Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Passenger

Default Celebrity Summit, informal night

Hi.
We sail in three days on the Summit (Alaska). I've been reading some posts about the dinner dress code, and now I am confused. I understand formal and casual nights. But informal............. My husband plans to wear a tux to formal and a suit to informal. I plan to wear a black pants with a sparkly top and jacket. Will we be over-dressed?
Help please!
Cheryl-Beth
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

The dress code is just fine.
Informal for men can be as simple as a sport coat with tie optional.

Old August 9th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

You'll see an array of what people think informal means. Anywhere from a suit and tie to golf shirts and dockers. Try to follow the guidelines that the cruise line suggests. My husband takes one sport coat and tie for most of our 14 night cruises. Sometimes he wears the tie with the sportcoat and slacks and other times he just wears a nice shirt and slacks. To me, it is so much nicer to be over-dressed than under-dressed. Just use your own common sense. Have fun and don't fret over it.
Old August 9th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Cheryl-Beth,

We sail in three days on the Summit (Alaska).

Great ship and itinerary!

I've been reading some posts about the dinner dress code, and now I am confused. I understand formal and casual nights. But informal............. My husband plans to wear a tux to formal and a suit to informal. I plan to wear a black pants with a sparkly top and jacket. Will we be over-dressed?

Unfortunately, Celebirty is currently publishing standards of dress in three different places (web site, pre-cruise information package, and aboard ship), and no two are the same for "informal" evenings. As published aboard ship (which is what binds), the standard stipulates that men wear a sport shirt, dress slacks, and a sport coat, and that a necktie is optional.

I don't recall the actual standard as published for ladies, but most ladies seem to wear either cocktail dresses or skirts with nice tops in my experience. Ladies seem to take Celebrity's guidance for "casual" and "informal" evenings as a minimum.

Norm.
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:09 PM
First Mate

can't believe these threads never end & we all respond-- guess everyone wants to fit in & also preserve the nice manner of dress usually observed on celebrity.... Sorry to differ but informal is more than dockers & a golf shirt--that's more of what we see on casual night. First poster's plan is correct. & they will not be overdressed! Interestingly we are cruising on QM 2 next & everyone is very clear about the most formal nights (balls) & the next level of dress-- they make it fairly clear in the materials several times!
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Admiral

hcat,

Sorry to differ but informal is more than dockers & a golf shirt--that's more of what we see on casual night.

Yes, that's right. It requires a sport coat for gentlemen.

... they will not be overdressed!

Short of wearing a tuxedo or a ball gown on casual night, is it possible to be "overdressed" on Celebrity???

Seriously, I have seen some folks wearing very dressy duds even on "casual" evenings!

You, about Cunard Lines Ltd: ... they make it fairly clear in the materials several times!

Sigh....

Once should be sufficient, but obviously Cunard obviously is beset by the same sort of clueless passengers as the less expensive lines. It's time to start pushing for classes in social etiquette in our schools because parents who don't understand social etiquette clearly cannot teach it at home....

Actually, JTOL, the problem might be even worse aboard MV (RMS?) Queen Mary 2. There are a lot of people who have never taken a cruise but who fantacize and romanticize about travelling on what they perceive to be the world's fanciest ocean liner....

Norm.