard. But some people do and it's very misleading.
My advice is: try it for yourself.